Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Open Al R's tonight 09:16 - Nov 6 with 12073 viewsfinney

we will have a member of the coaching set up on tonight any questions?
Open Al R's tonight on 19:53 - Nov 6 with 1804 viewsdanehoop

Open Al R's tonight on 18:10 - Nov 6 by Grifter

Why haven't we tried or seemingly even considered 4231?
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

What role is SWP being coached to fill?

In what way are the younger players like Harriman and Ehmer involved in coaching and training sessions? Should we not be looking at bringing them into the team to fill in the positions where they are able to play rather than asking other senior players to come in out of position?

What is the reason for the apparent gap in the defensive and midfield coaching arrangements which makes it appear as if they are not being worked together as a defensive unit?

Never knowingly understood

Open Al R's tonight on 19:53 - Nov 6 with 1802 viewsdaveB

why do we keep saying the tea hasn't had time to gel when of the side that started on sunday only granero and cesar were signed at the end of the window
Open Al R's tonight on 19:59 - Nov 6 with 1800 viewscollegeranger

Is Granero the main set piece delivery person? Adel wanted to take the 3rd free kick outside the box and was waved away by Granero who promptly put that effort over the bar?
Open Al R's tonight on 20:14 - Nov 6 with 1783 viewsRed_Ranger

What time and how best to listen.?
Anyone?
Thanks for any help.
Open Al R's tonight on 20:14 - Nov 6 with 1783 viewskropotkin41

Is there a link to the podcast? I am ashamed to say that I have never listened to it.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Open Al R's tonight on 20:26 - Nov 6 with 1769 viewsdaveB

it will be on itunes
Open Al R's tonight on 20:33 - Nov 6 with 1764 viewskropotkin41

Open Al R's tonight on 20:26 - Nov 6 by daveB

it will be on itunes

There are issues with itunes.......... downloading here in France it's the French itunes. No choice.

Anywhere else?

Open Al R's tonight on 20:41 - Nov 6 with 1752 viewsdaveB

http://playbackmedia.co.uk/open-all-rs-archive/
Login to get fewer ads

Open Al R's tonight on 22:50 - Nov 6 with 1703 viewsMatch82

Open Al R's tonight on 19:59 - Nov 6 by collegeranger

Is Granero the main set piece delivery person? Adel wanted to take the 3rd free kick outside the box and was waved away by Granero who promptly put that effort over the bar?

Apologies, off topic, but I personally feel that Granero's set piece delivery has been excellent overall this year. It's the first time since Shittu was here that I actually have confidence we'll score from balls into the box (and that was for very different reasons).
Open Al R's tonight on 22:54 - Nov 6 with 1696 viewsTacticalR

Open Al R's tonight on 22:50 - Nov 6 by Match82

Apologies, off topic, but I personally feel that Granero's set piece delivery has been excellent overall this year. It's the first time since Shittu was here that I actually have confidence we'll score from balls into the box (and that was for very different reasons).

As I said in the post-match comments, at least we now have a decent free kick taker. The only problem was that Granero was trying try to score directly from free kicks at every opportunity, even when a cross from a free kick would have been the better option.

Air hostess clique

Open Al R's tonight on 23:22 - Nov 6 with 1665 viewsdaveB

it's a very interesting listen, Bowen came across quite well but i thought the 5 minute talk about how great they've done everywhere else was a bit cringeworthy
Open Al R's tonight on 00:10 - Nov 7 with 1633 viewsNorthernr

It was very interesting, he came across very well, imagine all that effort they go to with interviews on the official website and you can get x1000 better PR by putting somebody up for something like that.

However...
1 - I lost count of the amount of times he said, in not so many words, "we don't understand..."
2 - He said "Want them to be a bit angrier with each other." Which I took as either the players are not bothered or not aware of how serious this situation is.
3 - "searching for a formula to get us up and running... trying certain things" - no real idea what they're going to do, other than thrash around and hope to stumble across something.
4 - "these players are going to set the league on fire, I'm convinced of it" - keep trying the same things, hope for different results.

I really liked him, came across as a proper football bloke and somebody desperate to do well for us. But he didn't reassure me much.
Open Al R's tonight on 00:30 - Nov 7 with 1619 viewsbrewers_hoop

Open Al R's tonight on 00:10 - Nov 7 by Northernr

It was very interesting, he came across very well, imagine all that effort they go to with interviews on the official website and you can get x1000 better PR by putting somebody up for something like that.

