Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Warburton, Stick or twist? 19:06 - Apr 2 with 67868 viewsRangersDave

Ok, so we arent doing as well as most of us thought we would.

However, we all know we should have had a new striker in during the last window, but didnt and this appears it might have been a mistake.

If form continues the way it is, Stoke etc will beat us, and we will be almost where we were last season......ergo no real improvement, and a squad thats fat, old, lazy, or comtractually obliged to play every game.

However, next season will need more players, as some will be leaving us, so who do you want to pick those players and next seasons formations?

So, do we keep Warburton (Stick) or do we get rid (twist)

I will start this........ Twist

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 21:57 - Apr 2 with 2934 viewsEalingHoop81

Stick every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Successful clubs do not routinely sack their manager. So many clubs have fans saying that x, y or z manager has taken them as far as they can go etc etc. Routinely those clubs then find out just what a good job said manager was doing. Examples - Curbishly at Charlton, Wenger at Arsenal, Howe at Bournemouth, even Pulis at Stoke….

We have a small budget, make significant losses and have improved off the pitch and on it massively over the past 4 years. We are building an identity all across the club. We have a manager who appears fully integrated in that, wants to help youth players flourish and seems to work really well with Les and Lee. It would be madness after a bad couple of months to end 3 years or great work. Just to be clear, when he took over we had to rebuild the side entirely having lost our best player (Freeman) and almost halved the wage bill. He improved the league position and the football, he then did the same again having sold out absolutely best player in Eze (and Bright and Manning). For 7 Months of this season we have been in the play offs and we have now tailed off….he has absolutely earned the right to ride out any potential storm and it’s fickle in the extreme to consider his position after 10 games after the previous 13 months of automatic promotion form.

For anyone thinking that twist is the right answer, who exactly do you think we could bring in to replace him that would embrace what we are trying to do, that we could afford, and would actually do any better???
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 21:59 - Apr 2 with 2916 viewsDamo1962

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 19:09 - Apr 2 by T_Block

Idiot for starting it

Your usual considered reply. It's a hypothesis.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 22:00 - Apr 2 with 2913 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 21:29 - Apr 2 by Hooparoo

Sorry Brian, was trying to agree with by hitting the up arrow but hit down instead. Bloody iPhones aren’t made for blokes big fingers 😉

I was soooooo tempted to down-arrow you there!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 22:01 - Apr 2 with 2898 viewsOldPedro

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 21:44 - Apr 2 by corse

50/50. But the signings of austin, dykes, johansen, hendrick, sanderson is a offence in itself that should lead to good ass whipping and kick out from the office. Who ever responsible.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2022 21:58]

Probably the same person/people who are responsible for signing Willock, Dunne, Field etc........

Stick
[Post edited 2 Apr 2022 22:03]

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 22:03 - Apr 2 with 2860 viewsaston_hoop

As much as I'm convinced half the posts tonight are one person having a nervous breakdown arguing with themselves, of course stick. Its about time we gave someone who has already proven that he can improve players, improve the team and work on our budget to keep going. Its been a bad few months, but I don't want to be that club that sacks someone good due to a bad run.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 22:04 - Apr 2 with 2849 viewsDamo1962

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 20:07 - Apr 2 by BrianMcCarthy

I think it's a legitimate conversation to have - in a pub, at work or on a forum.

I personally hope he stays, but it's a legitimate question to ask.

Is the correct answer Brian🙂
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 22:08 - Apr 2 with 2811 viewsDamo1962

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 20:37 - Apr 2 by Hooping_Mad

Seems we can't play this formation currently

Love to see him play 4 at the back before the end of the season but is he even considering giving it a try?

He's tried square pegs for weeks now, why not try a different hole.

What's the worst that could happen?

Getting close to twist but not quite there yet.

He needs to try something different,...if he wants to keep his job. That's what he is paid to do. If as I suspect, we plummet further down the table - then it won't matter what we want.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 22:14 - Apr 2 with 2786 viewsPunteR

Im not sure MW will be here next season anyway. Contract up in the summer i believe.? Has he taken this club as far as we can go with our budget, scouts, coaches?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Login to get fewer ads

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 22:18 - Apr 2 with 2760 viewsdaveB

7 games left you stick unless you have Guardiola or Klopp lined up
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 22:41 - Apr 2 with 2692 viewsOldPedro

Reading through a few of these threads this evening and it seems to be the same people calling for the manager to be sacked who called for the last one to go....and the one before that......and the one before that.......

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 23:04 - Apr 2 with 2625 viewskensalriser

Best manager we've had for ten years. If you've got someone realistic who's unarguably better, bring it on. Otherwise he stays.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 23:19 - Apr 2 with 2586 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I think we need to be really careful about our next manager. We're a mainstay in the top half of the championship and Warburton is a big reason for that.

We need to be really careful.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 00:14 - Apr 3 with 2508 viewsozexile

Stick because hopefully he's already planning to for next season. IMO we need about 8 players. A new Manager may say we need upwards of 12.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 00:48 - Apr 3 with 2449 viewsnix

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 21:44 - Apr 2 by corse

50/50. But the signings of austin, dykes, johansen, hendrick, sanderson is a offence in itself that should lead to good ass whipping and kick out from the office. Who ever responsible.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2022 21:58]

Austin and Johansen were a big part of us turning our season around last season when we were looking in trouble before Christmas. The majority of fans wanted them to be re-signed in the summer. The fact their form has been patchy this season isn't something anyone could have reasonably forecast.

Dykes has been unlucky with injuries this season. I think we look better when he leads the line. Today, we just didn't create enough chances. Dykes is hardly missing a load of sitters.

