Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
You will do yourself a favour if you read this post/thread about "Our Town" 00:54 - Sep 23 with 993 viewsDavillin

Please do yourself a favour and read on . . .

I just read a review of a British production of Thornton Wilder's "Our Town," and felt that I had to write this.

"Our Town" is one of the greatest plays ever written [outside of Shakespeare's]. In my professorial life, I read it many times, taught it several times, saw the motion picture on TV many times, saw it live on stage several times, and once played a part in a stage production. It's two years younger than I am, by the way, and still soars [unlike me].

I believe that many of you would go away from this play, as I continue to be -- struck for life by the brilliance of it.

First of all, I strongly urge you to be sure to start with the first motion picture of the play. Find it on youtube.com at:

Of course, there are other versions on youtube, but I ask you to take my word that this is the gemstone of them all.

I have the utmost respect for the literary understanding and wisdom of many posters on PlanetSwans, and would be delighted to hear your thoughts on it.

And now I'm going to go and watch it again.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

You will do yourself a favour if you read this post/thread about "Our Town" on 00:59 - Sep 23 with 991 viewsDavillin

postscript:

The review I refer to is at this URL:}

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2017/sep/22/our-town-review-thornton-wilder-ma

If you go to ]i]The Guardian and do a search for "Thornton Wilder Our Town," you'll find several other older reviews there.

[i hope you'll favour mine. ]

You will do yourself a favour if you read this post/thread about "Our Town" on 02:31 - Sep 23 with 965 viewsDavillin

Let's find time to look at one another.

Before our time runs out.

As it must.

You will do yourself a favour if you read this post/thread about "Our Town" on 03:41 - Sep 23 with 956 viewsMeraki

You will do yourself a favour if you read this post/thread about "Our Town" on 02:31 - Sep 23 by Davillin

Let's find time to look at one another.

Before our time runs out.

As it must.

You will do yourself a favour if you read this post/thread about "Our Town" on 08:38 - Sep 23 with 884 viewsJack_Meoff

You will do yourself a favour if you read this post/thread about "Our Town" on 03:41 - Sep 23 by Meraki

Means we're all going to die mush. So fill your days with good literature, film, wine, company and experiences.

You know, in between work like.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

You will do yourself a favour if you read this post/thread about "Our Town" on 12:49 - Sep 23 with 789 viewsGreatBritton

It's alright. It's not Shakespeare though. It's not even Pinter or Beckett
You will do yourself a favour if you read this post/thread about on 12:52 - Sep 23 with 784 viewsDavillin

You will do yourself a favour if you read this post/thread about "Our Town" on 03:41 - Sep 23 by Meraki

Sorry. You probably had to have watched the film to get the full import of that post.

The second post above replying to yours did a nice job of explaining it in a few succinct phrases, thanks.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2017 12:53]

You will do yourself a favour if you read this post/thread about "Our Town" on 13:00 - Sep 23 with 779 viewsDavillin

You will do yourself a favour if you read this post/thread about "Our Town" on 12:49 - Sep 23 by GreatBritton

It's alright. It's not Shakespeare though. It's not even Pinter or Beckett

Thanks, G.B. . . . although to be fair, it was never intended to be either.

These are very ordinary people living in a very ordinary small town at the turn of the 20th Century, and having to deal with forces of life much larger than themselves which are having an impact on their lives nonetheless.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024