Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. 18:48 - May 30 with 6776 viewsSyke_Dale

Shrewd appointment or huge gamble by FSG...

(or somewhere inbetween...)
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 18:52 - May 30 with 4770 viewsSuddenLad

Bit of both I think. Young, up and coming manager who has proved he can operate at that level, and with considerably less 'financial input' than managers at Anfield have been used to having.

He's one for the future and Liverpool are hoping he can take them forward. Good luck to him. I think he will be popular there.

Craig Dawson for Anfield maybe ?

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 18:53 - May 30 with 4760 viewsisitme

What disrespect announcing it on the anniversary of the Hysel disaster.

He likes to play good football, but will the board back him financial and will there be a realism of expectation, especially in the short term?
Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 18:56 - May 30 with 4752 viewsSuddenLad

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 18:53 - May 30 by isitme

What disrespect announcing it on the anniversary of the Hysel disaster.

He likes to play good football, but will the board back him financial and will there be a realism of expectation, especially in the short term?

No disrespect at all.

It won't be made 'official' until tomorrow afternoon. Neither Liverpool nor Rodgers have announced anything yet.

The media however, have tried to scramble against each other to get the news 'out there' to sell their papers and promote their news channels. As ever......

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 18:57 - May 30 with 4753 viewsSyke_Dale

Some negative comments from 'Liverpool supporters' interviewed on North West Tonight. Most thought it was going to be Roberto Martinez.....
Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 19:00 - May 30 with 4749 viewsColDale

I know you can read too much into the daily speculation but it would seem that much will depend on how he works under Louis Van Gaal. It would seem that Martinez was put off by having to work under a director of football, and if that relationship between LVG and Rodgers isn't fantastic, there will be further problems ahead.

Whoever takes over is on a hiding to nothing, as with top four status expected for a club of that stature, the question has to be how are they going to find a way to finish above two of City, United, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea to achieve that? Can't see that happening for years.
Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 19:01 - May 30 with 4740 viewsisitme

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 18:56 - May 30 by SuddenLad

No disrespect at all.

It won't be made 'official' until tomorrow afternoon. Neither Liverpool nor Rodgers have announced anything yet.

The media however, have tried to scramble against each other to get the news 'out there' to sell their papers and promote their news channels. As ever......

I know!

I was posting in mock outrage. I cannot understand the different between Hysel and Hillsborough in the eyes of the Liverpool supporters, but one is never mentioned and the other one is a holy grail day, where nothing else can possible happen.
Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 20:40 - May 30 with 4668 viewsBanned4ever

Who is he never heard of him
Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 21:05 - May 30 with 4636 viewsjudd

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 20:40 - May 30 by Banned4ever

Who is he never heard of him

He's a backing dancer from Steps.

Or is it SClub7?

Poll: What is it to be then?

Login to get fewer ads

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 21:19 - May 30 with 4622 views442Dale

His dad kept bringing him dustbins home.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 21:32 - May 30 with 4603 viewsBanned4ever

no relation to Roy or Buck Rodgers
Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 21:51 - May 30 with 4581 viewsTVOS1907

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 21:32 - May 30 by Banned4ever

no relation to Roy or Buck Rodgers

It's this fella:

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 21:52 - May 30 with 4578 viewsTVOS1907

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 21:05 - May 30 by judd

He's a backing dancer from Steps.

Or is it SClub7?

Neither.

He was in Legs & Co.

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 21:53 - May 30 with 4577 viewsjudd

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 21:51 - May 30 by TVOS1907

It's this fella:

He's out of Kiss?

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 22:41 - May 30 with 4529 viewsroccydaleian

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 21:53 - May 30 by judd

He's out of Kiss?

Ha. Kenny's car.
Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 22:49 - May 30 with 4518 viewsjudd

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 22:41 - May 30 by roccydaleian

Ha. Kenny's car.

Kiss think they're bigger than the Beatles?

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 22:53 - May 30 with 4516 viewsTVOS1907

Actually, I think Liverpool's new boss is one of these two (who were also better than Kiss)

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 03:46 - May 31 with 4460 viewsolympicdale

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 19:00 - May 30 by ColDale

I know you can read too much into the daily speculation but it would seem that much will depend on how he works under Louis Van Gaal. It would seem that Martinez was put off by having to work under a director of football, and if that relationship between LVG and Rodgers isn't fantastic, there will be further problems ahead.

Whoever takes over is on a hiding to nothing, as with top four status expected for a club of that stature, the question has to be how are they going to find a way to finish above two of City, United, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea to achieve that? Can't see that happening for years.

LVG wont take no crap from anyone, although not sure I can see him and Rodgers working, famously dropped his pants at Luca Toni whilst at bayern, and was very very stern with day to day running of the club, didnt get on too great with the players but produced it on the pitch.

Life is a game of fate.

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 07:28 - May 31 with 4436 viewsrochedale

He had Swansea playing some terrific football this season. Similar to how Liverpool used to play in their glory days.

However, even if he performs somewhat better that King Kenny did on his second spell, he will be lucky to be in a job come the season run in next term. I think anything less than top 6 and BR will be on the hunt for a new job.

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 11:31 - May 31 with 4348 viewsolympicdale

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 07:28 - May 31 by rochedale

He had Swansea playing some terrific football this season. Similar to how Liverpool used to play in their glory days.

However, even if he performs somewhat better that King Kenny did on his second spell, he will be lucky to be in a job come the season run in next term. I think anything less than top 6 and BR will be on the hunt for a new job.