However...
1 - I lost count of the amount of times he said, in not so many words, "we don't understand..."
2 - He said "Want them to be a bit angrier with each other." Which I took as either the players are not bothered or not aware of how serious this situation is.
3 - "searching for a formula to get us up and running... trying certain things" - no real idea what they're going to do, other than thrash around and hope to stumble across something.
4 - "these players are going to set the league on fire, I'm convinced of it" - keep trying the same things, hope for different results.

I really liked him, came across as a proper football bloke and somebody desperate to do well for us. But he didn't reassure me much.

Clive, as a podcast regular you know guests swing wildly between monosyllabic and verbose and our man was definitely in the latter category!

From the outset he seemed nervous and as a human being I was desperately looking for something to lighten the mood but he answered every question (at great length) that was put to him - even offeriing up his opinion on Redknapp when his name had not been mentioned.

Very worrying that they seem to have run out of ideas - he sounded like a man on borrowed time - but he was so nice I'm even more desperate for things to work out for the current regime!

Agree you'd never get that sort of insight from the official channels but the only regret is he went into so much detail we never had the chance to ask as many questions from LFW/Podcast readers/listeners that we'd have liked.
Open Al R's tonight on 00:52 - Nov 7 with 1603 viewsMatch82

Open Al R's tonight on 00:30 - Nov 7 by brewers_hoop

Clive, as a podcast regular you know guests swing wildly between monosyllabic and verbose and our man was definitely in the latter category!

From the outset he seemed nervous and as a human being I was desperately looking for something to lighten the mood but he answered every question (at great length) that was put to him - even offeriing up his opinion on Redknapp when his name had not been mentioned.

Very worrying that they seem to have run out of ideas - he sounded like a man on borrowed time - but he was so nice I'm even more desperate for things to work out for the current regime!

Agree you'd never get that sort of insight from the official channels but the only regret is he went into so much detail we never had the chance to ask as many questions from LFW/Podcast readers/listeners that we'd have liked.

I thought the Redknapp piece was quite telling, regardless of how Hughes has said "I don't lose sleep" over speculation, they're clearly aware of the vulture circling overhead.
Open Al R's tonight on 00:55 - Nov 7 with 1600 viewsNeil_SI

First of all, I enjoyed that podcast. I'm really pleased the club allowed Mark Bowen to go on there and speak candidly about their experiences and the situation to date.

I appreciated Bowen's honesty and liked his passion, he comes across as a genuine football man. But some of the things he said concerned me — for me, he painted a worrying picture of what is happening behind the scenes, the methodology employed and the culture of that environment right now.

It seems like much of their approach is quite reactive rather than pro-active. Some of it sounded dated, and almost as if they are stuck in their ways and unable to adapt while the game modernises and changes around them.

The revelation that they've not really worked on defensive set plays for the best part of twelve years points to this, and all the more eye-opening that they've panicked and gone from one extreme to the next by suddenly working three to four days in a row on defensive set plays ahead of recent matches.

They obviously bank on the defenders being available on the training pitch throughout the week, as this is where their focus lies. That's all well and good, but it also points to a selection issue and neglect for fringe players or the "bomb" squad as they're known in the trade.

I look at our twenty-five man squad and I see a lot of players in there that appear to be alienated and cast aside. They are only going to be called upon in a crisis, and whatever they do in training is not likely going to win them a place in that first eleven, especially if those key players are being selected for "shadow" training throughout the week. If the first eleven roughly know who they are, is that healthy for competition for places?

The worry I have here is that this approach causes problems and a divide between the squad and a lack of competitive edge for those who are in the first team. Sir Alex Ferguson has never been scared to drop big name players if they are not pulling their weight, including infamously leaving David Beckham out of a top of the table clash with Leeds United, because he hadn't trained. A player needs to know his position is under threat at all times. Do ours? In Hughes' defence, he did drop Joey Barton last season just at the right time, albeit, the jeers from the crowd when we played Liverpool made it a much easier and less tricky decision for him at the time.

Repetitive training or shadow training is a decent approach though, albeit, you often find this is more successful when performed on counter attacking drills. That's where Luigi De Canio was just so good and what made us electrifying throughout his reign.

