Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? 06:14 - Aug 18 with 3781 viewsTummer_from_Texas

By way of brief introduction, I only started following the Premier League last year (like a lot of Americans) when every game became available on TV. I was soon drawn to Swansea for a few reasons - always wanted to see Wales, small town team that rose from practically the dead several years ago, the novelty of being one of 2 (at that time...poor Cardiff lol) non - English clubs. I also noticed that it seems like 99% of the USA roots for a Man U or Liverpool or Spurs (ironically, also, the name of my NBA love in San Antonio) or Chelsea type big name, which wasn't really style, if I'm going to shamelessly jump on somebody's bandwagon.

So they gradually became "my team," to the point I was looking forward to Saturday more than any association football game I remember, other than a USA World Cup match.

So for me, it was obviously my favorite moment so far as a brand new fan. But I've been wondering all weekend about where early Saturday morning (for me) might rank, had I been a fan for 10, 20, or 30 years or more? Top 10 or 20 or even in that sort of discussion?

I know the press and other opinions seem to be minimizing the win a bit, acting like this just shows that Man U sucks this year by their standards. But it sure seemed like most of these same people had them predicted in the Top 4, though few think they'll be the Champions. And this was the first ever SC win at OT, and the first opening day loss there for them in 42 years, and there seems to be a lot of apprehension about this club after losing Michu and a few others. So I know it's just the first game in a long season, yada yada yada, but I'd imagine it would still be in the top 10 of greatest Swans victories, unless there is a lot more notable history in the last 10-30 years than I realized.

I guess the Bradford City win in Feb 13 was historic (if not difficult) just for the trophy it won, and I imagine there were at least a couple of pivotal matches in promotion years like 1981 and 2011 that were way more important than Saturday. But in y'all's own experiences, where does Saturday honestly rank? And what great memories does it fall below?

Thanks for "listening," and I am looking so forward to shocking the sh1te out of a few more big name English teams this season. That was pretty cool. :-)

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 06:54 - Aug 18 with 2798 viewsepaul

Welcome aboard, Saturday was a great win, another milestone in the annuls of Swansea city, definately in our top 10 (for me)

Bigger games or important that we have won, the most important in my mind was Hull 4-2, Reading 4-2 play off final, leeds 5-1 81, preston 3-1 81, Spurs 3-1 81 (made the cockerel cry) anytime we beat the scum. I'm sure I've left 1 or 2 out

What do you think of our roster

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 07:05 - Aug 18 with 2778 viewsAndy1300

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 06:54 - Aug 18 by epaul

Welcome aboard, Saturday was a great win, another milestone in the annuls of Swansea city, definately in our top 10 (for me)

Bigger games or important that we have won, the most important in my mind was Hull 4-2, Reading 4-2 play off final, leeds 5-1 81, preston 3-1 81, Spurs 3-1 81 (made the cockerel cry) anytime we beat the scum. I'm sure I've left 1 or 2 out

What do you think of our roster

Surely you mean 1978 when we beat them 1-3 and made the cockerel cry (league cup)

Number 1 team in Wales

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 07:07 - Aug 18 with 2775 viewsdgt73

Hello Tummer always nice to meet a new Swans fan. Saturdays result was big and will be talked about for many years, but there have been much bigger games for the Swans during my time as a fan:- hull in 2003, Nottingham forest (twice) in 2011, reading 2011, Chelsea (semi-final) 2013, Bradford (final) 2013 and could also count Northampton (1997) Barnsley (2006) Huddersfield (1994) cardiff (2008).
[Post edited 18 Aug 2014 7:08]

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 07:41 - Aug 18 with 2720 viewsbermudajack

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 07:07 - Aug 18 by dgt73

Hello Tummer always nice to meet a new Swans fan. Saturdays result was big and will be talked about for many years, but there have been much bigger games for the Swans during my time as a fan:- hull in 2003, Nottingham forest (twice) in 2011, reading 2011, Chelsea (semi-final) 2013, Bradford (final) 2013 and could also count Northampton (1997) Barnsley (2006) Huddersfield (1994) cardiff (2008).
[Post edited 18 Aug 2014 7:08]

Right up there with the 2-0 win at Arsenal a couple of seasons ago,

Poll: Priority for new manager?

