Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Simon Grayson wants his players to entertain everybody 06:48 - Jan 20 with 189 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Simon Grayson insists he’s just as desperate as the club’s supporters to be entertained by his Blackpool side.

The Seasiders delivered another below-par display in Saturday’s 1-0 defeat to Lincoln City, which stretched their winless run to eight games.

In that time, Grayson’s side have notched just five goals in a run that has seen them slip down to 15th in the League One table.

“That’s the frustrating part, because there were parts of our game where we looked alright and did look positive and confident,” Grayson said after Saturday’s defeat.

“We moved it around, especially in that first 20 minutes, and even later on in the game when we threatened to make opportunities.

“But we need to do that more often. Whether that’s at home or away, we’re going to have to dominate games and be more expressive.

“But I will say again, that’s not coming from me, I want my players to entertain me from the touchline.

“I’m not telling them: ‘when you get it, pass it out of play or don’t take somebody on’.

“I can see the frustration of the supporters because I’m suffering that as well. I want people to be entertained and for the players to do what they’re paid to do.

“If you’re a defender defend, if you’re an attacker express yourself and affect the top end of the pitch.”

While the out-of-form Pool players were far from their best yet again, it’s fair to say luck wasn’t on their side against Michael Appleton’s Imps.

Jay Spearing was harshly penalised for a first-half penalty, which Mark Howard did superbly to save from Tyler Walker.

Meanwhile Ben Heneghan’s attempted clearance slammed straight into teammate Spearing in the second half.

The ball ricocheted straight to the feet of Walker, who slipped in strike partner Tyreece John-Jules to score what proved to be the winning goal.

“If we get the breaks in our favour we aren’t far away from getting results again, which is what we have to do,” Grayson added.

“You go through spells as a manager where it’s tough and you go through spells as a player where it’s tough.

“But what do you want to do? Do you want to just accept it? Or do you roll your sleeves up and really dig deep?

“We know what the players are capable of doing and ultimately you know it can change very quickly.”

Pool have already been busy during this month’s transfer window, but Grayson repeated his claim that further upgrades are a necessity.

“I’ve said before that we need better quality in the team,” he said.

“We’ve proven that already last week and it’ll probably be proven again this week and before the window shuts.

“We need better quality players that can handle the ball and can express themselves and can pick out a pass and get past somebody.

“A couple will benefit from this game. Marc Bola hadn’t played for a bit and Gary Madine and Grant Ward are the same.

“But we know what we need to do, we need better quality of players.

“Anybody in that dressing room who doesn’t want to be here and thinks they’re going to get moves, well we’ve seen this week we’ve been quite active in moving things around.”

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/blackpool-boss-si

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Simon Grayson wants his players to entertain everybody on 09:55 - Jan 20 with 176 viewsSeaside_Lee

We have been saying this since the season started Larry

That's what we all want to see.

To win football matches and entertain you have to dominate the opposition, close them down quickly all over the park, want it more than them, go at them, try to go past them, pass out of defence and find your men, be resolute in defence, move the ball quickly and be prepared to shoot.

We are not playing like that, only sometimes in patches do we show that kind of commitment. If that's what Larry wants then why are they not trying to do what he wants?

Are they being awkward because they are not happy? Are they just not good enough to do it for 90 minutes? Are they lacking in confidence due to the bad run of results?

Simon Grayson wants his players to entertain everybody on 12:40 - Jan 20 with 169 viewsImperial

I said never go back but was prepared to accept I could be wrong.

Nope.

Simon Grayson wants his players to entertain everybody on 13:31 - Jan 20 with 165 viewsspudgun

I imagine there hasn`t been a team in the history of football who can do all that over 90 minutes week in, week out, Lee!

It would be physically impossible to press and close down over 90 minutes each game; pressing can only be done in patches because of the high intensity sprinting required.

Most football teams cannot `dominate` their opponents, as many teams are usually pretty evenly matched and the difference will come down to a small bit of superior skill (finishing generally), a mistake or two, or good fortune on one teams behalf.

Only the truly top teams usually possess the ability to `dominate` others, because they have teams of elite players who are physically and technically better than their opponents.

In League 1 Blackpool are an average team with average players - they cannot do what you are asking unless they buy a bunch of Championship class players at great expense.

Until then it is huff `n` puff football under a mediocre manager, with wins draws and losses at random.

Which after the problems of the last few years may be palatable for some as a transitional phase, but may soon wear thin with others...

Simon Grayson wants his players to entertain everybody on 15:46 - Jan 20 with 153 viewsspell_chekker

I don't like the way Grayson's publicly belittling the players.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

Simon Grayson wants his players to entertain everybody on 16:38 - Jan 20 with 143 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Spud

For me part of the problem has been the way the team has been set up (especially at home). The defence (be that a back 3, 4 or 5) is sat on the 18 yard line the midfield is about 10 yards further forward and whoever plays up front (usually a lone striker) is stuck on their own with 3 or 4 defender for company.

