Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees 10:31 - Oct 3 with 17287 viewsdailew

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Council-homes-set-house-refugees/story-2

Disgusting.

Andrea Lewis, cabinet member for next generation services, said: "You can't help but to be moved and horrified by footage on the news of refugees risking their lives to escape war and persecution for better lives.

What a gullible idiot.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 11:17 - Oct 6 with 1234 viewsdailew

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:00 - Oct 5 by Uxbridge

I'm proposing that a few houses for a few families in desperate need of avoiding a warzone is a complete sideshow.

Not a sideshow for the people who lose out.

Probably doesn't effect you much and that's why you don't care about them.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 11:44]

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 11:32 - Oct 6 with 1221 viewsFlashberryjack

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 21:52 - Oct 5 by londonlisa2001

Islamophobic nutter is what I wrote (with a few other adjectives thrown in).

Someone who hates Moslems, which she does. Irrationally. With every ounce of her being.

Whether she is an "Islamophobic nutter" or not, she does bring up some interesting points and some disturbing figures.
Again, is an "Islamaphobic" someone that speaks against the teachings of Islam ?
By the same definition, do we have a name for Muslims that speak against Christianity ?
"Christianaphobic" maybe.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 11:47 - Oct 6 with 1202 viewsdailew

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 11:32 - Oct 6 by Flashberryjack

Whether she is an "Islamophobic nutter" or not, she does bring up some interesting points and some disturbing figures.
Again, is an "Islamaphobic" someone that speaks against the teachings of Islam ?
By the same definition, do we have a name for Muslims that speak against Christianity ?

It's a pejorative term invented by the PC brigade for anyone who criticizes the religion of peace.

They were finding the term Wacist increasingly difficult to pin on them so needed another one.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:21 - Oct 6 with 1188 viewsUxbridge

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 11:17 - Oct 6 by dailew

Not a sideshow for the people who lose out.

Probably doesn't effect you much and that's why you don't care about them.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 11:44]

You know nothing about me old chap.

So, I'll ask again, who exactly is losing out. Empty houses, no waiting lists for those particular houses. Let's be honest here, for you this is nothing to do with the people on the housing list, this is all to do with Syrians coming to Swansea.

So, playing along with the waiting list schtick for a moment, what happens if this handful of Syrian families don't get a house, how does this solve anything? We still have an eightfold shortfall. There's the real issue here, but sadly it gets ignored.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:23 - Oct 6 with 1183 viewsDarran

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:21 - Oct 6 by Uxbridge

So, I'll ask again, who exactly is losing out. Empty houses, no waiting lists for those particular houses. Let's be honest here, for you this is nothing to do with the people on the housing list, this is all to do with Syrians coming to Swansea.

So, playing along with the waiting list schtick for a moment, what happens if this handful of Syrian families don't get a house, how does this solve anything? We still have an eightfold shortfall. There's the real issue here, but sadly it gets ignored.

I know a couple with a small child that are on the list after losing their business and are going to be splitting up soon if they don't get out of her parents house.

They're losing out.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:55 - Oct 6 with 1162 viewsdailew

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:21 - Oct 6 by Uxbridge

It's been explained to you in several posts who is losing out yet you continue to labour under the delusion that foreigners can be bought in and given free housing, health care, education etc with no cost at all to the local populace.

You're either very thick or trolling.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:27 - Oct 6 with 1135 viewsJackSomething

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:55 - Oct 6 by dailew

It's been explained to you in several posts who is losing out yet you continue to labour under the delusion that foreigners can be bought in and given free housing, health care, education etc with no cost at all to the local populace.

You came across as more intelligent when you were just down-arrowing posts to be honest.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:52 - Oct 6 with 1118 viewsUxbridge

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:23 - Oct 6 by Darran

I know a couple with a small child that are on the list after losing their business and are going to be splitting up soon if they don't get out of her parents house.

They're losing out.

Terrible news. And exactly the sort of case which highlights the desperate need for more social housing across the UK, and particularly in Swansea.

However they're not losing out to a family of refugees.

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 14:01 - Oct 6 with 1111 viewsUxbridge

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 12:55 - Oct 6 by dailew

Heh. The ultimate compliment. I'm touched.

Yep, there'll be a cost to the taxpayer of accepting some refugees. There's also a cost to the taxpayer for any foreign aid budget. No dispute whatsoever.

At least we've got to the crux of it. You resent British taxpayer money, under any circumstances, being spent on non-British nationals. Fair enough, a valid viewpoint and shared by many although not one I agree with.

