Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Isle of Wight Festival 07:37 - Jun 14 with 3061 viewsPatfromPoole

Any Uglies going this week?

Hoping for fantastic weather, as we got last September.

Plenty of coverage on SKY Arts again for those who can’t make it to the island.

Looking forward to it.

I’m happy the likes of Kooks, Charlatans, Blossoms, Amazons, Snuts, Madness and Chic are on the bill.

Going to try and catch Kasabian, as have never seen them before but they always seem to go down well. As with Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Isle of Wight Festival on 07:49 - Jun 14 with 2427 viewssaintwizzler

Are you taping Love Island?
❤️ 🏝

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Isle of Wight Festival on 08:00 - Jun 14 with 2410 viewsdarthvader

Going on sunday as im a huge MUSE fan

keep the faith coyr

Isle of Wight Festival on 08:24 - Jun 14 with 2397 viewsPatfromPoole

Isle of Wight Festival on 07:49 - Jun 14 by saintwizzler

Are you taping Love Island?
❤️ 🏝

Not enough space on the generic recording device to record both that and Loose Women, hun.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2022 8:24]

Isle of Wight Festival on 08:25 - Jun 14 with 2396 viewsPatfromPoole

Isle of Wight Festival on 08:00 - Jun 14 by darthvader

Going on sunday as im a huge MUSE fan

Ah, I fear I would have to miss Muse to watch The Kooks on the Big Top Stage, sir.

Isle of Wight Festival on 09:55 - Jun 14 with 2331 viewsdirk_doone

I went to the ones in '69 and '70. I fear it's been pretty much downhill since then both for me and the Isle of Wight Festival.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Isle of Wight Festival on 09:58 - Jun 14 with 2321 viewssaint68

Isle of Wight Festival on 09:55 - Jun 14 by dirk_doone

I went to the ones in '69 and '70. I fear it's been pretty much downhill since then both for me and the Isle of Wight Festival.

The WiFi is arguably greater nowadays though Dirk 😁

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

Isle of Wight Festival on 10:53 - Jun 14 with 2295 viewssaint901

Went a couple of years ago and had some great times - saw Biffy Clyro close the festival.

The Friday is not too bad until you get to Nile Rodgers and then Madness - have to say that I've never been a fan of either.

Kasabian were fabulous when Tom Meighan was the lead singer but he's gone now and Serge is doing that job with some back up from the band. They're not quite the same, nor dare I say it, quite as good. Heaton and Abbot (ex Beautiful South) were good a couple of decades ago. She still has a great voice but can they recapture those old days?

Muse are always reliable but I often wish that they were a little less than perfect as they sound - even on festival stages - just like their recordings.

On Sunday go and see Wet Leg. Couple of local girls making big waves. Also Freya Ridings worth checking out.

Otherwise I really don't get the inclusion of acts who were great two or three decades ago but who I suspect are displaying their age.

Not for me this year.

I have tickets for Leon Bridges next week. Then we're on holiday and will be picking up gigs from The Band Camino and Phoebe Bridgers before coming home to see Paolo Nutini and Bastille. (Although I confess that the last two are part of a festival in the post part of a grubby little naval port along the coast from St MArys'.)
Isle of Wight Festival on 11:02 - Jun 14 with 2292 viewsPatfromPoole

Isle of Wight Festival on 10:53 - Jun 14 by saint901

Went a couple of years ago and had some great times - saw Biffy Clyro close the festival.

The Friday is not too bad until you get to Nile Rodgers and then Madness - have to say that I've never been a fan of either.

Kasabian were fabulous when Tom Meighan was the lead singer but he's gone now and Serge is doing that job with some back up from the band. They're not quite the same, nor dare I say it, quite as good. Heaton and Abbot (ex Beautiful South) were good a couple of decades ago. She still has a great voice but can they recapture those old days?

Muse are always reliable but I often wish that they were a little less than perfect as they sound - even on festival stages - just like their recordings.

On Sunday go and see Wet Leg. Couple of local girls making big waves. Also Freya Ridings worth checking out.

Otherwise I really don't get the inclusion of acts who were great two or three decades ago but who I suspect are displaying their age.

Not for me this year.

I have tickets for Leon Bridges next week. Then we're on holiday and will be picking up gigs from The Band Camino and Phoebe Bridgers before coming home to see Paolo Nutini and Bastille. (Although I confess that the last two are part of a festival in the post part of a grubby little naval port along the coast from St MArys'.)

I went to the 2019 one as well.

Noel was really good, and Courteeners and James, I thought.

Login to get fewer ads

Isle of Wight Festival on 12:32 - Jun 14 with 2261 viewssaint901

Isle of Wight Festival on 11:02 - Jun 14 by PatfromPoole

I went to the 2019 one as well.

Noel was really good, and Courteeners and James, I thought.

