Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Northampton Town (a) Match Thread 10:17 - Sep 15 with 26324 viewsHullDale

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 20:59 - Sep 17 with 3037 viewsHullDale

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 21:09 - Sep 17 with 2976 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 17:28 - Sep 17 by NorthernDale

The only positive I can take from today is that the others around us did not win and despite not winning in nine games, we are still only 4 points from safety, which is bloody amazing.

Bentley needs to get tough and start kicking some backsides and let players know how bad they are, in a sensitive way of course. I would drop Diagouraga for a start, the man is hopeless, he seems unable to do the basics rights and has the pace of a 95 old. Why is people like Malley get picked? But Bentley must address the lack of fight in the team.

It as been said before, in previous games, but Colchester next Saturday is a most win game, a win and a win and we are in the fight still, anything else would be a serious setback.

In a sensitive way? Seriously?? In our position??? If I was as bad at my job I’d be out on my arse, with no sensitivity whatsoever. Time for a massive rollicking, some of those so called “senior pros” are frankly a bad joke while picking up wages most of us in here would walk over broken glass to collect.
Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 21:16 - Sep 17 with 2939 viewsdingdangblue

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 20:12 - Sep 17 by DaleFan7

It's going to get to the point where we need to be calling players who can't be arsed out. As others have said, you can forgive players who don't have the ability but try their hardest but you can't forgive the lack of effort from some of the players in our squad on a consistent basis.

Their saved penalty looped miles into the air and there wasn't a Dale player in sight when it dropped back to their striker.

Regarding the Penalty - Calvin was saying the same on the radio but the penalty taker heads it in on the six yard box - anyone outside the box would be hard pushed to get there before him. Nelson was the closest - just behind Hoskins.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 21:28 - Sep 17 with 2870 viewsnordenblue

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 20:58 - Sep 17 by TalkingSutty

I don’t know what it is but i’ve had a feeling that for the last few years we have had players at the club who are going through the motions, picking up their wages and not really bothered whether they win or lose. There have been too many games that have thrown up questions regarding the intensity of performance for me, at a time when players should be busting a gut to take a throw in or launch the ball up field in the 95th minute the lack of urgency and desire has been really noticeable. I don’t know whether it’s a fall out from lockdown or a feeling that winning games isn’t the number one priority. If we can’t win games then the club will implode, it’s as simple as that, nobody wants to be associated with a team that is losing nearly every week. You keep backing them and willing them to come up trumps, thinking the next game will be the turning point but it never is, on the pitch the players never progress and the results back that up. It can’t always be the managers fault.

How many winners do we have in that squad? How many players do we have who show that desire and are really hurting at the moment? It looks like a squad of players who don’t really give a shit, a group of players who accept defeat with ease and that reputation is now one that’s been identified by every team that we play. They lose the ball and can’t even be arsed running back, they pass the ball and stand still, some even think they can take the piss out of their own fans. Some are struggling to even last for sixty minutes of a game and don’t have the fitness levels to compete with their opponent and close them down, they aren’t fit. It’s not just the fans who see this, Calvin Andrew was on commentary today and to say he was unimpressed would be a understatement.

It’s like a lot of these players are somehow on the side of Bottomley and those that tried to kill our club, they’ll kill Bentley and his assistant too if he’s not careful because they can’t be trusted, they display no backbone whatsoever and it’s terrible to see. Who are the leaders in the team who grab hold of their teammates and pin them up in the changing room at half time and demand more effort? ...i bet we don’t have one of those, they’re all best mates together.

The only fighters we have in this club are those in the Boardroom, the fans and the staff, if the players showed the same sort of desire we would be up near the top of the league but instead they roll up to have their bellies tickled every week by the opposition, the complete opposite of the fans who have just fought tooth and nail to save the club. They’ll get Jim the sack this lot and then they’ll take us out of the EFL in the process, most of them are in their comfort zone and are experts at talking a good job and delivering next to nothing, results tell you that. I don’t believe that they are lacking in talent, just passion, fight and a winning mentality. They could prove everybody wrong and decide to go to war for the club and Jim Bentley but i bet they don’t.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2022 21:17]

That sort of post should be pinned on the dressing room wall TS, I couldn't agree more, ive lost most of my interest to be perfectly honest

I got absolutely pissed off with cancelling other things in my life,working full time to then fit in a trip over there to watch a load of folk claiming to be professional footballers wandering around not really arsed win or lose dragging grands a month for the pleasure.

