Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview 10:04 - Sep 9 with 17847 viewsNorthernr

Spent some time yesterday afternoon with Warburton. Interview here, Patreon subs can download the audio.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/52847/warbs-talks-

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 20:53 - Sep 9 with 2004 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Great reply, Deja. Very detailed.

My comments.

1st para - spot on.

2nd para - I agree. FWIW (and pure looking in from the outside, so guesswork) my take on this is that some of the players weren't as sharp as the oppo for the first three games. After that, they were. But the playoffs were gone by then. If that were true, then if Warburton publicly expressed an opinion on readiness he would be publicly hanging players and/or staff. He'd be right not to. So he'd has to deflect.

3rd para - True, but he also dispelled with details the recent notion by some fans that we don't work on defending, including Inside Baseball revelations about a bonus/fine systems on defending set-pieces and clean sheets. This is extremely open.

4th para - I agree, but I think that some fans have ears only for selective phrases he uses of late, and don't hear other stuff that Warburton says. I know this is repetition, for example, but purely in the interests of fairness I've had to quote that he said last week that we have to be "ruthless in both boxes" because some us missed that completely. And also see below, Clive and MW form Clive's third real question, a highlight for me, but attracted very little comment elsewhere:

"What were the bigger disappointments?"
"That we conceded too many goals - soft goals that were avoidable....."

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 20:54 - Sep 9 with 2000 viewsEmpireStateRanger

My QPR fandom is pretty nascent compared to a lot of you. I've only had Ramsey, JFH, Holloway, McClaren and Warburton, so Mark is the belle of a pretty hideous ball.

Think he deserves some time here and hope we continue to show some progress on the field and in the accounting books. It would not be a good look if he could not make it through the season.

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 21:28 - Sep 9 with 1916 viewsqprxtc

I agreed with everything Mark said. Also what Clive said.

My opinion is that I think Mark Warburton is a trustworthy manager who is trying to do the right thing by a club that is eternally average. And always will be.

I trust him and enjoy his football style. I’m not going analyse the whole interview for any perceived weakness.

Good interview. I like the testiness and also that it was honest enough.

Time for bed.

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 21:47 - Sep 9 with 1894 viewskarl

I think he thrives in the (financial) situation we have and he has to blood through youngsters, academy rejects and lower league hopefuls but, there's a big but, I don't think he is of the opinion the fan base accept that fully.
He's probably peed off that others had Eze etc at their disposal but ultimately its on his watch he fully developed into a £20m asset, Bright, Manning being talked about for decent money too.
He's potentially losing these assets from the squad and I think he's being defensive that if we do dip lower in the league then what should we realistically expect?
I do feel he's positioning himself for a realistic critique of the teams performance rather than one based on facts that aren't actually relevant for this season.
Interestingly I think with a couple of the signings he's/we're making, relevant to defending set pieces, then we should improve, he's obviously targeted it so fingers crossed.
One thing he was criticised by opposition fans for in Scotland was his view that Rangers were always the better team and just had to 'be more ruthless' and they'd have won, never talked about the other team being better on the day.
Obviously this is his way of talking up his players and isn't always true of course.
I'm taking the view that a manager with fire in his belly who wants to develop the squad and be at the club himself is absolutely what we need and good to hear the interview overall

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 21:52 - Sep 9 with 1887 viewsMyke

Well at least he reads it Clive, which, considering the quality of your writing and your passion for the club has to be a positive. I wonder, for example, would he have been so candid about the poor quality of the the post -lockdown performances, if you hadn't been so critical of them at the time? Whatever you do, please don't 'water down' your opinion just because the eyes of the hierarchy may be on your work.

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 22:01 - Sep 9 with 1876 viewskarl

Of course he's probably tetchy with Clive because he disagrees totally with his views on the Scottish game where he learnt everything he knows. Perhaps

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 22:16 - Sep 9 with 1840 viewsgolborne

Use your own feckin eyes - Amos is nowhere near 6ft, Kakay, too.
And Dickie was so towering that we conceded 3 ffs. I really hope it works out
and he isn’t another Barbet. Who isn’t a bad player, just not ‘towering’

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 22:25 - Sep 9 with 1814 viewskarl

If MW is trying to defend himself, and the players, why wouldn't he say the players are actually smaller, doesn't make sense he's making out they're taller than they are?
If they're genuinely 5 inches smaller than their oppo then it's pretty much acceptable they're beaten in the air more often than not, it's an odd situation.

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 22:50 - Sep 9 with 1766 viewsdistortR

it's just a little problem.

FWIW, I liked the questions, I liked the answers and the passion in the answers.

Targets for this season are very hard to set when he doesn't necessarily know what the team will look like when the transfer window 'slams'(tm sky) shut.

if i was interested in manning and bright but thought they were optional, and being aware of their respective contract situations and what we have said about players running down contracts, I'd try a relatively lowish last minute bid.

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 23:06 - Sep 9 with 1747 viewsfrancisbowles

Amos is 5ft 10.5 ins
Kakay is 5ft 11
Dickie is 6ft 1.5 ins

according to transfermarket site.

I have to say Dickie looked taller on the stream.

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 23:24 - Sep 9 with 1721 views1JD

Not only are these data points captured in pre-season for BMI calculations (height and weight), they are also collected as part of scouting data when eyeing up a player, and in Dickies case- with a very specific remit to bring height and physicality into the team.

As for Kakay and Amos, both line up nigh on equal to Dom Ball who himself is 6 foot plus.

I am confident that Mark Warburton knows his players’ height far better than Wikepedia or Transfermarkt and is not lying Golborne.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2020 23:26]

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 23:32 - Sep 9 with 1701 viewsdistortR

ffs, if we have to look at the minutiae, can i suggest Ilias Chair?

