Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jack to a king: The review 20:25 - Sep 12 with 32627 viewsPlazex

RATING OUT OF 10-No, I am being serious. A big 10.
It follows the story of Swansea from when they had the rollercoaster ride in 2001-2003 to where they are now. Some parts had the cinema laughing, especially the guys in the masks. Another part that was funny was the 'T.W.A.T.' Headline that had everyone laughing
I'm not gonna say that much, It is around an hour 30 long. Seriously, it's worth the 9 quid or whatever it is.

Poll: Where will we finish?

Jack to a king: The review on 13:02 - Sep 14 with 1647 viewswestx

Didn't Leigh Dineen also invest his money several years after it was risky so why portray himself as someone who took a massive risk when he didn't? He waited until things had stabilised

Poll: Would you welcome new owners if the deal was right?

Jack to a king: The review on 13:13 - Sep 14 with 1627 viewsDarran

Jack to a king: The review on 13:02 - Sep 14 by westx

Didn't Leigh Dineen also invest his money several years after it was risky so why portray himself as someone who took a massive risk when he didn't? He waited until things had stabilised

I dont know about that but if they'd put all the facts in from the time the club was being wrestled back from Petty certain people wouldn't be revered like they are today.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Jack to a king: The review on 13:16 - Sep 14 with 1622 viewsjacksinceever

Unless you have personal insight to Leigh Dineen's (and any other investor / directors) finances over the past 12 years, then how does you or anyone know how big a risk anyone took (i.e what % of their personal wealth, assets, etc they chanced to save the club?)
How people can critisize anyone who helped the club survive in any way is beyond me
Jack to a king: The review on 13:21 - Sep 14 with 1608 viewswestx

Jack to a king: The review on 13:13 - Sep 14 by Darran

I dont know about that but if they'd put all the facts in from the time the club was being wrestled back from Petty certain people wouldn't be revered like they are today.

Can you elaborate on that?

Jack to a king: The review on 13:22 - Sep 14 with 1606 viewswestx

Jack to a king: The review on 13:16 - Sep 14 by jacksinceever

Unless you have personal insight to Leigh Dineen's (and any other investor / directors) finances over the past 12 years, then how does you or anyone know how big a risk anyone took (i.e what % of their personal wealth, assets, etc they chanced to save the club?)
How people can critisize anyone who helped the club survive in any way is beyond me

This is the point though, by the time Leigh decided he was ready to invest the club had long since been saved

Jack to a king: The review on 13:24 - Sep 14 with 1598 viewsDarran

Jack to a king: The review on 13:21 - Sep 14 by westx

Nah because it doesn't matter,well to me it doesn't anyway.

Jack to a king: The review on 13:26 - Sep 14 with 1597 viewswestx

Jack to a king: The review on 13:24 - Sep 14 by Darran

Nah because it doesn't matter,well to me it doesn't anyway.

It clearly does or you wouldn't have said anything in the first place?

Jack to a king: The review on 13:29 - Sep 14 with 1590 viewsjacksinceever

Jack to a king: The review on 13:22 - Sep 14 by westx

This is the point though, by the time Leigh decided he was ready to invest the club had long since been saved

Okay I accept that. So is it possible that at the time of all the Tony Petty business, Dineen may not have been in a financial position to be a significant investor (hypothetically) ?
Login to get fewer ads

Jack to a king: The review on 13:29 - Sep 14 with 1590 viewsPhil_S

Jack to a king: The review on 13:13 - Sep 14 by Darran

Who would these people be Daz?
Jack to a king: The review on 13:29 - Sep 14 with 1586 viewsDarran

Jack to a king: The review on 13:26 - Sep 14 by westx

It clearly does or you wouldn't have said anything in the first place?

No honestly it doesn't I'm more than happy with where we are today thanks but I was there and I've got a good memory.

Jack to a king: The review on 13:32 - Sep 14 with 1583 viewsJacksawayatWalesgame

Anyway, back to the film; Gary Slaymaker, the film expert, though a Cardiff fan, was very complimentary indeed about "Jack to a King" on Radio Wales on Thursday afternoon. I'm looking forward to seeing it in Llanelli cinema next week.
Jack to a king: The review on 13:32 - Sep 14 with 1583 viewswestx

Jack to a king: The review on 13:29 - Sep 14 by jacksinceever

Okay I accept that. So is it possible that at the time of all the Tony Petty business, Dineen may not have been in a financial position to be a significant investor (hypothetically) ?

Yes I guess it could well be that case. However why then say openly in front of a camera that he had invested at the time everyone put their money in when he clearly didn't for several years afterwards

Jack to a king: The review on 13:33 - Sep 14 with 1578 viewswestx

Jack to a king: The review on 13:32 - Sep 14 by JacksawayatWalesgame

Anyway, back to the film; Gary Slaymaker, the film expert, though a Cardiff fan, was very complimentary indeed about "Jack to a King" on Radio Wales on Thursday afternoon. I'm looking forward to seeing it in Llanelli cinema next week.

Its a very good film. A story well told and well put together. Completely made up in places but other than that a very good film.

Jack to a king: The review on 13:56 - Sep 14 with 1549 viewsBloodyhills

Jack to a king: The review on 22:54 - Sep 12 by Newhousemustscore

Thoroughly enjoyed it. There were some real characters interviewed and some funny lines but no-one was embarrassing.a couple of emotional bits (Kevin Johns brave heart speech) and a couple of punch the air moments. Everyone in the cinema applauded when it finished. Petty gave his side of things but still didn't convince. I wonder why Brendan didn't appear. Dvd would be good but it seemed almost surreal seeing it played out on the big screen and would therefore recommend seeing it in the cinema.