I also sensed a lot of blame culture there aimed at the players themselves and a lack of due diligence done on players they've acquired and a surprise at some of their obvious traits and habits. There's not much they can do if Samba Diakité acknowledges them after a yellow card and then goes and gets sent off, but they shouldn't be surprised or have to ask the question of whether they might have to substitute him every time he picks up a caution, because his disciplinary record prior to joining was obviously already so poor.

You can feel the staff's frustration with the players, but also indicators that there isn't a strong enough relationship between Hughes and them directly. Rather it's probably between Bowen and Eddie Niedzwiecki. That's not too uncommon, but the balance struck when doing that has to be absolutely spot on. Too distant and you're quickly out of sight and out of mind, so that presence you try to create doing that gets lost.

I thought Bowen's comments about Harry Redknapp were slightly below the belt, but I'm going to let him off and put that down to showing a bit of fire in the belly and an impassioned plea for more time and that he cares about the job.

I accept the comments about Hughes probably not knowing what his best eleven is, because I can't work out what they should be either and I would most certainly have thoughts about certain players for certain types of matches. But I think we're a very long way from being in the type of form that allows you to do that, so they should have arrived at that point by now and obviously had a clue what it would be when they signed all of these players in the first place.
Open Al R's tonight on 08:52 - Nov 7 with 1514 viewsJonDoeman

" so they should have arrived at that point by now and obviously had a clue what it would be when they signed all of these players in the first place. "

It Is What It Is !!

Open Al R's tonight on 08:55 - Nov 7 with 1509 viewsparker64

I haven't listened it but PB kept going on about doing due dilligence on players prior to signing. Seems they got a lot wrong in some of their signings in terms of their mental character as opposed to their playing ability.
Open Al R's tonight on 08:59 - Nov 7 with 1503 viewskropotkin41

Very good podcast.............. we're going to get relegated. :(

Open Al R's tonight on 09:01 - Nov 7 with 1499 viewsRedbourneR

After reading the above, Hughes out, Neil for manager.
Open Al R's tonight on 09:07 - Nov 7 with 1489 viewsPhildo

Just listened to it for the second time - fair play of the club for putting him up but the bloke sounds despairing. I have come away feeling sorry for the bloke but without the confidence they are going to turn it - and maybe between the lines there is a bit of a disconnect between coaches and players?
Open Al R's tonight on 09:13 - Nov 7 with 1477 viewskropotkin41

I do so hope that we turn the corner, but I have a horrible feeling that nothing is going right and that we're going to sink without trace.

Open Al R's tonight on 09:26 - Nov 7 with 1457 viewsTGRRRSSS

Got somewhat tetchy it would seem on the Harry Redknapp question, way to point out something that happened years ago rather than the position he took Spurs from in a similar postion to ourselves.
Not calling for it either way, but certainly tetchy.
Open Al R's tonight on 09:33 - Nov 7 with 1445 viewsimustbemad

Fair play and all that for coming on but he seemed pretty desperate to me. We are were we are because of the QPR policy over the last few years to buy so many players. No forward planning. No joined up thinking. The desperation is palpable especially because I believe that if we can stumble our way through the season without getting relegated then the player recruitment madness will stop and the master plan will begin to take shape. I hope so anyway.
Open Al R's tonight on 09:38 - Nov 7 with 1438 viewsJamie

Open Al R's tonight on 09:26 - Nov 7 by TGRRRSSS

Got somewhat tetchy it would seem on the Harry Redknapp question, way to point out something that happened years ago rather than the position he took Spurs from in a similar postion to ourselves.
Not calling for it either way, but certainly tetchy.

That Spurs squad had £70m of talent bought in August, and another £45m in January. Paul Hart could've got them up the table.

Saints is a very valid comparison and he failed spectacularly with 1 win in his first 12 games.
Open Al R's tonight on 10:52 - Nov 7 with 1387 viewsdaveB

Open Al R's tonight on 09:38 - Nov 7 by Jamie

That Spurs squad had £70m of talent bought in August, and another £45m in January. Paul Hart could've got them up the table.

Saints is a very valid comparison and he failed spectacularly with 1 win in his first 12 games.

that was almost 10 years ago now though and since then he did a very good rescue job at Portsmouth and Spurs. Big money was spent at Spurs but big money has been spent here as well without the results to follow.It was more than a little pathetic of Bowen to dig out Redknapp.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024