Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... 13:58 - May 9 with 106787 viewshubble

..posted by a good friend of mine on Facebook, thought I'd share it on here. He's a former professional footballer (briefly for Birmingham City) and a former copper, working mainly out of Camden police station. He grew up in Kilburn/Queens Park. He's now a writer (among other things).

Worth a read I think, hope you enjoy, whether you agree with him or not, even when he veers off-topic...

"Thoughts of the Week (part 1)

Let’s start with a subheading. ‘Dear, oh dear Diane Abbot!’

In the upcoming General Election campaign and apart from the ‘Leader’ (no, not Gary Glitter) no one is more important for the Labour Party campaign than the Shadow Home Secretary. Why’s this? You ask.
The reason is obvious: Theresa May —the strong woman, Ms subtle, but steely - was the former Home Secretary. A position which she used to inflict near terminal ravages of the nation’s police forces. Under her auspices we saw numbers cut, benefits cut and police stations closed willy-nilly to cash in, short-term, on the booming (especially in London) property market.

The short-sightedness of this policy is astounding. No matter the so-called austerity budget (which only seems to apply to the working classes, while the privileged elite continue to live the life of Riley) the question must be asked as to what will happen when there’s some serious social unrest — and you can feel it stirring. Remember 2011 when the riots broke out? We had anarchy and nihilism on the streets and the police force didn’t cope with it at all. Instead we had a grand mopping up campaign. Suddenly all those poor silly students who had been demonised as hard-core criminals after they smashed the windows of the Tory HQ — and received ridiculously harsh prison sentences for what were in the main first offences - were kicked out of the pokey and replaced by the new batch of rioters. The Criminal Justice system ground to a halt, the prison’s overflowed. The courts were as ram-jam packed as a back-in-the-day David Rodigan dance. In response what did the great Theresa May do? She further decimated the police force. She did the same to the prison service. The vaunted Border Force, our first defence, is comically short of manpower and morale as they attempt to hire staff on Mickey-Mouse contracts. Labour should be slaughtering Theresa May on what she’s done. Instead we got that car crash of an interview on LBC.

To be honest I resisted calls to listen to it for a time. Some of my more right-leaning pals were raving about it, but I thought they were overreacting due to a general contempt for the Hackney MP. I was wrong. When I actually got round to listening to it I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. It was stunningly incompetent, mind-blowingly nonsensical, embarrassing and shocking. Is this the Shadow Home Secretary who’s going to lead the challenge to Theresa May’s record? She should have stood down immediately and if not the great leader should have forced her hand, no matter past rendezvous in the sack. Of course it didn’t happen and Labour under Jeremy Corbyn has no hope in this election. What a shame it all is because there are loads of issues that they should be taking the government to task on. Just look at that bumbling Tommy Cooper impersonator of a Foreign Secretary, a million miles removed from a serious statesman: Mr Retraction — an embarrassment to the nation.

I’m voting Labour in the coming election, but not for Jeremy, more for the thought of the millions of people who are going to suffer under the coming five years of Tory rule: the working men and women who haven’t seen their wages rise, in real terms, for the last thirty years, while the fat cats, sharks and speculators are minted; the students starting out life saddled with debt; the millions who’ll never be able to afford a home; and in honour of the National Health Service, soon to be dismantled further, but remaining the brightest light in the nation’s modern history. What a rotten, unfair and unbalanced society we’ve become.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:39 - Jun 7 with 1414 views2Thomas2Bowles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:37 - Jun 7 by BucksRanger

No. Just pointing out that there are racists to be found in supporters of all political parties. I don't like your way of insinuating that only Tories are racists. It's a cheap shot from you to back up your political belief.

Ok lets look at something else how did May vote on gay marriage and on section 28

Ever that pig fecker Cameron was against her
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 11:43]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:40 - Jun 7 with 1409 viewsBillericayR

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:32 - Jun 7 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Are you making excuses for them, you know the ones that have been in power and could have done a lot more in the last 7 years

Ken Livingstone ??? I think he is some sort of "ist".

