Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread 20:33 - Apr 7 with 83555 viewsexiledclaseboy

About time we had one and it's got the word "official" in the title so that makes all the difference. If a mod wants to sticky it, feel free.

I seem to remember that five years ago (on the old, better Planet Swans) we got to nearly 100 pages and then another 60odd with the "aftermath" thread. They were good fun but there were more posters then and we were all a bit more tolerant of others' views. Let's try to be nice to each other, eh.

Anyway, best site for opinion polls is this one in my experience:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/

Polls are so tight the only conclusion is that the Tories and Labour are head to head nationwide. Can't put a whisker between them.

Tories need about 39-40% for an overall majority. Labour will probably get one on 36-37%. God bless our ridiculous voting system.

So, enjoy yourselves. I'll start with a prediction. Labour to win most seats but slightly fewer votes than the Tories and end up forming some kind of minority government with support from various parliamentary lefties on a vote by vote basis. And then all of a sudden many Tory supporters will discover that they've always hated first past the post and can't understand why we perpetuate a system under which the party which more people voted for than any other can lose the election. It'll be quite funny and lead to calls for a proper voting system. Which everyone will forget about in six months when all the fuss has died down.

What say you?

Poll: Tory leader

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 14:18 - Apr 29 with 1803 viewsLohengrin

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 13:53 - Apr 29 by londonlisa2001

I'm sure all will go swimmingly and there'll be no prospect whatsoever of abuse or challenge to the result.

It'll go particularly well in seats with a high Asian population where the man of the household will be able to exercise his wife's vote without any interference. Those pesky people at the polling stations who currently try to eliminate double voting by men in Poplar are an unwarranted nuisance aren't they.

Two words: Lutfur Rahman.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 14:22 - Apr 29 with 1802 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 14:15 - Apr 29 by Uxbridge

As to the current take a piece of paper down to the polling booth with no ID and check a box you mean

I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the feeding frenzy of that second paragraph too!

lol

Well at least you have to be the correct gender at the moment !

In all seriousness, the issue of double voting in Asian households (or attempted double voting) is causing real problems in some parts of Tower Hamlets. It is, apparently, culturally unacceptable for women to have a view on politics. It is completely acceptable for her husband / brother / father to have her view for her.

I don't know of any system where that will cease to be an issue, although, as I say, at least the person voting at the moment has to be the same sex. One of the reasons for such poor turnouts in that part of London is that a lot of the women are banned from voting by their menfolk (I'm sure there are many on here that think that's quite a good idea...)
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 14:49 - Apr 29 with 1782 viewsperchrockjack

I've not seen west wing either or mad men.

Tonto had cause to be serious candidate for racial discrimination.

Lone Ranger didn't folk around thouh

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 16:30 - Apr 29 with 1735 viewslibertine

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 13:02 - Apr 29 by monmouth

I never really got what Tonto was all about. It just means The Lone Ranger wasn't really lone doesn't it? Trade description blokes need to look into it tonto, I mean pronto.

Old Silver got the worst deal. 'Hi ho, away yourself you daft masked bastard'

sorry monmouth ,

wrong again!!!!!

the lone ranger implies he was the only ranger, not the only person albeit a redskin tonto is still a person.

this case would be thrown out of court!!
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 16:43 - Apr 29 with 1724 viewslibertine

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 13:53 - Apr 29 by londonlisa2001

I'm sure all will go swimmingly and there'll be no prospect whatsoever of abuse or challenge to the result.

It'll go particularly well in seats with a high Asian population where the man of the household will be able to exercise his wife's vote without any interference. Those pesky people at the polling stations who currently try to eliminate double voting by men in Poplar are an unwarranted nuisance aren't they.

im damn gld that a woman can finally see the sense in my point concerning the female vote

its a nuisance as you say

the sooner the tories end it the better, women are for cooking cleaning and the other!!

well said lisa!!!!
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 17:17 - Apr 29 with 1703 viewsmonmouth

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 16:30 - Apr 29 by libertine

sorry monmouth ,

wrong again!!!!!

the lone ranger implies he was the only ranger, not the only person albeit a redskin tonto is still a person.

this case would be thrown out of court!!

Fair enough. In that case it's a bigger fraud than I thought. It should be titled The Lone Ranger, the Lone Ethnic Minority Stereotype and the Lone Quadruped.

