Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paper interest in Freeman 09:13 - Jul 29 with 59094 viewsbosh67

Apparently West Brom and Boro looking at a bid ITRO £3m for him. Would be a huge loss for us but given what's happened and what we bought him for that would be around a 10 fold return. Depends where we are in terms of being able to fight off bids. I imagine Freeman would be happy to stay as he plays every week here and perhaps the FFP settlement means that we don't have to get picked off by the vultures in terms of selling players. I guess if he does go we have Manning who could play that role and Chair.

Hopefully just press bluster.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2018 9:13]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Paper interest in Freeman on 16:04 - Jul 31 with 3586 viewsjonno

Paper interest in Freeman on 16:02 - Jul 30 by Northernr

Hoos says specifically in this interview in between 6.19 and 6.29...

https://www.qpr.co.uk/videos/interviews/lee-hoos-discusses-ffp-outcome/

...that under the rolling three year period, you could choose to lose £39m all in one season in a gamble to get to the Premier League, but you would then have to report zero losses for the other two seasons if you failed to get there.

This post has been edited by an administrator

But in that case presumably you would have had to report zero losses in the two seasons before the season you lost the £39m? Because under the "rolling three years" if you had lost any money at all in those previous seasons you would have transgressed FFP?
Paper interest in Freeman on 16:20 - Jul 31 with 3502 viewsLongsufferingR

Paper interest in Freeman on 11:51 - Jul 31 by kingsburyR

So are we losing Freeman or not?

Apparently so, but only if the £3m, when averaged over 3 years, is divided by 60% and any player we bring in is not in breach of FFP with his current club, unless the number you first thought of is 8.
Paper interest in Freeman on 16:44 - Jul 31 with 3427 viewsEmpireStateRanger

Is it possible that McClaren isn't a big fan of Freeman? I found it weird that he played Freeman on the wing in the last friendly, but I also know they want to give Eze the middle to work his magic.
Paper interest in Freeman on 17:01 - Jul 31 with 3366 viewsNorthernr

Paper interest in Freeman on 16:04 - Jul 31 by jonno

But in that case presumably you would have had to report zero losses in the two seasons before the season you lost the £39m? Because under the "rolling three years" if you had lost any money at all in those previous seasons you would have transgressed FFP?

Yes. It's an extreme hypothetical. But it means that 11+7+18 would be fine.
Paper interest in Freeman on 17:12 - Jul 31 with 3327 viewsconnell10

Paper interest in Freeman on 16:20 - Jul 31 by LongsufferingR

Apparently so, but only if the £3m, when averaged over 3 years, is divided by 60% and any player we bring in is not in breach of FFP with his current club, unless the number you first thought of is 8.

That's numberwang!!!!!!!!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Paper interest in Freeman on 20:19 - Jul 31 with 3027 viewsjonno

Paper interest in Freeman on 17:01 - Jul 31 by Northernr

Yes. It's an extreme hypothetical. But it means that 11+7+18 would be fine.

Unlikely I know, but what if you make a profit one season? Could you then lose more than 39 million the next season? The whole thing is ridiculous.
Paper interest in Freeman on 20:31 - Jul 31 with 2991 viewsDorse

Paper interest in Freeman on 20:19 - Jul 31 by jonno

Unlikely I know, but what if you make a profit one season? Could you then lose more than 39 million the next season? The whole thing is ridiculous.

What is this 'profit' thing you speak of?

'Tis witchcraft! Witchcraft, I say!

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Paper interest in Freeman on 21:20 - Jul 31 with 2907 viewsted_hendrix

It is plain for all to see that because the penguin population is diminishing at a rapid rate of knots next year there will undoubtedly be a shortage of honey.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Login to get fewer ads

Paper interest in Freeman on 23:23 - Jul 31 with 2763 viewsPunteR

Paper interest in Freeman on 21:20 - Jul 31 by ted_hendrix

It is plain for all to see that because the penguin population is diminishing at a rapid rate of knots next year there will undoubtedly be a shortage of honey.

