Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? 10:19 - Jan 25 with 5969 viewsLoyal

It was in hindsight a pretty inspiring performance. I have always had my doubts on tactics, managers and coaches believing that players etc haven't the ability to understand even basic instruction. However, did Clelement really mastermind that win and turn this team round that quickly ?

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 10:25 - Jan 25 with 4139 viewsWarwickHunt

The squad is weak but we have enough decent players to make a go of it if coached properly.

The organisation and discipline of the defence and midfield was a thing of beauty on Saturday.
Only one game but we're playing as a team again with players sticking to their roles.
Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 10:28 - Jan 25 with 4114 viewsSTID2017

Yes

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 10:29 - Jan 25 with 4099 viewsKGriz16

Yes he did. As well as some excellent playing performances on the pitch. They'd obviously worked on the 4-5-1 in training and the narrow defensive structure.
Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 10:32 - Jan 25 with 4087 viewsSTID2017

if you doubt the effect that PC and his assistants had on the team, just look back a short while to the effect that BB and co had on virtually the same players.
The answer is plain as the sun outside my window

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 10:34 - Jan 25 with 4073 viewsFireboy

Most football players are fickle human beings,they are soooooo far detached from really it beggars belief and I think sometimes they think that they know better than the coach,when we had bobbly in charge it's so clear that they weren't trying as a team and I put that down to them not respecting and responding to him and we all knew why,now we have a coach who has worked with one of the best managers in the world at 3 big european clubs,they have obviously stood up,shut their gobs,opened theirs ears and listened,it also helps that we have signed olsson and carroll which will put a bit more competitiveness in training which only do more good

So to answer your question on the whole clement did mastermind the victory on saturday and I hope he masterminds even more
Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 10:35 - Jan 25 with 4072 viewsPegojack

Yes, we were a lot more organized and motivated, credit where it's due.

But these games all operate on fine margins. Liverpool missed some very good chances in the first half and could have been out of sight by half time.
Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 10:48 - Jan 25 with 4012 viewsLegend83

Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 10:35 - Jan 25 by Pegojack

But these games all operate on fine margins. Liverpool missed some very good chances in the first half and could have been out of sight by half time.

Plus the bit of luck for the 3rd - but we are certainly due some!
Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 10:49 - Jan 25 with 4005 viewsKerouac

Yes I do.

He shut down that Liverpool attack by condensing the space between the defence and the midfield. Our wide players played narrower without the ball and took up midfield positions which allowed Cork and Carroll to help their defence out.
The biggest change he has brought about is that they now seem a whole lot more disciplined.
Liverpool did not create many chances which is unusual for them and we defended properly which is unusual for us.
This was not a coincidence.

Without the ball we shaped up like this;

---------- Fernandez ------- Mawson --------------
Naughton ---- Cork ---- Carroll ---------- Olssen
------ Routledge ----- Fer --------- Siggy ----------
-----------------------------------------------------------
----------------------- Llorente ------------------------

We denied them any space to play. They were reduced to playing in front of us.
Later in the game when legs were tiring he replaced Naughton for Rangel, but the really smart sub was Fer for Fulton.
Fulton's energy and tackling next to Cork in front of our defence helped us see that game out when Liverpool threw the kitchen sink at us.
Carroll played just a fraction ahead of them. Siggy tucked in.
We were solid.

With the ball there seems to be an emphasis on feeding Llorente and getting closer to him quicker and running off him.
Carroll, Routledge, Fer and Siggy swarming around him.

Dare I say it, we also seem to have tightened up at defending set pieces and now seem more threatening at our own..

I have faith in this bloke, looking for the quality and tempo of our passing to improve now. Getting Carroll in is a step in the right direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Login to get fewer ads

Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 10:51 - Jan 25 with 4001 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Interesting to hear that we covered more ground than any other team last weekend. Olsson said he couldn't walk for two days after his first training session under Clement.

Can we come on strong from now on with higher fitness levels that enable us to carry out the manager's game plan? Let's face it, we've hardly exerted ourselves in the first half of the season so, with the right training, we should be able to do so.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 11:03 - Jan 25 with 3935 viewsbuilthjack

Didn't our players cover 6 miles more than they have been averaging 'this season? So obviously the work rate was up.
There was more shape about the team. I watched some of the game again last night, the defence had a shape to it, full backs were always a yard in front of the centre backs. Midfield had a definite organised look, movement when the didn't have the ball.
Previously there was no shape to the defence, looking like a zigzag.
So yes, Clement did mastermind the win, and I am sure he will do much more of that. A bloody good coach.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 11:08 - Jan 25 with 3916 viewsyeoviljackb

