Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlie Austin involved in bike accident 15:04 - Feb 8 with 14664 viewsHantsR

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-4201026/Austin-gives-stateme

Sounds like cyclist is making a gradual recovery.
Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 00:04 - Feb 10 with 2143 views2Thomas2Bowles

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 23:58 - Feb 9 by wombat

Hasn't been one of these for a while , no respect for a group of people who
Think they own the road , have no formal training to be on the road and use it at speed, don't have to make themselves visible to other road users (blacks so slimming don't you think ) esp at night
A group who think it's a great idea to wear headphones while using the roads , so making them selfs totally oblivious to other road users and dangers , a group who ride through red lights as it's easier than stopping.
How about this as a compromise all cyslsists to take a basic road skills test ?
Make them by law wear High vis clothing and helmets.if they don't they get fined
Pay something to use the roads , emergency services etc
How can somebody be allowed to use roads when many have never had any sort of formal training.

oooooooh you've done it now

kensalriser with be calling you all sorts of names
[Post edited 10 Feb 2017 0:04]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 00:34 - Feb 10 with 2120 viewswombat

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 00:04 - Feb 10 by 2Thomas2Bowles

oooooooh you've done it now

kensalriser with be calling you all sorts of names
[Post edited 10 Feb 2017 0:04]

Can't wait do love a cycling thread lol
Shame I took the bull bars off the jeep last year

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 02:03 - Feb 10 with 2105 viewsBoston

A two hundred and fifty pound person wearing trainers does considerably less damage to a paved surface than a ninety pound individual wearing high heels.It's a science thing chaps, generally referred to as PSI. So, a cars point of contact with the road compared to a bicycle....

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 08:01 - Feb 10 with 2047 viewsizlingtonhoop

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 02:03 - Feb 10 by Boston

A two hundred and fifty pound person wearing trainers does considerably less damage to a paved surface than a ninety pound individual wearing high heels.It's a science thing chaps, generally referred to as PSI. So, a cars point of contact with the road compared to a bicycle....

Hmmm.
Newton, in 'O' level physics, told us you need to take F=ma into account here, before you start claiming bicycles are digging bigger potholes than SUVs on the school run...
Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 09:37 - Feb 10 with 2012 viewswombat

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 08:01 - Feb 10 by izlingtonhoop

Hmmm.
Newton, in 'O' level physics, told us you need to take F=ma into account here, before you start claiming bicycles are digging bigger potholes than SUVs on the school run...

I checked my options list for the range rover earlier and could see road digger on there funnily enough pot holes are mostly caused by cold and water funnily enough

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 10:44 - Feb 10 with 1974 viewsKonk

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 00:34 - Feb 10 by wombat

Can't wait do love a cycling thread lol
Shame I took the bull bars off the jeep last year

Here's Wombat with his obligatory megalolz bull bar comment! Especially lol in a week that's seen a London cyclist killed by a hit and run driver and another crushed under a coach! If you can't laugh at the thought of people being killed and maimed whilst quietly trying to get from A to B, what can you laugh at, eh! Top, top banter!

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 10:48 - Feb 10 with 1969 viewswombat

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 10:44 - Feb 10 by Konk

Here's Wombat with his obligatory megalolz bull bar comment! Especially lol in a week that's seen a London cyclist killed by a hit and run driver and another crushed under a coach! If you can't laugh at the thought of people being killed and maimed whilst quietly trying to get from A to B, what can you laugh at, eh! Top, top banter!

konk som people take comments waaaayyy to seriously , sad day when anyone dies , but and no putting blame onto the cyclists how many were experienced road users ? knew the highway code ? not looking to blame anyone but if people take to the roads then dont you think for there own safety they should have some idea of the way to get from A to B safely ?
same for high vis gear and being visible while riding bikes on the open road, hey you might look good dressed in all black but you dont look good when its twilight and other people cant see you.
would you drive a car without knowing whats right and wrong ?
[Post edited 10 Feb 2017 10:54]

