Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Confessions of an Anorak 15:05 - Aug 27 with 2579 viewsBrianMcCarthy

What's the most shockingly strange, slightly worrying, Trainspotting, Anorak-wearing thing you ever did in your love of the Rangers?

Wembley 5-a-Sides? Not even close!
Middlesex Senior Charity Cup? Come on!
Extensive Collection of QPR Mugs (no obvious jokes, please)? Ok, now we're talking...

I have many, but one of my worst was that I once went on a barge trip with five women and left the trip twice during the week to go see Rangers.

Looking back, I have Red moments "There's not a day goes by I don't feel regret... I look back on the way I was then, a young, stupid kid who committed that terrible crime. I want to talk to him. I want to try and talk some sense to him, tell him the way things are. But I can't. That kid's long gone and this old man is all that's left."
[Post edited 27 Aug 2020 15:05]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Confessions of an Anorak on 15:16 - Aug 27 with 2068 viewsblacky200

I think you have already won this contest . I think the only thing I can come up with is missing my (at the time) girlfriend's birthday party to go to Yeovil vs QPR in the FA Cup (the one with the sloping pitch)

Confessions of an Anorak on 15:36 - Aug 27 with 2028 viewsQPRSteve

I missed my cousin's wedding to a Chelcsum fan to watch us beat them for the first time in our history,

Seriously, who arranges a wedding before the fixture list comes out?

I met him a couple of year's later and found him to be a lovely guy. To loverly for the Scum, so me and my cousins converted him to QPR

Confessions of an Anorak on 15:44 - Aug 27 with 2006 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Are you the bloke from The Corrs?

Confessions of an Anorak on 16:00 - Aug 27 with 1972 viewsqprxtc

I’ve dedicated my whole f ucking adult life to QPR, XTC and Diesel Park f ucking West. That’s three crosses I’ve made for myself. Oh, and Guinness.

What’s worse is that there are more obsessed people out there than me (maybe not for the Diesel Park f ucking West one) so I’m not even the most obsessed in my
OCD/Asperger obsessions. Annoying.

I took my fiancé to Cardiff away for the FA cup game in 1990. The one where they tried to invade our end, fought with the police, hid underneath our coaches to have a go and we got kept in by the police for our own safety. Her first away game. 0-0.

The replay was on the Tuesday night. We won 2-0. Very happy, me. Got home to find my fiancé had been ringing to find out where I was. Apparently we’d made arrangements to go out to a restraint that night. Oops. My excuse? I said “But you went to the game on Saturday, you knew it was a draw and a replay. Why do you think I’d miss it after going to Cardiff?”.

I was left to look at my collection of QPR programmes on my own for many years after that.

Confessions of an Anorak on 16:00 - Aug 27 with 1975 viewsted_hendrix

I've got a QPR garden gnome, It's head snapped off years ago but I just cant throw it away, It was a present from Charlie. (my eldest).
The gnome lives in my garage where he's kept dry and reasonably comfortable plus not having a head he would fill up with water when its raining and probably drown.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Confessions of an Anorak on 16:03 - Aug 27 with 1954 viewsderbyhoop

Travelling from Derby to Plymouth to watch us get beat and spending the night in a caravan at Exmouth.. But striking 1 more ground off the list.

Driving round France with a "We are QPR" sticker in the car.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Confessions of an Anorak on 16:32 - Aug 27 with 1912 viewsLongsufferingR

Having been seeing my girlfriend (now my wife) for a couple of months, I thought it was high time for planning a weekend away. She loved the idea of a weekend break in the historical Potteries with a day at Alton Towers thrown in, so off we went. Unbeknown to her as we left, the Saturday afternoon would be spent at Vale Park watching us lose that crunch relegation match 2-0. Luckily she spent so long laughing at the nutter who decided to throw himself into the Vale fans after the 2nd goal that I just about got away with it.

Also temporarily left a stag do in Brighton during the afternoon to travel to LR and back for the deadest of dead rubbers, the 0-3 against Stockport where we had already been relegated and Olly played several 11 year olds.

Confessions of an Anorak on 16:45 - Aug 27 with 1872 viewsqueensparker

For a job application in the early 90s (one of those massive, complicated ones) I had to submit a section about "something that means a lot to me".

