Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Official Rugby World Cup Thread 06:22 - Sep 17 with 81740 viewsSwansNZ

Will anyone beat the All Blacks? NO
Will Wales get out of the group? YES
Does anyone care? Quite a few.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2015 19:54]

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 00:00 - Sep 22 with 1893 viewsSwansNZ

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 23:54 - Sep 21 by Rancid

We have a chance of beating England but i don't think we will.And I'm certain we won't beat Australia.Fiji will be a difficult game as well so it's an early exit for the boys I think.

Yep, I think if we lose Saturday, that’s it. If England lose, I can still see them possibly beating Australia.

We beat Fiji by 60 last time mun — easy (I won’t mention the WC before that)

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 07:52 - Sep 22 with 1858 viewsorion3016

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 00:00 - Sep 22 by SwansNZ

Yep, I think if we lose Saturday, that’s it. If England lose, I can still see them possibly beating Australia.

Yes Saturday is looking like our cup final in only our 2nd match. The positive is that England were very ordinary against Fiji
If you're unlucky with injuries like we have been so far it's all about strength in depth, and outside our normal player pool we are quite a way behind others
Cmon Wales

Be over there now after

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 08:13 - Sep 22 with 1849 viewsmonmouth

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 00:00 - Sep 22 by SwansNZ

Fiji are a different side now. If they had a kicker I think they would probably have beaten England ref bias notwithstanding. They will be targeting us. We need a bonus point win there too.

My view is that our best hope is to somehow look for a bonus point on Saturday (I really don't think we have a hope in hell of beating them) and then hope some of the injuries clear up to have real shunt at Oz, who are probably weaker than they've ever been at a world cup.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 08:46 - Sep 22 with 1833 viewsSwansNZ

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 08:13 - Sep 22 by monmouth

Fiji are a different side now. If they had a kicker I think they would probably have beaten England ref bias notwithstanding. They will be targeting us. We need a bonus point win there too.

My view is that our best hope is to somehow look for a bonus point on Saturday (I really don't think we have a hope in hell of beating them) and then hope some of the injuries clear up to have real shunt at Oz, who are probably weaker than they've ever been at a world cup.

I think we have a better chance of beating England - before we get more injuries. Not sure what the latest is on the injury front, hopefully we'll be able to field a near full strength 15.

Australia are a funny side. Beat the All Blacks one week, get hammered the next. Their scrum is still suspect. We always just fall short against them - so if we beat England, a losing bonus point to Aussies will hopefully be enough anyway.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:07 - Sep 22 with 1821 viewsSwansNZ

Tipuric or Lydiate?

Tipuric for me.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:25 - Sep 22 with 1813 viewsmonmouth

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:07 - Sep 22 by SwansNZ

Tipuric or Lydiate?

Tipuric for me.

Cement would rather mate his meat with a bacon slicer than not pick Lydiate. Tipuric is one of our few in form players but unless Warburton or Lydiate is dead, he will almost certainly be on the bench.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:08 - Sep 22 with 1799 viewsUxbridge

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 08:13 - Sep 22 by monmouth

Beat England. Lose to Fiji. It is written.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 20:36 - Sep 22 with 1739 viewssherpajacob

Fiji would probably have lost twice by the time they play us. So hopefully will be demotivated.

We could beat England and still not qualify, we could lose and still qualify.

However if it comes down to points difference England play uruguay,knowing what they need to do. It may be shades of west Germany v Austria 82, or Argentina v Peru 78.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Login to get fewer ads

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:27 - Sep 22 with 1723 viewsUxbridge

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 20:36 - Sep 22 by sherpajacob

Fiji would probably have lost twice by the time they play us. So hopefully will be demotivated.

We could beat England and still not qualify, we could lose and still qualify.

However if it comes down to points difference England play uruguay,knowing what they need to do. It may be shades of west Germany v Austria 82, or Argentina v Peru 78.

It's unlikely to come down to points difference, unless it's a drawn match or a three-way tie.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:31 - Sep 22 with 1719 viewsdickythorpe

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:27 - Sep 22 by Uxbridge

It's unlikely to come down to points difference, unless it's a drawn match or a three-way tie.

So it could then....
The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:37 - Sep 22 with 1714 viewssherpajacob

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:27 - Sep 22 by Uxbridge

If England beat Wales, Australia beat England and Wales beat AustrAlia, or any similar combination, we could well hAve a three way tie.

That's why bonus points could be crucial

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:07 - Sep 22 with 1698 viewsmonmouth

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:37 - Sep 22 by sherpajacob

If England beat Wales, Australia beat England and Wales beat AustrAlia, or any similar combination, we could well hAve a three way tie.