It just hands over momentum, territory, possession etc... to the opposition (don't even get me started on the substitutions or this habit of bringing everyone back at corners).

The switch from 3/4/2/1 to 4/5/1 (4/4/1/1) and the way players like MacDonald and Kaikai are be handled totally baffles me.

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Simon Grayson wants his players to entertain everybody on 17:15 - Jan 20 with 140 viewsspudgun

Red:

I agree that formations and tactics play an important part in providing a platform for engineering a result, but I am a believer that generally the team that has eight or so players playing better than their direct opponents on the day will prevail. Good players (especially those that can beat a player by skill or quickness of thought) render formations academic at times in the game.

To do this you need to have technically better and more determined (physically and mentally) players than the opposition. I don`t really see that in this Blackpool team.

I think formation tweaks may help some players compete better (by moving their `starting` positions on the pitch during certain phases of play, but there is usually no substitute for quality - the team with the better players will win more often if they are of higher quality and more determined than their opposite number and enough of them perform on the day.

I appreciate your knowledge of the current team is far greater than mine, and I am talking generally about football as I have experienced and seen it.

I suspect this Blackpool team could be more entertaining with a formation change, but will still be an 8th to12th position mediocre team.

They have no real star performers at this level...

Simon Grayson wants his players to entertain everybody on 17:38 - Jan 20 with 137 viewsspell_chekker

I think Grayson's playing a defensive game because he thinks we could be in real trouble if we open up.

They're conceding territory and possession on purpose. Not contesting the midfield.

Look at my Ryan Hardie thread. The type of goal that he scored.

I've been reading a bit about the Christmas Tree (of Terry Venables fame). I think Grayson may have been trying to play a version of that except he hasn't got the players for it.

With Kaikai and Ward behind a big frontman, we'd still need a right back and at least one energetic midfielder.

I've been thinking about the midfield diamond as well. Again we'd need a right back and at least 1 central midfielder.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.

Simon Grayson wants his players to entertain everybody on 17:51 - Jan 20 with 136 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

There's very little between the top 16 teams in this division, you'd be surprised how many play a 4/4/2 - 4/5/1 pressing game (which has caught out all our centre backs this season), with the Sam Allardyce tactic of don't play the ball on the deck in your own half, bang it up-field quickly.

I think that's partly to do with the managers fear of being sacked, lose your job in Div 1 or 2 and I think I read somewhere over 60% wont get another job in professional football again.

I have a feeling that Larry is slowly changing us to that style, which if you get results fans will put up with mainly, however if you don't get results you're a dead duck as there is no plan B.

One example of a tactic I don't understand is when 3/4/2/1 is used it helps Gnanduillet, the ball is played to feet, he's facing the opposition goal and he's able to run at defenders, and they're terrified of him, and the support is up with him (usually Kaikai and The Fonz).

In 4/5/1 (or whatever you want to call it) the ball is just booted up to him, which means he usually facing his own goal on the halfway lane and is easy for defenders to deal with or pick up the second phase ball as there's no support, and the ball is just banged back into our box.

I'd have happily settled for 8 - 12 with some signs of a plan going forward, however I'm not seeing that at the moment, and the ones that went to home matches last season say we're actually going backwards.

Also with so little between the teams this season it's beginning to feel a bit like a missed opportunity at this point (still plenty of matches to go).

Simon Grayson wants his players to entertain everybody on 18:05 - Jan 20 with 133 viewsspudgun

Quite good those little formation explanations, spell.

The midfield diamond can be a disaster if everyone isn`t buying into it, and fully understands their responsibilities. Takes a lot of football intelligence and very good full- backs to do it well, as you leave yourself open on the flanks...

Simon Grayson wants his players to entertain everybody on 18:06 - Jan 20 with 133 viewsspell_chekker

This is the one fundamental thing I think is important.

In Grayson's first stint as manager, he made a big thing about signing the 'right kind of character'.

Work ethic, team player, positive attitude sort of thing.

When you think of players like Barker, Evatt, Morrell, Vaughan, GTF.

It's not a question of their ability, the team's tactics, or anything like that.

It's a group of decent guys who are motivated, have a desire to win, and have got their colleagues backs.

Liverpool have got it. It's what makes the difference.

Simon Grayson wants his players to entertain everybody on 19:54 - Jan 20 with 125 viewsROTTWEILERS

You are a football player. Your team has just gone 4th. The manager comes in, chops and changes the side. Further to that, he announces a raft of new players are needed in most areas. The transfer window opens and said 'essential' players are brought in. Some without a club, others unproven or out of favour where they are. Manager rotates and tinkers with his first XI to ensure the blame - which he joins in apportioning - is well spread out.

I can see how players can lose confidence and a manager the dressing room in such circumstances.

Go Out. See People. Live Your Lives.
Poll: Player of the Season vote

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024