Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's "wrong" with Christianity? 20:17 - Aug 3 with 29916 viewsDavillin

What's "wrong" with Christianity?

N.B. In my opinion, it's not what's "wrong" with Christianity, but rather what's wrong with certain dismissive analyses of Christianity.

Everything that's "wrong" with Christianity is not about Christ and his teaching, but is about matters tangential to his teaching.

First and foremost, the Old Testament. Eliminate all of it and all of the hate-filled attacks on the thousands of sometimes imaginary and sometimes at least partly imaginary, and this would be a quieter place, and a quieter message board.

Second, eliminate all of the mythical elements like angels singing on high, and three wise men, and immaculate conception, and virgin birth, etc, etc, etc.

Third, eliminate all of the happy horsesh!t that goes on within the formalized churches -- especially the Catholic Church -- everything from fanciful non-Biblical embellishments and sometimes exceedingly silly rules and dogma, to long-past historical peccadilloes and worse, long-past political, economic, and military outrages.

Fourth, eliminate all of the excesses in wealth, ostentatious wealth, and pseudo regal trappings.

Fifth, do not be put off by Christ's speaking of Heaven and Hell, and the Father, but remember that these are images fully understood by his unsophisticated audience as images of one kind or another, and are not granite-hard reality.

Not one of the things I describe above has anything significant to do with either Christ or his teachings. When you ignore or eliminate all of those things, you will have the freedom to get to the heart of his teaching.

Although you can be richly rewarded by searching through the New Testament, reading all of the red typeface (which is a standard indication of the words of Christ), you really need go no further than the Sermon on the Mount, where, in essence, he gives an explication of The Ten Commandments, which alone give anyone who wants it a guide to a moral life.

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Matthew-5_7/

The "pixies and fairies" so beloved of those who wish to denigrate either the Bible, religion itself, or just Christianity, were put in there as a means of explaining astoundingly complex concepts to people who were completely ill-equipped to understand them without these "teaching aids."

Anyone who is, or pretends to be, intelligent and well-read, should know to move immediately beyond these images and get to the heart of the teaching.

I not only admit, but trumpet aloud, the fact that it is far too easy to be dismissive based on tangentials, and difficult to get past them to the meaning, and moreover sometimes difficult beyond some persons' intellectual capacity.

In my opinion, it's better simply to not get involved in these discussions than to try to fight against the closed mind, and especially the mind that is closed because of non-essential and inconsequential side issues.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 18:07 - Aug 4 with 1898 viewsNeath_Jack

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 17:20 - Aug 4 by Darran

I'm just intrigued as to why this peace loving Dalai Lama typey gets involved.

Perhaps if Dav was a murderer/pedo/rapist he wouldn't.

Fair play, you're stark raving.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 18:51 - Aug 4 with 1892 viewsDarran

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 18:07 - Aug 4 by Neath_Jack

Fair play, you're stark raving.

No I am not.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:10 - Aug 4 with 1885 viewsexiledclaseboy

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 17:20 - Aug 4 by Darran

I'm just intrigued as to why this peace loving Dalai Lama typey gets involved.

Perhaps if Dav was a murderer/pedo/rapist he wouldn't.

That's bang out of order to be fair. What's the implication there?

Poll: Tory leader

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:11 - Aug 4 with 1883 viewsDarran

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:10 - Aug 4 by exiledclaseboy

That's bang out of order to be fair. What's the implication there?

What's bang out of order?

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:12 - Aug 4 with 1878 viewsNeath_Jack

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 18:51 - Aug 4 by Darran

No I am not.

So people who are of the "left" persuasion, are not allowed an opinion or express it or question others who have a differing opinion to themselves? And i know you didn't actually type those words, but that's exactly what you are alluding to.

I'll look forward to you asking the same question of all the other "leftie" posters on here.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:12 - Aug 4 with 1846 viewsJackoBoostardo

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 17:24 - Aug 4 by Catullus

I often disagree with Davillin on religious threads. As far as I know I'm not blocked. Its not so much the answer, but the style and tone of it that leads him to ignore you!

Despite the tone he uses?...

And at no point have I been rude. A good debate is formed in counter arguments... He simply didn't have a good response.

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:13 - Aug 4 with 1878 viewsexiledclaseboy

Anyhoo - the main problem for Christianity (and most other religions) is people.

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:16 - Aug 4 with 1871 viewsexiledclaseboy

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:11 - Aug 4 by Darran

What's bang out of order?

You are with the implication that if Dav was a "murderer/rapist/pedo" JackB wouldn't be so quick to have a go at him. You know how many times as a "leftie" some thick c*nt has said dumbass things to like "I can't believe that you're sticking up for muderers/pedos/rapists" etc. It's one of the stupidest things anyone could ever say and I didn't expect it to come from you even if it wasn't aimed at me.

Sometimes you need to think before you type, if you're capable of such.

Login to get fewer ads

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:18 - Aug 4 with 1864 viewsDarran

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:12 - Aug 4 by Neath_Jack

So people who are of the "left" persuasion, are not allowed an opinion or express it or question others who have a differing opinion to themselves? And i know you didn't actually type those words, but that's exactly what you are alluding to.

I'll look forward to you asking the same question of all the other "leftie" posters on here.

Look you bell end he keeps going on about the scum of the earth being rehabilitated and he keeps going on at Dav,he's been doing it for years.
I reckon it's an Anerican thing like a few others.

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:19 - Aug 4 with 1827 viewsJackoBoostardo

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 17:18 - Aug 4 by C_jack

Why are you coming on to a Christian thread and shouting down Christians?

Interesting that you've abandoned the other one

Is it really a Christian thread? Is it really??