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 23:53 - Sep 9 with 1670 viewsgigiisourgod

I really like Warburton but I really did not enjoy that interview, not one bit. Sorry Clive no disrespect in the slightest meant to you, thought you posed the questions really well.

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 00:08 - Sep 10 with 1650 viewsqprd

MW seemed a bit tetchy

His defense of Amos was odd. The bit about him closing down and pressing was really odd. Certainly not his attributes

As to the bit about number of appearances... this isn’t a participation contest.... I couldn’t care less abt games played bc I saw his contribution last year

It’s also weirdly circular.... mw defends player by pointing to his number of appearances... but he’s the one who picks the team

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 00:49 - Sep 10 with 1624 viewsgigiisourgod

Completely agree. Still whets the appetite for Saturday and is great to get such a behind closed doors interview with the gaffer, even if there was a lot said I didn’t necessarily agree with.

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 06:32 - Sep 10 with 1508 viewsNorthantsHoop

Interesting interview, what I like about Warburton is that he is realistic about the type of club QPR is and how it can develop. It is pretty clear to me that the objective is to build a sustainable, solvent Championship club. I like the fact that Rangers are getting their identity back and if progress continues through a policy of developing young players, buying sensibly and making profit on players that others want, then fine. The route to the Premier league is the goal for a club like Rangers, but it is no point in destroying it in the process. In my view Warburton was the right appointment and he and the rest of the management team are going in the right direction.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 6:33]

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 06:56 - Sep 10 with 1486 viewsWixamsR

I'm always surprised that fans are shocked by a manager backing his players. You can think that player x is completely useless, the manager may even share your opinion, however if the manager is relying on that player to do a job this season then he can hardly come out and say, 'yeah, fair point, he is shocking isn't he?!'

I'm glad to see the manager being a little tetchy to be honest, perhaps (unlikely) it will get some fans to hold back and think before throwing a whole load of criticism in the direction of the players. There is an illusion amongst football fans that footballers should be remain completely unaffected by criticism. They get paid enough, deal with it. It is the biggest load of rubbish out there. Good players can be turned to bad by constant criticism. I'm not and never was a good footballer, however I once played for a manager who berated every poor pass/decision the team made. The outcome? If you get a chance to play a defence splitting ball that has a 50% chance of coming off, you instead stick to the safe pass sideways to avoid the barrage of abuse you will get if it doesn't. If you believe that is any different in the professional game you're wrong.

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 09:02 - Sep 10 with 1339 viewsstevec

Interesting interview, though one I wish I hadn’t read, give him enough rope etc.

Shame, think he’s a good bloke but there’s a Barton/Leinster size hole in his strategy that he struggles to come to terms with. If a team ever reflected its manager, this is it. I’d be surprised if this ends well.

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 09:13 - Sep 10 with 1322 viewsGloryHunter

Great interview Clive, well done.
Warbs is playing the hand that has been dealt to him, and I like him. Criticism of the players is annoying and counter-productive. I have not missed one bit the group of supporters who sit behind me in UL and whose sole contribution every game is to groan and moan about every player - never a single shout of encouragement.

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 09:17 - Sep 10 with 1313 viewsTheChef

Surely it doesn't matter how tall you are, but how high you can jump?

Paul Parker, ladies and gentlemen.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 09:18 - Sep 10 with 1304 viewsMick_S

Brian - is this an anti-social media thing? I don't use it and stick with this board, so I'm not aware of too much rubbish going on - it seems well balanced enough on here?
[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 9:19]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 09:18 - Sep 10 with 1302 viewsA40Bosh

An excellent listen Clive and whilst towards the end of the interview the rebuke to your flippant gag about overdrafts seemed a little over the top and brought a tense ending to proceedings, it is clear that Warbs Warbuton is only too aware of, and not afraid to aggressively challenge criticism which he deems is way beyond acceptable.

I have always said that those supporters who come on forums or scream abuse from the stands really should pack in their day jobs and take up coaching and management and see how high up the game they can get with their obvious superior inside knowledge of the game.

That is not to say that criticism in itself is wrong, there has to be challenge, but sometimes I see on here posts which come across like a 10yr old kid who has been sat down and told that there is not very much money in the house this year as mum and dad have both lost their jobs and the very next week he is howling the place down as he is not happy with only a couple of cheap sweets he has been given

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 09:28 - Sep 10 with 1260 viewsA40Bosh

Mick,

I am 52 and only in the last 6 mths have I really started looking regularly at Twitter and I am coming close to deleting the app - not so much about QPR or football related stuff as I don't tend to follow much QPR stuff on there other than #Loftforwords and WLS/Dave Mc, but some of the poison that is on there in incredible.

So I imagine if I looked a lot of QPR stuff on there it will be the same. I wonder if these same keyboard warriors would be prepared to say the same stuff to someone's face.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 09:28 - Sep 10 with 1257 viewsJustJules

Great interview, honest and open from both sides.
I am a fan of Warburton and the direction he is taking us in.
From the interview though it's clear he has good defensive qualities, maybe he could pass them on to the team.

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 10:38 - Sep 10 with 1143 viewsDixie_CT

There seems to be a common opinion on here that Warburton is coming across in a certain way. It feels like he is drawing a line in the sand saying fans know little and their opinion is wrong. This isn’t going to make him many friends within the fan base and could fuel the fires when we go on a bad run.

Find his obsession with Glasgow Rangers disconcerting. As for the ardent Blue nose who came into his office and chose a 13 man team, well he’s an idiot and should be discounted as evidence of fans knowledge.

Don’t know why this interview has got my goat so much!! Think it’s the tone and bullshit evidence points he uses. Don’t be an arse!
[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 10:39]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024