Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lockdown 2: The Return 08:05 - Oct 29 with 3109 viewsspell_chekker

Lockdown 2 starts tomorrow.

According to Worldometers, there were nearly 36,437 new cases and 244 deaths of the coronavirus reported in France yesterday.

24,701 new and 310 dead in the UK.

It's a lot, too many, and the figures are increasing.

One opinion I've heard is that 'it's only old people who are dying'. Disgusting.

The initial period of confinement is 1 month but it's likely to be extended to 8 or 12 weeks.Have the government waited too lo,g and let the virus propagate before implementing strict measures to control it?

If, for example, action had been taken when there were 15k daily new cases + 50 deaths, it would've been easier to contain the spread.

It gives me a heavy heart to go into a bleak winter lockdown. I don't want to do it but we all have a collective responsibility to stop others from getting sick and dying.

Lockdown's a crap measure to take but it's got to be done. At the moment there is nothing else.

I'll do my best to get some last minute preparations (panic buying) done today.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

Lockdown 2: The Return on 19:45 - Nov 1 with 526 viewsspell_chekker

I'll keep my council until tomorrow, or even Tuesday, when I'll feel better (no hangover)

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.

Lockdown 2: The Return on 23:48 - Nov 1 with 520 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Oy!!

"Before, I smoked 40 a day, took drugs a plenty, ate crap, drank like a fish, and did other unmentionable acts"

I've got copyright on that lifestyle

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Lockdown 2: The Return on 10:58 - Nov 3 with 512 viewsImperial

You're not a lycra man when exercising are you Spell?

Lockdown 2: The Return on 11:05 - Nov 3 with 511 viewsspell_chekker

Ha.

I haven't got any lycra.

In fact, my bike isn't a real bike. It's one of those smaller wheel diameter fold up ones.

I'd look even more silly than a regular lycra wearer.

Lockdown 2: The Return on 11:10 - Nov 3 with 510 viewsspell_chekker

I've challenged myself to a weekly time trial.

I've worked out a short 10km circuit and I've got one of those counters that tell yo how far, how fast you go etc...

Yesterday: 10.20km, 33 mins 48 secs, average speed 18.14 km/h, top speed 23.89 km/h, calories 114.

Lockdown 2: The Return on 13:56 - Nov 9 with 502 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Covid vaccine: First 'milestone' vaccine offers 90% protection

The first effective coronavirus vaccine can prevent more than 90% of people from getting Covid-19, a preliminary analysis shows.

The developers - Pfizer and BioNTech - described it as a "great day for science and humanity".

Their vaccine has been tested on 43,500 people in six countries and no safety concerns have been raised.

The companies plan to apply for emergency approval to use the vaccine by the end of the month.

A vaccine - alongside better treatments - is seen as the best way of getting out of the restrictions that have been imposed on all our lives.

There are around a dozen in the final stages of testing - known as a phase 3 trial - but this is the first to show any results.

It uses a completely experimental approach - that involves injecting part of the virus's genetic code - in order to train the immune system.

Previous trials have shown the vaccine trains the body to make both antibodies - and another part of the immune system called T-cells to fight the coronavirus.

Two doses, three weeks apart, are needed. The trials - in US, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, South Africa and Turkey - show 90% protection is achieved seven days after the second dose.

Pfizer believes it will be able to supply 50 million doses by the end of this year, and around 1.3 billion by the end of 2021.

The UK should get 10 million doses by the end of the year, with a further 30 million doses already ordered.

However there are logistical challenges, as the vaccine has to be kept in ultra-cold storage at below minus 80C.

When will the pandemic end?

It has been an astounding feat to get this far so soon.

No vaccine has gone from the drawing board to being proven highly effective in such a short period of time.

And this vaccine seems to be even more effective than people were hoping.

There are still questions - how long does immunity last, does the vaccine work as well in high-risk elderly people, does it stop you spreading the virus or just from developing symptoms?

And the journey ahead is long and complicated.

Manufacturing enough doses and then actually immunising hundreds of millions of people around the world is a monumental challenge.

Hospital and care home staff will be prioritised along with those at highest risk from Covid-19.

So face masks and social distancing are likely to feature of our lives for some time to come.

But at last, the gloom of Covid is starting to give way to the hope that it might one day be over.

Dr Albert Bourla, the chairman of Pfizer, said: "We are a significant step closer to providing people around the world with a much-needed breakthrough to help bring an end to this global health crisis."

Prof Ugur Sahin, one of the founders of BioNTech, described the results as a "milestone".

The data presented is not the final analysis. It is based on the first 94 volunteers to develop Covid - the precise effectiveness of the vaccine may change when the full results are analysed.

Pfizer and BioNTech say they will have enough safety data by the third week of November to take their vaccine to regulators. Until then it is not possible for countries to begin their vaccination campaigns.

But the companies' announcement was welcomed as a significant development.

"This news made me smile from ear to ear," Prof Peter Horby, from the University of Oxford.

"It is a relief... there is a long long way to go before vaccines will start to make a real difference, but this feels to me like a watershed moment."

The UK Prime Minister's official spokesman said the results were "promising" and that "the NHS stands ready to begin a vaccination programme for those most at risk once a Covid-19 vaccine is available".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54873105

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Lockdown 2: The Return on 14:31 - Nov 9 with 498 viewsspudgun

Brilliant news!!

Lockdown 2: The Return on 16:20 - Nov 9 with 494 viewsspell_chekker

Yes, the sooner the better.

