Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Routledge 15:44 - Oct 22 with 5550 viewsDyfnant

Seriously... what does he offer*
*please make me eat my words 2nd half

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Routledge on 00:11 - Oct 23 with 686 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Routledge on 22:43 - Oct 22 by jackrabbit

Well said. Routledge is an honest player who tries hard and, as you say, puts a shift in. It's not as if we've got a surfeit of wingers. Montero and Dyer are injured and Mo is on the pitch. I'd rather see Routs out wide than Gylfi who was wasted out there by Guidolin. I thought he did well today and sent some good balls into the penalty box. He also tracked back and prevented a certainWatford goal. He deserves better than the constant carping criticism he gets on here.

Maybe they should try one of the fast winger youngsters for 15 minutes.
The other positions that they have tried are doing OK.
Routledge on 00:56 - Oct 23 with 651 viewslonglostjack

Routledge on 22:41 - Oct 22 by Jack11

We don't play to either of their strengths enough to judge definitively. Llorente needs good crosses to attack and Borja needs service from the central areas threaded through. Not much of that on show today again.

Bang on. Barrow down the right an obvious threat but there didn't seem to be any idea of how to crack that Watford defence which in fairness was good. Pity we don't have an Özil type to thread those balls through the middle. Not to say I don't like Gylfi but he's not a classic 10.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2016 1:04]

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Routledge on 01:06 - Oct 23 with 635 viewsRancid

Why does Baston need service through the middle when he's 6ft 3? He's not Sergio Aguero or Michael Owen.
Routledge on 01:09 - Oct 23 with 630 viewsChrisSCFC

Routledge on 00:56 - Oct 23 by longlostjack

Bang on. Barrow down the right an obvious threat but there didn't seem to be any idea of how to crack that Watford defence which in fairness was good. Pity we don't have an Özil type to thread those balls through the middle. Not to say I don't like Gylfi but he's not a classic 10.

Gylfi rarely has the opportunity to attempt those passes those useless f*ckers behind him can't even get him the ball.

Ozil would probably struggle for assists in our team too.
Routledge on 01:10 - Oct 23 with 628 viewslonglostjack

Routledge on 01:06 - Oct 23 by Rancid

Why does Baston need service through the middle when he's 6ft 3? He's not Sergio Aguero or Michael Owen.

Cos he's not the player to be hanging around the box waiting for a cross despite his size. Was pretty much snuffed out by Watford's defence today. Seems more of a getting on the end of a ball type running into the area.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Routledge on 06:44 - Oct 23 with 587 viewsjack247

Routledge on 01:06 - Oct 23 by Rancid

He is tall, but not overly physical. He got bullied by the centre backs until Llorente came on and started bullying them. He is far more mobile though and does a good job of dragging defenders around.

Gomis was a big lump, but was at his most effective when Shelvey was threading balls through for him
Routledge on 07:35 - Oct 23 with 577 viewsmonmouth

Routledge on 00:56 - Oct 23 by longlostjack

We did miss two absolute nailed on goals and get no luck or bounces at all in the box mind. That (second half) was as good as I've seen us in terms of playing against a disciplined blanket niggly time-wasting defence for a long, long time.

Which isn't to say we can't do better, but probably not with what we've got. Oh for a full back/winger combination threat on both sides to give Sigurdsson more space, and a midfielder that can carry the ball forward with purpose - Britton was actually trying to do that yesterday with some success, and what a difference it makes.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Routledge on 07:44 - Oct 23 with 572 viewsDr_Winston

Routledge on 21:25 - Oct 22 by jack247

He looked better than Baston, but I think he needs Baston on the pitch to be able to shine. If that makes sense...

Llorente is a targetman. Baston isn't. We're not going to get the best out of Borja the way we played yesterday.

As for Routs, he wasn't hopelessly bad yesterday but neither did he do much of what a winger is supposed to. Watford's #7 got a hell of a lot more room to operate once he went off but you can't pick an attacking player for his defensive abilities. We might as well give Dan James some cameos to see how he gets on at this point.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

Routledge on 07:50 - Oct 23 with 568 viewsjack247

Routledge on 07:44 - Oct 23 by Dr_Winston

Llorente is a targetman. Baston isn't. We're not going to get the best out of Borja the way we played yesterday.

As for Routs, he wasn't hopelessly bad yesterday but neither did he do much of what a winger is supposed to. Watford's #7 got a hell of a lot more room to operate once he went off but you can't pick an attacking player for his defensive abilities. We might as well give Dan James some cameos to see how he gets on at this point.