A lack of leadership has been clear for a long long time, some serious words needs to be said, I feel pretty sorry for JB as he's got a pretty impossible task on his hands it seems, it feels very much like what's been going on at Old Trafford for the last few years, the tail wagging the dog.
Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 21:29 - Sep 17 with 2856 views442Dale

From Northampton forum:

<<“ Rochdale are in big big trouble and I’d be amazed if they’re not in the bottom 4. Genuinely think they’ll drop based on today. Off the ball they were hopeless and their defending at times was embarrassing. Looked like a team who had thrown the towel in at 2-0 and were walking round the pitch.”>>

Not about how poor we are in our own play, but the effort when we didn’t have the ball.

Out of everything said tonight, an opposition fan taking the time to not only notice that but to explain it, this is probably the most damning.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 21:48 - Sep 17 with 2738 viewsD_Alien

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 21:29 - Sep 17 by 442Dale

From Northampton forum:

<<“ Rochdale are in big big trouble and I’d be amazed if they’re not in the bottom 4. Genuinely think they’ll drop based on today. Off the ball they were hopeless and their defending at times was embarrassing. Looked like a team who had thrown the towel in at 2-0 and were walking round the pitch.”>>

Not about how poor we are in our own play, but the effort when we didn’t have the ball.

Out of everything said tonight, an opposition fan taking the time to not only notice that but to explain it, this is probably the most damning.

Such a contrast to the "you'll be fine" messages from Carlisle, and in such a short space of time

It's sink or swim with Bentley, and the expectation that he's of the same mindset that we are - won't put up with it. Must be supported on what he does now, there's no alternative. The board have made their move, and they above all must be supported, so let's stop the grumbling from certain quarters that it didn't happen earlier, that's just a waste of breath

Above all, we need to keep our nerve. If things are to improve, it mightn't happen straight away, and it might be very gradual. But we do need some sign that we're moving in the right direction

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 22:07 - Sep 17 with 2652 views_Windydale

The penalty rebound goes right back to the penalty taker, can't blame the players for that goal. Dale rushed in behind but had no chance.

Players seem unable to lift themselves, a lack of team spirit. Maybe they should all have a team bonding day out at Alton towers, or paintball. Some of the players do need shooting.

Their 3rd goal is pitiful to watch as Graham watches it going passed him instead of attacking the ball, it looks like Keohane expected it to be dealt with and cleared up the pitch. He too should have been more alert.

Worse game for Odoh, he struggles to have a decent 90 min, is dispossessed easily, struggles to weight a pass and also going off on a mystery run with his head down. 'Wheres he off to this time?' He looks best being brought on as an impact Sub just like Le fondre, he does makes a difference coming on with 20 minutes to play.

If only Kelly had put that sitter in.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2022 22:09]
Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 22:56 - Sep 17 with 2524 viewsrich_dale

Not playing Malley is strange. His control, turn and shot vs Accrington which led to a goal was by far the most impressive thing we've seen from a Dale player this season. Instead we've seen Hendo start in that position vs Orient, then Brierley today, then Kelly on to replace him. No goals in either game. We've gone backwards massively since that first optimistic game v Accy. That's just tactics and selection though. More fundamentally if the players don't want to play for the manager or club, or even their own careers, then we will be this season's Scunthorpe. I don't subscribe to the view that it's a terrible squad, we've got lots of good players most of whom have shown at times that they're capable, but they're not gelling right now, or at times, even trying. The sacking was poorly timed, evidenced by the lack of bounce from a new manager. It's all a bit confused.
Login to get fewer ads

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 23:39 - Sep 17 with 2406 viewsNorthernDale

I agree about Odoh, he should be an impact sub, Diagouraga play is clumsy and he has no pace. neither should start next Saturday.

I have asked on another post, when will Ethan Ebanks-Landell and johns be fit, because today our CD consisted of an 22 year old and an 18 year old, against a promotion team. A further question is, next Saturday would you play Keohane in a defensive midfield role, with Seriki at right back, if either Mcnulty, Ebanks-Landell or John is fit.
Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 00:32 - Sep 18 with 2295 viewsSandyman

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 21:29 - Sep 17 by 442Dale

From Northampton forum:

That Northampton fan is stating the bleedin' obvious.