The fear with Rodgers is, that whilst his Swansea team played brilliant football, passing from the back, building up the attacks, especially at Anfield, the liverpool fans will get frustrated with this style of play and encourage them to just hoof it up to Carroll.

Since the start of the premierleague liverpool as a club have gone backwards, before the PL they were always winning titles/cups, but for whatever reason, the PL has favoured man united, and dragged Liverpool backwards. A club that size shouldn't be even imagining finishing below the likes of Newcastle/Everton/Tottenham, should no doubt be a top 4/2 club.

Life is a game of fate.

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 12:24 - May 31 with 4313 viewsD_Alien

But what is Liverpool's "size" ?

Winning trophies in the past gives no-one any right to think they're a certain size in 2012!

Going off gates (ground capacity) it's hard to see how Liverpool could be regarded as being a bigger club than, for instance, Newcastle.

The slightly increased competition for places at the top of the premiership tree over the past couple of seasons has been nothing but healthy for the game. This inevitably means that former "giants" will get taken down a peg or two!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 12:34 - May 31 with 4301 viewsBanned4ever

I think the decline of LIVERPOOL started with the European ban .I know it effected all English clubs but LIVERPOOL was hit the longest and this gave Man u
along with money to grab the best in football.
Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 12:43 - May 31 with 4295 viewsolympicdale

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 12:24 - May 31 by D_Alien

But what is Liverpool's "size" ?

Winning trophies in the past gives no-one any right to think they're a certain size in 2012!

Going off gates (ground capacity) it's hard to see how Liverpool could be regarded as being a bigger club than, for instance, Newcastle.

The slightly increased competition for places at the top of the premiership tree over the past couple of seasons has been nothing but healthy for the game. This inevitably means that former "giants" will get taken down a peg or two!

I'm not going on attendance, I never believe that hype of, "we got more fans than you, so we're bigger than you" crap, I just find it amazing that since the formation of the premierleague they have fallen away from being one of England's best, to being almost an also ran of the league.

No one can deny that Liverpool are easily one of the biggest in the country, going on their tradition and their success in previous decades, the amount of titles they've won, 5 champions leagues and numerous cup victories, but since the mid nineties they've fallen behind, clearly something about the PL has hampered them achieving what they did so fruitfully in the past.

Life is a game of fate.

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 13:10 - May 31 with 4277 viewsnordenblue

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 12:43 - May 31 by olympicdale

I'm not going on attendance, I never believe that hype of, "we got more fans than you, so we're bigger than you" crap, I just find it amazing that since the formation of the premierleague they have fallen away from being one of England's best, to being almost an also ran of the league.

No one can deny that Liverpool are easily one of the biggest in the country, going on their tradition and their success in previous decades, the amount of titles they've won, 5 champions leagues and numerous cup victories, but since the mid nineties they've fallen behind, clearly something about the PL has hampered them achieving what they did so fruitfully in the past.

So biggest based on history? Can we also then class Blackpool and Preston as still one of the biggest clubs in the country then too? I don't buy into that at all, like many others they are living firmly in the past and still rely on titles, cups etc won decades ago for bragging rights?!For me they've won 1 cup of any great stature in possibly the most freakish game ever seen in the last 2 decades, a friend of mine still believes the worlds most over priced striker ever is still a good buy in his eyes, how deluded some people really are
Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 14:08 - May 31 with 4240 viewsChaffRAFC

I like what Brendan Rodgers has done at Swansea. They've played some quite brilliant football this past season and were a credit to the Premier League. I also don't blame him for leaving Swansea. At the moment he'll be regarded as one of the best up and coming managers in the country but all too often, we see teams like Swansea have a poor second season for one reason or another and if that were to happen, this sort of opportunity may not come around for a long time.

That said, I also agree with people saying he's on a hiding to nothing. The vast majority of Liverpool fans still live in the 1980's and think they're one of the biggest clubs in Europe. They're not. They've not won a domestic league title in 23 years. Even Blackburn Rovers have won it in that time. They still think, like Newcastle, that their fans are most passionate in the land and always know best when it comes to managers. Newcastle fans made a big song and dance about Keegan coming back, Liverpool did exactly the same with Dalglish. Both, in the end, did absolutely nothing. Some Liverpool fans were on Sky Sports News yesterday saying that Rodgers wasn't a big enough name for them. This sums them up brilliantly. Alan Pardew isn't a big "name" but has worked wonders at Newcastle where other "big names" have failed. Chelsea have suffered the same fate and it's taken an average former player to win them the Champions League for the first time where Scolari, Villas Boas, Hiddink et al failed.

The sooner Liverpool fans realise that their glories lay well and truly in the past, the better for their football club. I hope for Brendan Rodgers' sake that he knows what to expect when they've not got 21 points from their first 7 games.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 14:22 - May 31 with 4225 viewsD_Alien

Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool's new manager. on 12:43 - May 31 by olympicdale

I'm not particularly interested in "we've got more fans than you" either; rather the ability of a club to generate income from those attending.

Having a ground capacity in excess of 52000 (Newcastle) is always going to confer an advantage to a club with a ground capacity limited to under 45000, hence why Arsenal moved to the Emirates, Liverpool are seeking to piss their fans off by moving from Anfield and Spurs sought a move to the Olympic stadium.

There's nothing amazing about clubs having success over a longish period of time then falling by the wayside, it's the entirely natural ebb and flo of footballing power over the decades.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024