Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? 06:14 - Aug 18 with 3837 viewsTummer_from_Texas

By way of brief introduction, I only started following the Premier League last year (like a lot of Americans) when every game became available on TV. I was soon drawn to Swansea for a few reasons - always wanted to see Wales, small town team that rose from practically the dead several years ago, the novelty of being one of 2 (at that time...poor Cardiff lol) non - English clubs. I also noticed that it seems like 99% of the USA roots for a Man U or Liverpool or Spurs (ironically, also, the name of my NBA love in San Antonio) or Chelsea type big name, which wasn't really style, if I'm going to shamelessly jump on somebody's bandwagon.

So they gradually became "my team," to the point I was looking forward to Saturday more than any association football game I remember, other than a USA World Cup match.

So for me, it was obviously my favorite moment so far as a brand new fan. But I've been wondering all weekend about where early Saturday morning (for me) might rank, had I been a fan for 10, 20, or 30 years or more? Top 10 or 20 or even in that sort of discussion?

I know the press and other opinions seem to be minimizing the win a bit, acting like this just shows that Man U sucks this year by their standards. But it sure seemed like most of these same people had them predicted in the Top 4, though few think they'll be the Champions. And this was the first ever SC win at OT, and the first opening day loss there for them in 42 years, and there seems to be a lot of apprehension about this club after losing Michu and a few others. So I know it's just the first game in a long season, yada yada yada, but I'd imagine it would still be in the top 10 of greatest Swans victories, unless there is a lot more notable history in the last 10-30 years than I realized.

I guess the Bradford City win in Feb 13 was historic (if not difficult) just for the trophy it won, and I imagine there were at least a couple of pivotal matches in promotion years like 1981 and 2011 that were way more important than Saturday. But in y'all's own experiences, where does Saturday honestly rank? And what great memories does it fall below?

Thanks for "listening," and I am looking so forward to shocking the sh1te out of a few more big name English teams this season. That was pretty cool. :-)

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 17:01 - Aug 18 with 960 viewsmonmouth

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 16:40 - Aug 18 by morningstar

One thing that is often forgotten or overlooked about the Bury game is that we actually started the day outside of the automatic places.

Yep, I thought we'd blown that at Lincoln in injury time, courtesy of one Garry Monk.....:)

So many key games in getting us to OT on Saturday. All equally important at the time. I can't even begin to try and rank them.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 17:03 - Aug 18 with 961 viewsWatchman

Welcome aboard

As an old fuddy duddy and risking sounding some wise ol, has been, been there! seen that! fan. The result is in the top 50 results of all time the performance was not though.
In the EPL era it is an enormous result and will garner even more world wide exposure and support and so the global brand (hate that word) is stronger than ever.
SCFC are gaining a significant following in North America purely as a the new kids on the block and long may that continue.
Let us be the neutrals faves and the club that can be relied upon to give the big boys the occasional bloody nose

Enjoy the Jack family

I am but a dot, but a dot that can cause an earthquake
Blog: Ignorance is not Bliss but it sure is Funny

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 17:13 - Aug 18 with 950 viewsmorningstar

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 16:50 - Aug 18 by Darran

Well said G.

My first name is not Graham, Geraint, Gerwyn or anything like that thank you Darren.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 17:14 - Aug 18 with 949 viewsDarran

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 17:13 - Aug 18 by morningstar

My first name is not Graham, Geraint, Gerwyn or anything like that thank you Darren.

Do I know you?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 17:17 - Aug 18 with 943 viewsmorningstar

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 17:14 - Aug 18 by Darran

Do I know you?

Yes. But I assure you my first name is Thomas.

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 17:21 - Aug 18 with 938 viewsDarran

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 17:17 - Aug 18 by morningstar

Yes. But I assure you my first name is Thomas.

How do I know you?

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 17:23 - Aug 18 with 931 viewsmorningstar

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 17:21 - Aug 18 by Darran

How do I know you?

Ok come on Dar, you know the score!
[Post edited 18 Aug 2014 17:23]

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 17:24 - Aug 18 with 924 viewsDarran

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 17:23 - Aug 18 by morningstar

Ok come on Dar, you know the score!
[Post edited 18 Aug 2014 17:23]

Who are you mun?

Login to get fewer ads

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 18:08 - Aug 18 with 881 viewsAl_Bundy

The match that stands out the most for me which was so vivid even today was our 2-0 opening day defeat at Millwall in 1983.

