Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gary Winston Lineker 19:05 - Mar 9 with 16365 viewsFlashberryjack

Gary Lineker ?
Opinions please.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Gary Winston Lineker on 11:54 - Mar 12 with 1406 viewsWingstandwood

https://news.sky.com/story/gary-lineker-latest-stars-pull-out-of-match-of-the-da

Oh dear, WOKE hey?

Argus!

Gary Winston Lineker on 12:06 - Mar 12 with 1381 viewsfelixstowe_jack

I hear the BBC is going to appoint Sue Gray to do a report report into Gary Lineker's impartiality.
😃 😀 😄 😁 🤣

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Gary Winston Lineker on 12:46 - Mar 12 with 1359 viewsSullutaCreturned

Gary Winston Lineker on 09:13 - Mar 12 by Dr_Parnassus

I think people should be able to have whatever opinion they like, as long as it’s not overtly offensive, whether I agree with him or disagree doesn’t come into it,

What I do find amusing though is that the same people backing him to the hilt over this, are also the same people who want someone of the opposite political stance banned whenever they share their views.

Who are they then? I'm backing Lineker and I haven't called for anyone to be banned.

I think in his own personal twitter account he should be allowed to express his personal views.

FAO Boundy, I don't do Twitter, Facebook etc but yes I am very aware of the rules around this. My current job and my last job both have rules. My previous job in fact insisted I didn't say anything negative about them or any colleagues, that I should always be proud and supportive of them and say nice things. I regularly failed that rule just never on social media.
My wife is NHS and they have similar rules.
Gary Winston Lineker on 12:59 - Mar 12 with 1353 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Gary Winston Lineker on 08:55 - Mar 12 by Whiterockin

I wonder how many actually read the fine detail of their own contract of employment. On a couple of occasions I refused to sign a contract until it was revised. Lineker like many broadcasters is self employed and would have a detailed contract. I would be surprised if he wasn't in breach of this.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2023 8:56]

The elephant in the room is that there is probably hundreds if not thousands of bbc employees who have been disciplined/sacked/suspended over the years for tweets that breach guidelines. Why should Lineker get any special treatment because he’s a big name? Where was the “solidarity” 🤮 from Ian Wright, Shearer, Alex Scott etc when these lowly unknown runners or cameramen or canteen staff were being sacked for tweets?

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Gary Winston Lineker on 13:21 - Mar 12 with 1293 viewsDr_Parnassus

Gary Winston Lineker on 12:46 - Mar 12 by SullutaCreturned

Who are they then? I'm backing Lineker and I haven't called for anyone to be banned.

I think in his own personal twitter account he should be allowed to express his personal views.

FAO Boundy, I don't do Twitter, Facebook etc but yes I am very aware of the rules around this. My current job and my last job both have rules. My previous job in fact insisted I didn't say anything negative about them or any colleagues, that I should always be proud and supportive of them and say nice things. I regularly failed that rule just never on social media.
My wife is NHS and they have similar rules.

Plenty.

Would probably be a shorter list to name those that act the opposite of as I describe.

I’m sure we both know the type we are talking about.

If Jeremy Clarkson said that he didn’t agree with the immigration policy for example, people would be calling for him to be sacked and falling over themselves to be rabidly outraged.

Linekar is a pillock, but he has every right to be one openly.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Gary Winston Lineker on 13:57 - Mar 12 with 1266 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Gary Winston Lineker on 13:21 - Mar 12 by Dr_Parnassus

Plenty.

Would probably be a shorter list to name those that act the opposite of as I describe.

I’m sure we both know the type we are talking about.

If Jeremy Clarkson said that he didn’t agree with the immigration policy for example, people would be calling for him to be sacked and falling over themselves to be rabidly outraged.

Linekar is a pillock, but he has every right to be one openly.

Correct perhaps out of principle he should resign from his BBC job forgo his million plus a year and stand as a Labour candidate in the next General election system. I am sure he can afford a pay cut to about £83000 a year.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Gary Winston Lineker on 14:02 - Mar 12 with 1258 viewsGwyn737

Gary Winston Lineker on 08:26 - Mar 12 by felixstowe_jack

Andrew Neil was a political analysis so of course he would put across his analysis of politics. Just as Alastair Campbell was Tony Blairs director of communications and would put across labour's spin.

Gary Lineker is a sport presenter and under his terms of contract is supposed to be political neutral. Even you can understand that.

I think there’s a bit more wiggle room if you’re not a direct employee or aren’t employed to present a news or current affairs programs.

This story has has positive and negative points for me.

From a positive standpoint, the conversation around freedom of speech has been quite healthy IMO. All the presenters pulling out actually has diluted the cultures wars as it can’t be claimed they’re unprincipled. It’s also had the group who call the BBC a haven for the liberal WOKEY types defending its balance, which I find hugely entertaining.