Globally speaking, we're a pretty affluent country. Any poverty is largely relative and often self-inflicted by policy. Any money we spend is, relatively speaking, a piffling amount when compared to GDP, welfare bill or any other indicator you choose.

And there we have the crux of it. As a nation, we're short of housing, healthcare is at breaking point in parts, school class sizes are increasing. These are all conscious choices by the Government. We could resolve them relatively simply although of course it would cost, and there isn't the will ... not in terms of properly tackling tax evasion of the multinationals, or of a progressive tax system, or of a populace largely willing to accept an increased tax burden. So, the debate becomes a scramble for the crumbs, and frankly it's ridiculous as vast swathes of the lower earners are the ones who are being screwed by their Governments own policies, not by a handful of people worse off than they are. Orwell would be proud of the way this has been spun.

Hopefully that's clear enough as honestly I couldn't spell it out clearer if I used sticklebricks.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 14:16 - Oct 6 with 1098 viewslondonlisa2001

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 10:19 - Oct 6 by Lohengrin

I wouldn't say her feelings were entirely irrational, Lisa. She's a Maronite Christian; I've no doubt that she's been shaped by experiences during her formative years in the Lebanon. She's a fanatic for sure but that hardly makes her unique amongst the hundreds of thousands of such products of the region.

She rather reminds of Melanie Phillips, only with a more expensive hairdresser and a vastly expanded wardrobe.

She has made a living out of spewing total hatred. She makes up, exaggerates and distorts facts in order to spread that hatred to people who are unable to think for themselves.

Even one of her fellow Fox presenters described her as 'The Most Dangerous Person in Society' for the extent of her anti Moslem hatred.

Melanie Phillips is a Moslem hugging right-on trendy lefty in comparison.
Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 14:34 - Oct 6 with 1088 viewslondonlisa2001

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 11:32 - Oct 6 by Flashberryjack

An Islamophobe could include someone that speaks out against (or strictly, has a fear of) the teaching or tenets of Islam I guess from a dictionary definition.

However, it's not the common usage of the term no, and that was not my usage.

I for one, have absolutely no problem in anyone disagreeing with the teaching of a particular religion. Firstly, I don't agree with any religion, and secondly, leaving the 'any religion' bit to one side, I personally dislike a lot of what is wrapped up in Islam - the treatment of women or homosexuality as obvious examples.

However, I am able to differentiate the religion itself with the people that follow that religion (many of whom also probably disagree with much of it).

An Islamophobe in the sense that I used it, is someone that groups all followers of that religion together, and irrationally hates them all.

The closest parallel we have seen in recent history, is probably anti-semitism, where misinformation, lies, gross exaggerations and grouping together every follower of a religion to stir up an irrational hatred of those people, beyond any reason, resulted ultimately in the holocaust.

When you say she brings up some disturbing figures, I agree. The issue, of course, is that she has just made them up. They are not real. She has done it because that's how she makes her living - telling stupid Americans that Moslems are out to get them, are the spawn of the devil, that at least a quarter of them are terrorists, that they are 'anti American' and so on. She carries on and carries on, in increasingly strident tones, until the rednecks that love her end up chanting 'USA, USA, USA'. She then puts it all on the internet, so that people will think she's wise and interesting.

She's no more wise and interesting than the average Nazi was in the 30s.
Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 15:19 - Oct 6 with 1067 viewsMillJack

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 14:34 - Oct 6 by londonlisa2001

An Islamophobe could include someone that speaks out against (or strictly, has a fear of) the teaching or tenets of Islam I guess from a dictionary definition.

I for one, have absolutely no problem in anyone disagreeing with the teaching of a particular religion. Firstly, I don't agree with any religion, and secondly, leaving the 'any religion' bit to one side, I personally dislike a lot of what is wrapped up in Islam - the treatment of women or homosexuality as obvious examples.

However, I am able to differentiate the religion itself with the people that follow that religion (many of whom also probably disagree with much of it).

An Islamophobe in the sense that I used it, is someone that groups all followers of that religion together, and irrationally hates them all.

The closest parallel we have seen in recent history, is probably anti-semitism, where misinformation, lies, gross exaggerations and grouping together every follower of a religion to stir up an irrational hatred of those people, beyond any reason, resulted ultimately in the holocaust.

When you say she brings up some disturbing figures, I agree. The issue, of course, is that she has just made them up. They are not real. She has done it because that's how she makes her living - telling stupid Americans that Moslems are out to get them, are the spawn of the devil, that at least a quarter of them are terrorists, that they are 'anti American' and so on. She carries on and carries on, in increasingly strident tones, until the rednecks that love her end up chanting 'USA, USA, USA'. She then puts it all on the internet, so that people will think she's wise and interesting.

