Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wales rugby 09:02 - Oct 25 with 3893 viewsbuilthjack

In 135 years Wales have only played against 22 countries, of which quite a few are little islands (Fiji, Samoa, Pacific Islands etc). Closed shop or minority sport?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Wales rugby on 17:28 - Oct 25 with 835 viewsDarran

Wales rugby on 17:26 - Oct 25 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Multiple people were taking photos of their Wales v Argentina tickets on my Facebook, as if they had just received tickets for the World Cup Final. All excited for their day of binge drinking in Cardiff. Never seen them post their Ospreys tickets.

I can believe that.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Wales rugby on 17:32 - Oct 25 with 832 viewsjack247

Multiple people were taking photos of their Wales v Argentina tickets on my Facebook, as if they had just received tickets for the World Cup Final. All excited for their day of binge drinking in Cardiff. Never seen them post their Ospreys tickets.

Rugby is in no way Wales national sport, most people, whether they admit it r not, see it as a booze up, me included. It does have its die hard fans though and is miles off being a minority sport.
Wales rugby on 17:39 - Oct 25 with 822 viewstaffpunk

Wales rugby on 17:32 - Oct 25 by jack247

Rugby is in no way Wales national sport, most people, whether they admit it r not, see it as a booze up, me included. It does have its die hard fans though and is miles off being a minority sport.

It is the Welsh International sport by a mile. Football is normally Club first Country second, though this has altered slightly lately. Rugby in the main is Country then Club.

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Wales rugby on 17:48 - Oct 25 with 817 viewsmax936

Disagree with most J, when I go, rarely, I have maybe a couple of beers before the game and none in there [expensive coloured water] watch and enjoy the game then enjoy myself after the people I go with are the same and lots of people same.
Your booze up statement can be said for the Swans games and most other football games as well, every pub is virtually rammed.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2016 17:49]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Wales rugby on 18:06 - Oct 25 with 797 viewsjack247

Wales rugby on 17:39 - Oct 25 by taffpunk

It is the Welsh International sport by a mile. Football is normally Club first Country second, though this has altered slightly lately. Rugby in the main is Country then Club.

It is, but as Dwight says, the vast majority aren't real rugby fans. 6 or 7 games a season doesn't count. It's not a game people watch or play in numbers approaching what football gets on a regular basis. Not to say there aren't committed rugby fans, there just aren't many of them.

In terms of minority sport though, not even close.
Wales rugby on 18:30 - Oct 25 with 785 viewsBanosswan

Once again rugby is Wales' national sport, just like cricket is England's national sport. Neither is anywhere near as popular as football, but they are the national sports.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Wales rugby on 18:45 - Oct 25 with 775 viewsbuilthjack

Very sad indeed that they do not support their region

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Wales rugby on 18:48 - Oct 25 with 765 viewsjack247

Wales rugby on 18:30 - Oct 25 by Banosswan

Once again rugby is Wales' national sport, just like cricket is England's national sport. Neither is anywhere near as popular as football, but they are the national sports.

It's our national sport as much as cricket is England's I guess. Back to the original point. It's not a minority sport, neither is cricket for that matter
Login to get fewer ads

Wales rugby on 18:59 - Oct 25 with 750 viewsblueytheblue

Wales rugby on 18:30 - Oct 25 by Banosswan

Apart from more people playing football, more people watching football, more teams in football... other than that...

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Wales rugby on 19:45 - Oct 25 with 709 viewsBanosswan

Wales rugby on 18:59 - Oct 25 by blueytheblue

Apart from more people playing football, more people watching football, more teams in football... other than that...

Think about what I said.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.

Wales rugby on 19:48 - Oct 25 with 705 viewsdickythorpe

Wales rugby on 18:45 - Oct 25 by builthjack

Very sad indeed that they do not support their region

Regional rugby was forced on us, after over 120 years of club rugby.
Wales rugby on 20:10 - Oct 25 with 682 viewsLoyal

Minority sport.
Can't be anything else.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Wales rugby on 20:13 - Oct 25 with 678 viewsblueytheblue

Wales rugby on 19:45 - Oct 25 by Banosswan

Think about what I said.

Oh I did. A few internationals here and there is hardly enough to shake that view.

