Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's "wrong" with Christianity? 20:17 - Aug 3 with 29902 viewsDavillin

What's "wrong" with Christianity?

N.B. In my opinion, it's not what's "wrong" with Christianity, but rather what's wrong with certain dismissive analyses of Christianity.

Everything that's "wrong" with Christianity is not about Christ and his teaching, but is about matters tangential to his teaching.

First and foremost, the Old Testament. Eliminate all of it and all of the hate-filled attacks on the thousands of sometimes imaginary and sometimes at least partly imaginary, and this would be a quieter place, and a quieter message board.

Second, eliminate all of the mythical elements like angels singing on high, and three wise men, and immaculate conception, and virgin birth, etc, etc, etc.

Third, eliminate all of the happy horsesh!t that goes on within the formalized churches -- especially the Catholic Church -- everything from fanciful non-Biblical embellishments and sometimes exceedingly silly rules and dogma, to long-past historical peccadilloes and worse, long-past political, economic, and military outrages.

Fourth, eliminate all of the excesses in wealth, ostentatious wealth, and pseudo regal trappings.

Fifth, do not be put off by Christ's speaking of Heaven and Hell, and the Father, but remember that these are images fully understood by his unsophisticated audience as images of one kind or another, and are not granite-hard reality.

Not one of the things I describe above has anything significant to do with either Christ or his teachings. When you ignore or eliminate all of those things, you will have the freedom to get to the heart of his teaching.

Although you can be richly rewarded by searching through the New Testament, reading all of the red typeface (which is a standard indication of the words of Christ), you really need go no further than the Sermon on the Mount, where, in essence, he gives an explication of The Ten Commandments, which alone give anyone who wants it a guide to a moral life.

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Matthew-5_7/

The "pixies and fairies" so beloved of those who wish to denigrate either the Bible, religion itself, or just Christianity, were put in there as a means of explaining astoundingly complex concepts to people who were completely ill-equipped to understand them without these "teaching aids."

Anyone who is, or pretends to be, intelligent and well-read, should know to move immediately beyond these images and get to the heart of the teaching.

I not only admit, but trumpet aloud, the fact that it is far too easy to be dismissive based on tangentials, and difficult to get past them to the meaning, and moreover sometimes difficult beyond some persons' intellectual capacity.

In my opinion, it's better simply to not get involved in these discussions than to try to fight against the closed mind, and especially the mind that is closed because of non-essential and inconsequential side issues.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

What's on 13:20 - Aug 7 with 1402 viewsPhaedrus

What's on 13:19 - Aug 7 by jackb

it's even lamer making unfounded, incorrect allegations. Just saying like!

The amount of shyt you post on here and you type that.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2014 13:26]

And what is good Phaedrus, and what is not good. Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

What's on 13:30 - Aug 7 with 1384 viewsJackanapes

What's on 21:45 - Aug 5 by JackoBoostardo

It's like trying to have a discussion with a walrus.... A deaf one.

You must be a thick cnt if you have attempted to have a conversation with a deaf walrus.

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

What's on 13:53 - Aug 7 with 1364 viewsDizzy

What's on 23:35 - Aug 4 by JackoBoostardo

Drizzle - possible one of the best worst trolls on the internet, or the biggest religion apologist known to man.

Either way - he comes across as a complete idiot at times instead of taking the debate head on. You should also watch out for his links and factual sources - as they are undoubtedly written by clowns of equal stature to Drizzle.

Keep up the fight jackb.

Drizzle hasn't posted any links on this thread. I do recall him posting a quote from Carl Sagan though in another similar thread. So either Carl Sagan is a clown or Drizzle is a brilliant, brilliant man.
I'm interested to know how you differentiate between the links and factual sources on the net that are correct and those that aren't? I'm guessing all the ones you use are the correct ones? And coincidentally the links and factual sources that everyone else use just happen to be incorrect? Ok.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2014 15:29]
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 13:55 - Aug 7 with 1361 viewsDizzy

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 17:39 - Aug 5 by JackoBoostardo

Yet you respond.

Again, showing the world your stupidity.

