Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Crying out for Warburton 15:02 - Feb 27 with 9870 viewsWestbourneR

In the annals of bad decisions, removing Warbs now looks like the extraordinarily stupid decision it looked at the time.

A few things to think about

- Our 'collapse' last season now looks like a dream compared to our current freefall.

- He was ostensibly sacked because he didn't play youth teamers - but he did when they were GOOD. He immediately made more out of BOS and Manning, he played Chair and of course Eze. He even persevered with Kakay and bombed out Todd Kane for the cause. The players he didn't play weren't, and almost certainly never will be, good enough. Sinclair Armstrong aside Beale didn't play any more of them than Warbs either.

- The club was well run, on a budget, with respect and good attitude.

- I've never been anti Ferdinand but to me it's now clear he sacked Warbs because he felt threatened and didn't like that Warbs was his own man. It was ego. An ego clash. And for me, that is unforgivable.

- If we'd kept Warbs and the STABILITY we've all craved for so long we'd be in so much better shape now. I guarantee it.

To think we sacked MW for being in the playoffs most the season now seems to STUPID it is laughable.

A huge mistake that may we see us relegated.

And yeah I'm afraid it's on Les.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Crying out for Warburton on 16:22 - Feb 27 with 1967 viewsdaveB

didn't he leave because the team fell apart on his watch and we were pretty dreadful for several months

I'm sure arguments behind the scenes didn't help but if he'd won 3/4 of some very winnable games in the second half of the season he'd still be here

Crying out for Warburton on 16:27 - Feb 27 with 1946 viewsBrianMcCarthy

- He was ostensibly sacked because he didn't play youth teamers.
We don't know that.

- The club was well run, on a budget
We don't know that. Some reports say that we are in a FFP hole now partly because of the Warburton years.

- I've never been anti Ferdinand but to me it's now clear he sacked Warbs because he felt threatened and didn't like that Warbs was his own man. It was ego. An ego clash. And for me, that is unforgivable.
We don't know that.

- If we'd kept Warbs and the STABILITY we've all craved for so long we'd be in so much better shape now. I guarantee it.
No-one can guarantee that.

And yeah I'm afraid it's on Les.
We don't know that.

The painful truth is that as fans we know very little. It was always this way, and always will be. Pretending that we do is dangerous.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Crying out for Warburton on 16:38 - Feb 27 with 1858 viewsDejR_vu

I hope GA does a fantastic job, Berko, not because he's a great bloke (although he clearly is) but because if he does, it means QPR will be doing well. But, there must be a reason that after 500+ games at WW, he's never managed at a higher level, it can't all just be through loyalty to WW.

Would any other club have made that appointment? Why haven't they?

We've got a DoF who used to play for us who, I strongly suspect, wouldn't have been appointed if he hadn't. I'm in the camp that that's not exactly gone well. Now we have a manger who, I strongly suspect, wouldn't have been appointed if he hadn't had played for us.

I genuinely, 100%, hope he blows it away. But, I cant see it and I think he 's been appointed for the wrong reasons and, ultimately, will be hung out to dry because that's what happens under this regime. That would be a travesty, especially because of who he is and what he's left behind to come here.

To be clear for those that like to twist things, I am 100% behind Ainsworth, it's the people above him that concern me.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Crying out for Warburton on 16:40 - Feb 27 with 1835 viewsNewBee

"Easy to say for a club that got better when he left. "

One of the key reasons for BFC's recent success is that they have, with one exception, swifly corrected, appointed good managers.

Yet while Rosler, Carsley (interim) and Smith all left on excellent terms, as Frank doubtless will when his time comes, the one glaring exception to the rule was a certain Mark Warburton - even while results under him were good.

Coincidence? I think not.

Crying out for Warburton on 16:43 - Feb 27 with 1825 viewsWestbourneR

Riiiight.

How anyone can argue were weren't a well drilled team going in the right direction under Warbs I'll never know. Just LOOK at us now ffs!

We were better under him than we'd ever been in a very long time. We used do things like win away... not that long ago, that idea was fantasy.

Yes we fell away but we were overachieving, massively. You only have to look at us now to see that. He deserved so much more respect and credit.

I wish Ainsworth all the best and I really really hope he succeeds, love the man - but Warbs was badly treated and wrongly let go. The two points are not connected anyway. You can think it was wrong to sack Warbs and still support Gareth.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Crying out for Warburton on 16:56 - Feb 27 with 1784 viewsandrew1302

The truth is we can't go backwards. Gareth is here has what he has. The procurement of players has probably been the worst [ next to Chelsea!] of all 92 clubs. We have wasted all our resources on complete pups - Bonne, Hamel etc etc. Combined with that we must have some sort of arrangement with the local hospital as we have an addiction to sick notes - list as long as your arm. But we need 3 wins and if we are only League 2 right now [ i think we would be hard pressed in league 1] then we simply have to treat each game as a cup final. Little teams do beat big teams when the attitude is right. Personally i think Gareth is the man to improve the mentality and hopefully scrape us over the line. Next saturday will be a test. Rotheram are a hard working team and let us see if we can match them or just roll over.