Finally. Someone talking sense.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Paper interest in Freeman on 01:05 - Aug 1 with 2674 viewsisawqpratwcity

Not that ridiculous. It works on the idea that a Championship club can cope with a £39 million loss over three years, given that that figure also depends upon the club being subsidised by the owners.

And in these days of rich owners, it also allows a club that is currently operating on a reasonably sound financial basis to take a large cash injection to finance a promotion run.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Paper interest in Freeman on 01:51 - Aug 1 with 2662 viewsqprd

yes, this is true, and it is a perverse incentive created by the rule.

however, on the flip side, its a rolling three year period, so if in Y1 and Y2 you break event, you are permitted to lose 39m in Y3. However, in Y4 youd need to be profitable or break even, and Y5 more or less the same thing.
Paper interest in Freeman on 08:00 - Aug 1 with 2538 viewsGloucs_R

Tone tweets Freemans not going anywhere..... So, he's not going anywhere... Until a bid comes in 😉

Poll: Are we staying up?

Paper interest in Freeman on 08:02 - Aug 1 with 2533 viewsNorthernr

Paper interest in Freeman on 08:00 - Aug 1 by Gloucs_R

Tone tweets Freemans not going anywhere..... So, he's not going anywhere... Until a bid comes in 😉

I do wish he wouldn't. What if Middlesbrough offer £7m on the deadline day? He'll definitely be off in that circumstance and so he should be.

We have to get used to the idea that we need to sell players regularly to survive. Not at £3m of course, but buying Freeman for £350,000 and then selling him for several million is exactly what we need to do over and over again.
Paper interest in Freeman on 08:04 - Aug 1 with 2532 viewsNorthernr

Paper interest in Freeman on 16:35 - Jul 30 by 1JD

That is revealing especially coming from the CEO who hopefully has his finger on the pulse. It doesn’t meet other reported FFP rules though.

Maybe a good question for the upcoming podcast he mentions...

Asked Hoos specifically about this on the pod last night and he confirmed, it's £39m over three years, there is no £13m per season limit. If you want to lose £30m then £5m and then £4m you can.
Paper interest in Freeman on 08:11 - Aug 1 with 2508 views1JD

Paper interest in Freeman on 08:04 - Aug 1 by Northernr

Asked Hoos specifically about this on the pod last night and he confirmed, it's £39m over three years, there is no £13m per season limit. If you want to lose £30m then £5m and then £4m you can.

Thanks for clearing that up! I guess that also explains the absurd expenses being undertaken by some clubs in this league in a given season - they are simply gambling on a one season wonder to take them to the prem.
Paper interest in Freeman on 08:42 - Aug 1 with 2431 viewsSuffolkHoop

Shouldn’t be selling him for less than £5m, and if we got an offer above that we’d have to take it.
Paper interest in Freeman on 08:55 - Aug 1 with 2396 viewsGloucs_R

Paper interest in Freeman on 08:02 - Aug 1 by Northernr

I do wish he wouldn't. What if Middlesbrough offer £7m on the deadline day? He'll definitely be off in that circumstance and so he should be.

We have to get used to the idea that we need to sell players regularly to survive. Not at £3m of course, but buying Freeman for £350,000 and then selling him for several million is exactly what we need to do over and over again.

Agreed. Very nieve tweet, again. Think he will go if Traore leaves boro.

Did Hoos mention any progress with the stadium? Is the LC stadium a realistic possibility?

Poll: Are we staying up?

Paper interest in Freeman on 09:01 - Aug 1 with 2388 viewsingeminate

What is the tiping point here in terms of financials Vs PR?

So right now any club looking at buying our players will look at what we let Smithies go for, the recent FPP ruling and you would imagine feel they can get Rangers players on the cheap.

Lets say Middlesborough have decided they want Freeman - and we have decided that over three million we will sell. However, we still want more than three million if possible.

If Fernandes comes out with a Freeman going nowhere statement and that means Middlesborough chuck an extra 1.5 mill on the table - and we sell. Is that just shrewd business by Tony. Or does the PR fall out negate any extra money made.