The world reads Planetswans just not football board. Wow.
What's on 13:58 - Aug 7 with 1355 viewsDizzy

What's on 13:30 - Aug 7 by Jackanapes

You must be a thick cnt if you have attempted to have a conversation with a deaf walrus.

More than once by the looks of it.
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:44 - Aug 7 with 1300 viewsDavillin

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 12:35 - Aug 4 by JJJack

"In my opinion, it's better simply to not get involved in these discussions than to try to fight against the closed mind, and especially the mind that is closed because of non-essential and inconsequential side issues."

I'll tell you what I ridicule Daz.......look at the above paragraph which is the final paragraph of the OP. Dav puts a pretty reasonable post on here which is thought-provoking if not obviously biased. But then ends the post with a "and don't bother disagreeing with me because I'm not going to bother discussing it if you do" comment. That's about as ridiculous and pointless as you can get in terms of starting up a , er, "discussion".

JJJack, if you're going to criticize me or my posts, for god's sake, criticize me for what I actually wrote. Don't intentionally misrepresent what I wrote and then criticize that.

Doing so is either a sign that you're intellectually-limited and can't read English, or that you're intentionally kicking up a fuss about a falsehood, and that's dishonest.

I wrote that I consider it better to not try to "fight against the closed mind," and NOT "don't bother disagreeing with me." If you don't understand the difference, you're hopeless.

Misrepresenting what I post -- intentionally or stupidly -- is a blocking offense.

Blocked.

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:58 - Aug 7 with 1291 viewsMillJack

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:44 - Aug 7 by Davillin

JJJack, if you're going to criticize me or my posts, for god's sake, criticize me for what I actually wrote. Don't intentionally misrepresent what I wrote and then criticize that.

Doing so is either a sign that you're intellectually-limited and can't read English, or that you're intentionally kicking up a fuss about a falsehood, and that's dishonest.

I wrote that I consider it better to not try to "fight against the closed mind," and NOT "don't bother disagreeing with me." If you don't understand the difference, you're hopeless.

Misrepresenting what I post -- intentionally or stupidly -- is a blocking offense.

Blocked.

Dav, I always read your posts with a great deal of interest, albeit that I don't get involved too much on here. It's probably safe to say that I disagree with you on most things but it doesn't take away from the fact that I find your posts, in the most part, thought-provoking.

However you're genuinely coming across as a petulant child with all of this blocking, in particular when it involves (imo) one of PlanetSwans best posters in JJJack.

I find it difficult to believe that someone as clearly educated as you has gone through life simply closing their ears to people who you disagree with or consider 'inferior' to yourself in some way.

Seriously, you're embarrassing yourself.
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 20:39 - Aug 7 with 1268 viewsJackoBoostardo

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:58 - Aug 7 by MillJack

Dav, I always read your posts with a great deal of interest, albeit that I don't get involved too much on here. It's probably safe to say that I disagree with you on most things but it doesn't take away from the fact that I find your posts, in the most part, thought-provoking.

However you're genuinely coming across as a petulant child with all of this blocking, in particular when it involves (imo) one of PlanetSwans best posters in JJJack.

I find it difficult to believe that someone as clearly educated as you has gone through life simply closing their ears to people who you disagree with or consider 'inferior' to yourself in some way.

It's simple - he doesn't like being proven wrong. Ignorance is bliss and all that!

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Login to get fewer ads

What's on 20:45 - Aug 7 with 1260 viewsJackoBoostardo

What's on 13:53 - Aug 7 by Dizzy

Drizzle hasn't posted any links on this thread. I do recall him posting a quote from Carl Sagan though in another similar thread. So either Carl Sagan is a clown or Drizzle is a brilliant, brilliant man.
I'm interested to know how you differentiate between the links and factual sources on the net that are correct and those that aren't? I'm guessing all the ones you use are the correct ones? And coincidentally the links and factual sources that everyone else use just happen to be incorrect? Ok.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2014 15:29]

Drizzy
Dizzy
Drizzle

Do links posted need to remain exclusive to this thread to be spoken about?

The other question of yours is easy to answer - factual sources are proven sources. Not the shyte you, I mean Drizzle, was posting. If you post something incorrect, and I tell you as such, why take it personally..... ???