We have a board of directors who have taken on board a lot of stressful and deeply personal challenges to ensure this club is safe and have fought off asset-stripping predators. They have been supported fully by fans and shareholders. We still have RAFC, which we could have so easily lost. No blame there.

We have (and had to have) a new manager who has had a short time to assess what he has been left as a legacy of the previous manager. He needs time to change that disaster effectively. No blame there.

We have a superb goalkeeper. We have no leader / battler / shouter like Gary Jones or Peter Cavanagh who could kick ass and direct traffic on the pitch and boy do we need it. We have some so-called players who look lazy, inept, gormless, who don't communicate with each other on the pitch and are so half-arsed they wouldn't get picked in a Rochdale pub team, who are leeching wages from our fan-owned club. They seriously need to look at themselves or other career options because they have no resemblance to what an EFL footballer should be.

Guess it's down to EBJ to sort it, but those players are going to get some serious grief from Dale fans if they don't perform. Deservedly so. They can leave if they can't be bothered or don't like the valid criticism. If they aren't going to get their fingers out, I hope they do leave. Won't be long before names are named. Not good for the CV.

RAFC - FIRST, LAST, AND ALWAYS. UP THE DALE.
Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 02:28 - Sep 18 with 2202 viewsShun

Can Lee Thorpe just go and arm wrestle the lot of them please.
Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 02:53 - Sep 18 with 2194 viewsShun

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 20:58 - Sep 17 by TalkingSutty

I don’t know what it is but i’ve had a feeling that for the last few years we have had players at the club who are going through the motions, picking up their wages and not really bothered whether they win or lose. There have been too many games that have thrown up questions regarding the intensity of performance for me, at a time when players should be busting a gut to take a throw in or launch the ball up field in the 95th minute the lack of urgency and desire has been really noticeable. I don’t know whether it’s a fall out from lockdown or a feeling that winning games isn’t the number one priority. If we can’t win games then the club will implode, it’s as simple as that, nobody wants to be associated with a team that is losing nearly every week. You keep backing them and willing them to come up trumps, thinking the next game will be the turning point but it never is, on the pitch the players never progress and the results back that up. It can’t always be the managers fault.

How many winners do we have in that squad? How many players do we have who show that desire and are really hurting at the moment? It looks like a squad of players who don’t really give a shit, a group of players who accept defeat with ease and that reputation is now one that’s been identified by every team that we play. They lose the ball and can’t even be arsed running back, they pass the ball and stand still, some even think they can take the piss out of their own fans. Some are struggling to even last for sixty minutes of a game and don’t have the fitness levels to compete with their opponent and close them down, they aren’t fit. It’s not just the fans who see this, Calvin Andrew was on commentary today and to say he was unimpressed would be a understatement.

It’s like a lot of these players are somehow on the side of Bottomley and those that tried to kill our club, they’ll kill Bentley and his assistant too if he’s not careful because they can’t be trusted, they display no backbone whatsoever and it’s terrible to see. Who are the leaders in the team who grab hold of their teammates and pin them up in the changing room at half time and demand more effort? ...i bet we don’t have one of those, they’re all best mates together.

The only fighters we have in this club are those in the Boardroom, the fans and the staff, if the players showed the same sort of desire we would be up near the top of the league but instead they roll up to have their bellies tickled every week by the opposition, the complete opposite of the fans who have just fought tooth and nail to save the club. They’ll get Jim the sack this lot and then they’ll take us out of the EFL in the process, most of them are in their comfort zone and are experts at talking a good job and delivering next to nothing, results tell you that. I don’t believe that they are lacking in talent, just passion, fight and a winning mentality. They could prove everybody wrong and decide to go to war for the club and Jim Bentley but i bet they don’t.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2022 21:17]

Good post, but I can’t imagine the players will still be supportive of Bottomley. There’s only Henderson (who’s rightly been dropped), Keohane (by all accounts one of the few who can hold his head highly this season) and McNulty (probably 6th choice CB, but even then always plays his heart out) who will even know who Bottomley is, I imagine.
Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 06:14 - Sep 18 with 2136 viewsTalkingSutty

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 02:53 - Sep 18 by Shun

Good post, but I can’t imagine the players will still be supportive of Bottomley. There’s only Henderson (who’s rightly been dropped), Keohane (by all accounts one of the few who can hold his head highly this season) and McNulty (probably 6th choice CB, but even then always plays his heart out) who will even know who Bottomley is, I imagine.