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 07:42 - Aug 18 with 2720 viewsQuakerJack

In the grand scheme of things it wasn't that big. We beat a far better Arsenal side 2-0 at the Emirates... and that's just the premier league era. Hull for me has to be the biggest in our history. If that had been lost the last ten years would have been vastly different.

Tummer, welcome aboard, in order to appreciate where the Swans are I'd urge you to get on YouTube and watch the documentary about the Hull game. Maybe do some brief reading first about the context of the game, read a bit about a guy named Tony Petty and the troubles we had under his ownership. Only then will you truly be able to understand just how big saturday was.

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 07:46 - Aug 18 with 2702 viewsNeath_Jack

Do you like Cheap Trick?

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 07:46 - Aug 18 with 2703 viewsRancid

Nice post and welcome.I'd say that was top 5 in my time watching the Swans and our best win in the top flight.We've had more important wins like the Hull game and Preston and Reading and of course the cup triumph v Bradford but that win Saturday for me was our best since we've been in the Premier League and that includes winning in Valencia and at Arsenal and beating Chelsea in the semi final over 2 legs.

Writing that out makes me realize just how many great wins we've achieved of late.You could also say beating the league champions Man City as well.

Saturdays win was so so sweet though given we were meant to roll and be put to the sword by this new United revolution.It just didn't happen.
Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 08:11 - Aug 18 with 2658 viewsEdmundo

Welcome aboard!

For me the biggest wins have been;

Hull game
Reading game
Chelsea away semi
Man Utd away league
Man Utd cup
Forest playoff game
Bradford-Capital 1 cup final

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

Login to get fewer ads

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 08:16 - Aug 18 with 2646 viewsParlay

My top 10 off the top of my head. (But this ranks 6th to answer your question directly)

1) West Ham FA Cup will remain my favourite (home and away) in terms of a football achievement
2) THAT Hull game. Not glamorous but mighty important!
3) Reading play off final closely behind
4) Bradford League Cup final, although pretty much a non event
5) Chelsea over two legs in the semis
6) This Man united win
7) The arsenal away win
8) Forest home and away play offs.
9) Carlisle LDV trophy
10) Swansea 3-2 Cardiff Pratley volley winner.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 08:16 - Aug 18 with 2645 viewsJonathans_coat

Nothing will probably top the 2003 Hull game in my lifetime! The sheer nervousness and terror before the game, and the relief and euphoria after! The stakes have never been as high, if we lose, oblivion, if we win, salvation! The existence of the football club was at stake, not just trophies and accolades. The game itself was incredible, swinging back and forth, and the finale was superb, courtesy of James Thomas! Still my favourite ever swans goal, that was the moment we knew we were saved!

Somebody kindly put a highlights video of the the Hull game up for new fans to see, and long time fans to remember. Can never watch it enough times!
Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 08:21 - Aug 18 with 2635 viewsjacksinceever

Away from home, surely one of the greatest league wins. Many great wins some already mentioned - Spurs 3-1 League Cup, Liverpool 1964 FA Cup, Stoke 1964 FA Cup, Ipswich 3-2 First Division, Sheffield United FA Cup (3-0) 6 January 2007, Preston 3-1 to gain promotion 1981.
A brilliant win on Saturday nevertheless
Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 08:29 - Aug 18 with 2615 viewsepaul

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 07:05 - Aug 18 by Andy1300

Surely you mean 1978 when we beat them 1-3 and made the cockerel cry (league cup)

Yes of course 78 my apologies, as for the Spurs result I just put our goals first even though yeah it was at white hart lane

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 09:44 - Aug 18 with 2525 viewsphact0rri

Oh a new supporter from the states, howdy! Good on you, there's a few of us peppered around here. So you just selected Swansea as your club, because your keen on wales and liked the story, nothing wrong with that. A shame you just came onto it this past season, the season before was quite glorious. Its actually when I reaquainted myself with Swans football. Which was probably a mixture between being homesick and random chance. Watching the Swans killing it in the FA cup put a football bug in me I never actually had when I lived in the UK. And in the US I was never very keen on the sports here.