Whilst we were no doubt much more organised don't underestimate Carroll's role in the win. Eventually we had a player willing to drive forward with the ball and take players on. This helped the overall midfield performance both with creativity and defending. But it's fine margins - Liverpool could easily have sneaked the game 3-2 then we would once again be criticising the defence (Olsen's role in the two goals?? - don't get me wrong he was good going forward - but if we had lost the game and Taylor had been in the LB position losing a header due to poor shape and not pressing the ball for second goal - he would be getting slated). I still maintain it's the midfield that have been the problem this season more so than the defence
Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 11:08 - Jan 25 with 3916 viewsFireboy

Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 10:35 - Jan 25 by Pegojack

They only had 1 clear cut chance to score first half

The only thing i worry about i's when we play teams that are more direct and have a out and out no 9 we will struggle as was shown on saturday,after they went 2-0 behind they pushed more men into the middle of their forward line which resulted in firmino scoring twice,we need to defend better but I suspect PC will be working on that already

I also think that PC has the knowledge to realise we need to defend and attack differently against different therefore having a plan A B and C
Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 11:08 - Jan 25 with 3916 viewsjack247

He didn't mastermind it, he just gave us the best chance he could. He made us hard to break down and gave us a bit of threat on the counter. He got the defence linking with the midfield and the midfield linking with the wide(ish) men and Llorente.

To say he masterminded it implies that nothing was left to chance. If we played Liverpool at Anfield 5 more times we would probably lose 4 of them. That is still significant progress from the 5 we would have lost before he came in.
Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 11:48 - Jan 25 with 3756 viewsLeonWasGod

Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 10:49 - Jan 25 by Kerouac

Yes I do.

He shut down that Liverpool attack by condensing the space between the defence and the midfield. Our wide players played narrower without the ball and took up midfield positions which allowed Cork and Carroll to help their defence out.
The biggest change he has brought about is that they now seem a whole lot more disciplined.
Liverpool did not create many chances which is unusual for them and we defended properly which is unusual for us.

Later in the game when legs were tiring he replaced Naughton for Rangel, but the really smart sub was Fer for Fulton.
Fulton's energy and tackling next to Cork in front of our defence helped us see that game out when Liverpool threw the kitchen sink at us.
We were solid.

With the ball there seems to be an emphasis on feeding Llorente and getting closer to him quicker and running off him.

Dare I say it, we also seem to have tightened up at defending set pieces and now seem more threatening at our own..

I have faith in this bloke, looking for the quality and tempo of our passing to improve now. Getting Carroll in is a step in the right direction.

Without the ball, I thought it looked liked two flat lines of a 4 and a 5, with Cork slightly deeper in the middle of midfield. Certainly in first half. But being pedantic aside, agree with most of that.

I have faith too - he seems to instill it more than BB ever could. Hopefully it's not a false dawn.
Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 12:00 - Jan 25 with 3711 viewsCooperman

Maybe not a case of masterminding, but definitely a case of bringing back the basics.
Compare the following:
- Defensive shape under Bob where the back 4 and any holding midfielder were randomly positioned around the final third of the pitch as the ball hit the back of our net.
- Defensive shape against Liverpool where the back 5 operated as a unit more than at any time I had seen in the last 3 months. Arsenal was somewhere in between Bob's time and Liverpool which in my mind is progression from the shambles that was to a decent structure which can at least compete. Let's hope he kicks on with more of the same.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 12:17 - Jan 25 with 3656 viewsUxbridge

I can recall two - a header and the overhead kick. They were hardly ripping us to shreds. Plus we hit the post. A very even first half I thought. They had the ball in promising positions but they didn't translate that into chances.

If Olsson had been stronger the back post, it could well have been a more resounding victory as Klopp chucked bodies up front and we could have picked them off on the break. Fine margins either way. I thought it the right result based on performances, quality in front of goal and particular in tactics/substitutions, which I feel Clement had significantly the better of.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 12:28 - Jan 25 with 3605 viewsswancity

Don't get too carried away chaps. We scored three times but only had 3 attempts on goal i believe in the entire game. Certainly, we looked well organised and up for it and no doubting that Tom Carroll made a difference but we set up pretty much in our favoured formation. It wasn't anything new was it but all that counts is the 3-2 score lne which I reckon, given everything, is our best league win for many seasons.
Sure Clement must take some credit and praise but it was a great team effort, some poor defensive work from Liverpool and some poor finishing which all contributed to our win.
Llorente and Siggurdson look key to our survival hopes don't they but the return to form of Fernandez is also important given his undoubted quality.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 12:33 - Jan 25 with 3559 viewsIeuanIvett98

Yes.