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 10:57 - Feb 10 with 1954 viewsAntti_Heinola

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 10:48 - Feb 10 by wombat

konk som people take comments waaaayyy to seriously , sad day when anyone dies , but and no putting blame onto the cyclists how many were experienced road users ? knew the highway code ? not looking to blame anyone but if people take to the roads then dont you think for there own safety they should have some idea of the way to get from A to B safely ?
same for high vis gear and being visible while riding bikes on the open road, hey you might look good dressed in all black but you dont look good when its twilight and other people cant see you.
would you drive a car without knowing whats right and wrong ?
[Post edited 10 Feb 2017 10:54]

It's funny, I see at least as many cars driving around in the dark but without lights on (because street lighting is so bright, they forgot) as i do cyclists in all black - more probably. Maybe car drivers should have a driving test once a year to make sure they can remember at least the basics of driving?

completely agree that cyclists should be properly seen though. Saw one idiot the other night in all black with no lights. Couldn't believe it. Then again, when I was cycling, one car pulled across three lanes of traffic and hit me. It was about 10 at night, no other traffic on the road. I had a high vis vest and my bike lit up like a christmas tree. When he got out he said, 'i bet that happens to you all the time doesn't it?' No, actually, first time ever. Eejit.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 11:06 - Feb 10 with 1935 views2Thomas2Bowles

In that link I posted only one of the 8 cyclists has a helmet on and only one a Hi vis top

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 11:16 - Feb 10 with 1912 viewsKonk

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 18:13 - Feb 9 by 2Thomas2Bowles

You seem to think I care about other peoples heath issues, the self infected ones I don't!

But maybe they will live a bit longer if they don't ride a bike in C London

Nasty place of narrow streets of which I've pointed out and you have completely ignored.

Ban all cars and lorries then you can have your safe cycling streets and clog dancing in clean air and yet there will still be the fatbastards eating McD's and KFC or a nice fat kebab.. with lettuce

Have you noticed that when it''s a bit nippy like today, there are not so many on their bikes... Maybe there should just be bike lanes in the summer
[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 18:34]

Even if you don't care about other people's health, you might like to consider the financial cost to the country:

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_us/news_landing_page/nhs-spending-on-diabetes-

"A new report published in the journal Diabetic Medicine has projected that the NHS’s annual spending on diabetes in the UK will increase from £9.8 billion to £16.9 billion over the next 25 years, a rise that means the NHS would be spending 17% of its entire budget on the condition.

The Impact Diabetes report also suggests that the cost of treating diabetes complications is expected to almost double from the current total of £7.7 billion to £13.5 billion by 2035/6."

So, you can spend tens of billions dealing with a condition that in most cases is entirely preventable or you can just plug on as you are. Personally, I'd sooner encourage people to lead more active lives - get people out of cars and off public transport and you have the added benefits of reducing pollution and making public transport more comfortable for those that need to use it.

"Nasty place of narrow streets of which I've pointed out and you have completely ignored." - Er, I haven't ignored it; I brought Amsterdam into the conversation as an example of an old city with windy streets that somehow manages to happily accommodate hundreds of thousands of cyclists. You told me it was irrelevant.

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 11:19 - Feb 10 with 1909 viewswombat

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 11:06 - Feb 10 by 2Thomas2Bowles

In that link I posted only one of the 8 cyclists has a helmet on and only one a Hi vis top

london roads are already vastly over crowded the idea of reducing these capacity to allow bikes to use lanes they rarely use isnt making things any better on the roads. pollution is on the up are traffic is made ten times worse by reducing the roads cars can use

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 11:27 - Feb 10 with 1891 viewsKonk

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 11:19 - Feb 10 by wombat

london roads are already vastly over crowded the idea of reducing these capacity to allow bikes to use lanes they rarely use isnt making things any better on the roads. pollution is on the up are traffic is made ten times worse by reducing the roads cars can use

