Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Official Rugby World Cup Thread 06:22 - Sep 17 with 81960 viewsSwansNZ

Will anyone beat the All Blacks? NO
Will Wales get out of the group? YES
Does anyone care? Quite a few.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2015 19:54]

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 19:38 - Oct 13 with 1908 viewsSwansNZ

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 14:22 - Oct 13 by Uxbridge

Struggling to think of anyone, Jason Robinson apart, who has come from League and genuinely become world class in Union. At least in the North. Bit different in Aus, they've had a few. Sonny Bill has done alright for NZ, and who was that lock they had a couple of years ago?

I remember when Iestyn Harries came down, the big talk was about Cunningham joining him (and joining Swansea IIRC). Hooker in league. Slated as a scrum half if moved to Union. Shows how different the scrums are eh.

Not many have gone the other way lately that I can recall, but most of the Welsh boys who went up there in the 80s/90s seemed to do very well. League's certainly way less technical/tactical than Union though.

Brad Thorn was the NZ lock, who started in League, went to Union, back to League and back to Union.

Different sports, requiring different skill sets and physiques, which is why you don’t get many players going either way, and those that do, often struggle. Props in league are built to run the ball up and tackle, so don’t require the build to “prop” the scrum up — are they fitter? Possibly, but who knows (or cares), they do tend to come off a couple of times each game for a rest.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:20 - Oct 13 with 1866 viewsPacemaker

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 19:38 - Oct 13 by SwansNZ

Brad Thorn was the NZ lock, who started in League, went to Union, back to League and back to Union.

Different sports, requiring different skill sets and physiques, which is why you don’t get many players going either way, and those that do, often struggle. Props in league are built to run the ball up and tackle, so don’t require the build to “prop” the scrum up — are they fitter? Possibly, but who knows (or cares), they do tend to come off a couple of times each game for a rest.

Allan Bateman regarded by fans of both codes including fans of Cronulla Sharks in Australia as one of the few players who truly excelled in both codes. Didn't miss many tackles and could glide through any defence, one of my all time favourite players to play for Wales.

Still as fit as hell despite being almost fifty and an absolute gent.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:27 - Oct 13 with 1853 viewsRancid

Didn't Wendell Sailor convert from League to Union and then back to league again.Successfully too apart from the drugs slur whilst in Union.
The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:30 - Oct 13 with 1845 viewsmonmouth

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:20 - Oct 13 by Pacemaker

Allan Bateman regarded by fans of both codes including fans of Cronulla Sharks in Australia as one of the few players who truly excelled in both codes. Didn't miss many tackles and could glide through any defence, one of my all time favourite players to play for Wales.

Still as fit as hell despite being almost fifty and an absolute gent.

If Wales had kept him (Batman), Jiffy, Dai Young, Stuart Evans, Scott Q, Devereux, Hadley and Moriarty P away from league the 90s disaster might have been averted. The WRU has been so shit for so long. At least with Lewis punted things may get better. At least Gareth Davies knows his arse from his elbow.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:34 - Oct 13 with 1831 viewsRancid

John Devereux.What a centre he was.Friends with my father.I'll never forget that hand off in the world cup on Michael Lynagh maybe??He almost took his nose off.Great player just like batman.
The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 23:25 - Oct 13 with 1803 viewsUxbridge

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 19:38 - Oct 13 by SwansNZ

That's the chappy. Aye agreed.

Bateman eh. What a player. Imagine him being available for Saturday.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:19 - Oct 15 with 1700 viewsDevz00

WALES TEAM TO PLAY SOUTH AFRICA

Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Tyler Morgan (Newport Gwent Dragons), Jamie Roberts (Harlequins), George North (Northampton Saints), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Luke Charteris (Racing 92), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (CAPT) (Cardiff Blues), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons).

Replacements: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Paul James (Ospreys), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Bradley Davies (Wasps), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues), Rhys Priestland (Bath Rugby), James Hook (Gloucester Rugby).

Genetically, paedophiles have more genes in common with crabs than they do with you and me. Now that is scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:32 - Oct 15 with 1693 viewsperchrockjack

Its a sensible selection given the circumstances.

Just hope GJ scrums better or it ll be carnage.

Bokke will target him for sure and much depend on how BARNES refs the breakdown and set piece.

I m not that big a fan of BARNES.

Just hope Argies put an end to the Paddy bandwagon . Looks like Sexton MIGHT play after all but he ll be a massive risk.

France? who fookn knows. Logic says Blecks will smash them but you never know.

Oz will comfortably beat the Jocks- hopefully..

I actually think Argentina could get to final

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Login to get fewer ads

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:40 - Oct 15 with 1689 viewsmonmouth

100% cementball team. I hope Dan B brings his kicking boots.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:43 - Oct 15 with 1682 viewsperchrockjack

No option though money, is there.

The two bookie centres will be looking forward to smashing Tyler.

Could be really bad day, but who knows.

Btw, Bateman as graceful a centre as I ve seen .

Massive massive loss to Wales at that time.

Saw him play for wire and just beautiful to watch

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:36 - Oct 15 with 1666 viewsmonmouth

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:43 - Oct 15 by perchrockjack

No option though money, is there.

The two bookie centres will be looking forward to smashing Tyler.

Could be really bad day, but who knows.

Btw, Bateman as graceful a centre as I ve seen .

Massive massive loss to Wales at that time.

Saw him play for wire and just beautiful to watch

Oh aye, it's the best we could do, but I'm glad garland has gone full cement. It's too late to unsettle the programmed robots now with anything as complicated as thinking for themselves and running for space instead of contact. Barry John must be turning in his pub.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:42 - Oct 15 with 1653 viewsperchrockjack

Lol.