That's why bonus points could be crucial

Bonus points definitely, but unlikely (I think Engerturd will win all their games). Points difference incredibly unlikely (plus of course if that scenario were possible Oz and Wales could actually manufacture by happy accident a convincing result in the last game that knocks Enger out and sends both through.)

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:17 - Sep 22 with 1690 viewsSwansNZ

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:07 - Sep 22 by monmouth

Bonus points definitely, but unlikely (I think Engerturd will win all their games). Points difference incredibly unlikely (plus of course if that scenario were possible Oz and Wales could actually manufacture by happy accident a convincing result in the last game that knocks Enger out and sends both through.)

Not if on points difference they can't, as England play Uruguay after Wales play Australia

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:35 - Sep 22 with 1676 viewsmonmouth

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:17 - Sep 22 by SwansNZ

Not if on points difference they can't, as England play Uruguay after Wales play Australia

No I mean they can stop it needing points difference, four tries a side whoever wins, England would be toast.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:22 - Sep 23 with 1612 viewsbuilthjack

Crazy that the final group games are played at different times. For television I guess, but could lead to a fixed result, playing a weaker team etc.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:27 - Sep 23 with 1610 viewsJackSomething

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:22 - Sep 23 by builthjack

Crazy that the final group games are played at different times. For television I guess, but could lead to a fixed result, playing a weaker team etc.

I've been banging that particular drum for a while now. Don't suggest that rugby could learn something from football though. It doesn't go down well with the hardcore.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:48 - Sep 23 with 1600 viewsUxbridge

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:22 - Sep 23 by builthjack

I agree, although I don't think it actually matters in this scenario though. England could send their U10's out and get a bonus point vs Uruguay.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:54 - Sep 23 with 1596 viewsdickythorpe

Ford to be dropped for Farrell - I'd be happy with this as when England are up against it his head goes!
Having said that Ford isnt setting the world alight at 10.

Massive game, very close to call and it could be tailor made for Biggar and Roberts to guide us to victory.

Brown is one hell of a player for them mind.
The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:56 - Sep 23 with 1581 viewsmonmouth

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:54 - Sep 23 by dickythorpe

Ford to be dropped for Farrell - I'd be happy with this as when England are up against it his head goes!
Having said that Ford isnt setting the world alight at 10.

Massive game, very close to call and it could be tailor made for Biggar and Roberts to guide us to victory.

Brown is one hell of a player for them mind.

It'll be decided in the forwards and whether we can cope with their driving maul and ball carrying bench players at 60 mins. Plus what the ref decides at the scrum.

Farrell, Burgess and Barrett will be picked solely to nullify Roberts and North coming down the 10/12 channel, so the backs won't be doing much from either side I suspect, unless Burgess goes walkabout as he hasn't a clue about playing union at centre. Still can't see a Wales win from any perspective in this game....which would make it all the sweeter of course.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 14:46 - Sep 23 with 1540 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:56 - Sep 23 by monmouth

It'll be decided in the forwards and whether we can cope with their driving maul and ball carrying bench players at 60 mins. Plus what the ref decides at the scrum.

Farrell, Burgess and Barrett will be picked solely to nullify Roberts and North coming down the 10/12 channel, so the backs won't be doing much from either side I suspect, unless Burgess goes walkabout as he hasn't a clue about playing union at centre. Still can't see a Wales win from any perspective in this game....which would make it all the sweeter of course.

I have an awful confession to make.

I decided when watching NZ against Argentina that if we can't win it, then I would prefer to see England win it than NZ

There's something about NZ I can't bear - they're like the Chelsea of Rugby - snidey, cocky, get away with murder.

And those completely blacked out boots are a stupid pretension.
The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 15:35 - Sep 23 with 1524 viewsUxbridge

Japan are giving Scotland a bit of a run here. 12-7 down just after HT, but Japan are playing all the rugby.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 17:02 - Sep 23 with 1508 viewsUxbridge

Well that didn't last long! Big loss for Japan when the #8 went off. They lost all their impetus after that.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 17:07 - Sep 23 with 1505 viewsbuilthjack

6 weeks and 2 days is a hell of a long time for a competition with only 20 teams, and a few of them being part timers.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 17:21 - Sep 23 with 1503 viewsshandyjack

TV scheduling has ruined world cup for some teams, Japan had too play just 4 days after beating SA and were always going to lose against a fresh Scotland. Why they can't play like to football tournaments and play group games on the same day to make it fair

Poll: Expectation for the season

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 17:29 - Sep 23 with 1497 viewsUxbridge

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 17:21 - Sep 23 by shandyjack

TV scheduling has ruined world cup for some teams, Japan had too play just 4 days after beating SA and were always going to lose against a fresh Scotland. Why they can't play like to football tournaments and play group games on the same day to make it fair

Yeah agree that would have been a massive reason for why Japan fell away. That and being Pro12 refereed out of the game at times.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024