Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? 00:50 - Sep 2 with 15135 viewsDylanP

We have heaps of midfielders and we brought in another one at the end of the transfer window. Meanwhile, we have nobody up top who can score.

Dykes, Bonne, Roberts, and Armstrong.

Admittedly, Armstrong has looked exciting in his sub appearances. But the Gaffer doesn't trust him to start. Meanwhile, Dykes huffs and puff, but he isn't actually adding to the scoreline, which is what a striker is there to do. Nobody seems to trust Bonne and Roberts hasn't played much.

We've scored 12 goals this season, 2 from strikers -- one each for Dykes and Roberts. That is pathetic. Laird has as many goals as Dykes this season Actually, so has Seny FFS!

You cannot have consistency when you are expecting goals from midfield and defense every week. Midfielders are supposed to contribute to the goalscoring, not be the only ones on the scoresheet.

Maybe Dykes will come good. But why would anyone believe that? Considering that with the exception of a short spurt last season he hasn't done anything for us. He's scored about once every 4 games throughout his QPR career. Not exactly setting the house on fire, is it.

We are scoring goals for fun right now thanks to Chair and Willock, but its putting too much pressure on those two to do everything. We need someone in front of them who can pitch in too

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 00:58 - Sep 2 with 6855 viewsBoston

As some famous Brazilian or other said twenty years ago, most clubs will be a goalie and ten midfielders in the future. We're on the cutting edge.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 01:07 - Sep 2 with 6851 viewsVancouverHoop

We've scored 12 goals this season, 2 from strikers

Yes, but only three teams have scored more than us.

It really doesn't matter what an player's position is called – the names change over time anyway. How the team performs collectively is what matters.

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 01:26 - Sep 2 with 6790 viewsvanrrrr

I’d wager there is Not a non parachute team in this division who do not have some gaps. I reckon ours are not as bad as many, the club have done well, Dykes etc can do a job and Mick can improve our players!

Glass v much half full!

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 03:45 - Sep 2 with 6653 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Seeing as MB likes his players to be facing the goal, I don't find his acquisitions too surprising. Glaring misses aside, sounds like he's happy with his one striker being a pivot for the 10 behind him.

Plus we can clearly say: we're a team who can score goals from 'every' position these days.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 06:03 - Sep 2 with 6493 viewsnix

Totally this.

One thing I noticed from the Hull match is how Beale is getting the players to rotate position. So Dozzell would sometimes go into the Laird position so he could bomb forward. Or Lyndon would consciously move into midfield and swap with Dozzell or SJ. It must be a bit of a nightmare to play against because you'd constantly be having to reevaluate who you're marking. Sometimes also it's actually Lyndon's job to create space for other players to move into. It's not putting pressure on them to score, it's actually allowing them the space and time to score.

In his last season with us, Eze scored more goals than both our strikers, Wells and Hughill. There's nothing wrong with scoring from midfield. We're much less predictable than sides where only one player can get the goals. Who the hell are teams going to double up on: Dykes, Willock, Chair? But then you've got our fullbacks or SJ or even Dozzell who are all capable of turning up and scoring.

Then when the opponent's defence is tiring, we've got Armstrong, Roberts, Uncs, and soon Amos and Richards to come on and cause havoc. I'll admit it didn't really gel in the first few matches, but we can see it coming together in Watford and Hull.

Beale was very canny to bring in a good defensive midfielder. That was a much bigger vulnerability for us, because if Field is injured we didn't really have anyone else who can break up play.

One thing we haven't really solved is the back up left back. I'm not sure who can do that role. But to manage without another overpriced loan striker and put that money into an experienced defender and a young enthusiastic defensive midfielder might well be a very clever move.

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 06:39 - Sep 2 with 6377 viewsdavman

With you on all of that until you asked "who you going to double mark - Chair, Willock or Dykes".At the moment, does anyone need to double up on Dykes? I think he does a great job of marking himself!

FWIW I think the club tried to get one in, but couldn't, so they pulled the plug on the Bonne deal. Hopefully, despite sulking recently, we will bring him back in to the fold as he will be needed at some point.

As you say the lack of decent back up at LB is more of a concern.

But the winter window is not that far away this season because of the WC, so hopefully we stay injury free and successful results wise 'til then...

Certainly not panning out to be a dull season so far. Despair, then hope just 7 games in!

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 06:52 - Sep 2 with 6326 viewsderbyhoop

We would have liked a striker and did try. But there was nothing better than what we have, at a price we could afford. So we didn't waste our limited budget on another Bonne level guy.

It really is that simple.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 06:58 - Sep 2 with 6298 viewsstevec

Unfortunately, you can’t keep winning every week by scoring wonderful goals, it’s just too much hard work over a 46 game season.

Virtually every top side has a marksman. We will need someone bundling horrible goals over the line and that’s not been evidenced yet.

I fear a blow out on last years scale if we don’t find a more reliable CF from somewhere.

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 06:59 - Sep 2 with 6306 viewsHastings_Hoops

Exactly as other replies have said…. The original post answers its own question - we’ve scored 12 goals in 8 games (one of the highest scorers in the league) and held on to our top scorers (attackers) who have scored a goal every 74 and 189 minutes respectively this season, do we need a ‘striker’? our existing striker already fulfilling his primary role of being a battering ram to create the goals… when
It clicks and Dykes has his inevitably run of 8 goals in 8 games that will be a bonus.