Poll: Would you sacrifice Premier League status to be in the right hands?

Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 12:56 - Jan 25 with 3453 viewsjack247

Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 12:28 - Jan 25 by swancity

Don't get too carried away chaps. We scored three times but only had 3 attempts on goal i believe in the entire game. Certainly, we looked well organised and up for it and no doubting that Tom Carroll made a difference but we set up pretty much in our favoured formation. It wasn't anything new was it but all that counts is the 3-2 score lne which I reckon, given everything, is our best league win for many seasons.
Sure Clement must take some credit and praise but it was a great team effort, some poor defensive work from Liverpool and some poor finishing which all contributed to our win.
Llorente and Siggurdson look key to our survival hopes don't they but the return to form of Fernandez is also important given his undoubted quality.

Thing is, we aren't a relegation team playing like that. I agree it was nothing we haven't seen before, we just haven't seen it for a while.

You are always going to need a little bit of luck to win at Liverpool. That little bit of luck wouldn't have been enough a month ago. If he can get us playing with that intensity and organisation week in week out, we will be ok.
Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 13:03 - Jan 25 with 3429 viewsQuincy999

Yes, Managers are held accountable for bad team performances and should be given credit for good team performances, which Saturday was. There was definitely an improvement in structure and attacking intent with the ball, which comes down from the manager.
However I do still believe that individual performances remain the players responsibility and they should not be allowed to give their personal view of the manager or his training as an excuse.
Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 13:59 - Jan 25 with 3250 viewsTheResurrection

I'm not sure about this Mike, which ones are you referring to? The overhead kick was a half chance but i'm struggling to think of any more.

That game was won in the first half for us. All the real hard work and concentration was done then.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 14:15 - Jan 25 with 3204 viewsTheResurrection

Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 10:49 - Jan 25 by Kerouac

Yes I do.

We were solid.

Hmm, not sure about some of this. That defensive shape of yours didn't resemble ours on Saturday.

We were organised and tight, units of 4 and 5 and disciplined to move up and back together, generally. Very clever when one pressed someone else slotted in. It was a pretty fluid and well drilled shape.

Rangel replaced Olsson and Fulton was only on the pitch for the real last knockings.

Clement also recognises, perhaps, the benefits of having Siggy and Fer on the same pitch together, from an effective attacking perspective. Our best performances this season have not involved Siggy in the number 10 spot. Carroll from a left hand side midfield spot will be able to unlock more defences than Siggy has, he's got more skill and a better eye for a pass.

I also liked the shape and formation as it fitted in a lot of our better players but also protected them.

Carroll in a 5 man midfield won't be too exposed for his size and stature, Cork can look after him and Fer also can be more protected for his defensive deficiencies.

Siggy in this shape can be useful for his work rate and effort but also it takes the onus of overplaying away from him. Routs, for all his critics, is intelligent and technically good, he also keeps shape well and combined the 5 of them are a potent threat going forward.

Clement may be tempted to be a bit more adventurous at home but I'd stick to something similar until it starts not to work.

The first half we were superb.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 14:18 - Jan 25 with 3187 viewsJack_Kass

Back to basics

4-5-1 out of possession (which was a large % of the game)

4-3-3 in possession

you either have possession of the ball, or you don't.

And the return of the previously suppressed triangles, into our game.

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 14:29 - Jan 25 with 3151 viewsHugeEnkins

Do you really believe Brad Bobbley was that bad? therein lies the answer....
Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 14:42 - Jan 25 with 3110 viewsKerouac

Do you really believe Clement masterminded Liverpool win ? on 11:48 - Jan 25 by LeonWasGod

Without the ball, I thought it looked liked two flat lines of a 4 and a 5, with Cork slightly deeper in the middle of midfield. Certainly in first half. But being pedantic aside, agree with most of that.

I have faith too - he seems to instill it more than BB ever could. Hopefully it's not a false dawn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38620045

Also not wishing to be pedantic, (just trying to back my view of the game up!) have a look at the average player positions on there.

My interpretation (...and what I believe I saw in practice);
- 2 centre-backs deeper
- Full-backs 5-10 yards further forward
- 2 centre mids sitting (although Cork only does defensive work, whilst Carroll has a licence to go forward...the same role Allen used to play)
- Routledge is tucking into midfield and helping Naughton out
- Siggy is tucking into midfield too.
- Most of our attacks seem to be have been down the right-hand side when going through Fer and Llorente...possibly Siggy was going forward less a in order to cover for Olssen's runs forward who was providing the width on the left

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024