Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
English / Welsh bilingual signs 20:02 - Apr 26 with 8831 viewsDarran

These two have made me smile everyday for a month.
What a load of shite.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:49 - Apr 26 with 3254 viewsSweyns_Eye

Why is the Welsh version on top in one photo and on the bottom in the other?

Can you ask them at the hospital?

"After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set - then at least I'll own something that has always worked". Hermann Goring, 1943.
Poll: How long do you think Monk will last managing Leeds?

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:51 - Apr 26 with 3248 viewsDarran

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:49 - Apr 26 by Sweyns_Eye

Ooh I hadn't noticed that.

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:52 - Apr 26 with 3248 viewsClinton

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:49 - Apr 26 by Sweyns_Eye

How do you know which is the Welsh version?

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:54 - Apr 26 with 3240 viewsHighjack

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:52 - Apr 26 by Clinton

It's covered in saliva.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:54 - Apr 26 with 3239 viewsDarran

Fair point.

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 22:58 - Apr 26 with 3229 viewsSweyns_Eye

I'm bi-lingual mun, it's bludy obvious.

"After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set - then at least I'll own something that has always worked". Hermann Goring, 1943.
Poll: How long do you think Monk will last managing Leeds?

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:05 - Apr 26 with 3210 viewsClinton

Many years ago on my second visit to Wales, I needed to stop at the services. I remembered that on my first visit I stopped at the Gwasanethau Services on the M4 which seemed Ok. Seeing the sign I stopped at the Gwasanethau services again , but they were awful. Totally confused at the time.

Must say that the hotel chain 'Gwesty Hotel' seems to have plenty of branches on Wales, never see them over the border, I can't understand why they don't expand there, they seem to have a really strong franchise here.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:07 - Apr 26 with 3206 viewsAndy1300

Total waste of time and money all this bilingual tripe on signs and paperwork.

We can all speak English, and if someone can't then let them opt for welsh paperwork.

Be a lot cheaper

Number 1 team in Wales

Login to get fewer ads

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 07:13 - Apr 27 with 3152 viewsKilkennyjack

Every country in the world (more or less) manages just fine with 2 languages. The signs help bring the old welsh language to life - and help make wales a little more interesting than identical boring english towns from basingstoke to Carlisle. Humour is one thing but its hard to understand such hostile attitudes to the treasure that is our old language. Perhaps 800 years of conditioning have had an impact for those who cannot think for themselves. Love our old language.

Beware of the Risen People

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 07:25 - Apr 27 with 3140 viewsAndy1300

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 07:13 - Apr 27 by Kilkennyjack

Every country in the world (more or less) manages just fine with 2 languages. The signs help bring the old welsh language to life - and help make wales a little more interesting than identical boring english towns from basingstoke to Carlisle. Humour is one thing but its hard to understand such hostile attitudes to the treasure that is our old language. Perhaps 800 years of conditioning have had an impact for those who cannot think for themselves. Love our old language.

What is the point when half the time there isn't a welsh alternative word.

English works fine and it will stop a lot of confusion at busy motorway junctions etc

Not to mention having everything sent out in duplicate from DVLA etc.

When I called the DVLA to opt out of the welsh version I was told to speak to that lot in Cardiff bay.

I emailed them, stating the case that in these times of austerity, it would save us, the welsh tax payer money by only having 1 of something sent to me instead of 2, the reply I got was more or less, tough, you will keep getting 2 , just put the Welsh one in the bin.

Well done to all those fighting for the Welsh language to be imposed on us non welsh speaking majority
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 7:28]

Number 1 team in Wales

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 07:39 - Apr 27 with 3125 viewslifelong

Well said KJ.
English / Welsh bilingual signs on 07:47 - Apr 27 with 3117 viewslifelong

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 07:25 - Apr 27 by Andy1300

What is the point when half the time there isn't a welsh alternative word.

English works fine and it will stop a lot of confusion at busy motorway junctions etc

Not to mention having everything sent out in duplicate from DVLA etc.

When I called the DVLA to opt out of the welsh version I was told to speak to that lot in Cardiff bay.

I emailed them, stating the case that in these times of austerity, it would save us, the welsh tax payer money by only having 1 of something sent to me instead of 2, the reply I got was more or less, tough, you will keep getting 2 , just put the Welsh one in the bin.

Well done to all those fighting for the Welsh language to be imposed on us non welsh speaking majority
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 7:28]

Isn't it wonderful how the Welsh language has survived all these years, especially so because the English have tried so hard to get rid of it.
English / Welsh bilingual signs on 07:51 - Apr 27 with 3110 viewsAndy1300

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 07:47 - Apr 27 by lifelong

Isn't it wonderful how the Welsh language has survived all these years, especially so because the English have tried so hard to get rid of it.

Amazing.