Agree with your first point, Baston is more mobile and a poacher. He isn't going to hold two defenders off though.

Throwing untried youngsters in at the moment would be mental. You can give him 5 minute cameos, but it wastes an option from the bench.
Routledge on 08:02 - Oct 23 with 559 viewsmonmouth

Routledge on 07:50 - Oct 23 by jack247

Agree with your first point, Baston is more mobile and a poacher. He isn't going to hold two defenders off though.

Throwing untried youngsters in at the moment would be mental. You can give him 5 minute cameos, but it wastes an option from the bench.

Doesn't look like we're intending to use the bench options we have anyway if yesterday is any guide.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Routledge on 08:02 - Oct 23 with 558 viewsDr_Winston

Routledge on 07:50 - Oct 23 by jack247

Ben Davies was an untried youngster who got thrown in. If he doesn't get chances we'll never know if he can do it.

If you can't cover most of your needs and still have room for a little experimentation with a seven man bench then something's wrong somewhere.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Routledge on 08:08 - Oct 23 with 552 viewsjack247

Routledge on 08:02 - Oct 23 by Dr_Winston

Ben Davies was an untried youngster who got thrown in. If he doesn't get chances we'll never know if he can do it.

If you can't cover most of your needs and still have room for a little experimentation with a seven man bench then something's wrong somewhere.

Not really. Ben Davies had already been promoted to the senior squad by Laudrup and was earmarked for games that season, it just came sooner than expected because of Taylor's injury.

As I said yesterday, if we had any youth team wingers of Ben Davies' quality, they would have made the bench at the very least by now.

Bobs reputation for increasing fitness may help with the options from the bench. One of the most pleasing things from yesterday was that the midfield didn't gas out after an hour, as it predetermines two of your substitutions. Watford didn't press like Liverpool or City though.
Routledge on 08:43 - Oct 23 with 512 viewsWarwickHunt

Routledge on 08:08 - Oct 23 by jack247

Not really. Ben Davies had already been promoted to the senior squad by Laudrup and was earmarked for games that season, it just came sooner than expected because of Taylor's injury.

As I said yesterday, if we had any youth team wingers of Ben Davies' quality, they would have made the bench at the very least by now.

Bobs reputation for increasing fitness may help with the options from the bench. One of the most pleasing things from yesterday was that the midfield didn't gas out after an hour, as it predetermines two of your substitutions. Watford didn't press like Liverpool or City though.

Well, the midfield didn't exactly exert themselves for the first 45 minutes...
Routledge on 08:49 - Oct 23 with 493 viewsexiledinenglandjack

If you've watched the training videos you'd have seen hat some of the youth boys have been training with the first team. I think this run of games is perfect for a youngster to be thrown on after 60 mins.
Routledge on 08:59 - Oct 23 with 477 viewsjack247

Routledge on 08:49 - Oct 23 by exiledinenglandjack

If you've watched the training videos you'd have seen hat some of the youth boys have been training with the first team. I think this run of games is perfect for a youngster to be thrown on after 60 mins.

Youth team players training with the first team is nothing new. Throwing them into a relegation battle would be stupid. McBurnie aside, they haven't even been used in league cup games.
Routledge on 09:00 - Oct 23 with 472 viewsJango

Routledge on 00:11 - Oct 23 by A_Fans_Dad

Maybe they should try one of the fast winger youngsters for 15 minutes.
The other positions that they have tried are doing OK.

It's got to the point where I'd play both naughton and Kingsley down the left until montero comes back, or start the next game as we finished yesterday. We can't carry him anymore. It was the only substitution Bradley was keen to make which says something
Routledge on 09:05 - Oct 23 with 466 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Routledge on 08:43 - Oct 23 by WarwickHunt

Well, the midfield didn't exactly exert themselves for the first 45 minutes...

Playing with two defensive midfielders was never going to help us find any fluidity going forward.

Fer should have started and we probably would have won the game if he did.

Routs isn't your classic winger and Laudrup got the best out of him by bringing him in from the wing, where he played his best football in my opinion. It seemed like Kingsley was often caught in two minds yesterday whether to stick or twist and safety first was his instinctive reaction. Maybe some extra work on the training field with the two of them would reap some rewards.

*Considering Routledge is getting on a little and we have little or nothing to replace him with I find it a bit tiresome reading the same old criticism match after match after match. It's not his fault we never back filled half of the positions we should have. That was down to the "director of football".