I said it’s like the players are supportive of Bottomley, i meant in the way that they don’t seem to care what is happening on the pitch or about results, i didn’t mean it literally.
Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 08:29 - Sep 18 with 1956 viewsNewbury_Dale

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 02:53 - Sep 18 by Shun

The idea that McNulty 'plays his heart out' is not one I recognise. He's been stealing a living at this level for a good couple of years now. He should have left when Stockdale departed. Those fantasy land post match interviews whilst caretaker manager told me he that he is part of the problem, not the solution.

Will Jim Bentley and his 'minerals' work ? I get the sense that his management style is taken from an era that current players [even at this level] cant or wont relate to anymore. Will they respond to Jim ? I fear not.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2022 8:31]
Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 08:52 - Sep 18 with 1918 viewsD_Alien

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 06:14 - Sep 18 by TalkingSutty

I said it’s like the players are supportive of Bottomley, i meant in the way that they don’t seem to care what is happening on the pitch or about results, i didn’t mean it literally.

Whether it was meant metaphorically or not, let's be clear about one thing, already mentioned by others - this group of players will NOT get Bentley the sack

Why? Because the board will be clear by now where the problem lies. Having appointed an experienced manager, and someone who i can certainly identify with in terms of never accepting less than 100% from anyone, the results are now down to the players themselves. Plus, we just can't sack one manager after another and hope the next one will work. Bentley's our man, sink or swim

One thing that's been mentioned is calling out players. Fair enough, it's a tough old game and we might well feel entitled after the last 18 months. What i want to see from Bentley, even if points remain more scarce than we'd like, is players selected who won't need calling out. I'm not talking here about obvious limitations in ability, but in willingness to fight for every last inch on the pitch

So Bentley won't remain above criticism, but only imo if those selected in the coming weeks fall below that minimum requirement. In his interview, he seemed to be suggesting he was looking at this by leaving players on the pitch for perhaps a bit longer than they justified. That gives him a bit more time to sort the wheat from the chaff, and we should start to see what conclusions he's drawn over the next few games

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 09:39 - Sep 18 with 1797 viewselectricblue

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 17:12 - Sep 17 by foreverhopefulDale

You liked him? Why? His recruitment was shite, and so was his tactical awareness. I would rather have an horrible bastard who knows how to recruit good players and knows how to get them how to play than a nice manager. Stockdale did leave us in the shit, hopefully EBJ can sort out the mess.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2022 17:16]

Yes as i thought that his initial signing to become manager was a positive move by the board and those games where Dale where on the front foot attacking but then struggled at the back i thought he would address that.

As we know that did not happen, reasons why that is down to RS to explain...

His recruitment this summer was wrong all wrong at that as cost him and it may yet cost the club dearly...

RS came across as a positive person which was a far cry from BBM and Hills rants.

So yes i quite liked RS and i think his role is as a coach and not as a manager....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 10:04 - Sep 18 with 1738 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 18:07 - Sep 17 by 442Dale

Great point about Calvin. The sort of player who some would abuse on here for perceived lack of ability, but his commitment is why he remained vital within our most successful squad. That’s why repeating the same old stuff as some will do is spectacularly missing the point; this is not about having a bang average squad, it’s about the players fight and attitude.

The team has been in decline for the past 4/5 years or so save for two short ‘honeymoon’ periods of relative upturn that BBM and Stockdale initially brought, only for the downwards slide to continue thereafter. The decline started in Hill’s penultimate season and Calvin was very much part of the squad then as well. Calvin was never abused he was criticised for a lack of goals, people acknowledged and appreciated the effort. When we had Hendo, Davis and the likes of Lund and Vincenti scoring goals regularly it was ok but when goals were less in supply it became a problem. BBM sensibly realised this when he took over and put an arm around Wilbraham (after some shoddy management by Hill) and got a return out of him (one of the major reasons we avoided relegation that season). Calvin’s Dale career was effectively over then. Somebody on this thread has commented that we’ve not had a shot on target in 2 games. Calvin would not address that, however much we rate or not rate him.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 10:11 - Sep 18 with 1708 views442Dale

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 10:04 - Sep 18 by BigDaveMyCock

