Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? 13:06 - Mar 14 with 8013 viewsloftboy

I'm out, sound like a coward,maybe, but Jesus there's a lot of different factions with a point to prove.
RIP to those who have died
[Post edited 14 Mar 2016 13:08]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 13:18 - Mar 14 with 4835 viewsbrendan

My sister is there at the moment, on R and R from Afghanistan
would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 13:18 - Mar 14 with 4829 viewsBluce_Ree

LOL f*ck going to Turkey at the best of times.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 13:46 - Mar 14 with 4765 viewsBromleyHoop

I suppose if you've never been before now is the time to go before the country decends into something approaching a civil war with its Kurdish population.
I wouldn't go on holiday to any Muslim country.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 13:51 - Mar 14 with 4753 viewsBlackCrowe

would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 13:46 - Mar 14 by BromleyHoop

I suppose if you've never been before now is the time to go before the country decends into something approaching a civil war with its Kurdish population.
I wouldn't go on holiday to any Muslim country.

Such a shame- amazing country, stunning coastline, lovely people.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 13:53 - Mar 14 with 4750 viewsbaz_qpr

Absolutely Istanbul is one of the greatest cities - Who would want to go to Ankara anyway. Head of to Side or somewhere in the Anatloya region for the beach no need for migrants .

Its a very big country. Its like saying you wont go to Nice or Cannes or skiing in the Alps cos a few terrorists in Paris
would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 13:59 - Mar 14 with 4712 viewsBrightonhoop

Nothing to do with cowardice Loftboy, it's a holiday your choosing not a battlefield....In a word no, I wouldn't, no more than I would go to Indonesia, Ivory Coast or north Africa, just too volatile. Daft thing is I watch my back in crowds here because everyone is flocking to Spain for the holidays and we know damned well they are regularly taking down ISIS cells in Madrid who will target Spains' holiday beaches given half a chance so nowhere is safe ultimately.

They say Istanbul is lovely, never been, went to Ephasus, but I hated the coasts and the people I found aggressive and rude at best, so I wouldn't go back. Same with Egypt. Sad times we are now living in.
would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 14:03 - Mar 14 with 4701 viewsthame_hoops

has anyone else noticed holidays seem to be really expensive this year? Wondering if its because of the problems in Sharm, Tunisia, turkey etc is putting prices up to spain/portugal.
would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 14:05 - Mar 14 with 4684 viewsBrightonhoop

would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 14:03 - Mar 14 by thame_hoops

has anyone else noticed holidays seem to be really expensive this year? Wondering if its because of the problems in Sharm, Tunisia, turkey etc is putting prices up to spain/portugal.

Classic supply and demand, bookings were up 30% last year before Sharm et al, so Spain will be costly this year. On a par with Italy.
Login to get fewer ads

would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 14:08 - Mar 14 with 4673 viewsstowmarketrange

would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 13:59 - Mar 14 by Brightonhoop

Nothing to do with cowardice Loftboy, it's a holiday your choosing not a battlefield....In a word no, I wouldn't, no more than I would go to Indonesia, Ivory Coast or north Africa, just too volatile. Daft thing is I watch my back in crowds here because everyone is flocking to Spain for the holidays and we know damned well they are regularly taking down ISIS cells in Madrid who will target Spains' holiday beaches given half a chance so nowhere is safe ultimately.

They say Istanbul is lovely, never been, went to Ephasus, but I hated the coasts and the people I found aggressive and rude at best, so I wouldn't go back. Same with Egypt. Sad times we are now living in.

There are so many fascinating places with wonderful people throughout the world that people would like to visit,but there is always a chance that something could happen wherever you travel to and it isn't worth the risk anymore.That is the real shame for the world.
would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 14:23 - Mar 14 with 4634 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

You are more likely to die from a Upper Loft Balti Pie than a terrorist attack.

I really want to visit Istanbul and this hasn't changed my plans.
would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 14:26 - Mar 14 with 4627 viewssimmo

Nah, I'm skint

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 14:29 - Mar 14 with 4619 viewsToast_R

Visted Istanbul as part of our honeymoon cruise of the Med in 2013. Beautiful city. Sad that the problems will put people off.

Sharm as well in 2012 was one of the best beach holidays I've had. Watched QPR v Bolton in a bar there with old Clint goal that never was, and happened to meet a fellow R in the bar. Good times. Remained friends with the bar owners too, lovely Egyption guys who smoked plenty of shisha with us. Sad to see their business getting f@cked over right now.
would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 14:40 - Mar 14 with 4591 viewsDiscodroids

I noticed that Thame.

Me and Mrs Disco are simple folk with simple tastes ,who enjoy our 2 weeks in Malaga/Marbella/Nerja or Benalmedna every year , but this year for the same price we got 2 weeks in Dubrovnik in a five star job.

god willing i should put on at least 3 stone.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2016 14:41]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 14:46 - Mar 14 with 4569 viewsHayesender

My mum, in her 70's now, went to Turkey last year and she loved it.

The only problems she had was with a group of Irish "yahoo's" (her words) in the hotel.

Would I go? No, too hot for my pasty skin

Poll: Shamima Beghum

would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 14:49 - Mar 14 with 4550 viewstimcocking

Yeah, no worries.