Give that lady some

Brilliant post!
Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 15:43 - Oct 6 with 1048 viewsFlashberryjack

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 14:34 - Oct 6 by londonlisa2001

Whilst I can't argue as to the accuracy of her figures, it seems that you know the true statistics as you've dismissed her claims out of hand.
I would estimate that 95% of all terrorist groups around the world are followers of Islam, so it is quite understandable why people are believing, if not all, but at least some of what she says.
I'm not a religious person....however do I try to live my life, as best I can, to Christian beliefs and I have no problems with other faiths, but the Islam religion seems to be the most intolerant to other beliefs, whilst asking others for more tolerance of the Muslim faith.
As I've said several times in the past "not all Muslims are terrorists but it seems that most terrorists are"

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 15:53 - Oct 6 with 1037 viewsUxbridge

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 15:43 - Oct 6 by Flashberryjack

Whilst I can't argue as to the accuracy of her figures, it seems that you know the true statistics as you've dismissed her claims out of hand.
I would estimate that 95% of all terrorist groups around the world are followers of Islam, so it is quite understandable why people are believing, if not all, but at least some of what she says.
I'm not a religious person....however do I try to live my life, as best I can, to Christian beliefs and I have no problems with other faiths, but the Islam religion seems to be the most intolerant to other beliefs, whilst asking others for more tolerance of the Muslim faith.
As I've said several times in the past "not all Muslims are terrorists but it seems that most terrorists are"

95%? Given your comment to Lisa, I assume you have some stats to back that up too? I can think of plenty on our doorstep.

Islam itself isn't intolerant. Most of its followers aren't. A small, vocal, troublesome and terrifying band are. We could say the same about the Irish catholics (albeit on a much smaller and localised scale) not so long ago, and Protestants all through the last millennium.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by living according to Christian beliefs, or how that differs from other religions really. Personally speaking I think they're all a bit barking and live my life along very simple rules ... don't be an arse (unless the recipient really deserves it), be nice, help others if you can, look after your family and friends, laugh at the basseys at all possible times, oh and don't be an arse. No religion has any monopoly on that last bit.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 16:01 - Oct 6 with 1030 viewsLohengrin

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 15:53 - Oct 6 by Uxbridge

95%? Given your comment to Lisa, I assume you have some stats to back that up too? I can think of plenty on our doorstep.

Islam itself isn't intolerant. Most of its followers aren't. A small, vocal, troublesome and terrifying band are. We could say the same about the Irish catholics (albeit on a much smaller and localised scale) not so long ago, and Protestants all through the last millennium.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by living according to Christian beliefs, or how that differs from other religions really. Personally speaking I think they're all a bit barking and live my life along very simple rules ... don't be an arse (unless the recipient really deserves it), be nice, help others if you can, look after your family and friends, laugh at the basseys at all possible times, oh and don't be an arse. No religion has any monopoly on that last bit.

When you say Islam itself, what do you mean by it?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 16:04 - Oct 6 with 1020 viewsUxbridge

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 16:01 - Oct 6 by Lohengrin

When you say Islam itself, what do you mean by it?

Well I can see where this is going to go! Bit like asking what do you mean by christianity. We'll be trading quotes from the Koran and Bible next

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 16:08 - Oct 6 with 1018 viewsLohengrin

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 16:04 - Oct 6 by Uxbridge

Well I can see where this is going to go! Bit like asking what do you mean by christianity. We'll be trading quotes from the Koran and Bible next

No, don't panic, that's not what I had in mind. Islam itself? Are you talking about the original, physical movement during the founder's lifetime or the Koran?

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 16:42 - Oct 6 with 992 viewslondonlisa2001

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 15:43 - Oct 6 by Flashberryjack

She claims that 25% of all Moslems are terrorists - sometimes she says 15% to 25%.

There are 2.7m Moslems in the UK according to the most recent census.

By her reckoning, that makes between 400,000 and 675,000 of them terrorists.

And you want me to 'prove' that figure is incorrect? Seriously? You think it's strange that I dismiss that figure out of hand?

As for the 'most terrorists are Moslem' bit - do you know that just since 2000, there have been 7 IRA terrorist incidents in the UK (excluding Northern Ireland - just mainland). And I don't include foiled plots - actual bombs.