At least were lucky enough to see baz.

I remember being at a international at arms park and heard Watkins...Barry John....East v west.takes me back.

Anyway, just hope we give it our all.

Nice to see the abs in gower

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:43 - Oct 15 with 1656 viewsJoe_bradshaw

If only Jonathan Davies wasn't so brittle. Along with Fofana he's that rare breed of classy, elusive centres so lacking in the modern game.

1/2d is a massive loss with his angles of running from full back as well.

Considering all we've done very well so far.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:45 - Oct 15 with 1650 viewsperchrockjack

Yes but cruciate can happen to the strongest but Liam w really does seem brittle.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:32 - Oct 15 with 1634 viewsdickythorpe

Liam seems to be one of these players that "cant take a knock".

Nothing to do with not being "hard" its just the game is littered with players who seemingly get injured easily.

Can anyone remember the centre Tim Michael of the All Whites? He was a tall man with a great build and should have gone on to represent Wales. However nearly everytime he went full pelt or got tackled there was need for a trainer and he rarely finished a match.
Wayne Proctor and Nigel Walker are other examples, if they made a tackle 9 times out of 10 they were like Bambi on ice!!!

It just happens to some, and has nothing to do with lack of "guts" .
The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 17:03 - Oct 15 with 1596 viewsperchrockjack

dicky.

Where pray tell me have I suggested Liam is short of guts. THE OPPOSITE is true.

Hes too brave for his own good

As for Nige..what a runner but he tackled as often as I did. Once a game

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 20:21 - Oct 15 with 1548 viewsdickythorpe

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 17:03 - Oct 15 by perchrockjack

dicky.

Where pray tell me have I suggested Liam is short of guts. THE OPPOSITE is true.

Hes too brave for his own good

As for Nige..what a runner but he tackled as often as I did. Once a game

I have not suggested you suggested Liam was short of guts.

I was neither suggesting the suggestion that Liam was short of guts.

Why would you suggest such a suggestion that I wasn't suggesting.

This is going to take some digesting.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2015 20:23]
The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:18 - Oct 15 with 1530 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:32 - Oct 15 by dickythorpe

Liam seems to be one of these players that "cant take a knock".

Nothing to do with not being "hard" its just the game is littered with players who seemingly get injured easily.

Can anyone remember the centre Tim Michael of the All Whites? He was a tall man with a great build and should have gone on to represent Wales. However nearly everytime he went full pelt or got tackled there was need for a trainer and he rarely finished a match.
Wayne Proctor and Nigel Walker are other examples, if they made a tackle 9 times out of 10 they were like Bambi on ice!!!

It just happens to some, and has nothing to do with lack of "guts" .

Liam Williams doesn't give me much confidence so maybe it's a blessing in disguise.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:20 - Oct 15 with 1525 viewsSwansNZ

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:18 - Oct 15 by Brynmill_Jack

Liam Williams doesn't give me much confidence so maybe it's a blessing in disguise.

and yet Cuthbert has stayed injury free

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 02:16 - Oct 16 with 1479 viewsSwansNZ

"Rugby World Cup - France v All Blacks: Les Bleus 'dismiss' head coach Philippe Saint-Andre ahead of quarter finals

France's head coach Philippe Saint-Andre has effectively been "sacked" according to media reports in Europe.

British and French media are reporting an apparent player mutiny ahead of Sunday morning's World Cup quarter final against the All Blacks in Cardiff.

English papers are quoting their French counterparts in claiming Saint-Andre has been "overthrown" and that while he is still likely to be in the coaches' box at Millennium Stadium, the players have turned their back on him and are ignoring his instructions and game plans."...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11530264

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 06:01 - Oct 16 with 1463 viewsjack247

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 02:16 - Oct 16 by SwansNZ

"Rugby World Cup - France v All Blacks: Les Bleus 'dismiss' head coach Philippe Saint-Andre ahead of quarter finals

France's head coach Philippe Saint-Andre has effectively been "sacked" according to media reports in Europe.

British and French media are reporting an apparent player mutiny ahead of Sunday morning's World Cup quarter final against the All Blacks in Cardiff.

English papers are quoting their French counterparts in claiming Saint-Andre has been "overthrown" and that while he is still likely to be in the coaches' box at Millennium Stadium, the players have turned their back on him and are ignoring his instructions and game plans."...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11530264

Lads
The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 07:57 - Oct 16 with 1441 viewsorion3016

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 06:01 - Oct 16 by jack247

Lads

The all blacks are possibly fearing the worst. An uncontrolled unorganised French team

Be over there now after

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 08:20 - Oct 16 with 1431 viewsSwansNZ

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 07:57 - Oct 16 by orion3016

The all blacks are possibly fearing the worst. An uncontrolled unorganised French team

Those French are strange people, they did the same last World Cup, and reached the final - with a bit of help from half French Alain Rolland

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 08:50 - Oct 16 with 1418 viewsJackSomething

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:40 - Oct 15 by monmouth

100% cementball team. I hope Dan B brings his kicking boots.

Does anyone remember much from the 12-6 win over them last Autumn? I don't, because it was a pretty dire match to watch. Bite your hand off for a repeat tomorrow though...

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 08:56 - Oct 16 with 1413 viewsmonmouth

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:20 - Oct 15 by SwansNZ

and yet Cuthbert has stayed injury free

Cuthbert and North are playing entirely on reputation. They probably need dropped really to get their confidence back but we have no one else. Shame Walker is made of glass otherwise surely Cuthbert would be carrying the water.

Lets hope Saturday is remembered as the Cuthbert and North show...for the right reasons.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024