Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Staying in the Borough 21:10 - Nov 14 with 18813 viewsNW10Hoop

We make a big deal about any new ground being as close to Loftus Road as possible. But if the only realistic option in the borough and more specifically W12 is Scrubs, should we start getting our head around moving further? Would opening the search out to the boroughs of Brent, Ealing and Hillingdon be a complete no no? Just thinking there’d be more choice, possibly cheaper land, and if you show you’re prepared to move, maybe Hammersmith and Fulham will re-evaluate our standing given all the great community work QPR are responsible for.

I have long been priced out of raising a family in Shepherds Bush, I guess many of you have too. It’s a far different place than it was 20 years ago. Would it be terrible if the club looked west in the way loads people who grew up in Shepherds Bush already have?

Just wondering really, and interested to know everyone’s thoughts

Edit - I’d obviously want the team to remain in what I see as QPR territory, but being half a mile away from current HQ wouldn’t be the only selling point to me. For example If it were 3 miles up the road but near good transport links loads of nice boozers and we could build a stadium exactly to our liking - that would probably feel like a better option than the Linford Christie site to me.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2018 21:24]
Staying in the Borough on 12:05 - Nov 20 with 3740 viewstraininvain

Staying in the Borough on 17:39 - Nov 15 by hubble

Ruislip isn't cool. Ealing isn't cool. Acton isn't cool. The Bush is still cool. It still has an edge, it's in London, it's not a f*cking suburb FFS. I don't want us to be a suburban bloody club. We're West London, central, edgy, cool, crazy, amazing demographic, metropolitan.... We've got to stay in this area. It's more about the area and the soul than the badge for me. If the club built a ground somewhere up the A40 that would be it for me. Over.

You've hit the nail on the head. Location is key.
Staying in the Borough on 16:10 - Nov 20 with 3596 viewshubble

Looks like LCS could be moving forward.

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/qpr-boost-to-w12/

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Staying in the Borough on 17:07 - Nov 20 with 3521 viewscolinallcars

Staying in the Borough on 16:10 - Nov 20 by hubble

We can only hope.....
Staying in the Borough on 18:00 - Nov 20 with 3467 viewsrichranger

We've actually played on that site before! It used to be the Gun Club, and we played there in the 1890s. Will be like returning home :>)
Staying in the Borough on 00:32 - Nov 21 with 3258 viewswombat

Staying in the Borough on 07:46 - Nov 20 by QPR_Jim

Imperial college are reported to be spending 1bn on the campus/research facility. At the time they purchased the land they had already got the land North of the A20 for an accomodation block. So I would assume that they would have had the motivation and resources to outbid QPR even if we were interested.

Don’t think they got it in the end , shed loads of flats going up now , social housing , shops , doctors. Surgery similar development to what’s Been built at Paddington in the last ten years but not as expensive , shame as the land for that location was pretty much a steal esp with Westfield etc being next door . Shame it didn’t give us much return that the the. Board wanted

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Staying in the Borough on 00:49 - Nov 21 with 3244 viewstimcocking

Can't we do what the pikeys do and just move in somewhere whether we're allowed or not?
Staying in the Borough on 11:55 - Nov 21 with 3079 viewsLunarJetman

Staying in the Borough on 16:10 - Nov 20 by hubble

"The study was commissioned by QPR after suggestions from fans and local residents to quantify the club’s economic and social benefit to W12."

Surely seasoned and successful businessmen would have done this from the word go without having to have it pointed out by fans and residents??
Staying in the Borough on 18:36 - Nov 21 with 2908 viewsGloucs_R

Interesting statement https://www.lbhf.gov.uk/articles/news/2018/11/statement-responding-queens-park-r

Poll: Are we staying up?