From a negative standpoint it’s meant we’re all talking about Lineker when we should be talking about what a poor piece of legislation the boat bill is.

*before anyone gets all excited, I’m not talking about the principle of stopping boats, I’m on about the wolf whistling, ineffective and unworkable bill presented.
Gary Winston Lineker on 14:03 - Mar 12 with 1252 viewsWhiterockin

Gary Winston Lineker on 13:57 - Mar 12 by felixstowe_jack

Correct perhaps out of principle he should resign from his BBC job forgo his million plus a year and stand as a Labour candidate in the next General election system. I am sure he can afford a pay cut to about £83000 a year.

He's going to ITV. How much of this has been stage managed.
Login to get fewer ads

Gary Winston Lineker on 14:06 - Mar 12 with 1235 viewsGwyn737

Gary Winston Lineker on 13:57 - Mar 12 by felixstowe_jack

If it’s about the money he should join the Tory party and earn a lot more 😉
Gary Winston Lineker on 14:20 - Mar 12 with 1223 viewsSullutaCreturned

Gary Winston Lineker on 14:02 - Mar 12 by Gwyn737

I think there’s a bit more wiggle room if you’re not a direct employee or aren’t employed to present a news or current affairs programs.

This story has has positive and negative points for me.

From a positive standpoint, the conversation around freedom of speech has been quite healthy IMO. All the presenters pulling out actually has diluted the cultures wars as it can’t be claimed they’re unprincipled. It’s also had the group who call the BBC a haven for the liberal WOKEY types defending its balance, which I find hugely entertaining.

From a negative standpoint it’s meant we’re all talking about Lineker when we should be talking about what a poor piece of legislation the boat bill is.

*before anyone gets all excited, I’m not talking about the principle of stopping boats, I’m on about the wolf whistling, ineffective and unworkable bill presented.

I agree with the principle of trying to stop the boats, innocent people are dying and criminals are gaining entry to the UK, all at the same time.

Truhtfully though, Gwyn, could we have expected anything better from this government. I am far from a Labour supporter but we have to have a GE, we have to have change. This government are completely and utterly useless.
Gary Winston Lineker on 14:29 - Mar 12 with 1220 viewsGwyn737

Gary Winston Lineker on 14:20 - Mar 12 by SullutaCreturned

I agree with the principle of trying to stop the boats, innocent people are dying and criminals are gaining entry to the UK, all at the same time.

Truhtfully though, Gwyn, could we have expected anything better from this government. I am far from a Labour supporter but we have to have a GE, we have to have change. This government are completely and utterly useless.

I’m with you Cat.

I’ve never actually met anyone who would like open borders (although no doubt some exist)

I’d just like to policy that’ll work. The one put forward is impossible to implement so they’ve just gone and added in inflammatory language to sound tough.
Gary Winston Lineker on 14:39 - Mar 12 with 1213 viewsonehunglow

What a subject
An ex footballer headline news in all the papers.
For stating something completely unacceptable and plain wrong ,yet his unciius chums laud him .
Football chock full of hypocrites.
None of them boycotted the filthy World Cup .

Look at the state we re in

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Gary Winston Lineker on 16:01 - Mar 12 with 1156 viewsReslovenSwan1

Gary is the "poster boy" of the BBC. He symbolises their ethos and principles. He is squeaky clean cut at least on the surface with his cheekie chappie persona. He represents the BBC. Ant and Dec do this for ITV.

Your gran loves Gary and so do footballs fans. In order to pay less tax the BBC indulge his every whim. They give him freelancer status to pay cooperation tax rather than income tax. Gary has is own Production company employing a Labour party spin doctor Alistair Campbell)

I want to work for BT Sport (no problem Gary) I want to advertise junk food (no problem Gary) I want to go to Qatar (no problem Gary) I want my mates to come Wrighty and Shearer (no problem Gary). " You are the man Gary our poster boy and do not forget it. A national icon. Who can forget that Gazza moment, That is why we pay you £40k a week".

"Hey Gary mate you need to tone it down with the tweets"

"Up yours I am Gary Lineker ex England captain and i do what like as I was discussing with Jonathan Ross the other day. He told me to join him in ITV". "Ant has been driving a hard bargain for his new deal"
[Post edited 12 Mar 2023 16:06]

Wise sage since Toshack era

Gary Winston Lineker on 17:40 - Mar 12 with 1108 viewswaynekerr55

Gary Winston Lineker on 16:01 - Mar 12 by ReslovenSwan1

Gary is the "poster boy" of the BBC. He symbolises their ethos and principles. He is squeaky clean cut at least on the surface with his cheekie chappie persona. He represents the BBC. Ant and Dec do this for ITV.

