Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... 13:58 - May 9 with 106784 viewshubble

..posted by a good friend of mine on Facebook, thought I'd share it on here. He's a former professional footballer (briefly for Birmingham City) and a former copper, working mainly out of Camden police station. He grew up in Kilburn/Queens Park. He's now a writer (among other things).

Worth a read I think, hope you enjoy, whether you agree with him or not, even when he veers off-topic...

"Thoughts of the Week (part 1)

Let’s start with a subheading. ‘Dear, oh dear Diane Abbot!’

In the upcoming General Election campaign and apart from the ‘Leader’ (no, not Gary Glitter) no one is more important for the Labour Party campaign than the Shadow Home Secretary. Why’s this? You ask.
The reason is obvious: Theresa May —the strong woman, Ms subtle, but steely - was the former Home Secretary. A position which she used to inflict near terminal ravages of the nation’s police forces. Under her auspices we saw numbers cut, benefits cut and police stations closed willy-nilly to cash in, short-term, on the booming (especially in London) property market.

The short-sightedness of this policy is astounding. No matter the so-called austerity budget (which only seems to apply to the working classes, while the privileged elite continue to live the life of Riley) the question must be asked as to what will happen when there’s some serious social unrest — and you can feel it stirring. Remember 2011 when the riots broke out? We had anarchy and nihilism on the streets and the police force didn’t cope with it at all. Instead we had a grand mopping up campaign. Suddenly all those poor silly students who had been demonised as hard-core criminals after they smashed the windows of the Tory HQ — and received ridiculously harsh prison sentences for what were in the main first offences - were kicked out of the pokey and replaced by the new batch of rioters. The Criminal Justice system ground to a halt, the prison’s overflowed. The courts were as ram-jam packed as a back-in-the-day David Rodigan dance. In response what did the great Theresa May do? She further decimated the police force. She did the same to the prison service. The vaunted Border Force, our first defence, is comically short of manpower and morale as they attempt to hire staff on Mickey-Mouse contracts. Labour should be slaughtering Theresa May on what she’s done. Instead we got that car crash of an interview on LBC.

To be honest I resisted calls to listen to it for a time. Some of my more right-leaning pals were raving about it, but I thought they were overreacting due to a general contempt for the Hackney MP. I was wrong. When I actually got round to listening to it I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. It was stunningly incompetent, mind-blowingly nonsensical, embarrassing and shocking. Is this the Shadow Home Secretary who’s going to lead the challenge to Theresa May’s record? She should have stood down immediately and if not the great leader should have forced her hand, no matter past rendezvous in the sack. Of course it didn’t happen and Labour under Jeremy Corbyn has no hope in this election. What a shame it all is because there are loads of issues that they should be taking the government to task on. Just look at that bumbling Tommy Cooper impersonator of a Foreign Secretary, a million miles removed from a serious statesman: Mr Retraction — an embarrassment to the nation.

I’m voting Labour in the coming election, but not for Jeremy, more for the thought of the millions of people who are going to suffer under the coming five years of Tory rule: the working men and women who haven’t seen their wages rise, in real terms, for the last thirty years, while the fat cats, sharks and speculators are minted; the students starting out life saddled with debt; the millions who’ll never be able to afford a home; and in honour of the National Health Service, soon to be dismantled further, but remaining the brightest light in the nation’s modern history. What a rotten, unfair and unbalanced society we’ve become.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:21 - Jun 7 with 1494 viewsFDC

It's surely no coincidence that May has held private meetings with Dacre, they've dropped the Leverson inquiry, and now these kinds of front pages.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 13:23]
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:23 - Jun 7 with 1489 viewsstevec

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:08 - Jun 7 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Proudly plagiarized

Let's say a Labour Party leader had been at the heart of government for seven years and overseen massive cuts to the police force, despite countless warnings that they were neglecting their primary duty to protect public safety.

And then just days before a general election a terrorist atrocity is carried out by an Islamist fanatic who was so well know they'd even been featured in a bloody TV programme called "The Jihadis Next Door".

Do you think the S*n, Daily Mail and Express would do absolutely nothing to hold this Labour leader to account for their shockingly lax attitude towards public safety, and instead concentrate all of their efforts on smearing the Conservative opposition leader as a last ditch propaganda effort to keep the negligent Labour leader in power?

Of course they wouldn't. They'd be (rightly) calling for the negligent leader to resign on their front pages.

The fact that they're not lifting a finger to hold Theresa May to account is absolute proof that they think she is totally beyond accountability, in the same way they think they're above accountability too when they do stuff like hack into the mobile phone of a murdered teenage girl and give the parents false hope that she's still alive (Theresa May's manifesto includes a promise to throw the Leveson Report into press corruption in the bin).

