Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees 10:31 - Oct 3 with 17285 viewsdailew

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Council-homes-set-house-refugees/story-2

Disgusting.

Andrea Lewis, cabinet member for next generation services, said: "You can't help but to be moved and horrified by footage on the news of refugees risking their lives to escape war and persecution for better lives.

What a gullible idiot.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:21 - Oct 3 with 964 viewsFlashberryjack

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:11 - Oct 3 by exiledclaseboy

Ah, the theory that ISIS is despatching its finest on the refugee trail to infiltrate Europe. It's perfect for a series of increasingly untrue Facebook memes.

So let me get this straight.....terrorists have never been known to infiltrate their enemies countries, then become what's known as sleepers, then suddenly emerge to inflict acts of terrorism from within when they receive their orders.
Thankfully all our government departments would/should be aware of this threat.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:23 - Oct 3 with 957 viewsexiledclaseboy

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:21 - Oct 3 by Flashberryjack

So let me get this straight.....terrorists have never been known to infiltrate their enemies countries, then become what's known as sleepers, then suddenly emerge to inflict acts of terrorism from within when they receive their orders.

I think you'll find they have you know.

Poll: Tory leader

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:27 - Oct 3 with 949 viewsskippyjack

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:21 - Oct 3 by Flashberryjack

Not really.. terrorists in Syria have better technological resources.. never mind the terrorists who are earning top class degrees in top UK Universities and actively joining and supporting ISIS.. who actively want to decimate the western way of life..

Actually true..

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:27 - Oct 3 with 947 viewsFlashberryjack

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:23 - Oct 3 by exiledclaseboy

I think you'll find they have you know.

Who have ?

Hello

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:27 - Oct 3 with 947 viewsblueytheblue

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:11 - Oct 3 by exiledclaseboy

Ah, the theory that ISIS is despatching its finest on the refugee trail to infiltrate Europe. It's perfect for a series of increasingly untrue Facebook memes.

Is it?

Seriously question - how do you, I or those facebook warriors know the reality of the situation?

Keith Vaz railed against those "demonising" Romanians and Bulgarians by the tacky PR stunt of hugging the first guy through when the new arrangements came into place. A guy who got a job washing cars - which he quit after one day and his whereabouts is currently unknown. Who quit his job after it was revealed he had a criminal record for assaulting his then girlfriend.

The fact is, unless checks and balances are in place it does nobody a service to keep things the way it is. It doesn't help Britains when non-refugees abuse the system nor does it help genuine refugees when economic migrants get moved across over them.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:30 - Oct 3 with 929 viewsexiledclaseboy

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:27 - Oct 3 by blueytheblue

Is it?

Seriously question - how do you, I or those facebook warriors know the reality of the situation?

Keith Vaz railed against those "demonising" Romanians and Bulgarians by the tacky PR stunt of hugging the first guy through when the new arrangements came into place. A guy who got a job washing cars - which he quit after one day and his whereabouts is currently unknown. Who quit his job after it was revealed he had a criminal record for assaulting his then girlfriend.

The fact is, unless checks and balances are in place it does nobody a service to keep things the way it is. It doesn't help Britains when non-refugees abuse the system nor does it help genuine refugees when economic migrants get moved across over them.

But there are checks and balances in place for all non-EU migrants. You're a sensible fella, Bluey. You know this to be true.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:31 - Oct 3 with 926 viewsblueytheblue

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:30 - Oct 3 by exiledclaseboy

But there are checks and balances in place for all non-EU migrants. You're a sensible fella, Bluey. You know this to be true.

Economic migrants, yes. Except as Vaz showed, criminal record checking wasn't quite a on the ball, hmm?

Even so, those checks and balances are for migrants.

What are the checks and balances for claimed refugees?

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:33 - Oct 3 with 922 viewsexiledclaseboy

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:31 - Oct 3 by blueytheblue

Economic migrants, yes. Except as Vaz showed, criminal record checking wasn't quite a on the ball, hmm?

Even so, those checks and balances are for migrants.

What are the checks and balances for claimed refugees?

In the Vaz situation ( assuming it's true) they're EU citizens with freedom of movement. A different situations.

Refugees will be assessed as asylum seekers.

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:34 - Oct 3 with 920 viewsskippyjack

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:27 - Oct 3 by blueytheblue

Is it?

you mean checking documents that can be 'specifically' made and be undetectable.. because they're made from the same material as the 'genuine' ones.

the EU money men want these migrants in Europe anyway.. they'll pay them less

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:41 - Oct 3 with 908 viewsblueytheblue

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:33 - Oct 3 by exiledclaseboy

In the Vaz situation ( assuming it's true) they're EU citizens with freedom of movement. A different situations.

