Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Pitch 10:44 - Feb 5 with 35310 viewsdawlishdale

I know there are plenty of comments about the pitch, but I think it needs it's own thread.

I'm frankly appalled at how quickly the pitch has gone from being perfectly good to being not fit for purpose.

Yesterday, after arriving at my dad's following a 6 hour journey, he said that he'd like to come to the game with me. He used to assist the groundsmen at both cricket & bowls locally, so he's not a complete novice in pitch maintenance matters.

His immediate comment on entering the ground and seeing the state of the pitch was "it's been laid wrong". On questioning him, he was adamant that from what little he could see the roots of the grass were suffering, there was far too much sand within it's structure and more worryingly, it looks like there are once again big problems with the drainage.

His conclusion was that "it'll have to come up and be re done as soon as possible"

In addition, he didn't think that playing Rugby on it was making it any worse.

I think it's time that the club actually made an official comment about the pitch, as we seem to spend a huge sum of money on it each season, but it hasn't been good enough this year. Have we done anything different to previous years that would contribute to it's poor condition?

What worries me, is that the weather has so far been kind to us, both in terms of temperature and rainfall, so how much worse would it be in a bad spell?

The Pitch on 19:10 - Feb 14 with 2439 viewselectricblue

Newly laid turf no matter if its a garden or a football pitch takes ages for it to settle and bed it...
Also its not the time of year for grass to start growing aswell..
I can see that turf getting ripped to shreads in the few weeks plus take into account the possible injuries that may occur when a player turns and the turf moves under foot.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

The Pitch on 19:30 - Feb 14 with 2400 viewsDale23years

The Pitch on 19:10 - Feb 14 by electricblue

Newly laid turf no matter if its a garden or a football pitch takes ages for it to settle and bed it...
Also its not the time of year for grass to start growing aswell..
I can see that turf getting ripped to shreads in the few weeks plus take into account the possible injuries that may occur when a player turns and the turf moves under foot.....

Funny how people have come experts on grass all of a sudden

Poll: Renewing your season ticket

The Pitch on 19:34 - Feb 14 with 2377 viewsnordenblue

The Pitch on 19:30 - Feb 14 by Dale23years

Funny how people have come experts on grass all of a sudden

Not really experts,though most of its common sense tbf......
The Pitch on 19:46 - Feb 14 with 2341 viewsDale23years

The Pitch on 19:34 - Feb 14 by nordenblue

Not really experts,though most of its common sense tbf......

Common sense ???

Common sense is to listen to the premier pitches who have laid pitches all over Europe, if they've guaranteed it ready for Saturday it doesn't matter what the forum grass experts think.

The Pitch on 20:12 - Feb 14 with 2281 viewsnordenblue

The Pitch on 19:46 - Feb 14 by Dale23years

Common sense ???

Common sense is to listen to the premier pitches who have laid pitches all over Europe, if they've guaranteed it ready for Saturday it doesn't matter what the forum grass experts think.

Yes, it may be a new concept to you granted,but it is common sense for anyone who has ever laid turf to question it taking properly in less than a week....it's far from ideal and generally the reason teams do it during the close season whilst using a much bigger window to play with not to mention the weather
The Pitch on 20:20 - Feb 14 with 6561 viewsDale23years

The Pitch on 20:12 - Feb 14 by nordenblue

Yes, it may be a new concept to you granted,but it is common sense for anyone who has ever laid turf to question it taking properly in less than a week....it's far from ideal and generally the reason teams do it during the close season whilst using a much bigger window to play with not to mention the weather

Bolton last season ????
Wembley done it a few times in last couple of year

do you really think they using the same turf as you use in your garden

The Pitch on 20:23 - Feb 14 with 6543 viewsDaleiLama

The Pitch on 20:12 - Feb 14 by nordenblue

Tbf, they seem to giving it a leg up with the lamps, which no doubt generate heat as well as boosting leaf growth. Bottom line is experts concluded doing summat is better than doing nowt. That'll do for me.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

The Pitch on 20:35 - Feb 14 with 6496 viewsnordenblue

The Pitch on 20:20 - Feb 14 by Dale23years

Bolton last season ????
Wembley done it a few times in last couple of year

do you really think they using the same turf as you use in your garden

Really,because everyone has said and assumed they will be using B&Q's finest...... you've mentioned 2 examples of mid season pitch re laying do you think that's slightly out balanced by the end of season,I wonder why that is?

I'd hazard a guess if you asked the contractors when's the best time to do the work I'd put a bit of money on it not being the start of Feb in between home fixtures,hence my point it's not ideal......
Login to get fewer ads

The Pitch on 20:37 - Feb 14 with 6478 viewsnordenblue

The Pitch on 20:23 - Feb 14 by DaleiLama

Tbf, they seem to giving it a leg up with the lamps, which no doubt generate heat as well as boosting leaf growth. Bottom line is experts concluded doing summat is better than doing nowt. That'll do for me.

I totally agree with you,the point I was and still make is its far from ideal doing the work now and people are right to question the timescales involved.
The Pitch on 20:51 - Feb 14 with 6428 viewsDale23years

The Pitch on 20:35 - Feb 14 by nordenblue

Really,because everyone has said and assumed they will be using B&Q's finest...... you've mentioned 2 examples of mid season pitch re laying do you think that's slightly out balanced by the end of season,I wonder why that is?