As to your questions... that Reading match is fantastic and if you get a chance you should try to find it. The arsenal win at the FA cup was great. the 3-1 victory over Cardiff last season just for the sheer delight.

This one is nice, but we also beat them in the FA campaign, so we knew we could do it. But it was a little uncertain, its hard not to have a little fear of LVG after the World cup, and how our preseason adventures came out. So good times.

The other great bit, is being in the states, everyone knows Manchester United.. barely anyone knows Swansea City. But now you can brag about your club and how they tossed the red devils. Coworker of mine was on about how great Manchester United was going to do this season. I'll be all grins tomorrow. :)

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 09:50 - Aug 18 with 2514 viewslidojack

It's a shining reflection on the rise we've had that only one person has mentioned Valencia. We beat the eventual semi-finalists and one of Europe's biggest clubs 3-1 on their own patch, that's got to be up there.

For the record the United result would probably rank in my top 10 as I only go back as far as the early 90's.
Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 09:58 - Aug 18 with 2497 viewsStarsky

Hi Tummer,
I don't know how to rate it really.
It was certainly a famous victory and should be in my top 10.
However, I'm sure somebody might agree with me on this...
It was the first game of the season and for me there have been only 2 historic, eurphoric season openers for Swansea City.
This one and the 1981 Leeds 5-1 victory. The Leeds one remains my second all time favourite Swans win, second only to Preston away, the previous season.
What was great about yesterday was the One finger to the media darlings, proving them wrong once again.
It's what Swansea City do best.

It's just the internet, init.

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 10:00 - Aug 18 with 2487 viewsDyfnant

Away at Bury 0 - 1. The game that gave us promotion on the final game and momentum going into league 1 in a new stadium. Thank you Kenny Jackett et al

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 10:07 - Aug 18 with 2465 viewsDarran

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 07:46 - Aug 18 by Neath_Jack

Do you like Cheap Trick?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 11:49 - Aug 18 with 2360 viewsSwansea_Viking

Welcome aboard Tummer.

I have been watching the Swans since 1971 and it has been one hell of a roller coaster ride. It is fair to say however that the last decade or so has been unbelievable so to pick one favourite is hard. Like many others I have picked similar games and my (non-exhaustive) list is as follows:

THAT Hull game. Never ever been so nervous during a game especially when we were losing 2 1
Reading play off final. Mind blowing Day. Absolutely mind blowing and the day I think Hymns and Arias truly became our song.
Forest Home in Playoffs. When Pratley scored THAT goal and Brendan went off on his run, the stadium actually shook!
Bradford League Cup final, although pretty much a mismatch but the fact that we won a major trophy for first time
Chelsea over two legs in the cup semis (Ball Boy gate!)
Saturdays game against LVG
The Arsenal away win
The arsenal home win. Wow what a game where we out arsenaled arsenal!
Man united win FA Cup
West Ham FA Cup Home and Away. Fantastic atmosphere at Upton Park and what a game down the vetch. On my Birthday too! Psycho’s goal and Rogers save (from a Ruddock Piledriver I think it was.
Carlisle LDV trophy with Trundles wonder goal.
Chesterfield promotion game 1978
Leeds 5 — 1 First game in old first division. Latchford Hat Trick.
Wycombe semi final of autoglass — First time at Wembley for the Swans. I think the ref played 7 minutes extra time, may as well have been seven hours!

There is a new movie about the rise of the Swans due out soon called A Jack to a King. http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jack-king-swansea-city

You Stupid Boy!

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 11:57 - Aug 18 with 2341 viewsperchrockjack

I ll go with Bury games too.