Currently suspended but will be back like a shot if the unthinkable happens.
Could be new FS on Friday morning.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:43 - Jun 7 with 1401 viewsJigsore

In the wake of the London Bridge attack May gushed of how our Western values such as human rights and freedom are what seperates us from Islamic extremism.

A few days later she's vowing to tear up the HRA. WHY do people view this as a good thing? Nearly all these attackers were known to police, banned from local Mosques, reported to the authorities, one of them was on the Channel 4 documentary about Jihadis if you can believe it. Unless you the police are going to arrest over 20,000 people they see as any sort of risk then the problem here is

May's nasty authoritarian streak is what seperates her from any other PM we've had in modern times. She seems determined to curb freedoms and tell us it's necessary when in fact it's a knee-jerk response to 2 attacks in quick succession. She's dangerous.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:46 - Jun 7 with 1392 views2Thomas2Bowles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:40 - Jun 7 by BillericayR

Ken Livingstone ??? I think he is some sort of "ist".

Currently suspended but will be back like a shot if the unthinkable happens.
Could be new FS on Friday morning.

How about the tory who wanted disabled kids put down

If we are going to sling some mud bring it on I have plenty more

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:47 - Jun 7 with 1391 viewsJamesB1979

I can't believe some are saying that Abbotts skin colour has got anything to do with her standing down. She was ridiculed because she has a very senior position in th shadow cabinet and is clearly not up to the job. Who's making a point of her skin colour, those mocking or those defending her.

Sooner this election is over the better.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:50 - Jun 7 with 1384 viewsBucksRanger

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:39 - Jun 7 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Ok lets look at something else how did May vote on gay marriage and on section 28

Ever that pig fecker Cameron was against her
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 11:43]

Absolutely no idea. I don't like the woman and I certainly don't follow her voting history on each and every item.

Stop trying to deflect from the racist angle. There are racists in all political parties and you should acknowledge that. It makes you appear small minded when you try to lump racists into the Tory party whilst you ignore racists in your own party.

You may think I'm a Tory for responding to your nonsense but I'm not. I haven't voted for them in nearly 25 years now. And I'm not entirely English either if that should be of interest.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:56 - Jun 7 with 1359 viewsBillericayR

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:46 - Jun 7 by 2Thomas2Bowles

How about the tory who wanted disabled kids put down

If we are going to sling some mud bring it on I have plenty more

I am sure plenty of mud can be found to sling from all sides.

But keep it - we might be eating it or living in it soon as we could be going back to the dark ages.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:56 - Jun 7 with 1359 views2Thomas2Bowles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:50 - Jun 7 by BucksRanger

Absolutely no idea. I don't like the woman and I certainly don't follow her voting history on each and every item.

Stop trying to deflect from the racist angle. There are racists in all political parties and you should acknowledge that. It makes you appear small minded when you try to lump racists into the Tory party whilst you ignore racists in your own party.

You may think I'm a Tory for responding to your nonsense but I'm not. I haven't voted for them in nearly 25 years now. And I'm not entirely English either if that should be of interest.

You are the one who said I was just point scoring so I changed it to other issues with May and tories.

Maybe you should not vote you are clearly politically illiterate, sadly that goes for many on both sides and the reason many don't vote. too fecking stupid

Login to get fewer ads

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:59 - Jun 7 with 1351 views2Thomas2Bowles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:56 - Jun 7 by BillericayR

I am sure plenty of mud can be found to sling from all sides.

But keep it - we might be eating it or living in it soon as we could be going back to the dark ages.

1800's with the tories

Slums and landlords by the plenty already, soup kitchens and food banks
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 11:59]

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:02 - Jun 7 with 1339 viewsBucksRanger

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:56 - Jun 7 by 2Thomas2Bowles

You are the one who said I was just point scoring so I changed it to other issues with May and tories.

Maybe you should not vote you are clearly politically illiterate, sadly that goes for many on both sides and the reason many don't vote. too fecking stupid

I prefer to think of myself as politically open minded rather than illiterate but go ahead and throw your shit at me if it makes you feel better. You are not a good example for the labour party. People like you and Diane Abbott are two examples of why people will think twice about voting for them.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 12:02]
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:05 - Jun 7 with 1327 viewsstevec

I hope Diane makes a speedy recovery and takes her place back on This Week.