It's a shame on our nation that so many people still read these despicable propaganda rag

You'll be surprised by this but not only do I read them I move my lips at the same time.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:27 - Jun 7 with 1466 views2Thomas2Bowles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:16 - Jun 7 by QPR_Jim

I agree with you about 95% of politicians, although I would say that "duplicitous, self serving, greedy dipsticks" is being too polite. I also agree that it's the same both sides, all parties etc. But I find this makes me more determined to have them held to account, to cut through their BS and try to find someone worthy of being in office.

To that end, that's why I will vote Labour, mainly because my local reasons such as the candidate and because our local Tory council has decided to cut pre-schools for 3-4 year olds to fund a festival that they hope will attract tourism and be a benefit for local businesses. Why the feck those benefiting from it aren't paying for it is beyond me but tomorrow is a chance to send them a message.

But when you look at Corbyn and how a brief period of forced impartiality from the media due to the election campaign has coincided with his surge in the polls, it shows how we are not allowed impartiality most of the time. Now they've come out to attack him again today knowing the damage will be done and votes lost for Labour tomorrow with a fine and little else action coming later. Whether you're voting Labour tomorrow or not I think you should be concerned about how much influence the likes of Murdock have still over our democracy. It relates to why Abbot is mocked while Boris is referred to warmly as bumbling, it's not about race to me more political bias.

Well said

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:29 - Jun 7 with 1453 viewsFredManRave

I'm sure Diane Abbott will be good on I'm A Celebrity...

When she gets better of course...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:30 - Jun 7 with 1452 views2Thomas2Bowles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:23 - Jun 7 by stevec

You'll be surprised by this but not only do I read them I move my lips at the same time.

No surprise at all I've seen your photo

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:30 - Jun 7 with 1451 viewsCroydonCaptJack

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:21 - Jun 7 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Yeah because you are devoid of anything to debate about

I've yet to see a post on here that gives reason to vote tory outside attacking labour in the same way the tory press is. apart from the true tory who wanted more cuts and did not give a feck about anyone else

Go back to reading the Sun
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 13:22]

I don't read the Sun.

Why would I need to when I can read your wonderful posts.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:32 - Jun 7 with 1445 viewsBucksRanger

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:12 - Jun 7 by CroydonCaptJack

You are wasting your time arguing with him mate.

I know I am Jack but sometimes you just have to point out the crap that is posted here.

Anyway, it's just my bigger amygdala vs. his larger anterior cingulate. The design of our brains has more to do with the way we vote than our upbringing... unless, of course, our upbringing impacted upon the design of our brains.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/dec/28/political-allegiances-brain-str
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:37 - Jun 7 with 1422 viewsJamesB1979

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:16 - Jun 7 by QPR_Jim

I agree with you about 95% of politicians, although I would say that "duplicitous, self serving, greedy dipsticks" is being too polite. I also agree that it's the same both sides, all parties etc. But I find this makes me more determined to have them held to account, to cut through their BS and try to find someone worthy of being in office.

To that end, that's why I will vote Labour, mainly because my local reasons such as the candidate and because our local Tory council has decided to cut pre-schools for 3-4 year olds to fund a festival that they hope will attract tourism and be a benefit for local businesses. Why the feck those benefiting from it aren't paying for it is beyond me but tomorrow is a chance to send them a message.

But when you look at Corbyn and how a brief period of forced impartiality from the media due to the election campaign has coincided with his surge in the polls, it shows how we are not allowed impartiality most of the time. Now they've come out to attack him again today knowing the damage will be done and votes lost for Labour tomorrow with a fine and little else action coming later. Whether you're voting Labour tomorrow or not I think you should be concerned about how much influence the likes of Murdock have still over our democracy. It relates to why Abbot is mocked while Boris is referred to warmly as bumbling, it's not about race to me more political bias.

Fair points made here Jim. I think the press should be allowed to express an opinion, it's just that Mail, Sun, Express outweigh the Mirror. I do think the broadsheets do tend to be more balanced.

I was originally going to vote Lib Dem but have tactically changed my mind in last 2 weeks. Main reason being the corporation tax hike combined with removal of zero hours contracts and increase in minimum wage. The latter 1 is a good aim and we should try to increase this minimum wage over time. However, to me these 3 together will hit small businesses and low paid workers the most. With increased tax and cost caused by these policies, what will small businesses (and large ones for that matter) do? Take the hit? Decrease more well paid staff? Or reduce number of lower paid staff? I think they will take option 3. That's why I've decided to vote Tory tomorrow. I don't like May, I"m pro EU, I want income tax rate increased for all (LIb Dem policy) to fund public services but in my constituency Lib Dem is a wasted vote.
Login to get fewer ads

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:37 - Jun 7 with 1416 viewsstowmarketrange

What a surprise.The rich and powerful twisting the truth to ensure that nothing changes and they continue to get richer and more powerful.
The sad thing for me is that ordinary working people struggling to survive believe those lies and keep voting for more of the same.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:42 - Jun 7 with 1399 viewspaulparker

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:30 - Jun 7 by CroydonCaptJack

I don't read the Sun.

