Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Happier days 00:33 - Jun 16 with 1573 viewsArthur_from_OTB

At a time like this when the world seems to be falling apart and when most of the young people have been swept up in the BLM cult I like to think about happier days.

Perhaps the following fact is well known but it only occurred to me last night when I was thinking about Peter Shilton. Every season from 1931/1932 to 1996—97 you could have seen Stanley Matthews or Peter Shilton play. Stan finished in 1964/65 and Shilton made his debut in the 1965/66 season. Some hypothetical supporter could have spent an entire lifetime watching their two favourite players turn out every season. There is a nice picture of Stan here with Jim Langley who I think I can remember watching playing for QPR against the Swans in the 1965/66 season.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stanley-matthews-st

There are a lot of stressed and angry people on here. You need to chill out 50s style. This lovely album by Gordon Jenkins from 1957 might help.

[Post edited 16 Jun 2020 0:34]
Happier days on 10:25 - Jun 16 with 1485 viewsCatullus

Sorry Arthur but this will (or already has) fall on deaf ears. People are far too busy being angry and hateful.
Maybe it's lockdown or maybe it's because us humans really are terminally stupid. Anyway, I have a wall to build, trees to lop and rubbish to clear so it must be time for a coffee!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Happier days on 10:35 - Jun 16 with 1474 viewsairedale

My first time down the Vetch was to watch Stanley Matthews playing for Stoke. Can’t remember when it was though.
Happier days on 20:35 - Jun 16 with 1416 viewsArthur_from_OTB

Happier days on 10:35 - Jun 16 by airedale

My first time down the Vetch was to watch Stanley Matthews playing for Stoke. Can’t remember when it was though.

It might have been in the FA Cup in 1964. I never saw Matthews play but I can remember watching his testimonial game against the Rest of the World on TV. There are few nice pictures here of that game :

https://www.whoateallthepies.tv/stoke_city/218936/retro-football-the-incredible-

I wonder what Jimmy Greaves is saying to Cliff Jones ? Probably something like "Now Cliff, no getting pissed up tonight and don't throw Stan in the bath."
Happier days on 21:06 - Jun 16 with 1382 viewsArthur_from_OTB

Happier days on 10:25 - Jun 16 by Catullus

Sorry Arthur but this will (or already has) fall on deaf ears. People are far too busy being angry and hateful.
Maybe it's lockdown or maybe it's because us humans really are terminally stupid. Anyway, I have a wall to build, trees to lop and rubbish to clear so it must be time for a coffee!

I sometimes think people are being made angry on purpose by pressure groups and media outlets manufacturing controversy for their own ends.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024