Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oldham fans tonight 23:20 - Aug 24 with 1437 viewsKeithHaynes

Oldham protests
Just like their League Two game against Colchester at the weekend, a portion of Oldham fans brought their tie with Accrington to a halt by throwing tennis balls on the Boundary Park pitch early into the contest.

Hundreds were chucked in from one end of the ground, whilst there was also a flare that entered the playing field.

Whilst the scenes are not what anyone wants to see, it shows the sheer frustration of long-suffering Oldham fans towards their owners.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Oldham fans tonight on 06:53 - Aug 25 with 1363 viewsangryjack

Good I say yes might get heard they may not but surely making a point
Oldham fans tonight on 07:14 - Aug 25 with 1354 viewsDr_Winston

They've been a financial basket case for decades. Can't be easy living in the shadows of both Manchester clubs.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Oldham fans tonight on 14:11 - Aug 25 with 1216 viewsCatullus

Oldham fans tonight on 07:14 - Aug 25 by Dr_Winston

They've been a financial basket case for decades. Can't be easy living in the shadows of both Manchester clubs.

There are a lot of clubs up there that struggle because of the Mancs. Bury suffered big time too.
I know it's sometimes hard getting players all the way out here but we should be grateful our nearest club is 40 miles away and not a big club.

Not sure what the Oldham fans can do, in these money driven days if we get rid of bad owners we can't be sure we haven't left ourselves open to even worse. It can be a short walk from a Doug Sharpe to a Tony Petty.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Oldham fans tonight on 14:35 - Aug 25 with 1195 viewsswan85

Oldham fans tonight on 14:11 - Aug 25 by Catullus

There are a lot of clubs up there that struggle because of the Mancs. Bury suffered big time too.
I know it's sometimes hard getting players all the way out here but we should be grateful our nearest club is 40 miles away and not a big club.

Not sure what the Oldham fans can do, in these money driven days if we get rid of bad owners we can't be sure we haven't left ourselves open to even worse. It can be a short walk from a Doug Sharpe to a Tony Petty.

I was up that way a few weeks back. Chatting to a couple of Oldham fans, and ownership. Also spoke about their good old days Frankie Bunn etc. One thing they said to me at the time was there was a proposal from the Oldham owner 20 odd years ago, proposing Oldham, Bury and Rochdale to merge. Of course this was rejected by the fans. Geographically being there I was surprised how close they all were. One of them thought it was the right idea and maybe the way to go….difficult to convince the fans here though. Probably similar to the rugby regions in Wales, with all the clubs associated history.
Oldham fans tonight on 14:39 - Aug 25 with 1193 viewsDr_Winston

Oldham fans tonight on 14:35 - Aug 25 by swan85

I was up that way a few weeks back. Chatting to a couple of Oldham fans, and ownership. Also spoke about their good old days Frankie Bunn etc. One thing they said to me at the time was there was a proposal from the Oldham owner 20 odd years ago, proposing Oldham, Bury and Rochdale to merge. Of course this was rejected by the fans. Geographically being there I was surprised how close they all were. One of them thought it was the right idea and maybe the way to go….difficult to convince the fans here though. Probably similar to the rugby regions in Wales, with all the clubs associated history.

There's a few areas like that.

Bristol should easily be able to support a Premier League team but there's no chance in hell of a Bristol United side.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Oldham fans tonight on 15:02 - Aug 25 with 1180 viewsswan85

Oldham fans tonight on 14:39 - Aug 25 by Dr_Winston

There's a few areas like that.

Bristol should easily be able to support a Premier League team but there's no chance in hell of a Bristol United side.

I live in Bristol - and agree with you! They would never merge.
Oldham fans tonight on 17:18 - Aug 25 with 1136 viewsDr_Winston

Oldham fans tonight on 15:02 - Aug 25 by swan85

I live in Bristol - and agree with you! They would never merge.

My mum used to run the Royal Oak on Gloucester Road (was the John Cabot then). Big Rovers crowds in there.

Either one of them could probably do what we did, but if Bristol was a one club city they could be one of the biggest.

Oldham fans tonight on 22:14 - Aug 25 with 1067 viewsswan85

Oldham fans tonight on 17:18 - Aug 25 by Dr_Winston

My mum used to run the Royal Oak on Gloucester Road (was the John Cabot then). Big Rovers crowds in there.

Either one of them could probably do what we did, but if Bristol was a one club city they could be one of the biggest.

I think Bristol City could, Rovers not so sure smaller fan base. Of course Bristol City did the fourth to first in successive seasons, one year in the old first division and then straight back to the fourth in successive. I remind all my city fans mates that we didn’t do that and avoid the successive drop in 1985. All that up and down for them, did send them bust and Rovers fans call them BC82. As a result of their liquidation at the time.

A city the size of Bristol is amazing that there hasn’t been top flight football here since late 1970s. They have Steve Lansdown (Hargreaves lansdown) owning city, the rugby club and also basketball. He has sunk a lot in to sport in the city, mainly the rugby side. Football side is being run quite frugally from what my mates tell me. Still, as I was known as the sheep shagger at school, I love reminding my mates of our time in the big league and major trophy…….
Login to get fewer ads

Oldham fans tonight on 07:00 - Aug 26 with 988 viewsDr_Winston

You may be right, although Rovers attendances are broadly on a par with ours the last time we were at that level. Perhaps they'd top out a bit lower.

Oldham fans tonight on 18:12 - Aug 26 with 890 viewsCatullus

Both Brizzle teams got decent crowds when they were doing well, Rovers have suffered badly this last 20 years but if they did succesfully merge and did well they'd definitely need a bigger stadium. City's record is over 43000, Rovers is over 38000. I reckon they'd be bigger than Newcastle or even Man City, if they did well.

Oldham, Bury and Rochdale, even if they merged they'd still not be more than a medium sized club if ALL their fans took to it, in my opinion. Too many big clubs close by. Bristol has the advantage there, geographically. Maybe they should have merged though, with hindsight I wonder what their fans think now?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Oldham fans tonight on 22:33 - Aug 26 with 859 viewsswan85

Oldham fans tonight on 18:12 - Aug 26 by Catullus

Both Brizzle teams got decent crowds when they were doing well, Rovers have suffered badly this last 20 years but if they did succesfully merge and did well they'd definitely need a bigger stadium. City's record is over 43000, Rovers is over 38000. I reckon they'd be bigger than Newcastle or even Man City, if they did well.

Oldham, Bury and Rochdale, even if they merged they'd still not be more than a medium sized club if ALL their fans took to it, in my opinion. Too many big clubs close by. Bristol has the advantage there, geographically. Maybe they should have merged though, with hindsight I wonder what their fans think now?

I will check with some of my mates….got a few who support city and a few who support Rovers, be interesting their response as in all my years living here it has never been mentioned.

Will report back, the polite responses!
Oldham fans tonight on 21:00 - Aug 27 with 793 viewsswan85

Oldham fans tonight on 22:33 - Aug 26 by swan85

I will check with some of my mates….got a few who support city and a few who support Rovers, be interesting their response as in all my years living here it has never been mentioned.

Will report back, the polite responses!

Not much appetite amongst my mates for a Bristol United!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024