Now either take part in a proper discussion of fuk off will ya - you're boring me!

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

What's on 20:48 - Aug 7 with 1260 viewsDizzy

What's on 20:45 - Aug 7 by JackoBoostardo

Drizzy
Dizzy
Drizzle

Do links posted need to remain exclusive to this thread to be spoken about?

The other question of yours is easy to answer - factual sources are proven sources. Not the shyte you, I mean Drizzle, was posting. If you post something incorrect, and I tell you as such, why take it personally..... ???

Now either take part in a proper discussion of fuk off will ya - you're boring me!

Carl Sagan is proven source.
What's on 20:49 - Aug 7 with 1247 viewsJackoBoostardo

What's on 20:48 - Aug 7 by Dizzy

Carl Sagan is proven source.

You clearly didn't read the all the links posted then. And the random pics that had nothing to do with the threads... and the very strange comments claiming I am a heathen...

Okay then.... carry on as you are.

What's on 20:50 - Aug 7 with 1255 viewsDizzy

Do you authenticate all those very accurate pictures you use as evidence ? How do you prove their accuracy? I mean anyone could have photoshopped them.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2014 20:53]
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 20:51 - Aug 7 with 1242 viewstrampie

I'm fairly new on here, I responded to one of Davillin's posts that made reference to the US and the war and I pointing out that the USA was approximately a combined 5 years late entering both the world wars, Davillin told me I was blocked , blocked for saying something factually true but he clearly didn't like it, how childish and petulant is that ?

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 20:55 - Aug 7 with 1229 viewsJackoBoostardo

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 20:51 - Aug 7 by trampie

I'm fairly new on here, I responded to one of Davillin's posts that made reference to the US and the war and I pointing out that the USA was approximately a combined 5 years late entering both the world wars, Davillin told me I was blocked , blocked for saying something factually true but he clearly didn't like it, how childish and petulant is that ?

Yet he will claim you are the petulant one and have the cheek to threaten blocking, as if he's someone we're all clambering over to speak to.

What's on 21:01 - Aug 7 with 1216 viewsJackoBoostardo

What's on 20:50 - Aug 7 by Dizzy

Do you authenticate all those very accurate pictures you use as evidence ? How do you prove their accuracy? I mean anyone could have photoshopped them.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2014 20:53]

Correct me if i'm wrong with what I am saying - I urge you! My arguments however stem from fact and information that's accurate.

As for the photo's, did I post those as fact? I can't confirm whether the pics posted weren't manipulated. However, having travelled the US extensively I have come across a number of signs that are very similar - and the pics I posted were intended as a representation of the type of messages church's use to try and scare or push into church. The pics made it easier to show you what I wanted to say, rather than go into a huge post.

So although I can't vouch for the complete authenticity of the pics posted, it doesn't mean they were any less authentic in the message I wanted to get across having witnessed this first hand!

What's on 22:12 - Aug 7 with 1198 viewsDizzy

What's on 21:01 - Aug 7 by JackoBoostardo

Correct me if i'm wrong with what I am saying - I urge you! My arguments however stem from fact and information that's accurate.

As for the photo's, did I post those as fact? I can't confirm whether the pics posted weren't manipulated. However, having travelled the US extensively I have come across a number of signs that are very similar - and the pics I posted were intended as a representation of the type of messages church's use to try and scare or push into church. The pics made it easier to show you what I wanted to say, rather than go into a huge post.

So although I can't vouch for the complete authenticity of the pics posted, it doesn't mean they were any less authentic in the message I wanted to get across having witnessed this first hand!

Oh I see.Well anyone can say that about any of the links and facts they use. Why do you get special dispensation to use erroneous information to convey a message? YOU specifically alluded to the sources of information used by others as being written by clowns. If it helped THEM convey the message THEY were intending then I'm afraid their sources are as valid as yours.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2014 22:13]
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 22:16 - Aug 7 with 1194 viewsDizzy

I had to make special mention of this sentence.