He also prevented a certain goal and saved us the point. Imagine the meltdown on here off Wed have lost!

*not aimed at Warwick, just the negative elements in the thread.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Routledge on 09:41 - Oct 23 with 436 viewsWarwickHunt

Routledge on 09:05 - Oct 23 by Brynmill_Jack

Playing with two defensive midfielders was never going to help us find any fluidity going forward.

Fer should have started and we probably would have won the game if he did.

Routs isn't your classic winger and Laudrup got the best out of him by bringing him in from the wing, where he played his best football in my opinion. It seemed like Kingsley was often caught in two minds yesterday whether to stick or twist and safety first was his instinctive reaction. Maybe some extra work on the training field with the two of them would reap some rewards.

*Considering Routledge is getting on a little and we have little or nothing to replace him with I find it a bit tiresome reading the same old criticism match after match after match. It's not his fault we never back filled half of the positions we should have. That was down to the "director of football".

He also prevented a certain goal and saved us the point. Imagine the meltdown on here off Wed have lost!

*not aimed at Warwick, just the negative elements in the thread.

Agree with all of that, Steve.

Routledge is one of several who should have been upgraded at least two years ago and it sums up our largely woeful recruitment policy that he starts every match.

He always puts a shift in but it's very frustrating seeing how ineffective he is week after f*cking week...

Apparently his pass rate completion this season is under 60%. For someone who more often than not plays the simple ball, that's pretty shocking.
Routledge on 09:56 - Oct 23 with 412 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Routledge on 09:41 - Oct 23 by WarwickHunt

Agree with all of that, Steve.

Routledge is one of several who should have been upgraded at least two years ago and it sums up our largely woeful recruitment policy that he starts every match.

He always puts a shift in but it's very frustrating seeing how ineffective he is week after f*cking week...

Apparently his pass rate completion this season is under 60%. For someone who more often than not plays the simple ball, that's pretty shocking.

It is and I wholeheartedly agree. In his defence he's involved in a lot for us, even tried coming over to help barrow out in the first half. One thing I'm grateful for is that he stands up to be counted and doesn't hide like some do.

Routledge on 10:00 - Oct 23 with 402 viewsDr_Winston

Routledge on 09:56 - Oct 23 by Brynmill_Jack

It is and I wholeheartedly agree. In his defence he's involved in a lot for us, even tried coming over to help barrow out in the first half. One thing I'm grateful for is that he stands up to be counted and doesn't hide like some do.

The important thing to remember is that despite his struggles over the last eighteen months or so he's been an excellent player for most of his time here and well worth every penny of £2m.

Routledge on 10:03 - Oct 23 with 394 viewsJoe_bradshaw

He's nowhere near good enough and should have been replaced a few seasons ago but he follows manager's instructions and that's why they select him. If I were a full back I'd much rather have Routledge in front of me than Barrow. At least I'd get support when the opposition have the ball.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Routledge on 10:36 - Oct 23 with 369 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Routledge on 10:00 - Oct 23 by Dr_Winston

The important thing to remember is that despite his struggles over the last eighteen months or so he's been an excellent player for most of his time here and well worth every penny of £2m.

I thought it was a million we had him for? Still, even at two million we've had five years loyal service.

Routledge on 10:40 - Oct 23 with 365 viewsjack247

Routledge on 10:36 - Oct 23 by Brynmill_Jack

I thought it was a million we had him for? Still, even at two million we've had five years loyal service.

He would still be decent if we played to his strengths, as he was towards the end of last season linkImg with Ayew, Paloschi and Siggy.

As others have said though, the way we play now he doesn't offer much going forward. Protecting his full back is his biggest contribution. It should be a case of either replace him or play to his strengths.
Routledge on 10:42 - Oct 23 with 358 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Routledge on 10:40 - Oct 23 by jack247

He would still be decent if we played to his strengths, as he was towards the end of last season linkImg with Ayew, Paloschi and Siggy.

As others have said though, the way we play now he doesn't offer much going forward. Protecting his full back is his biggest contribution. It should be a case of either replace him or play to his strengths.

Of course and I agree 100%. No room for sentimentality in football at this level . But I can't see us replacing him in January can you?

Routledge on 10:46 - Oct 23 with 349 viewsperchrockjack

He s one of several who should not be st the club now.

It's hitting us hard carrying them.

And dyer has yet to get fit...another who was given a ludicrous contract.

We ve simply not rid ourselves of crap

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024