Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sentiment - is it Dictating our Transfers? 10:15 - Jul 31 with 881 viewsAussieSwan

Am I the only one who thinks that our transfers (or lack of) are sometimes due to sentiment? Failing to push on and upgrade our squad through fear of upsetting or dislodging some of the so-called "old guard" who helped us get to the Prem?

The likes of Rangel, Taylor, Britton, Routledge, Dyer, etc... all fantastic club servants, all part of our team back when we got promoted, and (Dyer aside probably) all still in first XI calculations now. I'm not suggesting selling them as they are great back up, but I am a bit concerned that the club hasn't sought upgrades on them and tried to really push on in the Premier League.

I'd classify Ashley Williams as exempt as he is still vital to our first XI, and would make many other Premiership sides, but the likes of Britton, Taylor and Rangel would not (yet are still starting XI for us).

This isn't an attack on these players, and I admire the club for keeping them around the place rather than just casting them aside simply because we're in the Premiership. But my concern is that we may be overlooking glaring weaknesses in the squad and favouring some of the aforementioned players, who arguably aren't Premier League starting XI quality any more, simply as they are great club servants who helped us get to the Premier League.

Does anybody else feel the same way? Keen to hear feedback from others.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2016 11:24]

Poll: If we're going to sign another defender...

Sentiment on 10:34 - Jul 31 with 807 viewsStarsky

We had a core of players who lived the dream and came through the divisions and more that held their own in the Premier league.
Trouble is they are all at that borderline age of 'one more season' or ship them out.
Personally I feel that Britton has a a squad part to play this season, maybe Taylor too.
Sentiment certainly does pull at the strings for me. Rangel being the perfect case in point.
Too slow now but I will be gutted the day he hangs up his boots.

It's just the internet, init.

Sentiment on 10:45 - Jul 31 with 754 viewsClinton

Sentiment on 10:34 - Jul 31 by Starsky

We had a core of players who lived the dream and came through the divisions and more that held their own in the Premier league.
Trouble is they are all at that borderline age of 'one more season' or ship them out.
Personally I feel that Britton has a a squad part to play this season, maybe Taylor too.
Sentiment certainly does pull at the strings for me. Rangel being the perfect case in point.
Too slow now but I will be gutted the day he hangs up his boots.

Agreed. It's important to retain some of the group of players that have risen through the divisions over the years, even if they are only squad players.
The Swansea way is important; even if the style evolves, the culture which I can only describe as playing the 'right' way should be propagated through the generations by retaining some of the players who have stood us in good stead. A bit like the old Liverpool 'boot room' philosophy, I suppose.
It's quite a complex mix of seasoned pros, new blood, exciting players and less glamorous workhorses and 'club' men that's needed to keep us up in this league with the resources at our disposal. How we've done it for the last five years is a minor miracle, long may it continue.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Sentiment on 10:46 - Jul 31 with 745 viewsSwansNZ

Routledge was one of our first buys in the PL.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Sentiment - is it Dictating our Transfers? on 11:56 - Jul 31 with 625 viewsdobjack2

No. In fact the opposite.

We are clearly trying to trim the squad and wages bill. Out with fringe players and high earners. I fully expect ash and ayew to go and suspect they could be followed by fab and possibly Taylor.

We then sign replacements for less than we received and on lower wages. The problem may come when our personal terms are considered by our target players and their agents and compared to other teams.
Sentiment - is it Dictating our Transfers? on 13:29 - Jul 31 with 499 viewsPhaedrus

Sentiment - is it dictating the transfer rumours people are circulating? A more accurate title. After all there have been very few actual transfers.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2016 13:29]

And what is good Phaedrus, and what is not good. Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

Sentiment - is it Dictating our Transfers? on 13:45 - Jul 31 with 432 viewsmagicdaps10

Agree to a certain extent to the OP. Players like Rangel,Britton and Routledge should not be considered first team players, due to their ages. Its vital that these players are part of their squad due to their experience and what they can bring to the table over a short period of games but you cant rely on Britton and Rnagel for over 30 games a season.

So may times fans will just see what happens with a player with ball at feet but fail to see other things when without the ball so i suspect many will disagree with my opinion.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024