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 07:01 - Sep 2 with 6296 viewsAntti_Heinola

Too many misleading labels in Dylan’s post for me. Labelling Chair and Willock as ‘midfielders’ means you’re saying they play in the same position as Jojo and Field.
I prefer the words ‘forward’ or ‘attackers’ for them and others like Uncs and Roberts and possibly Richards.
Change those words and the post falls down a bit.
I think Heidar got 12 goats in our promotion season, and while i agree Dykes looks unlikely to get that, if he can with in with 10 and play a vital role to the team in other areas i don’t have too many concerns, but again, it’s about expectations. Is Dyles a top 4 team striker? No. But he can be effective in the sort of side we have now.

Bare bones.

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 07:40 - Sep 2 with 6092 viewsNorthernr

FFP headroom.

Couldn't stretch to the loan fee for Archer, and nor should they have done.

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 07:45 - Sep 2 with 6067 viewsHunterhoop

Agree. Good.

Make do with what we have and get behind the team, everyone.

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 07:50 - Sep 2 with 6038 viewsstevec

Fair enough but are we even certain whether the £39mill barrier is still set in stone? A lot of talk going on around the future of FFP.

What’s the loan fee for Archer, £1 mill? £1 mill versus £150 mill, that could be what we are talking about. As it is, the owners just carry on shredding £1.8 mill a month.

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 07:50 - Sep 2 with 6049 viewsNorthernr

We might have seen a potential solution last couple of games. Dykes is a rock bottom, and isn't that good when he's high as a kite, but you don't need confidence to run about, smash into people, lead the line, battering ram. Let's just assume he's never going to score again and focus on what he can do for us, then have Willock, Chair, Roberts, Richards running off the back of him and try and bring Armstrong on as best we can. Yes we're very, very reliant on Willock/Chair and fcked again when they're injured, but that's part of a tight budget. What we could really do with is better quality players than Shodipo coming out of the academy system as that cover.

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 07:54 - Sep 2 with 6028 viewscpgerber

I'm not too fussed. As long as the goals are coming from elsewhere, that's fine. Still think Dykes has a role to play and sure he will hit a good patch at some time.

More importantly, this will give Armstrong more game time and hopefully speed up his development. Everyone is saying Willock and Chair are our next big sales (which we need!). I agree with that, but if we can get 20m for a midfielder (Eze), imagine how much we could eventually pocket for a striker? There's been some crazy money thrown around for strikers. Armstrong doesn't even need to be fantastic to get us some serious money, which we will probably need soon.

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 08:01 - Sep 2 with 5982 viewsozranger

If you go back to my post in another thread, and what both Nix and Antti have said here, Dykes' role is now quite different to before and he is learning to get into that new role. As I said before, he is now almost a "false nine" in that he is playing as a connection between the deeper midfielders and the attacking midfielders while also being an outlet and holding up the ball, something he is improving each game on, heading the ball on for his team mates to get on to and being a general nuisance to the defenders who have to mark him.

Our attacking players have scored more goals combined than many teams all together. This is a team effort. The days of a single striker scoring all your goals is long gone.

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 08:13 - Sep 2 with 5906 viewsdistortR

I've been critical of Dykes in the past, chiefly his lack of involvement in some games. More recently, he's been a physical handful for the other team, creating space and giving our attack another dimension with his physicality. He also has the ability to lay off some cute passes, and helps defend all over the pitch. It's noticeable we look less of a threat when he comes off.

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 08:31 - Sep 2 with 5787 viewswombat

glac to see that people are starting to see how important that dykes is to the present team finally , never gonna score bundles of goals but his work rte is making us tick .

Poll: which is your favouite foot

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 08:35 - Sep 2 with 5770 viewsDannytheR

On the back up LB, Field could probably do the job in an emergency. He played there quite a bit earlier in his career, and with Iroegbunam coming in, as you say we've now got what looks like a more than decent like-for-like in midfield.

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 08:42 - Sep 2 with 5732 viewsSouthallRanger

That’s interesting. Basically saying that it wasn’t villa not making him available but more about the loan fee. Surprised Watford or another club that could afford the fee didn’t get him then. Agree we shouldn’t do anything that we can’t afford.

I wonder if the situation might be different in January. If archer gets little game time by then and we make a sale. Or maybe loan fees are naturally lower in Jan etc. that’s does not only apply to archer but any decent striker. This is all on the basis that we are in a decent position to challenge for at least playoffs in jan

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 08:51 - Sep 2 with 5686 viewsted_hendrix

Fair points, he's also done well defending, having said that that's what he's got to do in every game he starts for us from now on, no letting up.
On top of that and as Beale said he's over thinking in front of goal, I'd like to think the goals will come from Dykes maybe they will but he's never been prolific in front of goal and probably never will be, but he's got to keep his recent two good performances up, that Is a must.
I'm well pleased with our squad, on the top of our two recent performances all seems good to me.

Recent results have been good but they're history now, It's how we perform Saturday that matters.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 08:56 - Sep 2 with 5641 viewsToast_R

Not too fussed to be honest, Dykes will be adequate for his nuisance value and what a time to be alive if you're Sinclair Armstrong. Lets hope this is his Peter Crouch year. Tyler Roberts will also chip in

I think if we can minimise injuries, QPR are looking pretty decent.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2022 8:59]

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 09:12 - Sep 2 with 5529 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Well, that explains it. Thanks for the info.

Absolutely agree that we shouldn't mortgage our future on any signing.
Also gives me assurance that we haven't done that on Iroegbunam.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 09:13 - Sep 2 with 5514 viewsLazyFan

JCS is meant to be the backup LB, when he's fit. So, Paal only has to continue to stay fit until JCS is back. A gamble, but that is where we are.

zzzzzzzzzz

How Did We Manage To Not Get A Striker? on 09:19 - Sep 2 with 5465 viewsgazza1

Very poor from the Club basically, our strikers are one of the worst in the division, if not the worst. WTF they are thinking about I do not know, back up LB, my arse!!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024