I've been on TEAMS again for 8 hours today.

And tomorrow will be another day like today.

Rush a vaccine through by testing in on North Fylde residents and then lets get back to normal.

Lockdown 2: The Return on 16:27 - Nov 9 with 492 viewsspell_chekker

Using this TEAMS thing.

I've got 2 screens connected to my computer and have been clicking back and forth all day.

Stiff neck from bending over the keyboard all day.

Muscles in the back tensed up from the intensity of it all.

I no longer know who, or what, I am.

Roll on the vaccine.

Some relaxation now required.

Lockdown 2: The Return on 16:45 - Nov 11 with 482 viewsspell_chekker

How's lockdown 2: UK going?

Are the streets thronged with people? Or would it be better if the people were thonged in the streets?

Lockdown 2: The Return on 17:26 - Nov 11 with 477 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

It's not like Lockdown 1 for sure. Less people out and about - but traffic seems much busier than last time. Public transport very quiet though, and has been from the start. Mask observance - on public transport excellent, in the open more variable.

This is SE London, which is one of the best-performing areas in TTL.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Lockdown 2: The Return on 18:50 - Nov 11 with 469 viewsspudgun

Can`t say I`ve noticed much difference on the road, not that I`ve been going out too much other than my usual stuff.

Went to Bispham this morning to pick something up, and one thing I did notice was that virtually nobody was wearing a poppy! Loads of school kids, most without masks, congregating - to be expected I suppose.

At work we`ve been the busiest over the last 6 months than ever before in 30 years.

People are strange...

Lockdown 2: The Return on 19:04 - Nov 11 with 466 viewsspell_chekker

You're supposed to be in lockdown Spud.

Not allowed to nip over to Bispham.

Naughty boy.

Lockdown 2: The Return on 19:12 - Nov 11 with 465 viewsspudgun

Not even to pick up piggy food?

Lockdown 2: The Return on 19:20 - Nov 11 with 463 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

As we were in Tier three before these new restrictions, the only real difference I've noticed is it's quiet at night with the pubs etc..... shut

Lockdown 2: The Return on 19:32 - Nov 14 with 452 viewsspell_chekker

Sorry to use bad language.

Went to see the bank manager this morning.

Cough, cough, bank manager, cough.

I hope to have some big news to announce in a month or two but will only do so when it's concrete.

We had to disobey lockdown law in order to go out as see the none essential bank manager.

When leaving the domicile, you have to fill out a form to say what essential task you are performing.

As many people do, I ticked the box saying that I was making a justified mad dash for piggy feed.

Of course, I completed the form in pencil. Rubbed it out later in the afternoon and went out again - but only for more piggy feed.

Lockdown 2: The Return on 20:10 - Nov 14 with 444 viewsspudgun

Hey, hope you`ve come into some good fortune, spell!

The `piggy food excuse` is good for most scrapes in life I have found...
[Post edited 14 Nov 2020 20:10]

Lockdown 2: The Return on 20:43 - Nov 14 with 440 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

I've watched Spiral Spell. You don't want to mess with those French Police.

Lockdown 2: The Return on 23:40 - Nov 23 with 419 viewsspell_chekker

I going to the docs tomorrow to try and get a sick note exempting me from wearing a facemask at work.

The irritation of wearing a mask is making an old skin complaint, that must've been lying dormant, flare up.

Work obliges us to wear, and provides us with, those disposable light blue paper masks. They're the ones that have the worst effect on me.

I prefer running the risk of catching the coronavirus rather than being permanently disfigured.

Lockdown 2: The Return on 17:54 - Nov 26 with 410 viewsspell_chekker

This is what's happening in France, it's a progressive thing.

Shops are opening this Saturday 28th November.

Lockdown ends on 15th December and will be replace by a curfew from 9:00 pm to 7:00 am.

Restaurants and places like that will open on 20th January 2021.

The thing I don't get is that between 28th November and 15th December people will be locked down and therefore won't be legally able to go the shops that have reopened. Of course, lockdown means you can go out to the shop and buy essential items (food) but not non essentials - for example, a pair of shoes. Yet the shoe shops will be open.

Lockdown 2: The Return on 19:34 - Nov 26 with 405 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Read an article earlier that French ski resorts will reopen, but the ski lifts will stay shut!. Can't find it now.

Lockdown 2: The Return on 14:36 - Nov 27 with 389 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

London has been getting it in the neck lately as a lucky, privileged area despite (undoubtedly) being a cesspit drowning in its own diseased filth. **

I must confess to being perplexed by this. In my neck of woods cases are well below the national average and have been for months ; ,mask compliance has been very good, use of public transport has plummeted too. Having been out yesterday and today, the only notable thing about the places I have been has been how quiet they are.

** sorry, I was overcome by AVFTT rhetoric there.

Lockdown 2: The Return on 19:53 - Nov 27 with 376 viewsspell_chekker

Privilaged so and sos in London.

I'm still having to conted with traffic jams!!

Proportionally, too much funding for the south, innit?

Lockdown 2: The Return on 19:58 - Nov 27 with 371 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Too much funding? Naaaah.

It's not like the North you know, where the streets are paved with coal.

Lockdown 2: The Return on 20:13 - Nov 27 with 366 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

"It's not like the North you know, where the streets are paved with coal" That's only in the posh areas like Clitheroe, Darwen, Padiham and such other intellectual hotspots.

We have to put up with the same dirt tracks the Iceni use to use when travelling up here on a day out at the seaside.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024