I got the ground to let me in and took loads of photos of me sitting in my seat in Ellerslie Road (where I still sit now) and put them on the form.

i didn't get the job.

Confessions of an Anorak on 16:47 - Aug 27 with 1869 viewsloftboy

Turned down a free weeks skiing to Austria in December 1989 because it would have meant missing Sheffield Wednesday away.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Confessions of an Anorak on 16:57 - Aug 27 with 1834 viewsstowmarketrange

I used to live a very short distance from tooting and mitchams old ground,and I found out that palace reserves were due to play Qpr reserves one afternoon,so I decided to pop along and watch it.
As the players ran out of the tunnel I shouted to Gavin McGuire,”Go get them physcho.”If looks could kill I wouldn’t be here now.
I think the attendance was about 10 and I seem to remember we won 2-1.

Confessions of an Anorak on 17:11 - Aug 27 with 1799 viewsqpr_1968

played slough away in a friendly, 1991 ish, don't even think it was the first team.
night game, left home (ladbroke grove) just after 7, paddington station to slough, cab to ground, got there 5 minutes into the second half.
thank god for peter kingham giving me a lift back to the station after the game, oh, and we lost......i think.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Confessions of an Anorak on 17:55 - Aug 27 with 1733 viewsdannyblue

I was going to say seeing a youth cup semi final against west ham to watch Kevin Gallen seemed a bit much, but on reflection I'm glad I went.

Once ran away after the service at a wedding at the orangery in holland park to catch the second half of rangers against blackpool - I think Peter Ramage scored, opening day of the season? - before getting back in time for the 'breakfast'. My mate the groom was a little offended, his new wife thankfully never found out.

Confessions of an Anorak on 20:46 - Aug 27 with 1586 viewsEsox_Lucius

I had been at a job in Greenford for around 8 years and they announced that the company would be moving to Didcot Oxfordshire and all employees would be offered a job once the relocation had taken place along with all estate agency fees, legal costs, moving costs and stamp duties etc. paid in full by the company. I let them know that it would mean that I couldn't follow QPR home and away so I would be taking the redundancy package on offer. My mind was made up when, in an attempt to make me change my mind, the MD informed me that there was a local professional team nearby that I could support.

The grass is always greener.

Confessions of an Anorak on 21:25 - Aug 27 with 1508 viewsE17hoop

I swerved my 25th wedding anniversary to watch us lose to Sunderland in the League Cup a couple of years ago.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Confessions of an Anorak on 21:25 - Aug 27 with 1508 viewsngbqpr

Skint 18 year olds thanks to the extra games in our unexpected 1982 FA Cup run, me and a mate still had a hankering to go to Barnsley away in April (tho promotion was by then unrealistic). So we decided to hitch, as you do.

Started off at Scratchwood services (now rebranded as London Gateway). Thought it best not to wear colours, but the Barnsley sign gave it away - the first car to stop said "you must be Rangers." However, our luck wasn't in, as they decided that in return for a door to door service, we should make a petrol contribution. We explained that wasn't an option we could afford, hence hitching. So they chucked us out at the next services - if the guilty party happens to be on here, I've never forgotten you b@stard!

We made kick off via about 3 different lifts...played rubbish...lost 3-0...got chased to the station by some Tykes...had enough £ to catch the local train, found our way to the M1...and no bugger would pick us up. My mate had a friend at uni in Leeds so managed to make it there. In the pre-mobile phone age, I somehow found a way to call my dad and get him to pay for my train ticket (where for half the journey I was intimidated by Derby fans on their way back from somewhere or other).

Got home about midnight.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Confessions of an Anorak on 21:47 - Aug 27 with 1458 viewsCiderwithRsie

When you say "the most transporting thing" do you mean geeky, or do you mean something involving black comedy, hopeless addiction to a mind-altering substance, being skint, all taking place in squalor in an inner city area?

'Cos I think we'll all done that, by definition.

Confessions of an Anorak on 22:26 - Aug 27 with 1412 viewsMatch82

Had a wedding to attend the day of the playoff final for one of the wife's friends in Michigan. Was eyeballing plane tickets from Chicago to Michigan so that I could watch the game in the pub with a few other QPR fans, would have given me 45 minutes after final whistle to get from pub to the airport, through security and on board (about a 20 minute taxi from the pub).