I was in the home end that day and never forget the atmosphere.
Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 18:58 - Aug 18 with 863 viewsmorningstar

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 18:08 - Aug 18 by Al_Bundy

The match that stands out the most for me which was so vivid even today was our 2-0 opening day defeat at Millwall in 1983.

I was in the home end that day and never forget the atmosphere.

So for you Al, despite everything our club has gone through and the journey we have made. The greatest game for you was a 0-2 defeat at Millwall 31 years ago attended by 6500 people, which was only remembered for a mass brawl between rival fans on the pitch which resulted in the game being stopped! You sure about that, cos I was there as well and would put it down to one of the worst games I've ever been to!
[Post edited 18 Aug 2014 19:03]

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 19:07 - Aug 18 with 847 viewsPozuelosSideys

That 2-1 at Rochdale in 2003 was a pretty big deal. We wouldnt have been in any sort of position against Hull if it wasnt for that.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 19:13 - Aug 18 with 835 viewsRancid

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 18:58 - Aug 18 by morningstar

So for you Al, despite everything our club has gone through and the journey we have made. The greatest game for you was a 0-2 defeat at Millwall 31 years ago attended by 6500 people, which was only remembered for a mass brawl between rival fans on the pitch which resulted in the game being stopped! You sure about that, cos I was there as well and would put it down to one of the worst games I've ever been to!
[Post edited 18 Aug 2014 19:03]

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 19:14 - Aug 18 with 833 views3swan

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 19:07 - Aug 18 by PozuelosSideys

That 2-1 at Rochdale in 2003 was a pretty big deal. We wouldnt have been in any sort of position against Hull if it wasnt for that.

Yes just been talking about this thread and the Rochdale game came up for the very reason you posted
Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 19:22 - Aug 18 with 820 viewsmorningstar

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 19:14 - Aug 18 by 3swan

Yes just been talking about this thread and the Rochdale game came up for the very reason you posted

We were as good as down going into that game Clive.

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 19:29 - Aug 18 with 814 views3swan

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 19:22 - Aug 18 by morningstar

We were as good as down going into that game Clive.

Yes the second goal taking ages to cross the line. Rochdale throwing everything at us towards the end.
All those 'special' games over the years earned us the right to go to O.T. last Saturday close on equal terms with them.
A fantastic result, but we have a team capable of getting these results, so as great as it was and high up in the list I can't be sure if it would make my top 10.

Sounds weird, but it shows our standing now in football terms
Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 06:18 - Aug 19 with 733 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 06:54 - Aug 18 by epaul

Welcome aboard, Saturday was a great win, another milestone in the annuls of Swansea city, definately in our top 10 (for me)

Bigger games or important that we have won, the most important in my mind was Hull 4-2, Reading 4-2 play off final, leeds 5-1 81, preston 3-1 81, Spurs 3-1 81 (made the cockerel cry) anytime we beat the scum. I'm sure I've left 1 or 2 out

What do you think of our roster

Thanks everyone for the great answers!!! I now have a ton a youtubing to do to get my fix during the week!

epaul - I just have a few "way too early so I reserve the right to change my mind" opinions about the current team.

1) I was under the impression that the back defense was a perceived weakness, but nothing could be further from the truth. They have wonderful discipline and intelligence, and if/when we add Fernandez, this defense seems to be really deep. And that is so huge on a team that is going to be out-talented by a few teams.

2) I can already tell that Shelvey is going to be that guy I alternately love and hate. He reminds me a lot of another bald central midfielder - Michael Bradley - a great player who was horrible in Brazil. I love his passion, but got the impression that he's the loose cannon on an otherwise very disciplined squad. Than can be a good thing, though.

3) I'm a little biased for Fabianski due to my Polish ancenstry, but I think he was a steal. Love the style of GK he plays.

4) Gomis could be a really special player. I know the idea of starting he and Bony together isn't a popular one, but I think it would be worth situationally playing them together - i.e. down a goal late. I think this team has a strong enough defense to take those kinds of chances.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 06:54 - Aug 19 with 723 viewshooplehead

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 06:18 - Aug 19 by Tummer_from_Texas

Thanks everyone for the great answers!!! I now have a ton a youtubing to do to get my fix during the week!

epaul - I just have a few "way too early so I reserve the right to change my mind" opinions about the current team.

1) I was under the impression that the back defense was a perceived weakness, but nothing could be further from the truth. They have wonderful discipline and intelligence, and if/when we add Fernandez, this defense seems to be really deep. And that is so huge on a team that is going to be out-talented by a few teams.

