Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Pitch 10:44 - Feb 5 with 35305 viewsdawlishdale

I know there are plenty of comments about the pitch, but I think it needs it's own thread.

I'm frankly appalled at how quickly the pitch has gone from being perfectly good to being not fit for purpose.

Yesterday, after arriving at my dad's following a 6 hour journey, he said that he'd like to come to the game with me. He used to assist the groundsmen at both cricket & bowls locally, so he's not a complete novice in pitch maintenance matters.

His immediate comment on entering the ground and seeing the state of the pitch was "it's been laid wrong". On questioning him, he was adamant that from what little he could see the roots of the grass were suffering, there was far too much sand within it's structure and more worryingly, it looks like there are once again big problems with the drainage.

His conclusion was that "it'll have to come up and be re done as soon as possible"

In addition, he didn't think that playing Rugby on it was making it any worse.

I think it's time that the club actually made an official comment about the pitch, as we seem to spend a huge sum of money on it each season, but it hasn't been good enough this year. Have we done anything different to previous years that would contribute to it's poor condition?

What worries me, is that the weather has so far been kind to us, both in terms of temperature and rainfall, so how much worse would it be in a bad spell?

The Pitch on 09:38 - Mar 18 with 2100 viewsYouTubeDale

Thank you Judd, our action news reporter, oh...what's the latest on that streaker?

[Post edited 18 Mar 2017 9:41]

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

The Pitch on 09:46 - Mar 18 with 2068 viewsdingdangblue

BBC weather has it fine until 2 pm then raining. There's not a lot they can do now other than play and hope the pitch isn't too much of a mess afterwards. There isn't much scope for rearranging any more games in the weeks left of the season - we are virtually playing 2 games a week now till the end.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

The Pitch on 06:30 - Mar 19 with 1769 viewsRespectTheChemistry

I recall reading a comment that the pitch is not draining well due to a soil-based turf having been used. Presumably as opposed to a soil and sand based turf. Given the Rochdale weather, it seems surprising not to use the best-draining turf available.

It appears that due to the rain the pitch has had on it, the pitch is not knitting as well as it should and is cutting up badly in some areas. This begs some questions:

1. Is the new pitch any better than the one it replaced or has it been a waste of money?

2. Do questions need to be asked of the pitch supplier, given the foreseeability of the Rochdale weather, in terms of the viability of laying a new pitch in February and the type of turf used?
[Post edited 19 Mar 2017 6:31]
The Pitch on 08:59 - Mar 19 with 1618 viewsYouTubeDale

The Pitch on 06:30 - Mar 19 by RespectTheChemistry

I recall reading a comment that the pitch is not draining well due to a soil-based turf having been used. Presumably as opposed to a soil and sand based turf. Given the Rochdale weather, it seems surprising not to use the best-draining turf available.

It appears that due to the rain the pitch has had on it, the pitch is not knitting as well as it should and is cutting up badly in some areas. This begs some questions:

1. Is the new pitch any better than the one it replaced or has it been a waste of money?

2. Do questions need to be asked of the pitch supplier, given the foreseeability of the Rochdale weather, in terms of the viability of laying a new pitch in February and the type of turf used?

These are turf questions to answer. Russ has assured us that the life of this pitch is 18 months if I remember correctly. I wonder what sort of "guarantee" he obtained and whether that would include monetary compensation, relaying parts of the pitch, etc, etc

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

The Pitch on 09:53 - Mar 19 with 1519 viewsDaleiLama

Seem to remember somone saying the old pitch was dying and breaking up so this must be better and hopefully the warmer weather and longer days will help it? Only time will tell.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

The Pitch on 10:35 - Mar 19 with 1441 viewsD_Alien

I think the club had little option but to have the pitch relaid. By now, the old one might've become positively dangerous to play on

So it was never an ideal option and it would've been unlikely to produce a surface that proved to be the kind you'd expect if relaid in summer

I'd expect the company involved to have some kind of longer-term commitment which should see it improved during the close season

I've said elsewhere that currently it's probably no worse than we'd normally have at this time of year after heavy use
[Post edited 19 Mar 2017 10:40]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

The Pitch on 10:40 - Mar 19 with 1425 viewsRespectTheChemistry

Thanks for the replies.

I suppose it was a case of Hobson's Choice (given that the Club had the funds available) to relay the pitch as the old one was in such a poor state.

Hopefully, some drier weather along with follow-up work by the supplier will see an improvement to warrant the outlay. Just hope that comes before the end of the season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024