Aside from Biffy in 2019, stand outs for me were Sigala (drum n bass), The Coral and Freya Ridings.

I really don't get the Madness thing. OK, upbeat and a bit zany, but all their songs sound the same. Nile Rodgers the same.

Noel? Take it or leave it.

James? Old band playing old music - sorry.
Isle of Wight Festival on 11:28 - Jun 15 with 2013 viewsdarthvader

Isle of Wight Festival on 08:25 - Jun 14 by PatfromPoole

Ah, I fear I would have to miss Muse to watch The Kooks on the Big Top Stage, sir.

Thats criminal .

keep the faith coyr

Isle of Wight Festival on 11:38 - Jun 15 with 2007 viewsdarthvader

I went to see Queen last night at the O2 I have to say what an absolute corker of a show it was .

I was very close to the extended stage bit so could see the whites of their eyes . Very very good and much better than i thought it would be .

Adam lambert is flambouyant ofcourse banging out the classics , but he has some voice . A couple of emotional bits with Freddie involved too Highly recommend

keep the faith coyr

Isle of Wight Festival on 20:20 - Jun 15 with 1913 viewsPatfromPoole

Isle of Wight Festival on 11:38 - Jun 15 by darthvader

I went to see Queen last night at the O2 I have to say what an absolute corker of a show it was .

I was very close to the extended stage bit so could see the whites of their eyes . Very very good and much better than i thought it would be .

Adam lambert is flambouyant ofcourse banging out the classics , but he has some voice . A couple of emotional bits with Freddie involved too Highly recommend

I went last Thursday with my wife and kids to the same show.

My wife is the Queen fanatic in our household.

Have to admit, they were indeed very good.

Isle of Wight Festival on 20:57 - Jun 15 with 1883 viewsSaintNick

Isle of Wight Festival on 20:20 - Jun 15 by PatfromPoole

I saw them at the Gaumont in November 1974 and then again November 1975, I have to admit I lost interest in them after that

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Isle of Wight Festival on 17:24 - Jun 18 with 1742 views1885_SFC

Saw ABC at the New Oxford Theatre last night. Old silk tonsils Martin Fry was as smooth with the vocals as he was 40-years ago when 'Lexicon of Love' was released. Great night.

Old School is Cool

Isle of Wight Festival on 22:31 - Jun 18 with 1622 views1teeminants

Isle of Wight Festival on 20:57 - Jun 15 by SaintNick

I saw them at the Gaumont in November 1974 and then again November 1975, I have to admit I lost interest in them after that

I saw them at Wembley 1986. The Magic tour. Absolutely brilliant !! .
[Post edited 18 Jun 2022 22:34]

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Isle of Wight Festival on 23:46 - Jun 18 with 1571 viewsSonicBoom

I saw Madness on sky arts from the IOW last night and they were crap. Suggs can barely sing now and was pretty much just talking the words.
Isle of Wight Festival on 07:13 - Jun 19 with 1488 viewsBerber

Isle of Wight Festival on 20:20 - Jun 15 by PatfromPoole

It is easy to overlook just how professional most music acts are. I was once conned into going to see a live Cliff Richard concert. I was horrified when I got to The Wembley Arena and saw who it was, but as I was with Mrs Berber and some friends, couldn’t really be churlish and refuse to go in (it was close though). It turns out that as always, live music can be magical, and the old duffer was supremely professional, so I just admired the performance, if not the music. But Lord, the rest of the audience - the fetid reek of middle aged damp knickers. I told Mrs Berber that if she ever tricked me like that again, it would be divorce for sure.
Isle of Wight Festival on 10:23 - Jun 19 with 1404 viewsSadoldgit

Isle of Wight Festival on 09:55 - Jun 14 by dirk_doone

Great line ups in those days. Did you see ELP?
Isle of Wight Festival on 00:03 - Jun 20 with 1222 viewscocklebreath

Just tried to watch muse, so dull, I was getting hot sweats and anxiety due to boredom, what a load of old pony, nearly as bad as Madness the other night. As for the crowd, it’s like the Northam stand full of fat women and weirdos filming the whole sh!t show, think I spotted Pat waving his phone in the air

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Isle of Wight Festival on 06:57 - Jun 20 with 1173 viewsTripleNiemi

Sadly have not been to the IoW Festival for a good few years now as the lines up have been a bit poor for my liking. That said hope you had a good time Pat as at least the weather held up.

I remember going in 2011 when the line up was excellent for my taste......Kasabian, KoL, Foos, Iggy and the Stooges, Pulp, Manics, The Cult, Joan Jett, Courteeners, Vaccines....top drawer year.