This used to be a very good MB but its turned to the drizzling sh1ts now , all you need to do is read is the drivel on this thread to confirm it , labour, labour, labour , blah , blah blah ,
may incompetent blah blah , blah , sun reading tories, blah, blah blah , people to stupid to vote if they don't vote corbyn, and on and on and on it goes
the best one ive heard is that Dianne abbot is a brilliant MP & that the racists have forced her out , priceless , only on left for words ,

it was fun once

media4.giphy.com/media/yidUzBXdCA3gJlaow0/giphy.gif

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:46 - Jun 7 with 1382 views2Thomas2Bowles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:30 - Jun 7 by CroydonCaptJack

I don't read the Sun.

Well lets face it mate, you couldn't post anything of interest to warrant reading

Look forward to you proving me wrong with you listing all the positive reasons for voting tory without tory headlines attacking Labour

Maybe start with their manifesto should not take more than 20 seconds

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:47 - Jun 7 with 1376 viewsJamesB1979

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:46 - Jun 7 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Well lets face it mate, you couldn't post anything of interest to warrant reading

Look forward to you proving me wrong with you listing all the positive reasons for voting tory without tory headlines attacking Labour

Care to respond to my corporation tax point?
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:48 - Jun 7 with 1366 viewsNorthernr

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:02 - Jun 7 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Stupid in regards those that don't vote or can't see beyond the headlines of a tory press.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 13:04]

No branding somebody who simply doesn't agree with you politically illiterate and urging them not to vote. OOO. You're a bit rabid on this thread TBH and you should wind it in a bit.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:53 - Jun 7 with 1343 views2Thomas2Bowles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:48 - Jun 7 by Northernr

No branding somebody who simply doesn't agree with you politically illiterate and urging them not to vote. OOO. You're a bit rabid on this thread TBH and you should wind it in a bit.

Tory censorship!!

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:55 - Jun 7 with 1329 viewsCroydonCaptJack

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:46 - Jun 7 by 2Thomas2Bowles

You know nothing about me yet I notice you get very personal and aggressive when people don't agree with you.

It's really not a nice trait you know.

You make lots of sweeping generalisations as well.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:03 - Jun 7 with 1303 views2Thomas2Bowles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:55 - Jun 7 by CroydonCaptJack

You know nothing about me yet I notice you get very personal and aggressive when people don't agree with you.

It's really not a nice trait you know.

You make lots of sweeping generalisations as well.

Have you started on that post yet
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 14:03]

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:03 - Jun 7 with 1302 viewsCroydonCaptJack

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:42 - Jun 7 by paulparker

This used to be a very good MB but its turned to the drizzling sh1ts now , all you need to do is read is the drivel on this thread to confirm it , labour, labour, labour , blah , blah blah ,
may incompetent blah blah , blah , sun reading tories, blah, blah blah , people to stupid to vote if they don't vote corbyn, and on and on and on it goes
the best one ive heard is that Dianne abbot is a brilliant MP & that the racists have forced her out , priceless , only on left for words ,

it was fun once

media4.giphy.com/media/yidUzBXdCA3gJlaow0/giphy.gif

I still think it's a great forum (although I miss Disco!) but this thread is a bit relentless I agree.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:07 - Jun 7 with 1285 viewsCroydonCaptJack

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:03 - Jun 7 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Have you started on that post yet
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 14:03]

What post is that?

Were you running out of fuel and wanting to bore us all some more?
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:10 - Jun 7 with 1276 viewsPhildo

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:03 - Jun 7 by CroydonCaptJack

I still think it's a great forum (although I miss Disco!) but this thread is a bit relentless I agree.

I blame Hubble for starting it.....

If only there was one thing that united us. Something we all agreed on and could get behind. And don't say QPR because that would leave Konk out.

Anything else we all agree on?
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:12 - Jun 7 with 1270 viewsstowmarketrange

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:10 - Jun 7 by Phildo

If only there was one thing that united us. Something we all agreed on and could get behind. And don't say QPR because that would leave Konk out.

John teary is a c@nt.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:12 - Jun 7 with 1270 viewsJamesB1979

Hating John Terry
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:13 - Jun 7 with 1264 viewsstowmarketrange

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:12 - Jun 7 by JamesB1979

Hating John Terry

I bet he is a Tory though.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:14 - Jun 7 with 1263 viewsCroydonCaptJack

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:10 - Jun 7 by Phildo

Ironically, I know Hubble and he's a great bloke.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:15 - Jun 7 with 1260 viewsJamesB1979

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:13 - Jun 7 by stowmarketrange

I bet he is a Tory though.

I bet he supports Labour
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:17 - Jun 7 with 1250 viewsstowmarketrange

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:15 - Jun 7 by JamesB1979

I bet he supports Labour

I bet he supports himself.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024