Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Barcelona or Madrid? 16:10 - Sep 23 with 1024 viewsSwanDownUnder

La Latina in Madrid is one of my fave places
Barcelona or Madrid? on 16:10 - Sep 23 with 1019 viewsCooperman

Seville.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Barcelona or Madrid? on 16:13 - Sep 23 with 1016 viewsSwanDownUnder

Never been, I'm taking this as a recommendation.
Barcelona or Madrid? on 16:37 - Sep 23 with 994 viewsCooperman

Barcelona or Madrid? on 16:13 - Sep 23 by SwanDownUnder

Never been, I'm taking this as a recommendation.

It sure is. I prefer a more sedate environment for a Euro city break and I find the sprawling metropolis of both Barcelona and Madrid too much for my liking. That said I can appreciate why you've highlighted Barrio de la Latina as it is reallly is lovely on a late summers evening. Seville is far more compact and bijou for a few days of touring and with sufficient architectural and culinary delights to keep me enthralled. Changing the subject way from Spain, Bologna is another place that has recently captured my heart and again this is sufficiently small enough to manage on foot over a couple of days.

Barcelona or Madrid? on 19:08 - Sep 23 with 937 viewskrunchykarrot

Barcelona or Madrid? on 16:37 - Sep 23 by Cooperman

It sure is. I prefer a more sedate environment for a Euro city break and I find the sprawling metropolis of both Barcelona and Madrid too much for my liking. That said I can appreciate why you've highlighted Barrio de la Latina as it is reallly is lovely on a late summers evening. Seville is far more compact and bijou for a few days of touring and with sufficient architectural and culinary delights to keep me enthralled. Changing the subject way from Spain, Bologna is another place that has recently captured my heart and again this is sufficiently small enough to manage on foot over a couple of days.

Where do you fly from and any hotel suggestions please?
Barcelona or Madrid? on 23:25 - Sep 23 with 861 viewsCooperman

Barcelona or Madrid? on 19:08 - Sep 23 by krunchykarrot

Where do you fly from and any hotel suggestions please?

For Seville - we booked a flight and hotel combo in a BA flash sale. Stayed at Casa de Indias which was nice but the flights were from Gatwick which is a pain. EasyJet also fly from Bristol.

For Bologna - three flights a day out of Heathrow. I stay at the Royal Hotel Carlton but this is work travel rather than social pleasure and I'd guess that there is better VFM elsewhere within the city centre.

Barcelona or Madrid? on 11:59 - Sep 24 with 786 viewskrunchykarrot

Barcelona or Madrid? on 23:25 - Sep 23 by Cooperman

For Seville - we booked a flight and hotel combo in a BA flash sale. Stayed at Casa de Indias which was nice but the flights were from Gatwick which is a pain. EasyJet also fly from Bristol.

For Bologna - three flights a day out of Heathrow. I stay at the Royal Hotel Carlton but this is work travel rather than social pleasure and I'd guess that there is better VFM elsewhere within the city centre.

Cheers
Barcelona or Madrid? on 12:07 - Sep 24 with 780 viewsPegojack

Barcelona or Madrid? on 23:25 - Sep 23 by Cooperman

I also love Bologna, great place for a long weekend break.
I went a year or two ago and stayed in the Millenn Hotel, a reasonable budget joint within walking distance of the station and not far from the city centre.
Check out Il Valerio, a fab pizza restaurant a few hundred yards from the hotel.
Also, I broke my opera duck there, its not too bad price wise and they have a lovely opera house.
Barcelona or Madrid? on 14:23 - Sep 24 with 746 viewsCooperman

Barcelona or Madrid? on 12:07 - Sep 24 by Pegojack

I also love Bologna, great place for a long weekend break.
I went a year or two ago and stayed in the Millenn Hotel, a reasonable budget joint within walking distance of the station and not far from the city centre.
Check out Il Valerio, a fab pizza restaurant a few hundred yards from the hotel.
Also, I broke my opera duck there, its not too bad price wise and they have a lovely opera house.

Did you make it up the leaning tower?

Login to get fewer ads

Barcelona or Madrid? on 14:24 - Sep 24 with 745 viewsCooperman

Barcelona or Madrid? on 11:59 - Sep 24 by krunchykarrot

Cheers

You’re welcome.

Barcelona or Madrid? on 15:45 - Sep 24 with 731 viewsPegojack

Barcelona or Madrid? on 14:23 - Sep 24 by Cooperman

Did you make it up the leaning tower?

With my knees? No way!
To be honest, I didn't think it was very safe either. Not in terms of toppling over, but the narrow wooden interior staircase to the top looked well dodgy to me. Wouldn't like to be on it in a general panic.
Another good thing about Bologna is that you can get to lots of other good places quickly by train - Modena, Palma, Florence etc.
Barcelona or Madrid? on 04:56 - Sep 25 with 670 viewsCooperman

Barcelona or Madrid? on 15:45 - Sep 24 by Pegojack

With my knees? No way!
To be honest, I didn't think it was very safe either. Not in terms of toppling over, but the narrow wooden interior staircase to the top looked well dodgy to me. Wouldn't like to be on it in a general panic.
Another good thing about Bologna is that you can get to lots of other good places quickly by train - Modena, Palma, Florence etc.

That's right. Heading down the stairs is equally as difficult as heading up. However the view from the top was well worth the effort.

You're also correct re the other cities and I would add Ferrara and Mantua to the list. The train service is excellent in terms of both route availability and cost.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024