But I don't see anyone here in the UK (and particularly in the US) lumping all Irish Catholics together and saying that 25% of them are terrorists. Actually, to be equivalent, it'd be lumping all Christians together (or even, all people from an ethnically white Christian background, irrespective of their beliefs). Who have you heard ever do that?

Every single terrorist incident is appalling beyond belief. There are small sections of the Moslem community both here and globally that are pure evil. But the vast, vast majority want the same as everyone else - to live peaceful and healthy lives with their loved ones. Stirring up hatred towards them is pretty much the most un Christian thing I can possibly imagine to be frank.
Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 16:46 - Oct 6 with 987 viewsLohengrin

"Who have you heard ever do that?"

Nu-Labour?

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 16:55 - Oct 6 with 981 viewslondonlisa2001

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 16:46 - Oct 6 by Lohengrin

"Who have you heard ever do that?"

Nu-Labour?

I have never heard anyone from Nu-Labour saying that 25% of all people from a white Christian background are terrorists or terrorist sympathisers because of the actions of the IRA.

And neither have you, so stop stirring.
Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:00 - Oct 6 with 974 viewsLohengrin

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 16:55 - Oct 6 by londonlisa2001

I have never heard anyone from Nu-Labour saying that 25% of all people from a white Christian background are terrorists or terrorist sympathisers because of the actions of the IRA.

And neither have you, so stop stirring.

I wasn't talking about fenians I was just thinking out loud about who else I could think of that would lump all those of a white, Christian background together and regard them as the enemy.

Labour. That's who sprang to mind. Labour.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:02 - Oct 6 with 967 viewsdailew

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 14:01 - Oct 6 by Uxbridge

Heh. The ultimate compliment. I'm touched.

Yep, there'll be a cost to the taxpayer of accepting some refugees. There's also a cost to the taxpayer for any foreign aid budget. No dispute whatsoever.

At least we've got to the crux of it. You resent British taxpayer money, under any circumstances, being spent on non-British nationals. Fair enough, a valid viewpoint and shared by many although not one I agree with.

Globally speaking, we're a pretty affluent country. Any poverty is largely relative and often self-inflicted by policy. Any money we spend is, relatively speaking, a piffling amount when compared to GDP, welfare bill or any other indicator you choose.

And there we have the crux of it. As a nation, we're short of housing, healthcare is at breaking point in parts, school class sizes are increasing. These are all conscious choices by the Government. We could resolve them relatively simply although of course it would cost, and there isn't the will ... not in terms of properly tackling tax evasion of the multinationals, or of a progressive tax system, or of a populace largely willing to accept an increased tax burden. So, the debate becomes a scramble for the crumbs, and frankly it's ridiculous as vast swathes of the lower earners are the ones who are being screwed by their Governments own policies, not by a handful of people worse off than they are. Orwell would be proud of the way this has been spun.

Hopefully that's clear enough as honestly I couldn't spell it out clearer if I used sticklebricks.

If the UK is such an affluent country then why is it short of housing and healthcare is at breaking point in parts?

This while borrowing £88,000,000,000 a year from future generations.

And we all know why school sizes are increasing. 10% of children being born are Muslim and 25% born abroad. So lets bring some more in and house where local people could be housed.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:11 - Oct 6 with 959 viewsUxbridge

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:02 - Oct 6 by dailew

If the UK is such an affluent country then why is it short of housing and healthcare is at breaking point in parts?

This while borrowing £88,000,000,000 a year from future generations.

And we all know why school sizes are increasing. 10% of children being born are Muslim and 25% born abroad. So lets bring some more in and house where local people could be housed.

It's short because Thatcher sold off hundreds of thousands of them, and successive Governments have failed to build them. Local councils have been equally useless. Healthcare is at breaking point because it has been both underfunded and poorly run.

Not sure what being Muslim has to do with it. Do you think there can be such a person as a British Muslim, and do you think all Muslim's should leave the UK?

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:15 - Oct 6 with 955 viewsUxbridge

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 16:08 - Oct 6 by Lohengrin

No, don't panic, that's not what I had in mind. Islam itself? Are you talking about the original, physical movement during the founder's lifetime or the Koran?

To be honest, we're going way beyond my limited knowledge here old chap.

I've worked with many people who are Muslim over the years (my old London office was pretty much majority so), so I can only go on my experiences and the little I've read, but the little I know and have read doesn't depict a religion that is inherently more intolerant, expansionist or militant than Christianity. The vast majority (actually, all I've met) of Muslims I've met have been lovely, peace loving people who are often far more worried about any extremists than I ever have been.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:16 - Oct 6 with 949 viewsDarran

I've got some lovely Muslim friends.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024