Andrew Neil and Portillo were always really nice with her, treating her with the utmost respect.

Sadly she still remained thick.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:07 - Jun 7 with 1315 views2Thomas2Bowles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:02 - Jun 7 by BucksRanger

I prefer to think of myself as politically open minded rather than illiterate but go ahead and throw your shit at me if it makes you feel better. You are not a good example for the labour party. People like you and Diane Abbott are two examples of why people will think twice about voting for them.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 12:02]

But I'm betting you know feck all about Abbot as a local mp, after all you don't follow such things which says you are not as open minded as you say you are and beyond the media your mind is closed
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 12:08]

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:21 - Jun 7 with 1282 viewsBucksRanger

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:07 - Jun 7 by 2Thomas2Bowles

But I'm betting you know feck all about Abbot as a local mp, after all you don't follow such things which says you are not as open minded as you say you are and beyond the media your mind is closed
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 12:08]

I'm just not into politics the way you are. I long ago decided that the vast majority of politicians from all parties were duplicitous, self serving, greedy dipsticks and I wasn't going to waste too much of my time having anything to do with them. Someone on LFW posted something recently to the effect that there are only two types of person in this world, the right sorts and absolute c**ts. I put 95% of all politicians in that second category. You have your fun playing politics with these c**ts. To me it's just one big waste of time. Someone will get my vote tomorrow and I still don't know who as they are all so crap but that's about it from me politically for the next 5 years. On the other hand I bet you will be banging on long and hard during all that time that all labour politicians are angels and everyone on the rest of the political spectrum are devils incarnate. Open your eyes. The labour party has radicalised you.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:36 - Jun 7 with 1240 viewsNorthernr

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:56 - Jun 7 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Was there any need for that? Wind it in a bit.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:49 - Jun 7 with 1197 viewssimmo

Removing Abbot is great news for all those looking to vote Labour that were doing so knowing that an incompetent person would hold such an important position. Corbyn should have done this weeks ago.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:57 - Jun 7 with 1171 viewsJamesB1979

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:49 - Jun 7 by simmo

Removing Abbot is great news for all those looking to vote Labour that were doing so knowing that an incompetent person would hold such an important position. Corbyn should have done this weeks ago.

Her next job will be leading the Brexit negotiations.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:02 - Jun 7 with 1154 views2Thomas2Bowles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:36 - Jun 7 by Northernr

Was there any need for that? Wind it in a bit.

Stupid in regards those that don't vote or can't see beyond the headlines of a tory press.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 13:04]

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:07 - Jun 7 with 1121 viewsBrightonhoop

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:57 - Jun 7 by JamesB1979

Her next job will be leading the Brexit negotiations.

This is the problem with misinformtion and spreading it. Abbot wont be.
Sir Starmer QC highly respected, highly capable brilliant Legal mind honoured by the Palace, however, if Labour won, would be.

For the Tories it's Boris. Like sending Dumbo out to bat for you.

Tough choice for some I guess.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:08 - Jun 7 with 1119 viewsJamesB1979

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:02 - Jun 7 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Stupid in regards those that don't vote or can't see beyond the headlines of a tory press.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 13:04]

That's exactly what people were saying about those that voted to leave the EU.....and I voted to Remain! I couldn't care less if someone decided by drawing name out of hat. It's up to them and shouldn't be criticized for it
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:08 - Jun 7 with 1118 views2Thomas2Bowles

Proudly plagiarized

Let's say a Labour Party leader had been at the heart of government for seven years and overseen massive cuts to the police force, despite countless warnings that they were neglecting their primary duty to protect public safety.

And then just days before a general election a terrorist atrocity is carried out by an Islamist fanatic who was so well know they'd even been featured in a bloody TV programme called "The Jihadis Next Door".

Do you think the S*n, Daily Mail and Express would do absolutely nothing to hold this Labour leader to account for their shockingly lax attitude towards public safety, and instead concentrate all of their efforts on smearing the Conservative opposition leader as a last ditch propaganda effort to keep the negligent Labour leader in power?

