Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car dented by third party in car park and refused to give insurance details help 15:46 - Apr 25 with 5039 viewsRangersDave

Hi chaps,

If your advice is to forget about it then i shall do, but....

An hour ago while parked and in my car (its a lease one) the passenger of the car parked next to me threw their passenger door open without any regard to my vehicle with quite a force. It dented the door (about the size of a penny piece, and took the bottom of the dent back to basic black primer which is under the white undercoat. it also chipped the door handle down to the white primer and left an 8 inch vertical 'scratch',that is down to the white primer.

The passenger, a lad (about 16) apologised and i got out of the car to look at the damage. I then started to take photographs and by opening their car door (no objection from them), showed them that the markings lined up perfectly with the damage on my car. To which the mother then said you did that to yourself, by opening our door, you can do one and feck off.

I asked for insurance details to which she refused, and she got in her cer and drove off after much f'ing etc.

Now as its a lease car, i will be liable to any damage on return, and as such i am very anal about where i park, how i park and making sure i treat my vehicle (because of possible damage) with respect.

So what do i do now?

I have the date and timed photographs that show the damage and also pics which show their door lining up perfectly with the damage, plus i have their registration number.

What do i do now? advice please.

Cheers
Dave
[Post edited 25 Apr 2020 15:48]

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Car dented by third party in car park and refused to give insurance details help on 15:52 - Apr 25 with 4253 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Hi Dave.

I'd report it to the police and notify the insurance company. Give both the photos and a statement.

Then pray that she was a Chelsea fan.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Car dented by third party in car park and refused to give insurance details help on 16:08 - Apr 25 with 4205 views2Thomas2Bowles

What Brian said, hope you have the reg number? (whoops I see you do) any witnesses?

It may also be worth seeing if the car park has CCTV, ask and notify if they do.

I think refusing to give Insurance details is a criminal matter, so the plod may go to their home.

I would do it now on 101

Edit

There are many serious consequences that you could face if you fail to report an accident, including the possibility of being charged with leaving the scene of an accident. A driver who is charged with this could face fines as high as $2,000, with jail time, and a license suspension that could last for two years.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2020 16:12]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Car dented by third party in car park and refused to give insurance details help on 16:17 - Apr 25 with 4178 viewskensalriser

Probably a police matter, but def call your insurer. Ideally it will be covered under uninsured loss and they will recover the loss from the other party.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Car dented by third party in car park and refused to give insurance details help on 17:17 - Apr 25 with 4092 viewsTonto

Make the claim ad usual. If you have legal cover they will sort it free.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Car dented by third party in car park and refused to give insurance details help on 17:27 - Apr 25 with 4074 viewsqpr_1968

deffinately don't forget about it, just by the pure arrogance of the mum.

follow up with all the evidence that you've got.....hope you take them to the cleaners, good luck.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Car dented by third party in car park and refused to give insurance details help on 18:08 - Apr 26 with 3835 viewsRangersDave

cheers guys,

Reported to the police and received an incident number
Reported to insurers, and had a receipt

Pics sent to both, where i have shown the impossibility of self inflicted damage on my behalf due to car door lengths (hers was a 2 door fiesta or focus and those doors are long, whereas my Tucson's doors and shorter, so the damage could not have been caused by me. The pics also show a re-enactment of their door open and it shows all points of damage on my car like up perfectly, to the damage spots on my door)
I'll let you know how it goes, and thanks for your advice / help.
Cheers
Dave

Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Car dented by third party in car park and refused to give insurance details help on 18:10 - Apr 26 with 3833 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Good stuff. Well done.

Car dented by third party in car park and refused to give insurance details help on 18:34 - Apr 26 with 3798 viewsBoston

You seem to have forgotten about the whiplash....Messrs Sue, Grabbit & Runne.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Car dented by third party in car park and refused to give insurance details help on 19:03 - Apr 26 with 3764 viewsThe_Beast1976

Excellent. That'll teach the ignorant cow when the plod get in touch with her about leaving the scene of an accident and refusing to provide insurance details (irrespective of fault, both of these things are a criminal offence)

Car dented by third party in car park and refused to give insurance details help on 09:50 - Apr 27 with 3552 viewsRangersDave

Dibble have come back to me and said 'no further action'!

one part of me thinks.... yup, they are busy, so they cannot do everything, but the other half says 'feck me, you lazy bastewards, sitting there doing sweet FA (and i can take any of you to local areas where they just sit and read books) go out and give the bitch a good drubbing (sweeny fan here).

Oh well, maybe the insurance boys and girls will do something as otherwise i'm paying for the repair myself and being a big door, with nice shiny metallic paint, it wont be cheap, and a replacement door handle etc. Oh the hassles of having a lease car!

Come on Urrrrrssssss. ..... Oh hang on!

Car dented by third party in car park and refused to give insurance details help on 10:09 - Apr 27 with 3525 viewsrrrspricey

Did the fuzz give you an explanation Dave? I'd be demanding one...maybe because it didn't happen on public highway makes a difference?

Car dented by third party in car park and refused to give insurance details help on 10:21 - Apr 27 with 3506 viewsfrancisbowles

Other avenues you could explore are Citizens Advice and Small Claims Court.