As to online voting, its got to be a way to increase participation amongst younger groups but yes, there are some serious cultural issues to overcome for sure. Not a reason not to do it though.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 17:49 - Apr 29 with 1671 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 16:43 - Apr 29 by libertine

im damn gld that a woman can finally see the sense in my point concerning the female vote

its a nuisance as you say

the sooner the tories end it the better, women are for cooking cleaning and the other!!

well said lisa!!!!

lol

There will be a number of here Libertine that agree with that (and not in jest)!!

Now where's my iron?
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 17:52 - Apr 29 with 1666 viewsperchrockjack

Vote tonto

Login to get fewer ads

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 18:00 - Apr 29 with 1661 viewsmonmouth

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 17:49 - Apr 29 by londonlisa2001

lol

There will be a number of here Libertine that agree with that (and not in jest)!!

Now where's my iron?

You used it to smash Shaky over the head.

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 18:12 - Apr 29 with 1651 viewsexiledclaseboy

Two constituency polls tonight suggest that Clegg will lose his Sheffield seat and Farage will fail to win Thanet.

Those results could make next Thursday worthwhile regardless of what happens elsewhere.

Poll: Tory leader

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 18:13 - Apr 29 with 1655 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 18:00 - Apr 29 by monmouth

You used it to smash Shaky over the head.

ha ha - I knew I hadn't seen it for ages ...
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 18:15 - Apr 29 with 1652 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 18:12 - Apr 29 by exiledclaseboy

Two constituency polls tonight suggest that Clegg will lose his Sheffield seat and Farage will fail to win Thanet.

Those results could make next Thursday worthwhile regardless of what happens elsewhere.

will be similar to when Portillo lost his seat.

I spent that night in a party in the Dept of Education - much mirth and champagne all round.

I feel a bit guilty now as every time I see him these days he comes across as quite a decent bloke.
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 18:20 - Apr 29 with 1647 viewsmonmouth

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 18:15 - Apr 29 by londonlisa2001

will be similar to when Portillo lost his seat.

I spent that night in a party in the Dept of Education - much mirth and champagne all round.

I feel a bit guilty now as every time I see him these days he comes across as quite a decent bloke.

He really wasn't decent then, neither was Mellor. He may have changed now of course - his cowardice will live with him forever.

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 18:24 - Apr 29 with 1639 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 18:20 - Apr 29 by monmouth

He really wasn't decent then, neither was Mellor. He may have changed now of course - his cowardice will live with him forever.

maybe.

Not sure whether he has changed or whether he had a bad press. I know a lot of people that know him or have met him and all say he's a genuinely nice guy (including big Labour supporters).

Mellor - I have enjoyed his radio shows over the years but can't forgive him the Chelsea shirt ;-)
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 18:30 - Apr 29 with 1617 viewsmonmouth

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 18:24 - Apr 29 by londonlisa2001

maybe.

Not sure whether he has changed or whether he had a bad press. I know a lot of people that know him or have met him and all say he's a genuinely nice guy (including big Labour supporters).

Mellor - I have enjoyed his radio shows over the years but can't forgive him the Chelsea shirt ;-)

I like his railway programme. Oh God, did I say that out loud.

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 20:11 - Apr 29 with 1578 viewsjackonicko

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 14:18 - Apr 29 by Lohengrin

Two words: Lutfur Rahman.

The forensic investigation into him was epic in its execution.

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 20:26 - Apr 29 with 1567 viewsyescomeon

Interesting (not in a good way) reading about the Asian female vote (or lack thereof) in London (and possibly nationwide). I wouldn't imagine there is much that can be done about it, being a cultural thing. Hopefully will die out as the people with these beliefs die out and that their beliefs wont be passed on to their children.

Upthecity!