"My arguments however stem from fact and information that's accurate. "

Prove it.
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 22:26 - Aug 7 with 1188 viewsDizzy

As for witnessing things first hand, you have rejected out of hand the testimony of several people who have said that religion brings positivity into their lives. Why does your first hand experience outweigh theirs?Are you that convinced that your view of the world is the only valid one? If so you deserve all the scorn you are getting.
What's on 22:40 - Aug 7 with 1165 viewsShaky

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 22:26 - Aug 7 by Dizzy

As for witnessing things first hand, you have rejected out of hand the testimony of several people who have said that religion brings positivity into their lives. Why does your first hand experience outweigh theirs?Are you that convinced that your view of the world is the only valid one? If so you deserve all the scorn you are getting.

Well I haven't followed the actual discussion here in any detail, but a quick scan of the recent posting roster would strongly tend to suggest that substantially all of that scorn is being dispensed by your colourful menagerie of IDs, psychoboy.

You must be tickled pink over how clever you think you are. Bet you feel like a million Weimar republic Reichmarks.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 23:01 - Aug 7 with 1153 viewsJackoBoostardo

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 22:26 - Aug 7 by Dizzy

Okay, to repeat myself - what positivity could religion bring to someone that their family and friends cannot? And isn't the support from other 'humans' more tangible than myth?

So rejecting the testimony of others, or simply pointing out why their theories are flawed?

And all the scorn I'm getting? It appears to be a select group of people who all troll with eachother. For all I know, and others, they could even be one and the same - it's not unheard of is it!

I don't claim to know everything - I never have done. But the things I do know I can discuss with confidence. I am also still very much learning, along with every other scientist and discoverer - the universe and everything in it is an awesome place and I never tire of making new discoveries. I also know that by taking the time to learn and discover, you will understand that a god is an impossibility. Millions of years of natural development and refinement has made us what we are today.

You may or may not know that I am a scientist (and have been involved in a variety of fields but currently working on renewable fuels and technology consultation to a number of fuel corporations at present). Now, this isn't to say I'm bragging, but simply explaining that I am not discussing this topic as a layman. This is a very difficult and emotive topic to discuss, and get across to people - but some here simply troll. So when you talk about Drizzle and his evidence, I DO happen to know his facts are flawed and incorrect. Having done the research, travelled the world and seen the things I have been privileged to see and met really extraordinary people in my life so far, it becomes apparent that there can be no possible god.

All we need as humans is to recognise our humanity - act on the instinct that comes naturally from being a civilised species.

So there's my statement - for the record.

What's on 23:24 - Aug 7 with 1142 viewsDavillin

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 19:58 - Aug 7 by MillJack

Milljack:

Did you read what I wrote and what he said I wrote? If not, don't reply, or read it below. If you did, did you not see that what he criticized is not even close to what I wrote. I append the exchange after the next two sentences.

I did not in this case "close my ears," and I never have except in situations that I have clearly identified -- discourtesy, foul language, misrepresenting what I write. JJJack's problem is that my ears were wide open and I saw his misrepresentation of what I wrote.

Here's what I wrote, and what he said I wrote:

"I wrote that I consider it better to not try to "fight against the closed mind," and NOT "don't bother disagreeing with me." If you don't understand the difference, you're hopeless.*

Your personal attacks on me as "petulant" and not listening to "people who you disagree with me," or "consider 'inferior' to yourself in some way," are annoying. Your last incorrect assumption is probably the most frequent reason for certain posters to give me sh!t -- they see themselves as inferior, even though I do not see them that way. I am who I am and they can't deal with that.

Feel free to attack me for what I write, full stop. I don't remember ever having responded to one of your posts before, but you have immediately lost my respect.

* You may feel free to read the entire exchange within the thread and see if you might wish to reconsider what you wrote.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2014 2:02]

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 23:31 - Aug 7 with 1127 viewsJackoBoostardo

What's on 23:24 - Aug 7 by Davillin

Milljack:

Did you read what I wrote and what he said I wrote? If not, don't reply, or read it below. If you did, did you not see that what he criticized is not even close to what I wrote. I append the exchange after the next two sentences.

