Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where does Ainsworth go from here? 12:16 - Mar 15 with 27632 viewsmart_Goblin

What’s his next move here?
Reading between the lines you can tell he was very angry last night but he knows damn well that he has to walk on egg shells with this precious bunch. He will be all too aware of what they did to NC when he dared to publicly criticise them. He used words like weak last night which to me tells you his real mindset and not just his media voice.
After seeing the lineup last night before kick off I was surprised he didn’t make at least a couple of changes, for example he openly said Dozzell wanted to come off Saturday because he was knackered (huge red flag anyway that several members of our squad can’t play 90 bloody minutes), but in hindsight, if he had made changes and we got pumped 6-1 we’d all be saying he shouldn’t change a winning team .
Same team , same formation …it can’t always be the manager and we are once again realising the impossible job NC had.

Personally I hope he is tearing strips off of this bunch privately. Some of them are nothing but con men . You can’t do what you did Saturday and then serve up that garbage 72 hours later .

Getting this lot up and the same as last Saturday against Birmingham seems almost impossible now .

I hope he was in with LF this morning tearing strips off of him too. Imagine having to work with this lot on a daily basis ?

GA being here also means that we now have to stop shopping in the premier league A & E department. You need to fit to play the way he wants and this lot ain’t no where near it . Not physically or mentally able or just plain injured all the time. Those won’t work under GA .
[Post edited 15 Mar 2023 12:28]
Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 09:15 - Mar 24 with 3518 viewsTheChef

Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 19:06 - Mar 23 by traininvain

Warburton didn’t gamble on anything, the club did and Warburton even rejected the opportunity to sign another striker in the January window. So that’s a bit of a myth that it was all driven by him.

I doubt the budget last season is much different to what it’s been this season with the likes of Roberts, Richards, Balogun, Tim etc. They won’t have been cheap in terms of loan fees and wages.

I agree it’s easier to say with hindsight but Warburton was a safe pair of hands whereas Beale was never going to stick around for long. The club got that decision wrong and imo it’s Ferdinand’s biggest mistake. He’s paid to get those decisions right.

And plenty of our supporters wanted Warburton to stay at the end of last season. As Punter rightly pointed out above, Warburton got a good reception in his last home game and the whole situation was a bit bizarre.

Thing is I don't think we were ever good enough for automatic promotion, but a play off place was achievable. But of course the play offs are a bit of a lottery too.

Main factors for the drop off in form were first Dieng getting injured and then Willock getting injured. Had they stayed fit, then who knows?

But ultimately the whole thing was a gamble. Promotion was in no way guaranteed.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 09:40 - Mar 24 with 3456 viewsjoe90

Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 21:56 - Mar 23 by traininvain

Roberts has been even worse than the pair of them! And I doubt he’s much cheaper in terms of wages.

Might be wrong but my understanding is Fernandes wanted Austin and Gray was more of a Warburton signing.

Roberts is very different to Austin and Gray.

We would have known what we were getting with him. I can see why the bought him in, but as we've seen with a lot of our transfers/loans it hasn't worked out.

Some luck we have.
Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 10:33 - Mar 24 with 3390 viewstraininvain

Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 09:40 - Mar 24 by joe90

Roberts is very different to Austin and Gray.

We would have known what we were getting with him. I can see why the bought him in, but as we've seen with a lot of our transfers/loans it hasn't worked out.

Some luck we have.

Roberts was a poor signing. Plenty of Leeds fans were laughing when we signed him so the warning signs were there.
Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 10:41 - Mar 24 with 3376 viewsTheChef

Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 10:33 - Mar 24 by traininvain

Roberts was a poor signing. Plenty of Leeds fans were laughing when we signed him so the warning signs were there.

Yep, similar negative comments from a Leeds mate of mine.

As mentioned above, summer recruitment was just not good enough, the only decent permanent addition we made was Paal.

Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 11:16 - Mar 24 with 3306 viewsNorthantsHoop

If teams like Luton and Millwall are now making sustained challenges over 2 or 3 seasons for play off positions then we need to change drastically from our perceived soft touch style. Recruitment needs to change from academy through to first team, the better teams in this division have a much more physical profile we don't. I am fed up watching from my seat bigger stronger opposition players do a number on us, game in game out and this has been going on for a few seasons now. I like little Drewe, Paal, Kakay etc but lets face it they look so lightweight against the 6 foot plus players we see against them.
Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 11:55 - Mar 24 with 3261 viewsTheChef

Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 11:16 - Mar 24 by NorthantsHoop

If teams like Luton and Millwall are now making sustained challenges over 2 or 3 seasons for play off positions then we need to change drastically from our perceived soft touch style. Recruitment needs to change from academy through to first team, the better teams in this division have a much more physical profile we don't. I am fed up watching from my seat bigger stronger opposition players do a number on us, game in game out and this has been going on for a few seasons now. I like little Drewe, Paal, Kakay etc but lets face it they look so lightweight against the 6 foot plus players we see against them.

Well yes - much as we'd all love us to play sparkling entertaining football (and hopefully we still can at times) but the reality of the current Championship is that you need physically fit (not injury prone) players to get around the pitch and put a foot/head in. As an absolute bare minimum. And with the current set of players we're nowhere near that.

Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 12:09 - Mar 24 with 3243 viewsDannyPaddox

The face when you join a thread late and your that close to doing a Haircut 100 based spackman.

McCarthy got there in the 3rd reply 👏🏼
Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 13:39 - Mar 24 with 3114 viewsR_from_afar

Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 19:06 - Mar 23 by traininvain

Warburton didn’t gamble on anything, the club did and Warburton even rejected the opportunity to sign another striker in the January window. So that’s a bit of a myth that it was all driven by him.

I doubt the budget last season is much different to what it’s been this season with the likes of Roberts, Richards, Balogun, Tim etc. They won’t have been cheap in terms of loan fees and wages.

I agree it’s easier to say with hindsight but Warburton was a safe pair of hands whereas Beale was never going to stick around for long. The club got that decision wrong and imo it’s Ferdinand’s biggest mistake. He’s paid to get those decisions right.

And plenty of our supporters wanted Warburton to stay at the end of last season. As Punter rightly pointed out above, Warburton got a good reception in his last home game and the whole situation was a bit bizarre.

Re Warburton, what I don’t believe we know is whether *he* wanted to stay. Maybe he was ambivalent about staying.

It’s not just about what the club wants to do, it’s also about the manager’s intentions too.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Login to get fewer ads

Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 16:07 - Mar 24 with 2957 viewsPinnerPaul

Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 19:10 - Mar 22 by kernowhoop

Oh dear. That killed the discussion, which was not what I had hoped for.

Does anyone have any idea what goes on in defensive coaching?

Did Warburton tell them to do one thing; Beale tell them to do another and Critchley something else? If so, it would not be surprising if the players were a bit muddled.
Is defensive coaching - set pieces, shape etc - all from one coaching manual, or, are there alternatives (beyond the argument between man-to-man and zonal marking)?

When I captained a Sunday league team in the 1970s, I would shout 'Man each. Keep it tight at the back!' Presumably, there is more to it than that .

Warburton told Clive that the defenders lost money when we conceded from set pieces, so that didn't work - when Clive tried to point that out in a "humorous" way, it ended badly!
Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 16:11 - Mar 24 with 2934 viewsPinnerPaul

Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 21:58 - Mar 22 by joe90

We absolutely leaked goals under Warbs, but we were also scoring them. I don’t think I ‘romanticise’ that period, but it did feel like we were going in the right direction. There was a distinct style of football and we were riding high on Eze.

With Ainsworth I’m not expecting anything from him this season, just needs to get it done with. Once summer comes he can clear the des wood.

It would be interesting to see what he does if we do manage to stay up. I wonder how different it would be to what he’d do if we go down?

Not sure how finishing the season 23rd out of 24 on form was 'going forward'?

Can't really have been in a much worse position that we are now, so probably wrong to not renew his contract, but agree with above, wrong to romanticise his period in charge which contained 2 lengthy poor runs - he's obviously not alone in that but they happened nonetheless.
Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 16:12 - Mar 24 with 2932 viewsPinnerPaul

Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 15:25 - Mar 21 by TheChef

Well we did use loans to great effect in our Championship winning season. But of course it's easier to attract players of a greater calibre when you're doing well (or not losing the manager who brought those players in, in the first place).

Very true
Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 18:04 - Mar 24 with 2784 viewsPunteR

Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 13:39 - Mar 24 by R_from_afar

Re Warburton, what I don’t believe we know is whether *he* wanted to stay. Maybe he was ambivalent about staying.

It’s not just about what the club wants to do, it’s also about the manager’s intentions too.

