Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 96th Minute. 18:29 - Sep 3 with 4676 viewsted_hendrix

Rice has just scored against manure in the 96th minute.

96th minute.

What goes round etcetera

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

The 96th Minute. on 12:24 - Sep 4 with 1004 viewsJuzzie

The 96th Minute. on 12:06 - Sep 4 by easthertsr

For all those that hate VAR a few words. Charlie Austen. Sunderland. League Cup. It can be a pain, but for years I've moaned at refs decisions, with VAR many more correct ones are made. If a computer can decide if a player is off, I'd trust that a lot more than Mr Stroud. It does take too long, but hopefully they can work on that.

The thing is, it was sold to us as being fool proof. If it can't be 100% then bin it otherwise it's no different to having the ref decide.
The 96th Minute. on 12:26 - Sep 4 with 995 viewsngbqpr

A handball given when it's blasted at some unfortunate defender from two yards, or he hasn't made the spit second adjustment to put his hands behind his back...an offside where a player's chest or forehead is over the line but his feet aren't...these are problems with the rules rather than VAR.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

The 96th Minute. on 12:27 - Sep 4 with 990 viewsJuzzie

The 96th Minute. on 12:24 - Sep 4 by CamberleyR

It was actually still goal average then (goals scored divided by conceded), I think goal difference came in for the 76/77 season.
Liverpool finished with 66 goals for and 31 against for a GA of 2.129. Ours was 67 for, 33 against for a GA of 2.030

Goal average was weighted unfairly to teams that conceded fewer but also didn't score as many, which was ultimately why it was scrapped as it was thought goal difference would encourage more attacking football and goals.

Had we even managed to equalise at Carrow Road, our goal average would still have been worse than Liverpool and we'd have still have lost the league on GA. Although under GA's bizarre workings, had we drawn 0-0 at CR we'd have been champions on GA.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2023 12:29]

God, we really did need that win at Norwich then!

fkin' ref.....
The 96th Minute. on 12:54 - Sep 4 with 931 viewsJuzzie

The 96th Minute. on 12:26 - Sep 4 by ngbqpr

A handball given when it's blasted at some unfortunate defender from two yards, or he hasn't made the spit second adjustment to put his hands behind his back...an offside where a player's chest or forehead is over the line but his feet aren't...these are problems with the rules rather than VAR.

VAR are the rules, they are one & the same.
The 96th Minute. on 13:16 - Sep 4 with 877 viewseasthertsr

The 96th Minute. on 12:24 - Sep 4 by Juzzie

The thing is, it was sold to us as being fool proof. If it can't be 100% then bin it otherwise it's no different to having the ref decide.

Of course it's not 100% foolproof, but apparently more decisions are now correct than before. That surely is a good thing.
The 96th Minute. on 13:43 - Sep 4 with 821 viewsJuzzie

The 96th Minute. on 13:16 - Sep 4 by easthertsr

Of course it's not 100% foolproof, but apparently more decisions are now correct than before. That surely is a good thing.

Are they more correct than when it was just the ref/lino's?

If so, I guess that's progress.
The 96th Minute. on 14:40 - Sep 4 with 770 viewsngbqpr

The 96th Minute. on 12:54 - Sep 4 by Juzzie

VAR are the rules, they are one & the same.

Eh?

VAR is there to allow the officials a second look, in addition to 'real time', to ensure the rules have been interpreted correctly when making a decision.

It stands for Video Assistant Referee - so by your logic, 'refs are the rules, they're one and the same.'

My point was people bring up concerns with the handball rule or offside rules as if it's a VAR-created problem, but it's a rules problem, one that existed before VAR, and continues to exist in leagues that don't use VAR.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

The 96th Minute. on 15:29 - Sep 4 with 726 viewsManinBlack

I have to agree it's a rules problem. To simplify offsides just go back to being side by side as level and not offside. Make a rule that if the forward is at least half a yard beyond the defender then it's offside. This can easily be spotted by freezing the pic at the moment the ball was played in the VAR room.

Under the current rules we have the daft situation where someone in VAR is drawing lines on pictures to see if any of a forwards anatomy is slightly in front of the defender when level. This can take 3 or 4 minutes to assess which can all be avoided if you just say level is onside and not goes through this stupidity of his shoulder is slightly ahead of the defender and trying to prove it with lines across the screen.

We are seeing all these goals being chalked off for a hairline offside or a clash 30 seconds earlier in the middle of the park spotted by VAR. Soft penalties awarded for finger tips brushing the ball or a forward falling over deliberately putting his leg across a defender to make contact detracts from the game. Carry on like this and the only goals to be scored will be from penalties.

People complain about match officials not being consistent but the same can be said for VAR people giving their opinion on incidents too. So long as humans are giving opinions on incidents you will never get consistency.
Login to get fewer ads

The 96th Minute. on 15:39 - Sep 4 with 705 viewsJuzzie

The 96th Minute. on 14:40 - Sep 4 by ngbqpr

Eh?

VAR is there to allow the officials a second look, in addition to 'real time', to ensure the rules have been interpreted correctly when making a decision.

It stands for Video Assistant Referee - so by your logic, 'refs are the rules, they're one and the same.'

My point was people bring up concerns with the handball rule or offside rules as if it's a VAR-created problem, but it's a rules problem, one that existed before VAR, and continues to exist in leagues that don't use VAR.

VAR is not a machine, it's a person (VAR is his/her job title) who is part of a group of people.
The referee speaks to the VAR in person.

IMO their title should be called “Video Assisted Referee’ as the emphasis should be on the person.

The VAR may then advise the ref to go and look at a screen which in that case the final decision is then down to how the ref sees it which is still open to interpretation.
At no point has a machine said 'foul/no foul' 'on side/off side' and so on. People decide that (or completely forgetting to draw lines in one case recently!)

AFAIK, Hawk-Eye goal-line technology is the only automated machine.

That's why I said VAR is the rules because VAR is the person following the rules which can, and does, lead to personal interpretation from all involved so they are one and the same.

I agree the rules are the problem though! I understood that for this season things like a toe or elbow being a mm in front is no longer deemed offside so hopefully that will help as that was just ludicrous (apart from when it penalised Chelsea!)

[Post edited 4 Sep 2023 20:16]
The 96th Minute. on 18:35 - Sep 4 with 590 viewsstowmarketrange

The 96th Minute. on 12:24 - Sep 4 by CamberleyR

It was actually still goal average then (goals scored divided by conceded), I think goal difference came in for the 76/77 season.
Liverpool finished with 66 goals for and 31 against for a GA of 2.129. Ours was 67 for, 33 against for a GA of 2.030

Goal average was weighted unfairly to teams that conceded fewer but also didn't score as many, which was ultimately why it was scrapped as it was thought goal difference would encourage more attacking football and goals.

Had we even managed to equalise at Carrow Road, our goal average would still have been worse than Liverpool and we'd have still have lost the league on GA. Although under GA's bizarre workings, had we drawn 0-0 at CR we'd have been champions on GA.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2023 12:29]

Chelshite won their only title on GA in1955.They’ve bought every other one since on how much they’ve spent.Cu ntssssssssssss.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024