Bottled it in the end and went up the day before. Spent four days prior ringing every pub in Traverse City to see if they intended on opening at 6am and had the channel showing the game. Found one eventually, dragged the wife along and she played defence distracting the old timer at the bar who was trying to engage me in conversation while I was watching Richard Dunne make clearance after clearance. Woke most of the neighbourhood up when Zamora scored and was told to calm down by barman.

In hindsight probably for the best, I'd have been shtting bricks about missing extra time and penalties to catch my flight when the clock was on 89 minutes and wouldn't have been able to spend time celebrating with everyone even after Bobby time.

Confessions of an Anorak on 22:28 - Aug 27 with 1408 viewsMrSheen

When I got my house in Kerry, I painted blue and white hoops on the gateposts. I didn’t use proper masonry paint for the blue so they soon went a bit flaky. I was going to be in self isolation for two weeks this Summer so I thought I’d redo them. Day one, tape on the white, sand off the blue, proper outdoor primer. Day two, two coats of blue, looks great, then it rains for twenty four hours and most of it runs. Day 3 a write off, Day 4 sand off the scaly bits, another coat. Day 5, another coat on the safe side, looks great. Tear off the tapes for a proper look and loads of the white flakes off. Sand down all the white. Day 6, tape on the blue, primer on the white. Day 7, a couple of coats of white. Day 8, tape off the blue, very slowly, retouch a couple of tiny spots, and enjoy the view.

The worst of it, every time I picked up a brush, the farmer with the fields next to the house turned up in time to see me at it.

Confessions of an Anorak on 22:35 - Aug 27 with 1394 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Can imagine the farmer sitting down to his dinner ever evening and reporting to the family.

"Day seven, and that lad is still painting the two pillars".
"Hope he's not painting the house, too".

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Confessions of an Anorak on 01:40 - Aug 29 with 1182 viewsBoston

...more like that stupid English cont.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Confessions of an Anorak on 02:25 - Aug 29 with 1170 viewskarl

Yes, same old cup story.
£10 a ticket so thought 'that'll generate a bit of interest with the 50th anniversary stuff' so down from Orkney, Gus from IoM, Baz and Pat going to be good fun...
Yes.
As always meeting up was important and again overshadowed the game!

Confessions of an Anorak on 03:56 - Aug 29 with 1160 viewsPlanetHonneywood

While living in Phnom Penh, I discovered a channel showing Championship games after the then squeeze/now wife and I returned from holiday (QPR/Leicester (2010/11). I summonsed her to see and despite only a few minutes left, she seemed to have a positive effect and Miller scored late.

In fact it started to appear this positive effect was in actual fact, the Midas touch because she then watched a couple more games and we won those.

Fast forward to Cardiff away, and I ask if she’d like to spend the Saturday evening with myself and the three other Phnom Penh Rfosi at a bar to watch the game? She declined, preferring a quiet night in with a book, glass of wine and a soak in the tub.

Not sure what Warnock’s halftime chat included, mine was on the phone trying to persuade her to get out of the tub and go watch the second half! The call ended with: ‘you bloody owe me!’ When Taarabt equalised, my reply to her text was to implore her to stay put for a bit longer.

Sadly, the reality of physically attending has not been replicated. I brought her to the Leeds end of season game. We lost and her attendance record reads: P4 W0 L0 GF2 GA 11. Consequently, she’s banned. The only game she has followed since then: 24 May 2014!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Confessions of an Anorak on 10:05 - Aug 29 with 1039 viewsMrSheen

Harsh. Michaelangelo could have Artexed the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in a week and taken four years off, but the labours of an artist reward everyone.

Confessions of an Anorak on 10:52 - Aug 29 with 993 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I cycled through the mountains and deserts of Morocco for a week in 2012 wearing an Adel Taarabt t-shirt.

They came from miles around lining the streets of every village and every town I passed through.

“Bravo” they cried, “BRAVO!”

Well actually I met about two people who recognised him but that made it all the more sweeter

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Confessions of an Anorak on 11:04 - Aug 29 with 979 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Sorry I didn't mean to quote you there MrSheen

Poll: Expectations for this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024