He was asked in an interview, can't remember which, could have been West London sports podcast?. I seem to recall is was a straight forward question regarding his contract. This was in his 3rd season. His response was something along the lines of you'll have to ask the board that, they've had no discussions.
Which suggests to me the decision to not renew his contract was in the clubs court but just didnt pursue it.
Thats how I remember the podcast chat.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 18:21 - Mar 24 with 2756 viewsNorthernr

Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 16:07 - Mar 24 by PinnerPaul

Warburton told Clive that the defenders lost money when we conceded from set pieces, so that didn't work - when Clive tried to point that out in a "humorous" way, it ended badly!

Badly for me, you guys seemed to really enjoy it
Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 19:05 - Mar 24 with 2687 viewsPinnerPaul

Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 18:21 - Mar 24 by Northernr

Badly for me, you guys seemed to really enjoy it

Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 21:40 - Mar 24 with 2571 viewsjoe90

Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 16:11 - Mar 24 by PinnerPaul

Not sure how finishing the season 23rd out of 24 on form was 'going forward'?

Can't really have been in a much worse position that we are now, so probably wrong to not renew his contract, but agree with above, wrong to romanticise his period in charge which contained 2 lengthy poor runs - he's obviously not alone in that but they happened nonetheless.

Considering the previous three seasons we’d finished 18th, 16th and 19th, I’d say finishing 13th, 9th and 11th was a sign of going forward, especially with all the buzz around Eze.
Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 14:02 - Mar 26 with 2315 viewsPinnerPaul

Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 21:40 - Mar 24 by joe90

Considering the previous three seasons we’d finished 18th, 16th and 19th, I’d say finishing 13th, 9th and 11th was a sign of going forward, especially with all the buzz around Eze.

Fair enough, but as others have said, not really what most thought at the time and given we were 23rd best team in the league at the time, that's not surprising.
Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 16:35 - Mar 26 with 2185 viewstraininvain

Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 14:02 - Mar 26 by PinnerPaul

Fair enough, but as others have said, not really what most thought at the time and given we were 23rd best team in the league at the time, that's not surprising.

Isn’t that a bit like saying we would’ve been promoted if the whole season had run during the calendar year of 2021. It’s a bit irrelevant as we finished the respective seasons 9th and 11th in the league.

Granted we had some poor runs under Warburton. Same as every manager we’ve had in recent history and it’s got worse since he left so make of that what you will. But surely the most relevant benchmark when judging Warburton’s reign is the league positions we finished under him.
Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 16:40 - Mar 26 with 2149 viewsPinnerPaul

Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 16:35 - Mar 26 by traininvain

Isn’t that a bit like saying we would’ve been promoted if the whole season had run during the calendar year of 2021. It’s a bit irrelevant as we finished the respective seasons 9th and 11th in the league.

Granted we had some poor runs under Warburton. Same as every manager we’ve had in recent history and it’s got worse since he left so make of that what you will. But surely the most relevant benchmark when judging Warburton’s reign is the league positions we finished under him.

Yes all that's true, but doesn't change the anger around both the bad runs under him.

Its football after all - all very well being rational about it now, but many were not at the time.

Even now you have a few idiots on social media wanting GA gone!

Clearly with hindsight it was the wrong decision.

I suppose the crux of the argument is should the club have given MW more credit for his 3 years as a whole and ignored the bad runs .

Not that simple of course, as we have the matter of the 'politics' behind the scenes which we don't have 100% clarity on.
Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 11:02 - Mar 27 with 1918 viewsdaveB

Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 16:35 - Mar 26 by traininvain

In each of his 3 seasons he had runs like the one we are on now, as a club we've had these kind of runs every season for 8/9 years now as well, we usually manage to turn it around ad do enough to stay up, hopefully they can again this year
Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 11:47 - Mar 27 with 1862 viewsNorthantsHoop

Warburton was great for QPR, best manager in years. I believe Ainsworth will come come good and will establish us as a hard to beat Championship team, once he is able to build a new squad.
Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 17:34 - Mar 27 with 1704 viewsQPROslo

Where does Ainsworth go from here? on 11:47 - Mar 27 by NorthantsHoop

Warburton was great for QPR, best manager in years. I believe Ainsworth will come come good and will establish us as a hard to beat Championship team, once he is able to build a new squad.

Warburton definitely the best since Colin imo and of course I can prove it, not.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024