So your solution is to do what? The difference between term time traffic and holidays is amazing - I'm pretty certain most of those journeys would be done by bike in the Netherlands or Denmark. Cycling is easily the most efficient and cheap way for the vast majority of people to get about, but the perception is that it's not safe, so the majority of people don't do it. You can build roads all you want and you'll have exactly the same situation - if you build roads they just fill up with traffic. The only solution is less cars. We have lived quite happily without a car in zone 3 for the past 10 years - most people don't need a car in London, hence half the households in my borough don't own one.

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 11:48 - Feb 10 with 1870 views2Thomas2Bowles

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 11:27 - Feb 10 by Konk

So your solution is to do what? The difference between term time traffic and holidays is amazing - I'm pretty certain most of those journeys would be done by bike in the Netherlands or Denmark. Cycling is easily the most efficient and cheap way for the vast majority of people to get about, but the perception is that it's not safe, so the majority of people don't do it. You can build roads all you want and you'll have exactly the same situation - if you build roads they just fill up with traffic. The only solution is less cars. We have lived quite happily without a car in zone 3 for the past 10 years - most people don't need a car in London, hence half the households in my borough don't own one.

In case you missed it

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 12:00 - Feb 10 with 1855 viewswombat

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 11:27 - Feb 10 by Konk

trouble is konk we can build roads when we want , thats the main diff to amsterdam , etc they have more space to build the area around dam sqaure is bigger and wider than some bloody uk motorways. your right in central london etc bikes would be a better option issue is the people riding them or are you proposing a free for all close the entire central london road network and only let cyclists use them ? maybe allow lorries to only use them in the early hours but dont then complain that prices go up or people complain that the lorries and noise wakes them up as they unload

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 12:01 - Feb 10 with 1852 viewsizlingtonhoop

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 09:37 - Feb 10 by wombat

I checked my options list for the range rover earlier and could see road digger on there funnily enough pot holes are mostly caused by cold and water funnily enough

Started by - yes.

Made bigger by cars.
Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 12:05 - Feb 10 with 1841 viewsAntti_Heinola

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 12:00 - Feb 10 by wombat

trouble is konk we can build roads when we want , thats the main diff to amsterdam , etc they have more space to build the area around dam sqaure is bigger and wider than some bloody uk motorways. your right in central london etc bikes would be a better option issue is the people riding them or are you proposing a free for all close the entire central london road network and only let cyclists use them ? maybe allow lorries to only use them in the early hours but dont then complain that prices go up or people complain that the lorries and noise wakes them up as they unload

no one lives in central london anymore except for oligarchs who are never there, so no issues with early unloading.

Bare bones.

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 12:07 - Feb 10 with 1841 views2Thomas2Bowles

I guess Konk you will be protesting outside the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square at 1pm and marching to HM Treasury for a rally at 2pm tomorrow before high-tailing it to the cottage on your bike.

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 12:08 - Feb 10 with 1839 viewsKonk

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 11:48 - Feb 10 by 2Thomas2Bowles

In case you missed it

Nice one — I could take pictures all day of long of people wearing Hi-viz and helmets. Neither is mandatory, by the way. Personally, I always cycle with a helmet in the UK, my bag cover, overshoes and gloves are all Hi-viz, and in the spring/autumn, I usually wear a Hi-viz gilet. I also run my lights unless it’s midday in June or something. In an ideal world, I wouldn’t have to dress like a twa t to ride my bike, but with the amount of idiots driving, it seems sensible to do what I can to help myself.

There’s a school of thought that says people wearing Hi-viz, helmets etc reinforces the idea in the wider population that cycling is something dangerous that requires special clothing, rather than just being the simple, spontaneous and practical means of getting around that it is in the Netherlands. Do you think pedestrians should wear Hi-viz and helmets? Lots of them seem to get killed and maimed by Motor vehicles, so it would probably be a good idea.