Sanderson looked great for Birmingham against us. I don't know why he hasn't quite worked out for us.

Hendrick has been a mistake, admittedly. Can understand why we wanted someone with experience whem Johansen wasn't playing much, Lee was injured a lot, Charlie wasn't really playing. I think we'd tried for other players but couldn't get them.

It's not easy when you're bargain basement, but we've acquired a lot better than some previous managers have managed and for less money.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 01:00 - Apr 3 with 2416 viewsQPsyR

TWIST
[Post edited 17 Apr 2022 22:15]

FKA AcidPixie

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 01:56 - Apr 3 with 2389 viewsVancouverHoop

Hendrick has been a mistake, admittedly. Can understand why we wanted someone with experience whem Johansen wasn't playing much, Lee was injured a lot, Charlie wasn't really playing. I think we'd tried for other players but couldn't get them.

If Johansen leaves (when's his contract up?) Then Hendrick might make more sense. He and Charlie need to be replaced. They've run out of road here, unless they move into coaching positions which might work.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 03:13 - Apr 3 with 2346 viewsLblock

Twist

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 07:05 - Apr 3 with 2223 viewsLeedsR

Stick, stick and thrice stick. Warbs has managed this relative success with a budget that wouldn’t even come close to what Fulham spend on agents fees, let alone players. Fulham, Bournemouth, Forest, Boro, Sheff Utd and most of the division, all with playing budgets way higher than ours. As much as we think we might fancy one or two of their managers, would they even consider coming to us with our budget?? No chance!!

Clubs like ours can only play the long game. We’ve tried the short term strategy with ever diminishing resources, and it has brought us nowhere. Yes, not all our signings have worked out, but I’d argue that our success rate is much better than it has been, and even with ones that have gone off the boil, or not recaptured the early promise, at least they worked for some of the time and weren’t complete busts.

Warbs has had us seriously punching above our weight this season. A combination of teams having better strategies to play us, and the major losses of Dieng bossing the defence and Willock providing the guile and inspiration in attack, have been major factors in our poor form of late. To still be in with a mathematical shout of the playoffs with 7 or so games to go - we’d have snapped your hands off for that at the start of the season.

I get the frustration - I’m as disappointed as anyone considering our position in the table up until recently. But to me it would be madness to twist.

It’s a no-brainer. Stick.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2022 18:39]
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 07:35 - Apr 3 with 2190 viewsLondon_Pride

Stick!
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 07:59 - Apr 3 with 2122 viewswood_hoop

Stick, difficult and it hurts to see us falling down the table but while we are mathmatically still in with a hope of getting into the playoffs it is a conumdrum for another day.

This morning hard to see that happening but that's why we keep going and watching, the hope

Going to take a miricle and some of the current squad don't inspire the confidence it could still happen but MW knows how close he is to at least silencing his critics and don't ask me how but being a optimist I cannot just give in.

The players have their part to play, maybe theres more to their loss of form than meets the eye,
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:13 - Apr 3 with 2098 viewspaulparker

Even if we make a change now there’s not a cats chance in hell we are going up
This side has no pace and no guts about it
It was around 2 months ago or so we were 3 points behind Bournemouth with a game in hand
Since Reading it’s gone to pot, something isn’t right in that dressing room
The fact we didn’t have a shot in the second half yesterday sums up the last few weeks
Let’s get to the end of the season and part ways

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:14 - Apr 3 with 2089 views1JD

For me, the signings of Austin and Johansen have proven to not only been a mistake, but a very expensive mistake, and that’s a big problem- not just for Warburton but for the club as a whole.

It’s not something you can easily sweep under the carpet because of the contract commitments. We have Austin for another year, and Johansen for another 2! Both must be on circa 20k a week. Yikes.

Neither are particularly old- Austin, 32 and Johansen, 31, but both are slow and laboured. Add in Hendrick and Sanderson, and we have four players who have not worked out. That’s now adding up.

I personally can’t stand the “you meed senior pros”, which has morphed into “senior pros come to the fore” chat. Not seen any evidence in the entirety of this season to justify these repeated comments. Sounds more like a defensive position to try and justify high wages that simply haven’t worked out.

The league position collapse and the unwillingness to change formation that has so obviously been worked out by other clubs for a long time, adds fuel to the fire. Warbuton seems insistent on sticking by his guns, and hoping the tide will turn, despite a long loss of form many many games ago.

All that said, i think he’s done a fantastic job on the whole, and I still rate him inhigh regard. I’d absolutely be giving him the summer to go again. The weaknesses of the side are now obvious - zero pace, little stamina, and too many aging players. Get back to youthfulness, we are not the “young side” that continuously gets promoted by the club. Not in comparison to our peers and competitors that make up the rest of the league, and that’s the key context
[Post edited 3 Apr 2022 8:19]
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:16 - Apr 3 with 2083 viewsWesty75

Stick
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:30 - Apr 3 with 2051 viewsthehat

Definitely stick for me - His stubbornness drives me mad and is very frustrating but the club is now in a very good position and overall I have enjoyed the season with some great away days.

Hopefully the scouting team have done thier homework and we can move a few on and bring in the next Eze, Willock in the summer.

The cup remains half full for me. I would like to use these last seven games to try out some different players and formations and start the planning now for next season.

We need to be more adaptable and change formation more often during the season instead of being so bloody predictable all the time.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:39 - Apr 3 with 2033 viewsdmm

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but Warburton has the best win to games ratio at QPR in the last 10 years. And even those who want him gone must surely concede he's had us playing the best football since Warnock.

So, what's brown and sticky...?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024