Your gran loves Gary and so do footballs fans. In order to pay less tax the BBC indulge his every whim. They give him freelancer status to pay cooperation tax rather than income tax. Gary has is own Production company employing a Labour party spin doctor Alistair Campbell)

I want to work for BT Sport (no problem Gary) I want to advertise junk food (no problem Gary) I want to go to Qatar (no problem Gary) I want my mates to come Wrighty and Shearer (no problem Gary). " You are the man Gary our poster boy and do not forget it. A national icon. Who can forget that Gazza moment, That is why we pay you £40k a week".

"Hey Gary mate you need to tone it down with the tweets"

"Up yours I am Gary Lineker ex England captain and i do what like as I was discussing with Jonathan Ross the other day. He told me to join him in ITV". "Ant has been driving a hard bargain for his new deal"
[Post edited 12 Mar 2023 16:06]

Back to the topic:

That's fine as long as the rules apply to everyone. Neil, Sugar, Brady, Portillo, the Chair, the DG, the non execs

Everyone. Or not at all

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Gary Winston Lineker on 17:52 - Mar 12 with 1092 viewsGwyn737

Gary Winston Lineker on 17:40 - Mar 12 by waynekerr55

Back to the topic:

That's fine as long as the rules apply to everyone. Neil, Sugar, Brady, Portillo, the Chair, the DG, the non execs

Everyone. Or not at all

It’s odd, isn’t it? Those calling Lineker out for inconsistencies said nothing when Sugar (for example) was tweeting away to his hearts content.

Edit : I take that back. Calling someone out for something they HAVEN’T said in the past is a *****’s trick.

It’s more not acknowledging it now.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2023 17:54]
Gary Winston Lineker on 19:15 - Mar 12 with 1038 viewsmajorraglan

Andrew Neil was a political analysis so of course he would put across his analysis of politics. Just as Alastair Campbell was Tony Blairs director of communications and would put across labour's spin.

Gary Lineker is a sport presenter and under his terms of contract is supposed to be political neutral. Even you can understand that.

Double standards.
If Neil can claim his tweets stem from his role at the Spectator, then Lineker could equally claim his comments stem from his involvement in his standalone Podcast company which has its own political division and produces the “The Rest is Politics” show.

There needs to be consistency on this, we can’t have double standards which is seemingly where we’re at. It can’t be ok for Neil to comment whereas Lineker can’t say anything, seemingly because the government like what they’re hearing from one but not the other.
Gary Winston Lineker on 19:17 - Mar 12 with 1034 viewsGwyn737

Gary Winston Lineker on 19:51 - Mar 12 with 997 viewsonehunglow

Gary Winston Lineker on 20:15 - Mar 9 by Wingstandwood

The bloke is a virtue signaling WOKE attention seeking dim-wit just like the rest of the merry gang of man-child: commonsense free and critical thinking skills free weaklings.

The bottom line and bleeding bloody obvious fact is that any country with weak border enforcement that accepts unvetted individuals whom deliberately throw away their passports/I.D into the sea to create a new identity?..... That country then enters into “to every action there is an opposite and equal reaction” territory.

Future repercussions of hey! SOCA are worried, the police are worried, intelligence services are worried and border force members are worried.

“All refugees welcome” (no questions asked) applies only to immature loons oblivious to possible repercussions of!!!! Albanians refugees escaping from what exactly?

The U.K has now become the ideal destination and safe house for terrorist sleeper cells, on the run murderers, most wanted fugitives, justice escapees, bail absconders, Albanian narco state drugs gangs, (I have seen a few myself) slave labour workers, and criminals.

The fact that a guy (posing as a 14 yr old) who was wanted for two murders gained U.K entry only to go on to murder again would ring alarm bells in the minds of those who do not belong to the thicko man-child WOKE club.

Ditto the child rapist of a 12 year old who is trying to get here as this discussion is (arrived yet?) underway! Border control and deportation is a necessity meant to keep undesirables out to protect U.K citizens. Some idiots want it scrapped! Some idiots do not want borders! Some idiots do not want legislation to prevent future murders, rapes and drug deaths!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/afghan-migrant-28-who-was-deported-after-r

Simply the best post ever on here
Can’t follow that

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Gary Winston Lineker on 20:12 - Mar 12 with 972 viewsDr_Parnassus

Gary Winston Lineker on 17:52 - Mar 12 by Gwyn737

It’s odd, isn’t it? Those calling Lineker out for inconsistencies said nothing when Sugar (for example) was tweeting away to his hearts content.

Edit : I take that back. Calling someone out for something they HAVEN’T said in the past is a *****’s trick.

Depends if it was discussed with those people you refer to within the thread.

Like when people got outraged about Jan 6th “riot” but said nothing about the 12 months of rioting previously despite being active in the conversation threads.