I know some cyclists behave like di cks — I don’t think anyone disputes that. I saw a bloke the other day with no lights, all black clothing and headphones, cycling straight through a red light on one of the biggest, busiest junctions in North London the other day, and he was so busy looking at his phone that he didn’t notice the lorry that almost wiped him out, until it beeped it’s horn. If he’d been hit, my sympathy would have been 100% with the driver. But at the same time, it would take me weeks to real off all the stupid, wan ky things I’ve seen drivers do. My street is a 20mph road — I live on the corner and we’ve had three major crashes in two years in which both cars have been written off, including the one where some cu nt managed to demolish my front garden wall whilst driving without insurance. Cheers. And we’re right by a school and a park, and yet people drive at 40mph+ all the time. Nice.

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 12:14 - Feb 10 with 1826 views2Thomas2Bowles

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 12:08 - Feb 10 by Konk

Nice one — I could take pictures all day of long of people wearing Hi-viz and helmets. Neither is mandatory, by the way. Personally, I always cycle with a helmet in the UK, my bag cover, overshoes and gloves are all Hi-viz, and in the spring/autumn, I usually wear a Hi-viz gilet. I also run my lights unless it’s midday in June or something. In an ideal world, I wouldn’t have to dress like a twa t to ride my bike, but with the amount of idiots driving, it seems sensible to do what I can to help myself.

There’s a school of thought that says people wearing Hi-viz, helmets etc reinforces the idea in the wider population that cycling is something dangerous that requires special clothing, rather than just being the simple, spontaneous and practical means of getting around that it is in the Netherlands. Do you think pedestrians should wear Hi-viz and helmets? Lots of them seem to get killed and maimed by Motor vehicles, so it would probably be a good idea.

I know some cyclists behave like di cks — I don’t think anyone disputes that. I saw a bloke the other day with no lights, all black clothing and headphones, cycling straight through a red light on one of the biggest, busiest junctions in North London the other day, and he was so busy looking at his phone that he didn’t notice the lorry that almost wiped him out, until it beeped it’s horn. If he’d been hit, my sympathy would have been 100% with the driver. But at the same time, it would take me weeks to real off all the stupid, wan ky things I’ve seen drivers do. My street is a 20mph road — I live on the corner and we’ve had three major crashes in two years in which both cars have been written off, including the one where some cu nt managed to demolish my front garden wall whilst driving without insurance. Cheers. And we’re right by a school and a park, and yet people drive at 40mph+ all the time. Nice.

So really this is all about your wall

Write to Trump, he has a few ideas about walls

Hi Vis

Do you consider building sites or roads more dangerous.

I did not trick you with a photo. I did not go searching Google maps to find those without helments, it's what it is a shapshot and I don't think it's misrepresenting the fact that so many DON'T wear helmets or Hi Vis
[Post edited 10 Feb 2017 12:21]

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 12:23 - Feb 10 with 1803 viewsrobith

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 11:06 - Feb 10 by 2Thomas2Bowles

I find it interesting you are so interested in helmets

A series of studies has shown

1. If you're hit hard enough to be killed, a helmet is likely to simply hold your brains in place for the coroner

2. Mandatory helmet laws increase cycling fatalities by suppressing cyclist numbers which decreases the safety of cyclists overall

3. Cyclists wearing helmets take greater risks as they think they are safe (see point 1)

4. Helmets make drivers act more aggressively towards cyclists believing they can't hurt them (potentially also tied to psychological factors such as being able to be meaner to someone when you can't see their face). Drivers also get more lenient sentences for driving offences against cyclists than pedestrians as helmets are often used to deflect attention from the offences of drivers, even when they're children:

http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/inquest-opened-death-barton-schoolgirl/stor

"The inquest opened by revealing the young cyclist had not been wearing a helmet" - not of course with the fact that the driver was drunk at the wheel.