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:19 - Aug 4 with 1862 viewsDarran

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:16 - Aug 4 by exiledclaseboy

You are with the implication that if Dav was a "murderer/rapist/pedo" JackB wouldn't be so quick to have a go at him. You know how many times as a "leftie" some thick c*nt has said dumbass things to like "I can't believe that you're sticking up for muderers/pedos/rapists" etc. It's one of the stupidest things anyone could ever say and I didn't expect it to come from you even if it wasn't aimed at me.

Sometimes you need to think before you type, if you're capable of such.

Well he does come across as the Dalai Lama on acid.

Oh and f*ck off too.

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:21 - Aug 4 with 1857 viewsChono

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals"
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:22 - Aug 4 with 1851 viewsNeath_Jack

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:18 - Aug 4 by Darran

Look you bell end he keeps going on about the scum of the earth being rehabilitated and he keeps going on at Dav,he's been doing it for years.
I reckon it's an Anerican thing like a few others.

He debates with Dav. You have an inferiority complex i reckon. Dav can fight (block) his own battles, he doesn't need a half wit like you to throw accusations around on his behalf. Stick to goading the thicker types, they're more than enough for you to handle.

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:23 - Aug 4 with 1854 viewsexiledclaseboy

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:21 - Aug 4 by Chono

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals"

That could be Prosser's bio tonight.

He's had a Darran. Again.

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:26 - Aug 4 with 1845 viewsDarran

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:22 - Aug 4 by Neath_Jack

He debates with Dav. You have an inferiority complex i reckon. Dav can fight (block) his own battles, he doesn't need a half wit like you to throw accusations around on his behalf. Stick to goading the thicker types, they're more than enough for you to handle.

I'm not fighting anyone's battles though if someone else had started this thread Jackb probably wouldn't have replied,Cottsy is another one,weird as f*ck mun.

I couldn't give a toss if you don't agree but we all know it's true and as for Dav putting people on ignore I don't agree with that either.

What's on 19:50 - Aug 4 with 1823 viewsdickythorpe

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 17:35 - Aug 4 by skippyjack

It's partially true.. but it doesn't reveal the true story.. the bible is skewed with facts and non facts.. it's a jumbled book.. that you've got to put straight.. it's a fascinating puzzle the bible.

Ha ha the "the Jumble book" my favourite song..........

[Post edited 4 Aug 2014 19:53]
What's on 20:03 - Aug 4 with 1810 viewsDrizzle

What's on 12:26 - Aug 4 by jackb

Religion is a choice, sexuality is not;
I don't get LGBT people knocking me up of a morning trying to convert me on the doorstep
Their views and actions are not affecting what I can/can't do;
You don't get LGBT people warping and manipulating the minds of the young ,the weak and the vulnerable.

No real comparison, IMHO :)

Nothing irrational in disliking religion, it's the exact opposite!

Hyperbole much. Warping the minds of the weak and the young. Yes warping them into being nice to everyone. What monsters.
Quick question: if practitioners of religion have been manipulated and warped into religion then its no longer a choice is it? Ooops
How can someones views affect what you can or cant do?
Have you been lobotomised recently or something? You seemed to be quite a reasonable poster back in the day. I guess real life was warped your mind without the help of religion.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2014 20:35]
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 20:08 - Aug 4 with 1798 viewsWatchman

As always Dav these threads are the best ones! For me it is simple everyone who lives needs to read

The Zohar

The Torah/ Pentateuch
Genesis:
Exodus:
Leviticus:
Numbers:
Deuteronomy:

Quran the first 6 Suras

These are the books all structured society is based upon

Each of us are here, we are not told why we are here, but the emperical fight good/evil:bad/good etc is one we all have to take on board. It is about the individual not 2 "belong to this tribe/cult" etc like always rules or laws are broken by a few but affect everyone

A great friend of mine found 'God' and Jesus and the first thing he said to me was I never knew how much money it costs to keep the Church going! and I said didn't Jesus say tear down the temples? why do you need building/land/real estate to pray? I did not get a reply

I love these subjects on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am but a dot, but a dot that can cause an earthquake
Blog: Ignorance is not Bliss but it sure is Funny

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 20:14 - Aug 4 with 1787 viewsDrizzle

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 20:17 - Aug 4 with 1782 viewsDrizzle

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 17:18 - Aug 4 by C_jack

Why are you coming on to a Christian thread and shouting down Christians?

Interesting that you've abandoned the other one

Yes when he was suggesting that the apes religious tendencies led to the spread of aids. Or something. Fair dos he has to be the stupidest poster ever on planetswans by about a light year.
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 20:33 - Aug 4 with 1756 viewsWatchman

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 20:14 - Aug 4 by Drizzle

Does not mean they are right Drizzle!

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 20:36 - Aug 4 with 1752 viewsDrizzle

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 20:33 - Aug 4 by Watchman

Does not mean they are right Drizzle!

No but it means I am.
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 20:36 - Aug 4 with 1733 viewsJackoBoostardo

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 20:17 - Aug 4 by Drizzle

Yes when he was suggesting that the apes religious tendencies led to the spread of aids. Or something. Fair dos he has to be the stupidest poster ever on planetswans by about a light year.

What fukking bollox are you spouting now??

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 20:49 - Aug 4 with 1736 viewsWatchman

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 20:36 - Aug 4 by Drizzle

No but it means I am.

Fair Play to you for thinking you have the meaning of life about the only one I know including me

What's on 21:00 - Aug 4 with 1729 viewsDrizzle

Did I say I knew the meaning of life? I could have sworn all I said was that religion has a huge effect on our lives today, whether it is relevant or not. Id love to see how you got from what I said to what you did.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2014 21:01]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024