Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Royal Navy School 21:25 - Feb 8 with 4997 viewsepaul

Channel 4 now, boy the memories are coming flooding back, 33 years ago, I was there 16 1 month and 24 days old and about as green as they come

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Royal Navy School on 21:50 - Feb 29 with 1495 viewsLoyal

Royal Navy School on 21:46 - Feb 29 by epaul

When your 16 basic was hell!

Ok, well yes I agree if you were that young, I was 18 fcking nightmare, verbal and physical abuse.
Anyway, at least we both know the feeling to serve and actually to leave and still be proud.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Royal Navy School on 21:58 - Feb 29 with 1481 viewsdickythorpe

Good to see recruit kerry pass out.
Royal Navy School on 22:00 - Feb 29 with 1475 viewsDarran

Royal Navy School on 21:50 - Feb 29 by Loyal

Ok, well yes I agree if you were that young, I was 18 fcking nightmare, verbal and physical abuse.
Anyway, at least we both know the feeling to serve and actually to leave and still be proud.

It must have been awful in Northen Ireland back in the day.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Royal Navy School on 22:00 - Feb 29 with 1474 viewsepaul

Exactly, kid on there now was on his 15th warning for kit in basic, feck me, fail kit muster fail retake, back classed fail again out, they got it easy now, assault course safety helemets ok I can inderstand that, not in my day though

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Royal Navy School on 22:10 - Feb 29 with 1451 viewsepaul

Can't touch them today, no such thing as Health and safety and pc etc back then

Royal Navy School on 22:37 - Feb 29 with 1425 viewsskippyjack

You want to know the reason why?.. they wear helmets because soldiers in Vietnam in the 50s, 60s, 70s were falling on their heads on the assault course.. this resulted in concussion, memory loss and mental instability.. then when they were deployed in the actual war zone.. the soldiers became psychotic and delusional.. disobeyed orders, killed innocents and in some cases used friendly fire.. blew themselves up, because of torment.. and even when the war was over.. soldiers became killers, alcoholics and homeless due to mental impairments and prolonged stress, because they were not trained mentally before combat.

They don't get it easy.. it's mentally draining.. you have to be focused, in charge and aware.. back in the day.. it was split your head open.. bandaged up.. and go for a 20 mile run.. a concussed person running 20 miles with potential blood clots and brain lesions.. it could lead to a stroke, insomnia, delusion, uncontrollable stress, hand tremors, heart attack due to blood clot, cognitive dysfunctions or even death.. instead of having a 2 hour kip to heal your most vital organ in combat.. because the power driven 'men' were macho and dense as door knobs.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Royal Navy School on 01:15 - Mar 1 with 1387 viewsLoyal

Royal Navy School on 22:37 - Feb 29 by skippyjack

You want to know the reason why?.. they wear helmets because soldiers in Vietnam in the 50s, 60s, 70s were falling on their heads on the assault course.. this resulted in concussion, memory loss and mental instability.. then when they were deployed in the actual war zone.. the soldiers became psychotic and delusional.. disobeyed orders, killed innocents and in some cases used friendly fire.. blew themselves up, because of torment.. and even when the war was over.. soldiers became killers, alcoholics and homeless due to mental impairments and prolonged stress, because they were not trained mentally before combat.

They don't get it easy.. it's mentally draining.. you have to be focused, in charge and aware.. back in the day.. it was split your head open.. bandaged up.. and go for a 20 mile run.. a concussed person running 20 miles with potential blood clots and brain lesions.. it could lead to a stroke, insomnia, delusion, uncontrollable stress, hand tremors, heart attack due to blood clot, cognitive dysfunctions or even death.. instead of having a 2 hour kip to heal your most vital organ in combat.. because the power driven 'men' were macho and dense as door knobs.

Where did you serve ?

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.

Royal Navy School on 07:49 - Mar 1 with 1347 viewsdickythorpe

HMP OYSTERMOUTH
Login to get fewer ads

Royal Navy School on 10:29 - Mar 1 with 1329 viewsLoyal

Royal Navy School on 07:49 - Mar 1 by dickythorpe

HMP OYSTERMOUTH

Skip knows loads for someone who hasn't done it.

Royal Navy School on 10:50 - Mar 1 with 1320 viewsfather_jack

that havoc looked mental

DRINK, FECK, GIRRRRLLSSS!

Royal Navy School on 10:59 - Mar 1 with 1317 viewsskippyjack

Royal Navy School on 10:29 - Mar 1 by Loyal

Skip knows loads for someone who hasn't done it.

It's simple really..

you land on your head, you get a bump.
the bump is a combination of blood and brain fluid fused together for the healing process
if you go for a 20 mile run, the heart pumps blood around the body.. and specifically the brain.. in turn extra blood combats with the bump, which fuses a blood clot.. blood is unable to flow correctly.. which over a period of time, clogs the heart.. boom, heart attack caused by a f*cking simple bump to the head.. that will be repaired after a two hour kip.

Sleep is regeneration.. oxygen repairs wounds.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.

Royal Navy School on 11:54 - Mar 1 with 1296 viewsfbreath

Royal Navy School on 22:37 - Feb 29 by skippyjack

LOL

Good fairy tail story. You'd make a great grandad with all the yarns you can spin.

I never heard of anyone having brain damage from basic training while doing basic training when I served in the forces. I was severely ill on one part of basic training while out camping in the wilds and spent 2 days in hospital. There was no macho instructors, they knew what they were doing.

Yes they shouted and screamed at you, but it was all part of a structured training programme to weed out people not suitable to be in the forces.