Refugees will be assessed as asylum seekers.

Well, my point would be freedom of movement can't be absolute, nor is it.

Now the refugees will be assessed as asylum seekers - the system is already overburdened by asylum claims pre-dating Syria. Will all claims be thoroughly investigated? I'd wager not, more a cursory glance. That is the problem - genuine refugees fleeing won't be hanging around to sort the paperwork out, will they?

So the question is, how can you determine who is a genuine refugee and who is lying to get into Britain. In the event of doubt - which most cases would fall into - in or out?

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:46 - Oct 3 with 897 viewscontroversial_jack

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 14:36 - Oct 3 by exiledclaseboy

The vast majority of people on the social housing waiting lists aren't homeless. They're waiting for a move. In fact I don't think you can get on the list if you don't already have a current address. Conflating the problem of homelessness with a lack of social housing and then using that to argue against making a handful of homes available to refugees is simplistic and disingenuous. Par for the course on here really.

They won't get that move now!
Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:48 - Oct 3 with 893 viewsFlashberryjack

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:41 - Oct 3 by blueytheblue

Well, my point would be freedom of movement can't be absolute, nor is it.

Now the refugees will be assessed as asylum seekers - the system is already overburdened by asylum claims pre-dating Syria. Will all claims be thoroughly investigated? I'd wager not, more a cursory glance. That is the problem - genuine refugees fleeing won't be hanging around to sort the paperwork out, will they?

So the question is, how can you determine who is a genuine refugee and who is lying to get into Britain. In the event of doubt - which most cases would fall into - in or out?

Forgive my ignorance....but how would you go about checking criminal records of someone claiming to come from Syria...I thought the country was is in total turmoil.
Haven't many of the refugees refused to give fingerprints ?

Hello

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:52 - Oct 3 with 888 viewsblueytheblue

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:48 - Oct 3 by Flashberryjack

Forgive my ignorance....but how would you go about checking criminal records of someone claiming to come from Syria...I thought the country was is in total turmoil.
Haven't many of the refugees refused to give fingerprints ?

That's exactly my point.

Was somebody tortured by neighbours for his looks, political views - or because he had raped? How can you accurately tell?

Anyone refusing to give fingerprints should be told their application is refused. You can't expect others to help you and make demands at the same time.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 17:55 - Oct 3 with 883 viewsexiledclaseboy

Are they refusing to give fingerprints then?

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 19:04 - Oct 3 with 845 viewsAnotherJohn

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 11:21 - Oct 3 by Uxbridge

Who needs a house more? Somebody fleeing a wartorn country currently living in a tent, or someone who currently lives in one but wants a better/cheaper/more convenient one.

The bile on the comments on that article are beyond depressing. I rather hoped this city was better than this. And all for a paltry one house a year.

This shouldn't be confused with the general lack of social housing in this country, a situation only likely to get worse under this current government. There's the real crime, whereas the argument gets spun so that the poorest in society fight amongst themselves.

This principle has a certain plausibility for the first case, but is it also sound for subsequent cases? There are several millions of displaced people in tents, and that is just in and around Syria. Is it true for every marginal case that a person in a war-affected country is more deserving than a Swansea person or couple on the waiting list? That would mean that none of those on the existing waiting list ever had a chance of a house. But why stop at houses? Is it also Uxbridge's view that our example refugee is more deserving of free medical care than the Welsh person? There are an awful lot of poor people in conflict-affected countries with health problems and we may have to prioritise to be able to afford that volume of healthcare. And what about benefits, schools, and other resources? If relative poverty and personal risk are the main allocation rules then there are millions in the queue world-wide. Where will we draw the line? In reality, as with all developed welfare states, the UK collectively funds benefits like social housing and the NHS for a defined population, and if the boundaries of our risk pool become too porous our funding model collapses. So probably we can help some migrants, but not on the basis that everybody in a tent is more deserving than the existing beneficiaries of our welfare state,
[Post edited 3 Oct 2015 19:50]
Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 19:27 - Oct 3 with 815 viewsdgt73

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 11:21 - Oct 3 by Uxbridge

Who needs a house more? Somebody fleeing a wartorn country currently living in a tent, or someone who currently lives in one but wants a better/cheaper/more convenient one.

The bile on the comments on that article are beyond depressing. I rather hoped this city was better than this. And all for a paltry one house a year.