Crying out for Warburton on 16:58 - Feb 27 with 1774 viewsDejR_vu

We also had a knack of winning from losing positions, even with 10 men on occasion, imagine that now!

Crying out for Warburton on 16:59 - Feb 27 with 1772 viewsderbyhoop

Warburton was not sacked.
Rumours about not playing youth leading to contract termination have never been confirmed. Evidence shows that MW wasn't wrong about youngsters.
Both Beale & Critchley seemed to build on MW legacy and seemed sensible at time of appointment.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Crying out for Warburton on 17:01 - Feb 27 with 1755 viewsNewBee

The "Hendrick vs. a Striker" issue sounds familiar to Bees fans.

For in season 2014/15, when Bees had made a good start to their first season back in the Championship, Benham's analysts told him that the club needed reinforcing in the January window if they were going to sustain a full promotion challenge through to the end of the season. Benham made money available for this.

However, MW was worried that new faces would disrupt the spirit in the dressing room (amongst his favourites?) and so declined to accept them, as his then contract entitled him to do. Then when Benham decided that MW's contract should be redrawn to remove his veto (though still giving him a say in transfers), MW refused to accept this and it was agreed he would leave at the end of the season, come-what-may.

Of course as history was to show, the team ran out of legs, eventually fizzled out in the play-offs and Benham was proven to be absolutely correct.

P.S. The one player who MW did accept that January was young midfielder Lewis McLeod from Rangers. But while a good prospect, McLeod was also injured at the time, meaning that MW knew he could avoid including him in the team straightaway anyhow.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2023 17:06]

Crying out for Warburton on 17:08 - Feb 27 with 1738 viewsDejR_vu

Maybe not NewBee but, my point is that, to you, within the context of a well run football club, MW may not have been all that. To QPR, which is an absolute shambles, he's head and shoulders above anything we've had in a long time, despite those faults that you allude to. We've suffered Redknapp don't forget.

If you had to choose, which of the following would you pick prior to being promoted:

Mark Hughes
Harry Redknapp
Chris Ramsay
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
Ian Holloway
Steve McCLaren
Mark Warburton
Mick Beale
Neil Critchley
Gareth Ainsworth

Would you be delighted with them all?

Not a pop at you NB, I'm sure you've endured your fair share of this prior to the current custodians of your club, but when you're in the thick of it, it's pretty draining.

Crying out for Warburton on 17:22 - Feb 27 with 1682 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t think we should have let him go, but let’s not pretend we had Pep Guardiola on our hands just because it suits today’s axe grinding.

Warburton last ten games:

WLLLLLDWLLW

Crying out for Warburton on 17:26 - Feb 27 with 1660 viewsDejR_vu

That looks quite good Baz, considering

Crying out for Warburton on 17:39 - Feb 27 with 1627 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I know that was tongue in cheek, but It’s only two more points than what Critchley got in his last ten games.

I think we put too much stock in management in general. Problems lay elsewhere.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2023 17:50]

Crying out for Warburton on 17:57 - Feb 27 with 1586 viewsdaveB

We were not a well drilled team between February and May last season, quite the opposite, a shambles at times and even when winning we were not playing well for most of last season relying on good individual performances to get us wins in tight games

I loved warbs and think he did a good job but lets not pretend him staying was a perfect solution, the place was on fire when he left and the money spent on his watch has helped put us in a big ffp hole

Crying out for Warburton on 17:57 - Feb 27 with 1588 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I actually agree with much of that. Warburton certainly improved us for a while and some of the football was great. Sadly, it didn't last. My point is we have no idea why his contract wasn't renewed, but if it was for football-only reasons then I could see why it wouldn't be, same as I can see why others might disagree with the decision.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Crying out for Warburton on 18:12 - Feb 27 with 1527 viewsLowerloftLad

I'd love Warburton to come in as the new DOF as I think he could do a great job.

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Crying out for Warburton on 18:19 - Feb 27 with 1509 viewsDejR_vu

NC actually secured 5 points in his last 10 games.

I couldn't agree more that the problems lie elsewhere.

Crying out for Warburton on 18:35 - Feb 27 with 1466 viewsEastR

There are many things we don't/won't know for sure- the internet, this board, is mostly about speculation. That's what keeps us all coming back!
One thing we do know is that MB was jettisoned for 'a change of direction'.
Nobody thought that would be so dramatically downwards

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Crying out for Warburton on 18:47 - Feb 27 with 1437 viewsbaz_qpr

Lets be brutally frank here. This collapse started under MW. Beale had a six or seven game purple patch and then we reverted to the same form that we have had since Jan 22.

I enjoyed the MW years but his race was run, and we had spunked the budget essentially getting him out of a hole with the Austin / Johansson / Field signings.

The summer was the time to correct it and it all looked rosey for 8 weeks but ultimately the signings and the failure to sell on Willock or Chair in the summer to build again has been the big mistake and led us to where we are now

Crying out for Warburton on 18:53 - Feb 27 with 1399 viewsParkRoyalR

Warburton is a football man, doubling up his day job with coaching at a local school, then leaving his job to working his way up the coaching ladder.