Incidentally, player x is not for sale to push up price is as old as time.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2018 9:02]

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Paper interest in Freeman on 09:13 - Aug 1 with 2344 viewsNorthernr

Paper interest in Freeman on 08:55 - Aug 1 by Gloucs_R

Agreed. Very nieve tweet, again. Think he will go if Traore leaves boro.

Did Hoos mention any progress with the stadium? Is the LC stadium a realistic possibility?

He put a bit of pressure on the council, basically said we're going to struggle to make a go of things at Loftus Road so if they want the club to stay in the borough the time to support us on LCS is now.
Paper interest in Freeman on 09:15 - Aug 1 with 2341 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Well I guess it's good news if he's saying he's staying.

What get's me is that he's decided to respond to a tweet like that. It's like the old adage where the naughty kids with behavioural problems get all the attention while the rest get neglected.

I think you should pay more attention to your loyal supportive fanbase Tony. Not the attention seeking Twitterati. Before we all p1ss off.

Even the guy who tweeted couldn't believe he'd responded.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Paper interest in Freeman on 09:38 - Aug 1 with 2290 viewssmegma

Over 3 weeks of this b0ll0cks and he hasn't been sold. Roll on Saturday 3 o'clock when we can return to moaning about something else.
Paper interest in Freeman on 09:51 - Aug 1 with 2240 viewsdaveB

If Freeman stays I give it 5 games before the same people losing their shit over selling him start asking if he should be in the team.

If we get a good offer I'd sell him to be honest, we have Eze and Chair for the attacking midfield role, Pawel and Smyth for the right wing, he's one of the few players we could sell for good money and have ready made replacements
[Post edited 1 Aug 2018 9:52]
Paper interest in Freeman on 10:02 - Aug 1 with 2196 viewsspencer

This...
Not for 3 Million, albeit a good profit on the original outlay. But if the club get an offer in excess of 6 Million , I think it would be hard to ignore.
I would like him to stay, but as mentioned, youngsters coming through. We have gone back to the club we used to be. It does appear at moment clubs are trying their luck to get a bargain, and why not.

Yet some fans are bemoaning clubs like Forest who are trying to buy the league. Have we got that short a memory ? That's why we got into the FFP mess.

As far as I'm concerned , I'm only interested in what we are doing as a club, the rest can spunk what money they like.,
Paper interest in Freeman on 10:42 - Aug 1 with 2088 viewsBklynRanger

We're so reliant on him for set pieces I'd wonder who would be the next logical choice. Eze? Scowen? Someone Pennie's got his moustachioed eye on? Got to answer that first imho.
Paper interest in Freeman on 10:43 - Aug 1 with 2087 viewsMyke

I think we all know the model we need to follow. It's good practice anyway for a small club to buy cheap, develop and sell for a profit. We did it in the past and still managed to stay successful on the pitch at the same time. I think of replacing Sinton with Sinclair as the classic example of doing things properly. Then when we stopped doing that, by replacing Ferdinand with Hately for example,it all went pear-shaped. In fact I think this model enhances success because the younger up-and-coming players are hungrier ( for a couple of years anyway) than the player they are ear-marked to replace. Just take the Freeman/Eze debate for the minute. Both talented players but Freeman with a lot more experience at this level. So you know what you are going to get from Luke most weeks, whereas with Eze there will be inconsistencies due to age and inexperience. So selling Freeman (the price is a different debate, I'm much more realistic about the value of our players than others on here) makes sense to a degree, but is also a gamble at this point because we have already lost Smithies, Onouha, Perch, Robinson and Mackie this summer, which is a hell of a lot of experience. In order for kids to thrive and reach their potential they needed to be guided on the pitch by the older guys. But if you retain Freeman, then you may lose BOTH players in 12 months (or even January) if Eze continues to impress.
So the biggest difference between developing players and selling them on and developing their replacement infinitum nowadays and in the 80's/90's, is that the clubs with financial muscle can pick off any player with even a hint of ability before you are ready to sell him and before you have identified a replacement . Southampton (even before the Hughes death-knell appointment) are a good example of that. No matter how good your scouting system is, if the big guns (ie Liverpool) keep hoovering up your players as soon as they begin to show a bit of form, then eventually you are going to struggle both on and off the pitch
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024