This shouldn't be confused with the general lack of social housing in this country, a situation only likely to get worse under this current government. There's the real crime, whereas the argument gets spun so that the poorest in society fight amongst themselves.

Your argument is built on sand and is ridiculous. There are millions of people around the world in need of housing - when are you going to give up your home to one of them ?.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 19:51 - Oct 3 with 792 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:57 - Oct 3 by Darran

But not under this situation then?

Thought I had described why I thought there was no need to do that.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 19:57 - Oct 3 with 786 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 13:59 - Oct 3 by Flashberryjack

There are currently 1,700 families on the Swansea council house waiting list, with just 220 available.
So I'd guess there are 1,700 + their families that wouldn't be as benevolent as your good self.

Why is it my place to be benevolent? The fact is there are properties are available but they are Private Sector and are unoccupied or used as investments and left empty. It is successive government's faults that there is not enough social housing. I agree with Corbyn. We need to build and build fast. A few refugees taking houses that no one else wants is not going to worsen the already bad situation you describe in Swansea.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 20:00 - Oct 3 with 785 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 15:54 - Oct 3 by Lohengrin

You're funny.

You are not.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 20:01 - Oct 3 with 784 viewsdgt73

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 19:57 - Oct 3 by Private_Partz

Why is it my place to be benevolent? The fact is there are properties are available but they are Private Sector and are unoccupied or used as investments and left empty. It is successive government's faults that there is not enough social housing. I agree with Corbyn. We need to build and build fast. A few refugees taking houses that no one else wants is not going to worsen the already bad situation you describe in Swansea.

You agree with corbyn - that's enough for me to know, you don't know wtf you're talking about.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 20:02 - Oct 3 with 782 viewsVetchitBack

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 14:35 - Oct 3 by Uxbridge

Generally a well educated and decent people from my professional dealings with some. They could maybe teach the locals a thing or two.

A perfect illustration of why Labour are fast becoming the most despised party in the UK particularly amongst the working classes.

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 20:08 - Oct 3 with 774 viewsVetchitBack

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 16:13 - Oct 3 by Lord_Bony

If we did nt stir things up in Libya,Iraq,Syria and Afghanistan in the first place we would have saved billions that could have helped our homeless and prevented the humanitarian crisis taking place now.

Thats the price we have to pay I m afraid for not speaking up at the time.

"We"

Explain

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 20:09 - Oct 3 with 772 viewsHumpty

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 15:51 - Oct 3 by Lohengrin

Do you think that's why we pay our rates then? To underwrite the flotsam and jetsam of foreign civil wars? That will come as a great comfort to those struggling to meet their bills around here, Hump. They're going to love that.

I think we as a country can afford to help some of those in need. And I'm happy for some of my taxes and rates to go towards that.

Do you regret the fact that the UK took 70,000 Jewish refugees in prior to the Second World War?

Would you have turned the kindertransports back?
Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 20:11 - Oct 3 with 770 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 20:01 - Oct 3 by dgt73

You agree with corbyn - that's enough for me to know, you don't know wtf you're talking about.

Says the Alf Garnett of Planet Swans. :-))

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 20:21 - Oct 3 with 756 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea Council urgently making homes available for Syrian refugees on 19:04 - Oct 3 by AnotherJohn

This principle has a certain plausibility for the first case, but is it also sound for subsequent cases? There are several millions of displaced people in tents, and that is just in and around Syria. Is it true for every marginal case that a person in a war-affected country is more deserving than a Swansea person or couple on the waiting list? That would mean that none of those on the existing waiting list ever had a chance of a house. But why stop at houses? Is it also Uxbridge's view that our example refugee is more deserving of free medical care than the Welsh person? There are an awful lot of poor people in conflict-affected countries with health problems and we may have to prioritise to be able to afford that volume of healthcare. And what about benefits, schools, and other resources? If relative poverty and personal risk are the main allocation rules then there are millions in the queue world-wide. Where will we draw the line? In reality, as with all developed welfare states, the UK collectively funds benefits like social housing and the NHS for a defined population, and if the boundaries of our risk pool become too porous our funding model collapses. So probably we can help some migrants, but not on the basis that everybody in a tent is more deserving than the existing beneficiaries of our welfare state,
[Post edited 3 Oct 2015 19:50]

There is not a lot to disagree with there AJ. although I feel we must not lose sight of the fact this is not just a UK or even EU issue but a worldwide problem. What is needed now is a united approach to help these refugees in the short term whilst engaging with longer term, and much more difficult, problem of addressing the core issues so they can return home.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024