Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Pitch 10:44 - Feb 5 with 35307 viewsdawlishdale

I know there are plenty of comments about the pitch, but I think it needs it's own thread.

I'm frankly appalled at how quickly the pitch has gone from being perfectly good to being not fit for purpose.

Yesterday, after arriving at my dad's following a 6 hour journey, he said that he'd like to come to the game with me. He used to assist the groundsmen at both cricket & bowls locally, so he's not a complete novice in pitch maintenance matters.

His immediate comment on entering the ground and seeing the state of the pitch was "it's been laid wrong". On questioning him, he was adamant that from what little he could see the roots of the grass were suffering, there was far too much sand within it's structure and more worryingly, it looks like there are once again big problems with the drainage.

His conclusion was that "it'll have to come up and be re done as soon as possible"

In addition, he didn't think that playing Rugby on it was making it any worse.

I think it's time that the club actually made an official comment about the pitch, as we seem to spend a huge sum of money on it each season, but it hasn't been good enough this year. Have we done anything different to previous years that would contribute to it's poor condition?

What worries me, is that the weather has so far been kind to us, both in terms of temperature and rainfall, so how much worse would it be in a bad spell?

The Pitch on 16:55 - Feb 15 with 6128 viewsColDale

They've put some hours in on this pitch. Even coming back last night (after the wonderful Motorway works), the floodlights were still on.
The Pitch on 17:41 - Feb 15 with 6053 viewsD_Alien

The Pitch on 16:55 - Feb 15 by ColDale

They've put some hours in on this pitch. Even coming back last night (after the wonderful Motorway works), the floodlights were still on.

And the lekky bill must be going through the roof as well as the cost of the relaying

Temperatures have risen and are set to stay above or around growing point for the rest of the week, plus the rain should help the turf knit together* so fingers crossed that the outlay will be effective and might be partially recouped if less remedial work is required during the summer

* disclaimer - i'm not even an amateur gardener

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

The Pitch on 18:10 - Feb 15 with 6005 viewsDaleiLama

The Pitch on 16:55 - Feb 15 by ColDale

Reliably informed there should be no problem laying a new pitch at the Ground. Force yourself to have faith. Time for any concerns to be nipped in the bud?

[Post edited 15 Feb 2017 18:14]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

The Pitch on 18:23 - Feb 15 with 5982 viewsD_Alien

The Pitch on 18:10 - Feb 15 by DaleiLama

Reliably informed there should be no problem laying a new pitch at the Ground. Force yourself to have faith. Time for any concerns to be nipped in the bud?

[Post edited 15 Feb 2017 18:14]

If the new pitch goes tits up, someone will look a right charlie

The Pitch on 20:57 - Feb 15 with 5807 viewsnordenblue

The Pitch on 18:23 - Feb 15 by D_Alien

You have pm...
The Pitch on 22:23 - Feb 15 with 5706 viewsmikehunt

Well, we have missed a trick when we dug the pitch up. viz. I have just had a gift from Barcelona. It is a small clear sphere, accompanied by a certificate, containing some genuine turf from the Camp Nou.
Why didn't our marketing bods think of something like that? :-)
PS I am willing to donate it to patch up any bare bits that may appear in the future.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

The Pitch on 09:58 - Feb 16 with 5496 viewsDaleiLama

The Pitch on 18:23 - Feb 15 by D_Alien

I trust the ground staff and the people team Rochdale brought in - they have the capability. Brown patches are a thing of the past.

The Pitch on 10:41 - Feb 16 with 5423 viewsD_Alien

The Pitch on 09:58 - Feb 16 by DaleiLama

I trust the ground staff and the people team Rochdale brought in - they have the capability. Brown patches are a thing of the past.

Utilised properly, charlie could make the pitch appear any colour you like

Login to get fewer ads

The Pitch on 11:10 - Feb 16 with 5372 viewsDaleiLama

The Pitch on 10:41 - Feb 16 by D_Alien

Utilised properly, charlie could make the pitch appear any colour you like

Not to be sniffed at.

The Pitch on 17:19 - Feb 25 with 4818 views442Dale

To continue the cheery theme of the day, it's been chucking it down for hours and Hornets are at home tomorrow.