Yours,

A Professional Pedestrian
Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 12:47 - Feb 10 with 1765 viewsKonk

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 12:00 - Feb 10 by wombat

I know that cycling’s not practical for everyone and that there are lots of journeys that require a car or van, but if you eliminated the journeys that don’t need to be done by car — school runs, people driving two minutes to the shops etc, dropping kids off at mate’s houses etc — then you would go a long way to cutting traffic and pollution, meaning that the people who needed to use their cars/vans/lorries, got where they were going quicker. I’ve got friends in Amsterdam, Delft, Utrecht and Nijmegen — and those that own a car, only tend to use them for travelling long distances either at home or abroad. It just doesn’t cross their minds that you would drive your kid into town rather than just pop them on your bike or cycle alongside them. My mate’s Nan is still cycling everywhere and she’s in her eighties. My mates do their supermarket shop by filling up paniers and rucksacks and taking the kids with them too for a bit of extra help if it’s a big shop. At the weekend, it often takes people 45 minutes+ to get out of the car park at my local Sainsburys. Get people onto bikes and you get a healthier population, less stressful commutes, cleaner air and a more pleasant environment, where you can actually sit outdoors in a city centre and not be slowly poisoned to the sound of roaring engines. We can’t carry on as we are and it seems to me that cycling could be a partial solution to our health and pollution crisis, and overburdened transport networks. If it works in the Netherlands, there’s no reason at all it couldn’t work in the UK.

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 12:52 - Feb 10 with 1748 viewsKonk

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 12:14 - Feb 10 by 2Thomas2Bowles

So really this is all about your wall

Write to Trump, he has a few ideas about walls

Hi Vis

I did not trick you with a photo. I did not go searching Google maps to find those without helments, it's what it is a shapshot and I don't think it's misrepresenting the fact that so many DON'T wear helmets or Hi Vis
[Post edited 10 Feb 2017 12:21]

I'm not suggesting you spent ages finding that photo - plenty of people wear neither. My own feeling is that significantly more than half of cyclists I see on my commute, wear a helmet. Quite a bit of Hi-viz knocking about too. And as I said, a lot of pedestrians seem to get killed or maimed crossing the road, walking on the pavement etc; should pedestrians wear Hi-Viz, helmets and flashing lights? Or should people drive at sensible speeds, pay attention to the road and not do 40mph down residential streets whilst looking at their phones?

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 12:58 - Feb 10 with 1740 viewsLunarJetman

I've just popped out to lunch up in Central London (near Marble Arch) and seen one cyclist bombing along the pavement and another completely ignore the red lights to cut across a cross roads through the pedestrians...

I don't doubt that there are some sensible law abiding cyclists out there but the vast majority of the ones I see on a daily basis are total tw@s
Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 13:05 - Feb 10 with 1727 views2Thomas2Bowles

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 12:52 - Feb 10 by Konk

I'm not suggesting you spent ages finding that photo - plenty of people wear neither. My own feeling is that significantly more than half of cyclists I see on my commute, wear a helmet. Quite a bit of Hi-viz knocking about too. And as I said, a lot of pedestrians seem to get killed or maimed crossing the road, walking on the pavement etc; should pedestrians wear Hi-Viz, helmets and flashing lights? Or should people drive at sensible speeds, pay attention to the road and not do 40mph down residential streets whilst looking at their phones?

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 13:09 - Feb 10 with 1716 viewsizlingtonhoop

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 02:03 - Feb 10 by Boston

I'm genuinely interested in this hypothesis.

Making various assumptions and using envelope backs to do the math (as many of your neighbours probably say), I reckon I and my bike are exerting around 40% more pressure on (my tiny bit of) the road than a car; with the car exerting 2000% more force (the afore mentioned F=ma bit).

Cross cancel that if you will, and it's gonna be the car doing the more damage (I'm sure).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024