The team has been in decline for the past 4/5 years or so save for two short ‘honeymoon’ periods of relative upturn that BBM and Stockdale initially brought, only for the downwards slide to continue thereafter. The decline started in Hill’s penultimate season and Calvin was very much part of the squad then as well. Calvin was never abused he was criticised for a lack of goals, people acknowledged and appreciated the effort. When we had Hendo, Davis and the likes of Lund and Vincenti scoring goals regularly it was ok but when goals were less in supply it became a problem. BBM sensibly realised this when he took over and put an arm around Wilbraham (after some shoddy management by Hill) and got a return out of him (one of the major reasons we avoided relegation that season). Calvin’s Dale career was effectively over then. Somebody on this thread has commented that we’ve not had a shot on target in 2 games. Calvin would not address that, however much we rate or not rate him.

The point was more about players ‘like Calvin’, not specifically him. That we have players now who might not be brilliant but have enough about them to do a job with the consistent commitment levels we always got from Calvin and Wilbraham. That BBM squad stayed up because we had an average squad talent wise who had a solid way of playing. It’s what’s required now.

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 10:20 - Sep 18 with 1686 viewskel

I’ve calmed down somewhat since yesterday but I’m still raging at the performances of a few players who simply couldn’t be arsed. If that means they “don’t warm to me” then I couldn’t give a shite. We’re not here to massage their egos.
Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 10:20 - Sep 18 with 1683 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 10:11 - Sep 18 by 442Dale

The point was more about players ‘like Calvin’, not specifically him. That we have players now who might not be brilliant but have enough about them to do a job with the consistent commitment levels we always got from Calvin and Wilbraham. That BBM squad stayed up because we had an average squad talent wise who had a solid way of playing. It’s what’s required now.

Absolutely but there’s an element of rose tinterry about this. Whilst Calvin undoubtedly played his part in the good days he was also very much seen as part of the problem in the not so good days.

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 10:25 - Sep 18 with 1667 views442Dale

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 10:20 - Sep 18 by BigDaveMyCock

Absolutely but there’s an element of rose tinterry about this. Whilst Calvin undoubtedly played his part in the good days he was also very much seen as part of the problem in the not so good days.

Exactly. And he wasn’t, he was always a valued member of the squad. Even when his ability on the pitch dipped.

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 10:34 - Sep 18 with 1628 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 10:25 - Sep 18 by 442Dale

Exactly. And he wasn’t, he was always a valued member of the squad. Even when his ability on the pitch dipped.

I agree re BBM. There was definitely something there. He needed guiding and the deficiencies ironing out but his teams also had many merits.
His signings were for the most part very good.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2022 10:35]

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 10:40 - Sep 18 with 1609 views442Dale

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 10:34 - Sep 18 by BigDaveMyCock

I agree re BBM. There was definitely something there. He needed guiding and the deficiencies ironing out but his teams also had many merits.
His signings were for the most part very good.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2022 10:35]

Unfortunately he’s obsessed with the modern game, tactically incompetent and cannot identify with the practical over the philosophy.

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 11:05 - Sep 18 with 1560 viewsD_Alien

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 10:40 - Sep 18 by 442Dale

Unfortunately he’s obsessed with the modern game, tactically incompetent and cannot identify with the practical over the philosophy.

The really unfortunate thing is that he COULD identify the practical, as he demonstrated during his first few games, and later on occasion when we needed to pull a result out of the bag (e.g. v Rotherham)

That made his reversion to his 'philosophy' all the more irritating, when the practical clearly worked

Edit: realise you may have meant the same thing?
[Post edited 18 Sep 2022 11:06]

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 11:14 - Sep 18 with 1524 views442Dale

Northampton Town (a) Match Thread on 11:05 - Sep 18 by D_Alien

The really unfortunate thing is that he COULD identify the practical, as he demonstrated during his first few games, and later on occasion when we needed to pull a result out of the bag (e.g. v Rotherham)

That made his reversion to his 'philosophy' all the more irritating, when the practical clearly worked

Edit: realise you may have meant the same thing?
[Post edited 18 Sep 2022 11:06]

Yep! His post match interviews after defeats illustrated it best - the focus on positives if we’d played the way he wanted.

Latter end of 18/19 and the Rotherham game are actually evidence of how badly he failed as a manager, creating that irritation you mentioned.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024