Hope it dries up for a bit ahead of their game.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

The Pitch on 18:06 - Feb 27 with 4559 viewsdingdangblue

The Pitch on 17:19 - Feb 25 by 442Dale

To continue the cheery theme of the day, it's been chucking it down for hours and Hornets are at home tomorrow.

Hope it dries up for a bit ahead of their game.

Looked super before the game.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

The Pitch on 11:16 - Mar 10 with 4240 viewsDaleiLama

Don't know if I missed it, but did anyone see how much FC Rostov paid us for our old pitch?

The Pitch on 08:12 - Mar 11 with 3705 viewsRespectTheChemistry

The Pitch on 09:58 - Feb 16 by DaleiLama

Belated kudos points for squeezing Capability Brown in
The Pitch on 12:05 - Mar 11 with 3562 viewsD_Alien

The Pitch on 08:12 - Mar 11 by RespectTheChemistry

Belated kudos points for squeezing Capability Brown in

Bloody hell, I missed that!

Respect, Respect!

And Dalei too, of course

The Pitch on 18:40 - Mar 12 with 3328 viewsdingdangblue

What has happened? At least our old pitch was flat - this new one looks bumpy as anything. Looks no better than something on Firgrove.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

The Pitch on 21:23 - Mar 12 with 3164 viewsmingthemerciless

It played ok but there are some ominous looking dark stripes towards the centre of the pitch.
It looks like some of the turf strips may not be thriving.
The Pitch on 21:26 - Mar 12 with 3150 viewsTVOS1907

The Pitch on 18:40 - Mar 12 by dingdangblue

What has happened? At least our old pitch was flat - this new one looks bumpy as anything. Looks no better than something on Firgrove.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39245451

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

The Pitch on 21:38 - Mar 12 with 3116 views442Dale

The Pitch on 21:23 - Mar 12 by mingthemerciless

It played ok but there are some ominous looking dark stripes towards the centre of the pitch.
It looks like some of the turf strips may not be thriving.

Noticed that in the picture. Surely the company involved in supplying the pitch also have a process in place to deal with any problems that occur. Even if that means replacing areas that are causing concern.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

The Pitch on 21:49 - Mar 12 with 3087 viewsTVOS1907

The Pitch on 21:38 - Mar 12 by 442Dale

Noticed that in the picture. Surely the company involved in supplying the pitch also have a process in place to deal with any problems that occur. Even if that means replacing areas that are causing concern.

We should go to see them on Tuesday.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

The Pitch on 22:42 - Mar 12 with 3023 viewsdingdangblue

The Pitch on 21:26 - Mar 12 by TVOS1907

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39245451

Talk about a different level of standards now between the top flight and ours! Their 'dodgy' pitch looks like a carpet compared to ours!

[Post edited 12 Mar 2017 22:45]

The Pitch on 14:34 - Mar 13 with 4353 viewsDaleiLama

The Pitch on 12:05 - Mar 11 by D_Alien

Bloody hell, I missed that!

Respect, Respect!

And Dalei too, of course

What were you saying on the Sheffield thread about the Full Monty? Don't be misdirected by punctuation!

The Pitch on 05:49 - Mar 17 with 3978 viewsSandyman

Rain and more rain forecast for today and tomorrow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2639272?day=0
The Pitch on 09:17 - Mar 17 with 3849 viewsrochdaleriddler

The Pitch on 05:49 - Mar 17 by Sandyman

Rain and more rain forecast for today and tomorrow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2639272?day=0

They are going to only use half the sprinklers tomorrow

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

The Pitch on 22:50 - Mar 17 with 3535 viewsSandyman

Weather today must bring an early pitch inspection into the equation. Very rainy indeed, even by Rochdale standards.
The Pitch on 09:30 - Mar 18 with 3180 viewsjudd

The Pitch on 22:50 - Mar 17 by Sandyman

Weather today must bring an early pitch inspection into the equation. Very rainy indeed, even by Rochdale standards.

No planned inspection. They were working on it at 9 this morning. Looked dark in parts, couldn't tell if it was standing water patches or were it has cut up. Grass growing lights were in use near half way main stand side.

Poll: What is it to be then?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024