Quite nice Turkey.
would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 14:50 - Mar 14 with 4546 viewspaulparker

I Have

it used to be dead handy for us as my old girl lives in Calpe about 30 minutes from Benidorm so all we had to do was book flights
its nearly £300 odd quid each just for the flights alone
as for Turkey I used to go with my ex wife and her parents, they loved the place and would normally rent out a place for 3 months and just stay there the summer
have to say I didn't really like it some of the people were ok but in the main not for me
would rather do Cyprus, or the Greek islands if im doing the med

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 14:58 - Mar 14 with 4516 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Went to Ibiza last year (family not foam party) and will be returning again this July. Even though we booked just after Christmas the prices were incredibly more expensive albeit just about manageable. As already mentioned a simple case of supply and demand with those usually happy to head off to Morocco, Tunisia, Turkey etc now going to Spain, Portugal blah blah. As for the OP and visiting Turkey right now it genuinely wouldn’t worry me overly. Good grief I’m writing this from the Cheese Grater slap, bang in the middle of the city for starters, probably just as vulnerable in respect of a terrorist attack as is most of London thinking about it!
would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 14:58 - Mar 14 with 4515 viewsKonk

I think Istanbul’s one of the world’s great cities — loads of history/sight-seeing, good food, great place for a night on the pop, friendly locals and the atmosphere at the football is insane. And it’s not expensive either. Been there a couple of times and it’s great to visit with your partner or a group of lads. Second time I was there, lots of the people we chatted to in bars were unhappy with the way the country was heading under Erdogan and the divisive effect it was having in driving a rift between educated, liberal, secular urbanites and the most rural population or people who’d moved to the cities from the countryside.

I thought this article was really useful in providing some understanding of what’s going on with the Kurdish population: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/29/selahattin-demirtas-kurdish-turkey

Back to the question — not sure, because I’m glad people kept coming to London during the IRA days and 2005 bombings; but it would certainly make me think twice. I would have been toying with visiting Cairo/Luxor for years, but keep thinking better of it. The tragedy is that terrorists know that as in the case of Tunisia, a single attack can have a devastating impact on the tourism industry and wider economy, further increasingly the likelihood of instability and a rise in extremism.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 15:01 - Mar 14 with 4502 viewsLowerloftLad

Hi loftboy hope your well as you know me and Becca went last year the group met up New Year's Eve to discuss were we would be heading to this year and Turkey as much as we all really enjoyed was ruled out by all 8 of us within less than a minute

We oppted on Tenerife just because we think it will a safe bet
[Post edited 14 Mar 2016 15:03]

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 15:24 - Mar 14 with 4449 viewsWatford_Ranger

Going to Fethiye in July for a week. It's well away from the red zone last time I checked. I've probably got more chance of being blown up or shot on my commute each morning.
would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 16:00 - Mar 14 with 4383 viewskensalriser

Problem with Turkey isn't just its proximity to Syria/Iraq but that it's heading full speed into an authoritarian police state.

Fck Turkey getting anywhere near EU consideration while Erdogan is even still alive, never mind in power.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 16:15 - Mar 14 with 4342 viewsMrSheen

would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 14:58 - Mar 14 by Konk

I think Istanbul’s one of the world’s great cities — loads of history/sight-seeing, good food, great place for a night on the pop, friendly locals and the atmosphere at the football is insane. And it’s not expensive either. Been there a couple of times and it’s great to visit with your partner or a group of lads. Second time I was there, lots of the people we chatted to in bars were unhappy with the way the country was heading under Erdogan and the divisive effect it was having in driving a rift between educated, liberal, secular urbanites and the most rural population or people who’d moved to the cities from the countryside.

I thought this article was really useful in providing some understanding of what’s going on with the Kurdish population: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/29/selahattin-demirtas-kurdish-turkey

Back to the question — not sure, because I’m glad people kept coming to London during the IRA days and 2005 bombings; but it would certainly make me think twice. I would have been toying with visiting Cairo/Luxor for years, but keep thinking better of it. The tragedy is that terrorists know that as in the case of Tunisia, a single attack can have a devastating impact on the tourism industry and wider economy, further increasingly the likelihood of instability and a rise in extremism.

I went to Luxor about 20 years ago. The sights were absolutely staggering, but even then it was obvious that the number of visitors were well down on what they had been, and there was a edge of desperation that sometimes broke through the welcome of shopkeepers and restaurant owners. God knows how they are getting by now. Very sad, you might have the place to yourself if you went now.
would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 16:15 - Mar 14 with 4342 viewsTheBlob

My bruv's partner has a small villa in Bodrum,she organises painting holidays.Practically all of the regular punters have cancelled.Probably don't want to do lightning sketches of "Man With Beard And Kalashnikov".

Poll: So how was the season for you?

would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 16:19 - Mar 14 with 4322 viewsBucksRanger

would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 15:24 - Mar 14 by Watford_Ranger

Going to Fethiye in July for a week. It's well away from the red zone last time I checked. I've probably got more chance of being blown up or shot on my commute each morning.

You'll be fine Watford. My sister goes to Fethiye 2-3 times every year and has done for 30+ years now. She's closing in on her 80's these days and isn't the least bit concerned.

Flights were well priced this time for her. £31 out, £22 return (extra costs for suitcase of course).
would you book a holiday to Turkey right now? on 16:20 - Mar 14 with 4319 viewsJeff

Merhaba from North Cyprus :)

Flew over via Istanbul over the weekend (missed Brentford, B@stards...) Turkey is still an absolutely wonderful place, and Istanbul remains my absolute favourite place outside of W12. As people have said, Ankara is like Brazillia or Canberra. It's not really where you go when you're there.

Not going to get political in any way shape or form, but Erdogan doesn't reflect the feelings of the Turkish people at all, and is an absolute sh*thouse of a man, but the country is and remains wonderful...

Can we not knock it?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024