Am off to see it tonight, can't wait.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Jack to a king: The review on 14:19 - Sep 14 with 1509 viewsUxbridge

Jack to a king: The review on 13:33 - Sep 14 by westx

Its a very good film. A story well told and well put together. Completely made up in places but other than that a very good film.

Heh. You put it much better than I did.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Jack to a king: The review on 15:02 - Sep 14 with 1470 viewswhiterock

So did petty make off with the Stuart Roberts money. Did he take the odd brief case full of cash, did the Pfa pay players wages, why was he invited on Friday and why didn't someone smack him?
Jack to a king: The review on 15:06 - Sep 14 with 1465 viewslondonlisa2001

Jack to a king: The review on 15:02 - Sep 14 by whiterock

So did petty make off with the Stuart Roberts money. Did he take the odd brief case full of cash, did the Pfa pay players wages, why was he invited on Friday and why didn't someone smack him?

On the last point, presumably because we 'won' and that's the biggest smacking he could get. There must be a part of him that thinks, what if he'd run the club properly - he'd be the one worth millions now (not saying obviously it would have happened, but he must think it).
Jack to a king: The review on 15:32 - Sep 14 with 1416 viewswestx

Jack to a king: The review on 15:02 - Sep 14 by whiterock

Makes you wonder if maybe the film producers wanted him to get that smack - extra publicity? Or am I too cynical these days

David Morgan is my new hero anyway he single handedly saved the club with his £5000

Jack to a king: The review on 15:57 - Sep 14 with 1377 viewsDarran

Jack to a king: The review on 15:32 - Sep 14 by westx

Makes you wonder if maybe the film producers wanted him to get that smack - extra publicity? Or am I too cynical these days

David Morgan is my new hero anyway he single handedly saved the club with his £5000

Was the first game after Petty was ousted Rochdale away I'm sure I remember Dai pulling in the car park and everyone cheering.

Jack to a king: The review on 16:08 - Sep 14 with 1362 viewsScoobyWho

Jack to a king: The review on 13:21 - Sep 14 by westx

There are many people with many opinions about the film, I have seen it and found it entertaining but where are all these people who fought against the various regimes I read about in the late 90's from silver shield, Lewis and then Petty ? Why wasn't Phil Sumbler in it and his original supporters club in Bristol ? Correct me if the location is wrong / right. I recall him and a others on the news fronting up to all of them whilst a lot of fans were being hoodwinked. Where is this guy Rich lillicrap ? Who if you google clearly was involved heavily ? Seems to me a lot of hard work was done during the very early days by a few fans that was jumped on by others when the path was clear.

I could be wrong but you can easily see by researching on the internet that some key and main players were left out of this.
Why ?
Would they have stole some thunder and told a more truthful account ? Or is it that all of these fans seem to be living away from or not from Swansea ? Was that a problem ? It has long been said the club and board are somewhat protective and insular.

That aside, an enjoyable film and recent fans be that by age or success will see it and love it I'm sure, it's just a shame chunks of it were unnecessary when some people were left out completely. As I said I knew Mal Pope back in the late 80's and he told me at a gig in Swansea one night he wasn't a swans fan that much. Irrespective if he gave away records to support the club at one point, he would only do that for personal publicity IMO. Harsh, I know but fair.

However, he has worked hard on this and fair play to him for the effort he has put in with others to chart some form of historical document. Unlike some it seems - At least he will get recognised for it.

I loved it but feel cheated too.

Thats my review.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2014 16:13]

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Jack to a king: The review on 16:28 - Sep 14 with 1342 viewsouttolunch

I think the trust and him put some intitial money in and both were given time to get to the 50,000. It was years until the club was stabilised not within months . I think the trust book gives a better insight than the film. Many forget MM didnt want to be a director for years. Perhaps he was hedging his bets a little and didnt want to be in the firing line if it all went wrong.
Jack to a king: The review on 16:30 - Sep 14 with 1338 viewsScoobyWho

Jack to a king: The review on 16:28 - Sep 14 by outtolunch

I think the trust and him put some intitial money in and both were given time to get to the 50,000. It was years until the club was stabilised not within months . I think the trust book gives a better insight than the film. Many forget MM didnt want to be a director for years. Perhaps he was hedging his bets a little and didnt want to be in the firing line if it all went wrong.

It was well known that his wife didn't want him anywhere near the club for years, that is until the smell of lucre' was evident. He was always in the wings though.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2014 16:31]

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Jack to a king: The review on 16:37 - Sep 14 with 1327 viewsouttolunch

Jack to a king: The review on 16:30 - Sep 14 by ScoobyWho

It was well known that his wife didn't want him anywhere near the club for years, that is until the smell of lucre' was evident. He was always in the wings though.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2014 16:31]

Yes he was but didnt want to be in the firing line it seems.
Jack to a king: The review on 16:41 - Sep 14 with 1317 viewswestx

Jack to a king: The review on 16:37 - Sep 14 by outtolunch

Yes he was but didnt want to be in the firing line it seems.

You are spot on he was in the wings but he did also invest when the club most needed it unlike Dineen who waited until it was secure before putting his money in - riding on the back of the fans until that point to get his foot on. No doubt as well now he would sell as quick as an oil billionaire said £20 per share.

Don't let him tell you what actually happened - he didn't put any of his money in until the club was on a level footing

Jack to a king: The review on 16:44 - Sep 14 with 1306 viewsJackbustard

Jack to a king: The review on 08:31 - Sep 13 by Dyfnant

No one outside of South Wales has ever heard of Alan Tate, makes it quite understandable he gets no air time

I fail to see what not being known outside Wales has got to do with it. Bothhim and Monk played for us fron League 2 hence why the could have at least spoke to them. Tate was also instrumental in the play off final too with his assits in both penalties.

For me they just spent a lot of time talking to Leon who in fact jumped ship a few seasons ago.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024