Login to get fewer ads

Staying in the Borough on 18:48 - Nov 21 with 2891 viewsHarbour

Staying in the Borough on 18:36 - Nov 21 by Gloucs_R

Interesting statement https://www.lbhf.gov.uk/articles/news/2018/11/statement-responding-queens-park-r

Reading that it appears LB H&F think we are asking for the LC stadium site for free....is that correct?...the statement appears to be saying this has little chance of happening. Interesting they want the owners to give up part of the club to fans. Appears to be a number of hurdles to get over I am not optimistic about this ever happening.
Staying in the Borough on 18:50 - Nov 21 with 2889 viewsdavman

I like that response, particularly the call for the owners to give some ownership / equity to the fans or the community. Our VERY VERY rich owners cannot expect to play on the heart strings to get a cut price deal and we should not berate the council for trying to get investment in li e with the value of their land.

It may be our last chance to stay in the Borough, but if it is too expensive, then we may have to look further afield whether the fans like it or not.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Staying in the Borough on 18:58 - Nov 21 with 2873 viewsEsox_Lucius

Staying in the Borough on 11:55 - Nov 21 by LunarJetman

"The study was commissioned by QPR after suggestions from fans and local residents to quantify the club’s economic and social benefit to W12."

Surely seasoned and successful businessmen would have done this from the word go without having to have it pointed out by fans and residents??

If you take a look at the Lee Hoos interview he did with Clive you'll find reference to the point that petitions to the council for using LCS would hold more sway if coming from fans and locals than from a "big club looking to make millions" (paraphrased)

The grass is always greener.

Staying in the Borough on 19:09 - Nov 21 with 2849 viewscolinallcars

Help QPR improve their stadium ? There clearly isn't much that can be done to increase capacity or make it suitable for other activities. As for consulting residents, much of our support comes from outside the borough now, so I don't know how non QPR residents would respond. Looks hopeless I'd say.
Staying in the Borough on 19:18 - Nov 21 with 2840 viewsQPR_Jim

Staying in the Borough on 18:50 - Nov 21 by davman

I like that response, particularly the call for the owners to give some ownership / equity to the fans or the community. Our VERY VERY rich owners cannot expect to play on the heart strings to get a cut price deal and we should not berate the council for trying to get investment in li e with the value of their land.

It may be our last chance to stay in the Borough, but if it is too expensive, then we may have to look further afield whether the fans like it or not.

I don't think we were pulling on any heart strings, just trying to quantify the value of the club to the community. If they don't value the match day revenue and community work the club does then that's ok, they can fill in the gaps if/when we leave the borough, on top of redeveloping LC stadium as the (fairly one sided) report from friends of wormwood scrubs (or whoever) said was necessary. Incidentally the council didn't issue a statement about that report, so seems like they've already made their mind up.

I think we should be proud of the work our community trust does and shouldn't be ashamed of promoting that to highlight our importance to the borough and assist us in securing a new stadium locally to continue and build on that work.
Staying in the Borough on 21:05 - Nov 21 with 2723 viewsPeterHucker

That statement sounds a lot like a very lengthy discussion I had over the summer with a Hammersmith and Fulham councillor.
The summary of which would be that the council would be supportive of QPR building a new stadium at the Linford Christie site. But they want QPR to stump up the actual price for it instead of just releasing press statements and carrying out surveys.
Staying in the Borough on 21:08 - Nov 21 with 2721 viewsdaveB

have to say the council have a point. We've had a result getting Warren Farm for nothing and now want the fans to pay for it to be built we cant expect to be given this as well.

I'd assumed we would be paying for the land to build the stadium and they are well within their rights to want what it is worth
Staying in the Borough on 21:24 - Nov 21 with 2704 viewskensalriser

That's a pretty strong statement. It may be public posturing, but I hope the club isn't taking anything for granted after the Old Oak debacle.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Staying in the Borough on 21:33 - Nov 21 with 2687 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Staying in the Borough on 21:08 - Nov 21 by daveB

have to say the council have a point. We've had a result getting Warren Farm for nothing and now want the fans to pay for it to be built we cant expect to be given this as well.

I'd assumed we would be paying for the land to build the stadium and they are well within their rights to want what it is worth

Good post.