Media want to claim otherwise...

Wales rugby on 20:32 - Oct 25 with 666 viewsBanosswan

Wales rugby on 20:13 - Oct 25 by blueytheblue

Oh I did. A few internationals here and there is hardly enough to shake that view.

Media want to claim otherwise...

Unicorn is the national animal of Scotland. They have more pandas, should they change?

Wales rugby on 17:22 - Oct 26 with 619 viewstaffpunk

Wales rugby on 18:59 - Oct 25 by blueytheblue

At International level, Welsh Rugby is far more popular than Welsh football. What their reasons are for going is irrelevant, it's number 1.

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Wales rugby on 17:26 - Oct 26 with 536 viewsblueytheblue

Wales rugby on 20:32 - Oct 25 by Banosswan

Unicorn is the national animal of Scotland. They have more pandas, should they change?

Ask their Queen Krankie.

Wales rugby on 17:28 - Oct 26 with 532 viewsblueytheblue

Wales rugby on 17:22 - Oct 26 by taffpunk

At International level, Welsh Rugby is far more popular than Welsh football. What their reasons are for going is irrelevant, it's number 1.

And at domestic level, which really matters, egg is far inferior in every category.

Swansea in the Prem are seen by more people worldwide, receive more publicity worldwide than egg internationals.

Wales rugby on 17:45 - Oct 26 with 524 viewstaffpunk

Wales rugby on 17:28 - Oct 26 by blueytheblue

And at domestic level, which really matters, egg is far inferior in every category.

Swansea in the Prem are seen by more people worldwide, receive more publicity worldwide than egg internationals.

I don't think that's the point of this discussion though, Welsh Rugby at International level is more popular than football, yes? They have bigger crowds, I'd also say at local grass roots level, Rugby is far more popular.

Wales rugby on 17:49 - Oct 26 with 519 viewsblueytheblue

Wales rugby on 17:45 - Oct 26 by taffpunk

I don't think that's the point of this discussion though, Welsh Rugby at International level is more popular than football, yes? They have bigger crowds, I'd also say at local grass roots level, Rugby is far more popular.

6 games a season or so do not a national sport make though.

Even if you add international attendances in, more people play football, there are more football teams, more attend football games overall.

Rugby can't be deemed a national sport when there's barely a pulse in North Wales for it. South Wales, M4 corridor, valleys and that's it.

Wales rugby on 18:30 - Oct 26 with 507 viewsmax936

Wales rugby on 17:45 - Oct 26 by taffpunk

Rugby is getting more and more popular, I see it around here and when I'm out and about on a Sunday you see kids in their kit after they have been playing, Television, Sky Sports and the like, plus lots of dads who play will see their lads wanting to play because their dads either still play or have kept their affiliation to the club they played for etc.

Football is much the same, everywhere I go now I regularly see adults, children wearing something Swans related, I must have seen at least half a dozen when I was in Majorca back in the summer, Osprey shirts are very popular as well.

Probably 2/3rds of peeps on here can't take to Rugby and flood these threads with their dislike for the game, its quite comical really its like they feel threatened by the sport.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2016 20:17]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Wales rugby on 19:59 - Oct 26 with 488 viewsSwansNZ

Compared to football, every sport is probably classed as minority. With the exception of football and probably basketball, what team sports are bigger globally than rugby?

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Wales rugby on 20:01 - Oct 26 with 483 viewsJackfath

Wales rugby on 19:59 - Oct 26 by SwansNZ

Compared to football, every sport is probably classed as minority. With the exception of football and probably basketball, what team sports are bigger globally than rugby?

Cricket?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Wales rugby on 20:04 - Oct 26 with 478 viewsdickythorpe

Pitch and toss. Bigger sport than all the others put together
Wales rugby on 20:07 - Oct 26 with 471 viewsSwansNZ

Wales rugby on 20:01 - Oct 26 by Jackfath

Cricket?

Less countries play that than rugby.

How many countries have England played in test cricket?

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Wales rugby on 20:09 - Oct 26 with 467 viewsJackfath

Wales rugby on 20:07 - Oct 26 by SwansNZ

Less countries play that than rugby.

How many countries have England played in test cricket?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024