I did not in this case "close my ears," and I never have except in situations that I have clearly identified -- discourtesy, foul language, misrepresenting what I write. JJJack's problem is that my ears were wide open and I saw his misrepresentation of what I wrote.

Here's what I wrote, and what he said I wrote:

"I wrote that I consider it better to not try to "fight against the closed mind," and NOT "don't bother disagreeing with me." If you don't understand the difference, you're hopeless.*

Your personal attacks on me as "petulant" and not listening to "people who you disagree with me," or "consider 'inferior' to yourself in some way," are annoying. Your last incorrect assumption is probably the most frequent reason for certain posters to give me sh!t -- they see themselves as inferior, even though I do not see them that way. I am who I am and they can't deal with that.

Feel free to attack me for what I write, full stop. I don't remember ever having responded to one of your posts before, but you have immediately lost my respect.

* You may feel free to read the entire exchange within the thread and see if you might wish to reconsider what you wrote.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2014 2:02]

Uh Oh..... another one on the blocklist!

What's on 23:40 - Aug 7 with 1118 viewsjackb

What's on 13:20 - Aug 7 by Phaedrus

The amount of shyt you post on here and you type that.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2014 13:26]

My, what rattled your cage, you tell me what unfounded allegations I have ever posted.

Weird, I dont even recall ever having responded to you for you to be so unpleasant. Ah well, if it makes you feel better, sad!
What's on 07:01 - Aug 8 with 1070 viewsDizzy

What's on 22:40 - Aug 7 by Shaky

Well I haven't followed the actual discussion here in any detail, but a quick scan of the recent posting roster would strongly tend to suggest that substantially all of that scorn is being dispensed by your colourful menagerie of IDs, psychoboy.

You must be tickled pink over how clever you think you are. Bet you feel like a million Weimar republic Reichmarks.

How clever do I think I am?
What's on 07:13 - Aug 8 with 1062 viewsDizzy

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 23:01 - Aug 7 by JackoBoostardo

Okay, to repeat myself - what positivity could religion bring to someone that their family and friends cannot? And isn't the support from other 'humans' more tangible than myth?

So rejecting the testimony of others, or simply pointing out why their theories are flawed?

And all the scorn I'm getting? It appears to be a select group of people who all troll with eachother. For all I know, and others, they could even be one and the same - it's not unheard of is it!

I don't claim to know everything - I never have done. But the things I do know I can discuss with confidence. I am also still very much learning, along with every other scientist and discoverer - the universe and everything in it is an awesome place and I never tire of making new discoveries. I also know that by taking the time to learn and discover, you will understand that a god is an impossibility. Millions of years of natural development and refinement has made us what we are today.

You may or may not know that I am a scientist (and have been involved in a variety of fields but currently working on renewable fuels and technology consultation to a number of fuel corporations at present). Now, this isn't to say I'm bragging, but simply explaining that I am not discussing this topic as a layman. This is a very difficult and emotive topic to discuss, and get across to people - but some here simply troll. So when you talk about Drizzle and his evidence, I DO happen to know his facts are flawed and incorrect. Having done the research, travelled the world and seen the things I have been privileged to see and met really extraordinary people in my life so far, it becomes apparent that there can be no possible god.

All we need as humans is to recognise our humanity - act on the instinct that comes naturally from being a civilised species.

So there's my statement - for the record.

So there aren't billions of religious people on the planet? That's about the only fact I can recall being thrown about. If religious people have " flawed theories" then there are a lot of people on the planet with flawed theories, not just about religion either. ( the very essence of my point)
However people who practice religion don't have theory, they have faith. If faith brings comfort to someone, you are not in a position to tell them they are wrong.
Not everyone has supportive family. Not every one has friends. Some people are born into poverty or worse. People are sometimes not afforded the same passage through life that most if us have had. In times of hardship they need to believe there is something there. Why is that wrong?
Whilst I don't recall there being too many FACTS posted on here, the same cant be said about opinion. I love how your status as a scientist affords you the ability to diagnose the whole planet. I have a degree in engineering. How does that qualify to me as an authority on anything other than my field of study? Has your scientific research been into the redundancy of religion?
If so I would like to read it.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2014 7:46]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024