I'm sure the club will respond. Will be interesting.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Staying in the Borough on 08:02 - Nov 22 with 2504 viewsdavman

Staying in the Borough on 21:08 - Nov 21 by daveB

That was exactly my point. Yes, the club does loads for the community and yes there is a economic positive of 12,000 punters walking round the area on 23 days during the football season, but why should that mean the land gets sold on the cheap? I am sure that there are many businesses that could say the same thing, but we'd be up in arms if our council flogged land off cheap to a cinema, theatre or restaurant chain, wouldn't we?

Anyway, the point I like most is their suggestion to our extremely rich owners to give some of the ground (if they get it) to a fans group or the community. That would be a way of testing their resolve; if they are here for a long time, then surely it doesn't matter if they own it, or the fans do, does it? That is a statement of intent whereby the owners are doing something for the fans and the long term stability and sustainability of the club rather than getting stuff on the cheap just to line their own pockets...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Staying in the Borough on 08:04 - Nov 22 with 2498 viewsHayesender

Anyone know roughly how much the land Loftus rd is on, compared to the land at LCS?

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Staying in the Borough on 08:22 - Nov 22 with 2481 viewsCiderwithRsie

It's obviously right that the council should get its money's worth for the land and any of us who live in the borough ought to support them in that.

The comment at the end about QPR giving up a bit of its ownership to the community is interesting - presumably meaning that some of the price of the land might be paid for by giving the council (or maybe community groups) shares in QPR. That could be quite a good way of keeping the cash price affordable while strengthening links with the council.
Staying in the Borough on 08:24 - Nov 22 with 2477 viewsconnell10

If its true what the council are saying i totally agree with them, why shouldnt we pay the price the land is worth , i also think giving over some control to fans is a brilliant idea! Ball firmly in Rangers owners court , either put up or shut up!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Staying in the Borough on 09:26 - Nov 22 with 2409 viewsblacky200

Staying in the Borough on 08:24 - Nov 22 by connell10

If its true what the council are saying i totally agree with them, why shouldnt we pay the price the land is worth , i also think giving over some control to fans is a brilliant idea! Ball firmly in Rangers owners court , either put up or shut up!

The thing about giving over part of the ownership is that do the people who have those shares also become partly responsible for the debts and FFP fine? Also giving over a small number of shares in the club will not give these people any say over the running of it.
Staying in the Borough on 09:56 - Nov 22 with 2375 viewsR_from_afar

I may have missed something, but where has the club said that they expect to get the land for free? Obviously, QPR's owners would like that, but even if you have land, the battle to get something built is far from over. There are lots of other hurdles, like the council's support and that of the local residents, planning issues, impact assessments...

My assumption was that QPR's research was designed to try to convince the council that turning the LCS into QPR's new stadium is the best use of the site, so, an appeal for support, not a freebie.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Staying in the Borough on 10:55 - Nov 22 with 2297 viewsdaveB

The Council are quite rightly going to look at the QPR board and see no one from the Community Trust involved just a group of people who went big on taking prime land in Old Oak and who are developing houses on that land now. They are right to ask what the motives are and if the club are full of hot air when it comes to this community stuff.

The worlds were strong from the Council but done to ensure they get a reaction from the club, a kind of put up or shut up deal.

I don't think this new fans group biting back with an statement is going to help matters. Nice we have fans involved but really it should be the Community Trust at the front of this to show we mean what we say, throwing a few well meaning fans into bat for the club seems a bit daft to me
Staying in the Borough on 11:39 - Nov 22 with 2225 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Staying in the Borough on 10:55 - Nov 22 by daveB

The Council are quite rightly going to look at the QPR board and see no one from the Community Trust involved just a group of people who went big on taking prime land in Old Oak and who are developing houses on that land now. They are right to ask what the motives are and if the club are full of hot air when it comes to this community stuff.

The worlds were strong from the Council but done to ensure they get a reaction from the club, a kind of put up or shut up deal.

I don't think this new fans group biting back with an statement is going to help matters. Nice we have fans involved but really it should be the Community Trust at the front of this to show we mean what we say, throwing a few well meaning fans into bat for the club seems a bit daft to me

All fair points.

I would also point out - as a general comment - that these words from the council are possibly over-strong as part of a negotiating tool.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024