Of course they wouldn't. They'd be (rightly) calling for the negligent leader to resign on their front pages.

The fact that they're not lifting a finger to hold Theresa May to account is absolute proof that they think she is totally beyond accountability, in the same way they think they're above accountability too when they do stuff like hack into the mobile phone of a murdered teenage girl and give the parents false hope that she's still alive (Theresa May's manifesto includes a promise to throw the Leveson Report into press corruption in the bin).

It's a shame on our nation that so many people still read these despicable propaganda rag

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:12 - Jun 7 with 1109 viewsCroydonCaptJack

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:37 - Jun 7 by BucksRanger

No. Just pointing out that there are racists to be found in supporters of all political parties. I don't like your way of insinuating that only Tories are racists. It's a cheap shot from you to back up your political belief.

You are wasting your time arguing with him mate.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:12 - Jun 7 with 1109 viewsJamesB1979

Discussion has gone......now just force feeding political views. This election really doesn't bring out the best in us.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:16 - Jun 7 with 1093 viewsJamesB1979

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:07 - Jun 7 by Brightonhoop

This is the problem with misinformtion and spreading it. Abbot wont be.
Sir Starmer QC highly respected, highly capable brilliant Legal mind honoured by the Palace, however, if Labour won, would be.

For the Tories it's Boris. Like sending Dumbo out to bat for you.

Tough choice for some I guess.

I was joking. This is why I'm so bored of this election. How on earth could my comment be taken seriously?? We've completely lost our sense of humour. That sky interview with DA was the best moment of the campaign. Not because it showed her to be incompetent or that I'm Tory or Lib Dem or any other party.....it was just bloody funny. If you support your party so much that you can't laugh at it, then i think something's wrong.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:16 - Jun 7 with 1093 viewsQPR_Jim

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:21 - Jun 7 by BucksRanger

I'm just not into politics the way you are. I long ago decided that the vast majority of politicians from all parties were duplicitous, self serving, greedy dipsticks and I wasn't going to waste too much of my time having anything to do with them. Someone on LFW posted something recently to the effect that there are only two types of person in this world, the right sorts and absolute c**ts. I put 95% of all politicians in that second category. You have your fun playing politics with these c**ts. To me it's just one big waste of time. Someone will get my vote tomorrow and I still don't know who as they are all so crap but that's about it from me politically for the next 5 years. On the other hand I bet you will be banging on long and hard during all that time that all labour politicians are angels and everyone on the rest of the political spectrum are devils incarnate. Open your eyes. The labour party has radicalised you.

I agree with you about 95% of politicians, although I would say that "duplicitous, self serving, greedy dipsticks" is being too polite. I also agree that it's the same both sides, all parties etc. But I find this makes me more determined to have them held to account, to cut through their BS and try to find someone worthy of being in office.

To that end, that's why I will vote Labour, mainly because my local reasons such as the candidate and because our local Tory council has decided to cut pre-schools for 3-4 year olds to fund a festival that they hope will attract tourism and be a benefit for local businesses. Why the feck those benefiting from it aren't paying for it is beyond me but tomorrow is a chance to send them a message.

But when you look at Corbyn and how a brief period of forced impartiality from the media due to the election campaign has coincided with his surge in the polls, it shows how we are not allowed impartiality most of the time. Now they've come out to attack him again today knowing the damage will be done and votes lost for Labour tomorrow with a fine and little else action coming later. Whether you're voting Labour tomorrow or not I think you should be concerned about how much influence the likes of Murdock have still over our democracy. It relates to why Abbot is mocked while Boris is referred to warmly as bumbling, it's not about race to me more political bias.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:21 - Jun 7 with 1064 views2Thomas2Bowles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:12 - Jun 7 by CroydonCaptJack

You are wasting your time arguing with him mate.

Yeah because you are devoid of anything to debate about

I've yet to see a post on here that gives reason to vote tory outside attacking labour in the same way the tory press is. apart from the true tory who wanted more cuts and did not give a feck about anyone else

Go back to reading the Sun
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 13:22]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024