What people DONT say is often more revealing than what they do.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Gary Winston Lineker on 20:43 - Mar 12 with 961 viewsWingstandwood

Gary Winston Lineker on 19:51 - Mar 12 by onehunglow

Simply the best post ever on here
Can’t follow that

For some utterly inexplicable reason WOKE idiots want the complete abandonment of border control, deportation and deterrents used to protect U.K citizens.

Now everybody who is not an absolute thicko knows that border control has been a vital facet of functioning society since time immemorial. Apparently that is Third Reich stuff nowadays.

I, you (and I guess many others) have noticed over the last few years that there are many nut-job lunatics out there, whom are more than obviously utterly desperate for all kinds of dangerous and ruinous lunacy. Some seem to want the breakdown of society and law and order itself.

Stuff like zero border control, defunding the police, wanting zero prison sentences for offenders by wanting an (their words) "holistic approach" instead, and other insanity like innocence fraud projects wanting to free child killers despite obvious guilt etc.

This is where the U.K finds itself, staggering to contemplate. Whatever happened to grown-up common sense?

Argus!

Gary Winston Lineker on 20:50 - Mar 12 with 939 viewsGwyn737

Gary Winston Lineker on 20:43 - Mar 12 by Wingstandwood

For some utterly inexplicable reason WOKE idiots want the complete abandonment of border control, deportation and deterrents used to protect U.K citizens.

Now everybody who is not an absolute thicko knows that border control has been a vital facet of functioning society since time immemorial. Apparently that is Third Reich stuff nowadays.

I, you (and I guess many others) have noticed over the last few years that there are many nut-job lunatics out there, whom are more than obviously utterly desperate for all kinds of dangerous and ruinous lunacy. Some seem to want the breakdown of society and law and order itself.

Stuff like zero border control, defunding the police, wanting zero prison sentences for offenders by wanting an (their words) "holistic approach" instead, and other insanity like innocence fraud projects wanting to free child killers despite obvious guilt etc.

This is where the U.K finds itself, staggering to contemplate. Whatever happened to grown-up common sense?

Who wants that?

I’ve certainly not seen anyone on here advocate those things and there’s a pretty good cross section of opinions on this forum.
Gary Winston Lineker on 22:12 - Mar 12 with 868 viewsKilkennyjack

Nope - you cant treat people differently.

When BBC people like Lord Sugar support the Tory government on social media, nothing is said.
When BBC people like Lineker oppose the Tory government on social media, then the cry baby English Tory MPs want the man sacked.

Thats the difference.

If Lineker supported the Tory government then nothing would have been said.

Beware of the Risen People

Gary Winston Lineker on 23:04 - Mar 12 with 851 viewsBadgeman

Gary Winston Lineker on 17:52 - Mar 12 by Gwyn737

They can’t acknowledge the inconsistencies because most of the conservative minded on this forum have abandoned any semblance of actual principles or intellectual honesty because it’s the only way to maintain their world view.

What really energises them is policy and rhetoric that separates people into “in groups” and “out groups”. They’ll cheer and support the politicians or institutions which punish the “right” out groups all day long.

This thread has been a fantastic of it. All the people who usually sh*t their pants over cancel culture and “wokeness” destroying free speech are happy to see a football pundit hauled off air for one tweet because they don’t actually believe any of it. They just want to see the “out group” punished and the accusations of hypocrisy don’t ever touch them because they don’t really believe anything beyond punishing the out group.

The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is reason.
Poll: Is Huw's position untenable?

Gary Winston Lineker on 23:42 - Mar 12 with 838 viewsBoundy

Gary Winston Lineker on 23:04 - Mar 12 by Badgeman

They can’t acknowledge the inconsistencies because most of the conservative minded on this forum have abandoned any semblance of actual principles or intellectual honesty because it’s the only way to maintain their world view.

What really energises them is policy and rhetoric that separates people into “in groups” and “out groups”. They’ll cheer and support the politicians or institutions which punish the “right” out groups all day long.

This thread has been a fantastic of it. All the people who usually sh*t their pants over cancel culture and “wokeness” destroying free speech are happy to see a football pundit hauled off air for one tweet because they don’t actually believe any of it. They just want to see the “out group” punished and the accusations of hypocrisy don’t ever touch them because they don’t really believe anything beyond punishing the out group.

You should have prefixed your post with "imo " otherwise posters will think its true

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Gary Winston Lineker on 06:53 - Mar 13 with 796 viewswaynekerr55

Gary Winston Lineker on 20:43 - Mar 12 by Wingstandwood

Nobody of sound mind wants that. Is it really too much to ask for safe routes (thus taking away the boats), processing of applications and a proper border force as opposed to skeleton staff often from a crony contract (Serco).

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024