Les, nice fella and all, has not done likewise and has taken the easier option of striker coach at a former club close to home and becoming a DoF.

Warburton was building a competitive championship team on a relative shoestring and knew we needed to buy our own strikers (Dykes & Bonne) as loaning strikers (Wells, Hughill etc) was bleeding the club financially and was not a long-term solution.

Buying Championship strikers on a shoe-string seems to be pot-luck and the gamble on Dykes (initially) and Bonne did'nt work out so he had to go back into the loan market.

Unfortunately for Warburton he went with Andre Gray, who he thought he knew character-wise from his Brentford days, but that was before his 4 or 5 years of earning big money and marrying a popstar.

Likewise Austin, who showed some effort until he managed to get his contract signed and miraculously lost his fitness and legs before the ink had dried.

These two signings did for Warburton, as the hierarchy wanted them out and the Academy had no-one to backfill and tensions were likely high.

If Warburton had loaned two honest hard-working pro's (like Hughill and Wells) we as club would'nt be where we are now (imo) and if anyone thinks we're better off without Warburton, well, I for one, completely disagree.

That is the primary reason why I think our former striker and fans favourite is a Class A cnt.

Crying out for Warburton on 18:59 - Feb 27 with 1371 viewsdavman

Yes it did, but that particularly January, our footballing hierarchy did not like hearing the truth - the Academy is full of youngsters not good enough for the first team. Warbs told them that, they didn't like it so started to de-stabilise the first team. Warbs, you cheeky bugger - no new contract for you and those players you want can go swing for a new contract.

We'll replace Barbet with a younger, sicker version who will play around a third of the games Barbet did. Ball can f-off; we'll replace him with a 19 year old show pony from Villa with no end product. Moses - can play left back OR right back - interesting, but NO, Nico is good enough and he will be a first teamer soon - we know what we're doing throwing contracts around.

The new man will come in and he'll play our kids because he will see we were right all along and not you, Warbs.

Yep, its Hindsight, yep, I need to calm down and could do with a break from QPR, but it is a shambles. The Academy costs millions and produces NOTHING. I just wish that there had been a sensible conversation about was Warbs right or were Les and his staff right. Instead of keeping faith with those you have entrusted the future of the club to, take a look - their product is garbage. Warbs was spot on and yet he was the one to go.

Insanity whatever way you look at it.

Does anyone think that our Academy is anything but a money pit?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Crying out for Warburton on 19:00 - Feb 27 with 1376 viewsPunteR

We was steady under Warburton. I think it all unravelled when it looked like we were proper contenders for the playoffs. Just a rush of blood to everyone's heads. Contracts were probably a stumbling block. Warburtons wasn't sorted and the club only decided to not renew once we fell out of contention. Barbets contract just ran down when really he should have got an improved one. Like with everything it comes down to money. Add to that all the rumours about Warburton refusing the academy players, the loans that didn't work, and the injuries and it all turned to shit.
What I don't get is having decided not to renew Warburtons contract who did the club think they were going to replace him with? It took them ages to get Beale, he wasnt a definite for the job. So basically they had no one lined up.
It's all done and dusted and I really hope Ainsworth works out but in all honesty I just can't see it happening. There's too many problems at the club for one rock n roller to sort out.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Crying out for Warburton on 19:29 - Feb 27 with 1305 viewsNorthantsHoop

Warbs was a very good manager for QPR, but his time ran out for a whole host of reasons. He was probably suited to the DoF role towards the end of his tenure and he would have made a good job of it. Think Ainsworth will come good at QPR, let's face it Saturday was a nostalgia trip for most of us, he only had a couple of days to face an in form Blackburn. The real test begins at Rotherham to see if he can get a tune out of our rag bag of a team and come away with a draw at least.

Crying out for Warburton on 19:42 - Feb 27 with 1267 viewsstevec

We’d collapsed under Warburton, it was time to go. In fairness, what he did do well was keep the boat afloat for as long as he did. His job was salvaged as early as 2020 by getting a couple of old timers in to give us a spine, we were utterly hopeless for the first half of that season.

The problem has been this ethos that we think we can play our way out of this division. Great if you’re Man City, not so great if you’re QPR.

What’s been evident for years now is even when we are on a winning run every game looked seriously hard work. As such, it was always just a matter of time when they’d ran out of steam. We just never dominate teams, simply because we are trying to win games without any physicality in the team. I think this team is fully aware of this and have realised that good football at this level has a ceiling if you can’t boss teams. That has a lot to do with the mentality problems that have arisen and what Critchley alluded to.

The Warnock promotion side was blessed with players we couldn’t attract now like Routledge and Taraabt but even with that side, our success was largely due to physically wearing out the opposition over the first 60-65 minutes, then taking the game.

Hopefully Ainsworth can get us through this season but the close season should be about an influx of players in his mould, old if necessary, but with the physical and mental toughness not to fold when the going gets tough.

Crying out for Warburton on 19:49 - Feb 27 with 1244 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Warnock’s side, as great as it was, was very financially doped. We can’t do that anymore.

Agree we need some battlers though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024