Wonder if Springsteen will make an appearance next year as the UK dates for his 2023 tour are still to be anounced. He was brilliant in 2012 at the IoW and as is fairly normal for him, they had to drag him off the stage as he played for well over three hours.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Isle of Wight Festival on 07:20 - Jun 20 with 1161 viewsPatfromPoole

Isle of Wight Festival on 00:03 - Jun 20 by cocklebreath

Just tried to watch muse, so dull, I was getting hot sweats and anxiety due to boredom, what a load of old pony, nearly as bad as Madness the other night. As for the crowd, it’s like the Northam stand full of fat women and weirdos filming the whole sh!t show, think I spotted Pat waving his phone in the air

Not guilty, sir.

Didn’t see any of Muse, as was at The Big Top Tent for The Kooks and The Charlatans, who were both superb.

Isle of Wight Festival on 08:32 - Jun 20 with 1102 viewsSaintNick

Isle of Wight Festival on 06:57 - Jun 20 by TripleNiemi

Sadly have not been to the IoW Festival for a good few years now as the lines up have been a bit poor for my liking. That said hope you had a good time Pat as at least the weather held up.

I remember going in 2011 when the line up was excellent for my taste......Kasabian, KoL, Foos, Iggy and the Stooges, Pulp, Manics, The Cult, Joan Jett, Courteeners, Vaccines....top drawer year.

Wonder if Springsteen will make an appearance next year as the UK dates for his 2023 tour are still to be anounced. He was brilliant in 2012 at the IoW and as is fairly normal for him, they had to drag him off the stage as he played for well over three hours.

The list of acts at the IOW festival and indeed all of those headlining festivals these days shows how music has become stunted.

When was the last truly big act to emerge ?

All the festival bands up high on the bill these days are all around 20 years old at best 15 .

Where is all the genuine new talent , it is out there but the market has changed, bands coming through these days have to give their music away for peanuts on spotify etc, they don't build up big live followings anymore as possibly Glastonbury aside which is big enough for variety, evvery other festival sticks to the tried and trusted.

Ive just looked at the line up, barely a band that broke through after 2005

Isle of Wight Festival on 08:41 - Jun 20 with 1099 viewsPatfromPoole

Isle of Wight Festival on 08:32 - Jun 20 by SaintNick

The list of acts at the IOW festival and indeed all of those headlining festivals these days shows how music has become stunted.

When was the last truly big act to emerge ?

All the festival bands up high on the bill these days are all around 20 years old at best 15 .

Where is all the genuine new talent , it is out there but the market has changed, bands coming through these days have to give their music away for peanuts on spotify etc, they don't build up big live followings anymore as possibly Glastonbury aside which is big enough for variety, evvery other festival sticks to the tried and trusted.

Ive just looked at the line up, barely a band that broke through after 2005

Lewis Capaldi headlined the main stage on Friday night.

Isle of Wight Festival on 09:16 - Jun 20 with 1071 viewsTripleNiemi

Isle of Wight Festival on 08:41 - Jun 20 by PatfromPoole

Lewis Capaldi headlined the main stage on Friday night.

Bring brutally honest, i know nothing of Lewis Capaldi.

On Nick's points i have to say i agree with what he is saying. I have seen dozens of fantastic bands in the last few years all of which, not many others will have heard of. These bands are releasing music, touring small venues and really having to work for their corn. Some then give up the ghost as there are few 'major contracts' dished out these days due to everything being robbed / stramed on Spotify or the like. There are the few exveptions of which i assume Capaldi would be one, along with Idles and say Fontaines DC. That said, their revenues are probably never gonna be anywhere near the likes of say U2, Springsteen and Killers for arguments sake.

All i will say is that there are hundreds of fab bands about, but you now have to go digging to find them.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Isle of Wight Festival on 09:26 - Jun 20 with 1053 viewsSaintNick

Isle of Wight Festival on 09:16 - Jun 20 by TripleNiemi

Bring brutally honest, i know nothing of Lewis Capaldi.

On Nick's points i have to say i agree with what he is saying. I have seen dozens of fantastic bands in the last few years all of which, not many others will have heard of. These bands are releasing music, touring small venues and really having to work for their corn. Some then give up the ghost as there are few 'major contracts' dished out these days due to everything being robbed / stramed on Spotify or the like. There are the few exveptions of which i assume Capaldi would be one, along with Idles and say Fontaines DC. That said, their revenues are probably never gonna be anywhere near the likes of say U2, Springsteen and Killers for arguments sake.

All i will say is that there are hundreds of fab bands about, but you now have to go digging to find them.

I agree with Triple here, there are a lot of bands about but few push on to be truly big, even Lewis Capaldi has been knocking about for 8 years or so, I had to look this up and it seems he has only had 1 album out in his career that being 3 years ago in 2019.

I wouldn't recognise him if he sat next to me at St mary's.

Idles and Fontaines DC looked like they could become big in 2018, but four years later they haven't moved on, they are still a good live draw at festivals etc, but in the main they havent got past the 2,000 capacity provincial venue dates

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024