It would make no difference to my life if it wasn't there though

In fact, it would make a positive difference by not having to read the shite
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 7:51]

Number 1 team in Wales

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 08:06 - Apr 27 with 3079 viewslifelong

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 07:51 - Apr 27 by Andy1300

Amazing.

You may think it's shite but a lot of people in Wales think it's a very important part of our history, culture and tradition.
Long may it remain.
Cymru am byth.
English / Welsh bilingual signs on 08:23 - Apr 27 with 3060 viewsDarran

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 07:51 - Apr 27 by Andy1300

Amazing.

Hehehe coincidence.

http://m.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Welsh-language-protest-English-signs-Natio

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 08:28 - Apr 27 with 3049 viewsyescomeon

I'm a non-welsh speaker but I am glad to see it there. Always shows me I am home and I feel instantly more comfortable when the signs are again bilingual. The survival of the Welsh language is a bloody miracle and should be celebrated and shown off.

Upthecity!

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 08:55 - Apr 27 with 3031 viewsPegojack

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:05 - Apr 26 by Clinton

Many years ago on my second visit to Wales, I needed to stop at the services. I remembered that on my first visit I stopped at the Gwasanethau Services on the M4 which seemed Ok. Seeing the sign I stopped at the Gwasanethau services again , but they were awful. Totally confused at the time.

Must say that the hotel chain 'Gwesty Hotel' seems to have plenty of branches on Wales, never see them over the border, I can't understand why they don't expand there, they seem to have a really strong franchise here.

Reminds me of a car journey in Germany not so long ago on the way to see the Swans play St Gallen. A Jack I was sharing the car with said "That Ausfart must be a big place, that's about the tenth sign for it we've passed on the motorway".
English / Welsh bilingual signs on 10:39 - Apr 27 with 2955 viewsperchrockjack

I d give up the Welsh language to see my country a prosperous one and not ,as Leanne says the poorest part of the UK.

Me ol fella totally Welsh speaking but it was ,as he says, the language used at home .

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 17:46 - Apr 27 with 2828 viewsLeonisGod

well said. And that's coming from an Englishman who struggles to follow basic conversation (in Welsh, I can just about manage English).

It's your history ffs, embrace it and be proud!
English / Welsh bilingual signs on 17:49 - Apr 27 with 2823 viewsLeonisGod

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 10:39 - Apr 27 by perchrockjack

I d give up the Welsh language to see my country a prosperous one and not ,as Leanne says the poorest part of the UK.

Me ol fella totally Welsh speaking but it was ,as he says, the language used at home .

The two aren't related perchy, no need to give up the language. Making Wales prosperous is a whole different kettle of fish.
English / Welsh bilingual signs on 18:23 - Apr 27 with 2794 viewsperchrockjack

No ,my point is that having a language that a minority can or want to speak is of no significance apart from nostalgia and hiraeth.

We don't need bilingual anything as Welsh will be spoken in Welsh speaking areas and homes like my dad s was.

We do need an economy that s not the poorest in the UK .language is not the panacea some think it is.
Why an Irish avatar .

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 18:30 - Apr 27 with 2793 viewslifelong

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 18:23 - Apr 27 by perchrockjack

No ,my point is that having a language that a minority can or want to speak is of no significance apart from nostalgia and hiraeth.

We don't need bilingual anything as Welsh will be spoken in Welsh speaking areas and homes like my dad s was.

We do need an economy that s not the poorest in the UK .language is not the panacea some think it is.
Why an Irish avatar .

Why do you dislike the Welsh Language so much?.. very strange.
English / Welsh bilingual signs on 18:34 - Apr 27 with 2786 viewsperchrockjack

Fog.
I don't.

It's your perception,so please read what I say .

I don't see it as a priority ,I don't see the point of bilingualism.

Wales last problem is the percentage of Welsh speakers.

We re off out soon . We ll lock horns when we return home from hols

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 18:41 - Apr 27 with 2773 viewslifelong

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 18:34 - Apr 27 by perchrockjack

Fog.
I don't.

It's your perception,so please read what I say .

I don't see it as a priority ,I don't see the point of bilingualism.

Wales last problem is the percentage of Welsh speakers.

We re off out soon . We ll lock horns when we return home from hols

I do read what you say and you always seem to be having a dig at most thing Welsh, I just don't understand why?
English / Welsh bilingual signs on 19:04 - Apr 27 with 2757 viewsperchrockjack

Wrong.

When I have a dig, as you call it, you d better stay away from me.

I can be pretty brutal.

In no way would I slag off my country per se .i am offering an opinion I know many share.

Try this rig. Wales is a beautiful,land, we aren't a bad lot although painfully insular.

You can criticise your own but God help anyone else doing it. Scouser so, I remember are cracking at this. Rip the city to shreds but being proud, they ll splatter anyone else doing it.
I'm very proud of my roots ..ask proses or Lorraine but I ain't blind or stupid.

You still go to chapel

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024