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 23:12 - Apr 29 with 1516 viewslibertine

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 20:26 - Apr 29 by yescomeon

Interesting (not in a good way) reading about the Asian female vote (or lack thereof) in London (and possibly nationwide). I wouldn't imagine there is much that can be done about it, being a cultural thing. Hopefully will die out as the people with these beliefs die out and that their beliefs wont be passed on to their children.

lisa,
I may have made light of the sexist voting

is this true?

if so I am truly shocked. How can this go on if it is actually accepted

why have the kippers not made the media more aware
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 23:40 - Apr 29 with 1503 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 23:12 - Apr 29 by libertine

lisa,
I may have made light of the sexist voting

is this true?

if so I am truly shocked. How can this go on if it is actually accepted

why have the kippers not made the media more aware

There is a fairly significant problem in some parts of London (and I imagine elsewhere) regarding the rights of women within certain communities.

It appears to be linked to financial status in many cases, with women from certain backgrounds and of lower income levels often being unable to communicate in English (or being severely limited) and also being under the control of fathers, brothers and husbands with little room for independence of any activity, let alone voting.

I am not sure what can be done, other than has been pointed out, it is hoped that younger women within those communities will rebel (I mean that in the best sense) against their families wishes and will exercise their rights in many ways. It is difficult, of course, in a household where the older women do not understand English, to even expect that they can ensure that voter registration is properly carried out, to give them the right to vote in the first place. There are also communities where it is widely understood that the local religious leaders give instructions to their communities with regards to their vote.

Re your UKIP question - I can't imagine that UKIP are concerned if there is a section of the immigrant community which doesn't vote - I would assume that works in their favour?
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 08:53 - Apr 30 with 1393 viewstrampie

The lovely Leanne goes into battle once more tonight having done the leaders debate, the challengers debate and then the Welsh leaders debate she is now going to be on an 'Ask Leanne Wood' show, all the leaders are having what amounts to their own show [being asked questions by an audience on their own apparently].

Leanne could be said to be currently Britain's most popular politician, a recent poll had her having the most positive feedback followed by George Osborne [benefitting from the proposed tax freeze perhaps, they particularly love that in England] has come from nowhere to second, the Green mp Caroline Lucas is in third and somewhat surprisingly Harriet Harman in fourth.
The bottom 5 consists of Cameron, Clegg, Farage, Boris Johnson and Martin McGuinness [some question should he have done the handshake].

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 09:12 - Apr 30 with 1375 viewsLohengrin

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 08:53 - Apr 30 by trampie

The lovely Leanne goes into battle once more tonight having done the leaders debate, the challengers debate and then the Welsh leaders debate she is now going to be on an 'Ask Leanne Wood' show, all the leaders are having what amounts to their own show [being asked questions by an audience on their own apparently].

Leanne could be said to be currently Britain's most popular politician, a recent poll had her having the most positive feedback followed by George Osborne [benefitting from the proposed tax freeze perhaps, they particularly love that in England] has come from nowhere to second, the Green mp Caroline Lucas is in third and somewhat surprisingly Harriet Harman in fourth.
The bottom 5 consists of Cameron, Clegg, Farage, Boris Johnson and Martin McGuinness [some question should he have done the handshake].

Sane people would question why he isn't behind bars.

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 10:54 - Apr 30 with 1325 viewsperchrockjack

Leanne is described as lovely,mcguiness? I really don't have the vocabulary but murdering hypocritical bastard comes to mind

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 11:37 - Apr 30 with 1306 viewsLohengrin

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 10:54 - Apr 30 by perchrockjack

Leanne is described as lovely,mcguiness? I really don't have the vocabulary but murdering hypocritical bastard comes to mind

Leanne Wood and McGuiness? One purported to have been involved in the receipt of arms and ammunition from the Soviet with O'Riordan in '72, the other a financial benefactor and cheerleader for the red bane.

You can usually draw a meandering dotted line between all enemies of civilization, Perch, large or small in thought or deed.

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 12:04 - Apr 30 with 1289 viewsperchrockjack

Class reply.

My point was merely epithets.

Wood is of course angelic in comparison to a true beast laughingly collecting his blood money salary.

One who ideally should have been shit.

As for for Gerry a, I'm off

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 13:19 - Apr 30 with 1268 viewsyescomeon

Contain yourself now trample. Plaid forecast for 6 seats; Dwyfor Meirionnydd, Carmarthen East and Dinefwr, Arfon, Llanelli, Ceredigion and Ynys Money and close in 2 more; Neath and Rhondda. According to this poll...

http://www.electionforecast.co.uk/tables/current_vote_by_seat.html

With 90% uncertainty mind.

Upthecity!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024