Small claims is relatively inexpensive and I believe can make judgments on amounts up to a £1000. The burden of proof would be on a balance of probabilities. So you may have a good chance.

The CAB may be able to offer expert advice on whether you should make a claim and how to go about it. They have some very good people from legal backgrounds volunteering for them.

Car dented by third party in car park and refused to give insurance details help on 10:21 - Apr 27 with 3506 viewsJeff

Spent years doing RTA claims, including this sort of thing in a previous life.

Police won't get involved apart from giving you a reference number, which is basically all you need anyway to show that you've gone through the reporting channels. What has happened between you and the Other woman / kid is a civil matter, not a criminal one, so they're not going to smash the door down demanding insurance details.

Assuming the woman is insured, the insurance company of your vehicle (leased or not) can track down the owner details in seconds, so a registration plate may be enough.

you can actually check the status of the vehicle here: https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

if the user is uninsured, then there is an organisation called the MIB (not that one...) who then take cases where the driver of a car was uninsured.

Can we not knock it?

Car dented by third party in car park and refused to give insurance details help on 10:49 - Apr 27 with 3470 viewsRangersDave

Good news is the link posted here shows she was insured..... thats a relief.

Will now wait for the insurers to process it all.

Cops say they will pass on the case to CDU (no idea) who will look into whether an offence has been committed? I thought driving away from this situation without exchanging details was an offence?

Maybe i'm getting old..... and they told me we would all be buzzing around on jet packs by now, feck!

Car dented by third party in car park and refused to give insurance details help on 12:01 - Apr 27 with 3400 viewsRangersDave

Update from the 'bizzys', and i quote "your report has been recorded as a crime of public order.....i have reviewed the information you reported and although there were lines of enquiry i have used my discretion to file this matter as 'undetected PDR'!

Grrrrrrrrrr. :-[

Car dented by third party in car park and refused to give insurance details help on 12:54 - Apr 27 with 3347 viewsBoston

‘The Fuzz’! Now there’s a blast from the past.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Car dented by third party in car park and refused to give insurance details help on 13:33 - Apr 27 with 3274 viewsthame_hoops

good luck, it sounds cut and dry but I've been caught out before if there isn't a witness and they settled 50/50. the insurance company aren't going to think for a second that you opened their door and smashed your own door lol ludicrous she even said that

I've had a similar thing happen several times when I've been sat in the car and people wack your door and walk off, fortunately no damage as such but the nerve of people when you call then out on it, usually they're old enough to know better

Car dented by third party in car park and refused to give insurance details help on 00:15 - Apr 28 with 3068 viewsSuperhoops2808

For future reference, there is no legal requirement to exchange insurance details at the scene of an RTC, neither is there a requirement to report a damage only accident to police. But you can do it online to provide a record for your insurance company

Car dented by third party in car park and refused to give insurance details help on 01:38 - Apr 28 with 3050 viewsbob566

She'll have left paint from her car on yours unless you're very unlucky. Insurance company will have enough evidence from that.

Car dented by third party in car park and refused to give insurance details help on 01:45 - Apr 28 with 3046 viewsitsbiga

As long as you have the license plate I think you’re good. Some bloke refused to give me his deets a few years back. Just kept yelling that he was gonna knock me out. After saying that a few times and not doing it he shut up and drove off.
Insurance paid up eventually.

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Car dented by third party in car park and refused to give insurance details help on 21:01 - Apr 28 with 2874 viewsdigswellhoop

DONT CONTACT INSURANCE CO. my daughter had the same,she reported it and said she did it to make sure if they claimed she had done the right thing.She didnt pursue it ,but ibecause she informed them it has now been on her record for 5 years

Car dented by third party in car park and refused to give insurance details help on 22:34 - Apr 28 with 2821 viewsdistortR

well, just to show the other side, i drive a knackered old car (No MOT's over here!). About a year ago, i came out of the supermarket, and some fella was standing by my car. He was waiting to say that he had caught my car with his door and wanted to make recompense. Top man. I thanked him but said no worries. There are good people out there.

Car dented by third party in car park and refused to give insurance details help on 22:52 - Apr 28 with 2803 viewsBrianMcCarthy

An old lady was waiting by my car once as well saying she had scratched my car with her car door. There was no damage. But I knocked her block off.

Car dented by third party in car park and refused to give insurance details help on 22:59 - Apr 28 with 2784 viewshoopsa

harsh but fair.

Car dented by third party in car park and refused to give insurance details help on 08:45 - Apr 29 with 2695 viewsTimNiceBut

Many years ago we came back to my wife's car to the front bumper in pieces and a note on the windscreen with the details of who had done it. When I phoned them it was a distraught, very apologetic little old lady. She didn't want to go through the insurance and offered to pay for the repairs. It was an old Renault 5 and the front bumper was huge, and hugely expensive. I found one in a scrappers and fitted it myself to save the old dear some money. She was more than happy with that and then asked if I could fix her fiesta bumper. Cheeky mare.

Tim Nice But ... Ever Helpful

Tim Nice But ...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024