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

Royal Navy School on 11:56 - Mar 1 with 1293 viewsskippyjack

Royal Navy School on 11:54 - Mar 1 by fbreath

LOL

Good fairy tail story. You'd make a great grandad with all the yarns you can spin.

I never heard of anyone having brain damage from basic training while doing basic training when I served in the forces. I was severely ill on one part of basic training while out camping in the wilds and spent 2 days in hospital. There was no macho instructors, they knew what they were doing.

Yes they shouted and screamed at you, but it was all part of a structured training programme to weed out people not suitable to be in the forces.

who said anything about brain damage?.. f*ck me.. can anyone read on this forum?

Royal Navy School on 12:50 - Mar 8 with 1183 viewsnavyjack

Royal Navy School on 10:50 - Mar 1 by father_jack

that havoc looked mental

I instructed on this unit for a few years, and youd be surprised how many civilian companies use it for 'teambuilding' days. also lots of sports teams came down to use it for the same reason.
Royal Navy School on 13:08 - Mar 8 with 1172 viewsnavyjack

Royal Navy School on 11:56 - Mar 1 by skippyjack

who said anything about brain damage?.. f*ck me.. can anyone read on this forum?

In fairness you mentioned Brain Lesions in your somewhat dramatic post, which could be read as damage.

Anyway, I have been on both sides of this process as Ive done the Raleigh job and of course it has changed, but so has society.
The thing I always remember after every class passes out is that almost everyone says that they expected it to be much harder.
They expected more shouting, expected more 'beastings', expected more exhaustion (mental and physical), and I suppose the success from them passing out comes from the roots that are watered in the careers office interviews and the selection process.
The fact that they expected it to be much harder indicate that they had prepared accordingly, and subsequently feel more of a sense of achievement when they do pass out of training. This was the most rewarding part of the job.
it also taught me that no matter what is thought of the youth of today, and lets be fair they have a bad press amongst the older generation, there are lots of youngsters out there with the enthusiasm, personal pride and respect for others that they sometimes are not given credit for. life affirming stuff.
Royal Navy School on 15:50 - Mar 8 with 1048 viewsKingstonJack

Royal Navy School on 12:50 - Mar 8 by navyjack

I instructed on this unit for a few years, and youd be surprised how many civilian companies use it for 'teambuilding' days. also lots of sports teams came down to use it for the same reason.

I did RAF officer training Cranwell mid-80s.
It seemed harder in those days:
"You're team are last across the river, march them into those nettles for press ups until you've all been stung"

Down the years I remember strapping into a helicopter dunker on a naval base (Yeovilton?) and being dropped upside down in the dark into a swimming pool to learn calm escape.

The military taught me a lot, mostly good memories
Royal Navy School on 15:58 - Mar 8 with 1043 viewsnavyjack

Royal Navy School on 15:50 - Mar 8 by KingstonJack

"You're team are last across the river, march them into those nettles for press ups until you've all been stung"

Down the years I remember strapping into a helicopter dunker on a naval base (Yeovilton?) and being dropped upside down in the dark into a swimming pool to learn calm escape.

Dunker is still there at Yeovilton. we have to do it every two years as often use the helicopter for transfers. aint changed much.love the way you say 'calm escape'. every time i go there its anything but!!.............
Royal Navy School on 18:36 - Mar 8 with 1018 viewsdickythorpe

When I was in the Marines I had to complete the game " Operation" 3 times on the bounce without any buzz.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2016 18:37]
Royal Navy School on 00:58 - Mar 9 with 962 viewsLoyal

Royal Navy School on 15:50 - Mar 8 by KingstonJack

Did you do a branch commission or just enter as an officer.

Royal Navy School on 15:23 - Mar 9 with 925 viewsDavillin

Thanks for this thread. Memory-jogger it is.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Royal Navy School on 17:41 - Mar 9 with 900 viewsKingstonJack

Royal Navy School on 00:58 - Mar 9 by Loyal

Did you do a branch commission or just enter as an officer.

GD(P) Loyal sponsored & straight in from University.

What area of the Forces were you in?

I've enjoyed these TV series over the years. Good fun memory-jogger indeed.

There was one about Para training, more recently about Marines.

It's quite funny but I still polish my leather shoes! And I hate people who are late and unreliable :-)

I'm also proud the Swans associate themselves with the Armed Forces, and Help for Heroes.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2016 17:45]
Royal Navy School on 18:01 - Mar 9 with 888 viewsLoyal

Royal Navy School on 17:41 - Mar 9 by KingstonJack

GD(P) Loyal sponsored & straight in from University.

What area of the Forces were you in?

I've enjoyed these TV series over the years. Good fun memory-jogger indeed.

There was one about Para training, more recently about Marines.

It's quite funny but I still polish my leather shoes! And I hate people who are late and unreliable :-)

I'm also proud the Swans associate themselves with the Armed Forces, and Help for Heroes.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2016 17:45]

RAF Regt 👍

Royal Navy School on 19:27 - Mar 9 with 880 viewsKingstonJack

Royal Navy School on 18:01 - Mar 9 by Loyal

RAF Regt 👍

Rock Ape 💪🏻😀
Royal Navy School on 22:14 - Mar 9 with 846 viewsLoyal

Royal Navy School on 19:27 - Mar 9 by KingstonJack

Rock Ape 💪🏻😀

You will get wheelchair Willie going - he won't understand 👍

Royal Navy School on 23:02 - Mar 9 with 828 viewsshimmie

Royal Navy School on 22:14 - Mar 9 by Loyal

You will get wheelchair Willie going - he won't understand 👍

Worked with few crab fats in Sierra Leone in '98-99. It's amazing how many of those parachuted into Freetown after the Royal Irish were kidnapped...all good lads tho.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024