Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
PL Legacy 18:05 - Nov 17 with 4229 viewsjohnlangy

The Club's legacy from the PL years, apart from the kudos of being the ONLY Welsh Club to EVER stay in the PL for seven years, has been to end up with a PL quality training facility and a first class Academy.

The training facility has helped, and will help the Club for a long time to come, to attract players who otherwise may not have signed for us. It also helps the manager get the very best he can from the players at his disposal which is certain to help the Club prosper in the future.

Then there's the Academy. It was very difficult for players who were playing U23 standard to step up to the PL so, whenever there was a need for a player in a particular position the Club had to fork out a lot of money on transfer fees and contracts. In the Championship we are now seeing many players from the U23's being able to step up. And when they step up we see the real value of the Academy when some of them move on for large fees.

From the start, last time, the board said they were going to invest in the TF and Academy which eventually cost the Club in excess of £20 million.

So my question is, what will be the Club's legacy from our next stint in the PL ? If we were to get promoted this year our income will rise back to around £120 million compared with this seasons £50/55 million. So what do we do with that money ? Do we go back to buying expensive players to try to maintain PL status ? Or do we invest some of it ?

The only infrastructure left that we could improve on is Stadium capacity. There's always a big verbal punch up about this every time the subject is raised but if people disagree with doing this what would you suggest ? DO you want to lump it all on big players again ? Bony and Ayew types for example ? Or would you want the Club to be left with something tangible the next time we're relegated ?

Here's a suggestion. The plans as they were showed a 32,000 stadium (roughly). But it showed two stages, the first stage taking the capacity to about 27,000. There's no doubt that 20,900 was not enough in the PL. The only debate was about the full extension. Whether 32,000 was needed. Which is a reasonable question. But stage one would make sense to me and if the crowds settled at 23/24/25,000 then that would be the end of it. No need for stage 2. That would cost about £10 million.

So if we decided to spend £20 million again my suggestion is this. When the owners were looking to cut costs after relegation they thought for a while of dropping the Academy to Cat 2 or Cat 3 which, in my opinion, would have been a dreadful idea. So, what if the other £10 million was set aside to ensure that when we were relegated again that money would be used to ensure the Club could afford the ongoing cost of maintaining the Academy at Cat 1.
PL Legacy on 23:17 - Nov 20 with 597 viewsLuther27

PL Legacy on 23:07 - Nov 20 by Dr_Winston

There were still major problems at the club when Birch took over. Let's be clear about that.

As for the "one game from oblivion", the Hull match took place more than a year after Petty was ousted. We were in that mess largely because a respected club captain was promoted to a position that he was found utterly wanting in. Sounds vaguely familiar that.

No chance. I stick to the point I made, one game from oblivion. We aren't there at the moment are we? Birch came in to a business that was adjusting to relegation...and it is a business.

The sales at the end of last season plus the parachute payments have stabilised the club. We aren't financial kings, but neither are we financial basket cases either.

On the field the club is a success at this moment in time. And I reiterate my point, that come the end of the season we don't have to rely on winning one game to avoid oblivion.
PL Legacy on 23:20 - Nov 20 with 593 viewsDr_Winston

PL Legacy on 23:11 - Nov 20 by TNT

Is that Nick Cusack? Bit harsh, if so. He was doing his best to save us to be fair.

I don't doubt that Cusack approached the job from a much less "back stabby" position than Monk, but the point remains that neither of them should have been made manager.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

PL Legacy on 23:23 - Nov 20 with 582 viewsTNT

PL Legacy on 23:20 - Nov 20 by Dr_Winston

I don't doubt that Cusack approached the job from a much less "back stabby" position than Monk, but the point remains that neither of them should have been made manager.

I get your point, but they were desperate times when Cusack was busting a gut to save our arses.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

PL Legacy on 23:34 - Nov 20 with 573 viewsLuther27

PL Legacy on 23:23 - Nov 20 by TNT

I get your point, but they were desperate times when Cusack was busting a gut to save our arses.

Desperate times indeed I agree.
PL Legacy on 11:44 - Nov 21 with 536 viewsCatullus

I reckon we need to go with something tangible. It'll probably draw a pained reaction but we should do a Cardiff and not spend big on players but extend the stadium to 27k and bank any profit we can. I'd happily be a yo-yo club for a decade or more and use the PL bonus to build the club up while keeping ticket prices down.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024