2) I can already tell that Shelvey is going to be that guy I alternately love and hate. He reminds me a lot of another bald central midfielder - Michael Bradley - a great player who was horrible in Brazil. I love his passion, but got the impression that he's the loose cannon on an otherwise very disciplined squad. Than can be a good thing, though.

3) I'm a little biased for Fabianski due to my Polish ancenstry, but I think he was a steal. Love the style of GK he plays.

4) Gomis could be a really special player. I know the idea of starting he and Bony together isn't a popular one, but I think it would be worth situationally playing them together - i.e. down a goal late. I think this team has a strong enough defense to take those kinds of chances.

the fall and rise of swansea city appears to have been removed from youtube but i've found it here

it's an excellent look at our recent history

http://movzap.com/qsqyfsx5kfqk
Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 14:31 - Aug 19 with 665 viewsQuakerJack

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 16:50 - Aug 18 by SkipTheJack

I'd say beating Manchester United away in the Premier League is probably the most impressive result in our history.

But there have been MANY far more important games over the years.

There's definitely a difference between the impressiveness of victories over Man U and Arsenal away, and the importance of victories over Reading, Hull, Preston, Bradford, etc. Untimately, beating Man U, Man City or Arsenal will probably not make any difference to our season overall, whereas victories over lesser teams in important matches changes the course of our history.

More impressive than 3-0 in the mestalla?

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 15:12 - Aug 19 with 641 viewsjackharris

Swansea City 4 Hull City 2 (saved from going out of the league)
Swansea City 4 Reading 2 (play-off final)
Rochdale 1 Swansea City 2 (2003 relegation survival)
Bury O Swansea City 1(promotion)
Swansea City 3 Nottingham Forest 1(play off semi final)
Swansea City 1 Spurs 0 (Littlewoods Cup)
Swansea 1 West Ham 0 (FA Cup Replay)
Chelsea O Swansea City 2 (Semi-final)
Swansea City 1 Man City 0 (PL)
Cardiff City 1 Swansea City 2 (1994AET)
Sheffield United 0 Swansea City 3 (FA Cup)
Arsenal 0 Swansea City 2
Manchester United 1 Swansea City 2 (PL)

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 15:15 - Aug 19 with 640 viewsGlyn1

It was a nice result but let's not over react here. Last season in the opening match Aston Villa went to Arsenal and thrashed them 4 - 1at the Emirates but they still almost were relegated.

An excellent result though!

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 15:27 - Aug 19 with 627 viewsStarsky

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 15:12 - Aug 19 by jackharris

Swansea City 4 Hull City 2 (saved from going out of the league)
Swansea City 4 Reading 2 (play-off final)
Rochdale 1 Swansea City 2 (2003 relegation survival)
Bury O Swansea City 1(promotion)
Swansea City 3 Nottingham Forest 1(play off semi final)
Swansea City 1 Spurs 0 (Littlewoods Cup)
Swansea 1 West Ham 0 (FA Cup Replay)
Chelsea O Swansea City 2 (Semi-final)
Swansea City 1 Man City 0 (PL)
Cardiff City 1 Swansea City 2 (1994AET)
Sheffield United 0 Swansea City 3 (FA Cup)
Arsenal 0 Swansea City 2
Manchester United 1 Swansea City 2 (PL)

Can I add to that marvellous list
Preston 1 - Swansea City 3
Liverpool 1 - Swansea City 3 (capital one cup)
Carlisle 1- Swansea 2 cup final
Huddersfield 1- Swansea 1 - Swansea win on penalties - cup final
Swansea 5 - Leeds 1 first ever top flight game
[Post edited 19 Aug 2014 15:30]

It's just the internet, init.

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 15:53 - Aug 19 with 612 viewsAquinas

I'm probably the definition of a modern day fan, my first game was the first game at the Liberty. It coincided with me being old enough to do 110 mile round trip to each home game and being able to afford it! I started going to away games in 2008 when I was 16, the first person I saw walking into st.andrews was none other than Darren.

My top 5 would be :

1) Reading game
2) Forest home (when the ball fell to pratley....)
3) 3-2 v Cardiff
4) Malmo away(purely for the experience)
5) Cardiff away 0-1 (EMNES)

A few games that I really didn't like :

1) Shrewsbury away in the cup
2) West Ham away last season
3) Cardiff away last season
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024