I'd hazard a guess if you asked the contractors when's the best time to do the work I'd put a bit of money on it not being the start of Feb in between home fixtures,hence my point it's not ideal......

But if the pitch wasn't gonna be 100% ready for Saturday do you think the club would risk IT doesn't mater if it's February or August.

The Pitch on 20:58 - Feb 14 with 6405 viewsnordenblue

The Pitch on 20:51 - Feb 14 by Dale23years

But if the pitch wasn't gonna be 100% ready for Saturday do you think the club would risk IT doesn't mater if it's February or August.

If it's an improvement of any kind then why wouldn't they?
You'll find it does matter,do a bit of research on grass growth to start with...
The Pitch on 21:00 - Feb 14 with 6389 viewsrochedale

The Pitch on 20:51 - Feb 14 by Dale23years

It's probably a lesser of 2 evils. You would have to guess there is going to be a chance of turf lifting, will that be any better or worse than playing on the previous surface? You'd have to reckon the powers that be feel it'll be better.

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

The Pitch on 21:14 - Feb 14 with 6341 viewsDale23years

The Pitch on 20:58 - Feb 14 by nordenblue

If it's an improvement of any kind then why wouldn't they?
You'll find it does matter,do a bit of research on grass growth to start with...

Doesn't matter to the club I mean if it August or February they took the right actions with expert advice doesn't matter what part time gardener think,even through they think they know everything about grass.

The Pitch on 21:19 - Feb 14 with 6320 viewsnordenblue

The Pitch on 21:14 - Feb 14 by Dale23years

Doesn't matter to the club I mean if it August or February they took the right actions with expert advice doesn't matter what part time gardener think,even through they think they know everything about grass.

I'll try again.... you don't need to be an expert to realise it's not ideal for grass to only have a week to properly take,it's that simple.... the club felt it was a better option to take due to the current condition of the pitch
The Pitch on 21:20 - Feb 14 with 6312 viewssince58

The Pitch on 21:14 - Feb 14 by Dale23years

they took it in july from the experts . it didn't fookin work did it.?
The Pitch on 21:30 - Feb 14 with 6250 viewsDale23years

The Pitch on 21:19 - Feb 14 by nordenblue

I'll try again.... you don't need to be an expert to realise it's not ideal for grass to only have a week to properly take,it's that simple.... the club felt it was a better option to take due to the current condition of the pitch

We're have I said its ideal I was replying to people who think the pitch is gonna cut up , it could cause injury to players , not gonna bed in time. Well will see Saturday if these forum experts are right.

The Pitch on 21:33 - Feb 14 with 6232 viewsnordenblue

The Pitch on 21:30 - Feb 14 by Dale23years

We're have I said its ideal I was replying to people who think the pitch is gonna cut up , it could cause injury to players , not gonna bed in time. Well will see Saturday if these forum experts are right.

A shit uneven pitch injures players too...
The Pitch on 23:38 - Feb 14 with 6027 viewsdingdangblue

The Pitch on 21:30 - Feb 14 by Dale23years

If the ref isn't happy with the surface on Saturday he'd be within his rights to call it off - same as waterlogged or frozen pitch - if turf is moving about it could be deemed unsafe.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

The Pitch on 02:11 - Feb 15 with 5947 viewsmacro

The Pitch on 23:38 - Feb 14 by dingdangblue

If the ref isn't happy with the surface on Saturday he'd be within his rights to call it off - same as waterlogged or frozen pitch - if turf is moving about it could be deemed unsafe.

All these pitches relaid in the middle of the season are basically knitted together, there’s no way it’ll be moving about. Wigan, Hampden Park, Brentford and Chelsea have all relaid pitches successfully in recent years mid season and Hearts are just about have their done. Although the less said about the amount of times the Wembley pitch was relaid the better.
The Pitch on 10:24 - Feb 15 with 5752 viewsNR_Dale

Someone at the game last night mentioned if you go on contractors website and look at the price of a new fully laid pitch it's 150k
The Pitch on 11:08 - Feb 15 with 5690 viewsBigDaveMyCock

The Pitch on 21:19 - Feb 14 by nordenblue

This is ace. You're like Percy Thrower with a temper.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

The Pitch on 11:11 - Feb 15 with 5684 viewsSuddenLad

The Pitch on 11:08 - Feb 15 by BigDaveMyCock

This is ace. You're like Percy Thrower with a temper.

Percy Thrower-Fitt ?

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

The Pitch on 11:21 - Feb 15 with 5661 viewsBigDaveMyCock

The Pitch on 11:11 - Feb 15 by SuddenLad

Percy Thrower-Fitt ?

Monty The Don.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

The Pitch on 11:46 - Feb 15 with 5621 viewsdeeplishblue

The Pitch on 11:21 - Feb 15 by BigDaveMyCock

Monty The Don.

Alan Bitch-Harsh

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

The Pitch on 14:44 - Feb 15 with 5395 viewsYorkshire_Dale

The Pitch on 23:38 - Feb 14 by dingdangblue

12 o'clock Pitch Inspection then?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024