Seems to be a catalyst, Twas a fantastic atmosphere at Gigg Lane

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 13:28 - Aug 18 with 2264 viewsRuDeMan1970

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 11:49 - Aug 18 by Swansea_Viking

Welcome aboard Tummer.

I have been watching the Swans since 1971 and it has been one hell of a roller coaster ride. It is fair to say however that the last decade or so has been unbelievable so to pick one favourite is hard. Like many others I have picked similar games and my (non-exhaustive) list is as follows:

THAT Hull game. Never ever been so nervous during a game especially when we were losing 2 1
Reading play off final. Mind blowing Day. Absolutely mind blowing and the day I think Hymns and Arias truly became our song.
Forest Home in Playoffs. When Pratley scored THAT goal and Brendan went off on his run, the stadium actually shook!
Bradford League Cup final, although pretty much a mismatch but the fact that we won a major trophy for first time
Chelsea over two legs in the cup semis (Ball Boy gate!)
Saturdays game against LVG
The Arsenal away win
The arsenal home win. Wow what a game where we out arsenaled arsenal!
Man united win FA Cup
West Ham FA Cup Home and Away. Fantastic atmosphere at Upton Park and what a game down the vetch. On my Birthday too! Psycho’s goal and Rogers save (from a Ruddock Piledriver I think it was.
Carlisle LDV trophy with Trundles wonder goal.
Chesterfield promotion game 1978
Leeds 5 — 1 First game in old first division. Latchford Hat Trick.
Wycombe semi final of autoglass — First time at Wembley for the Swans. I think the ref played 7 minutes extra time, may as well have been seven hours!

There is a new movie about the rise of the Swans due out soon called A Jack to a King. http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jack-king-swansea-city

Welcome to the Swansea City family, Tummer. You can now proudly call yourself a "Jack B@st@rd"! I've been watching the Swans since 1978 and have to say that Swansea Viking sums things up perfectly with his choices, though I'd place some of them into a different order (but now I'm just bloody nit-picking). ENJOY THE RIDE...

..."who will guard the guards..?"

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 16:23 - Aug 18 with 2163 views3swan

Can't rate it but I'm sure I've been more impressed with other results in our history, many have already been mentioned.

Strange as it might seem, and it was a very good result, it was against a team that finished 5 places above us last season. Many other games have been more against the odds.

Just shows how far we have come
Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 16:40 - Aug 18 with 2128 viewsmorningstar

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 11:57 - Aug 18 by perchrockjack

I ll go with Bury games too.

Seems to be a catalyst, Twas a fantastic atmosphere at Gigg Lane

One thing that is often forgotten or overlooked about the Bury game is that we actually started the day outside of the automatic places.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 16:50 - Aug 18 with 2103 viewsDarran

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 16:40 - Aug 18 by morningstar

One thing that is often forgotten or overlooked about the Bury game is that we actually started the day outside of the automatic places.

Well said G.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 16:50 - Aug 18 with 2100 viewsSkipTheJack

I'd say beating Manchester United away in the Premier League is probably the most impressive result in our history.

But there have been MANY far more important games over the years.

There's definitely a difference between the impressiveness of victories over Man U and Arsenal away, and the importance of victories over Reading, Hull, Preston, Bradford, etc. Untimately, beating Man U, Man City or Arsenal will probably not make any difference to our season overall, whereas victories over lesser teams in important matches changes the course of our history.
Straw poll from newbie Swanfan: where does Sat rate since YOU have been a fan? on 16:53 - Aug 18 with 2095 viewsUltraAmericanJack

Happy to hear another American fan has caught the bug. The United result was definitely up there with my favorites, maybe top 10 or so. I've been a fan since 1991 and as far as results since I've been around...

1-1 Huddersfield (3-1 pens.) 1994 Autoglass - first bit of success I actually remember.
4-2 Hull 2003- that James Thomas chip for the 4th still gives me goosebumps!
0-1 Bury 2005
4-2 Reading 2011- probably the only football game that's ever made me sob like a baby.
3-0 Cardiff 2014 - just to do them over in the Prem was bliss.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024