Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Manager sacked! 16:25 - Mar 27 with 1748 viewsLeadbelly

Essex club's recent slump in form leads to manager's sacking

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47706545

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Manager sacked! on 18:44 - Mar 27 with 1718 viewsbwildered

Also note that Yeovil manager Darren Way has been sacked, with ex U's centre half Neale Marmon now interim .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Manager sacked! on 20:25 - Mar 27 with 1708 viewseagledares

Knew it wouldn't be long, he got the vote of confidence from the board last week.
Manager sacked! on 12:09 - Mar 28 with 1668 viewsgerry_us

Got my hopes up when I saw the this thread's title...but then badly dashed.
I didn't even know Phil Brown had departed; that's how much I am interested in Sarfend.
Manager sacked! on 13:53 - Mar 28 with 1657 viewsnoah4x4

We perhaps need to keep some perspective....

McGreal's record this season is Played 39, Won 16, Drawn 9, lost 14.
Percentage wins 41%

Southend this season is P39, W12, D6, L21.
Percentage wins 30.7%

Ipswich this season is P38, W3, D15, L20.
Percentage wins 7.9%

The Colchester career wins records of sacked U's Managers in modern times are;

Humes, 32.8%
Ward 29.7%
Dunne 28.4% (final spell).
Williams 29.8% (second spell)

Hence, Chris Powell (30.6%) was at their level. Suggests the 30% threshold is where both fan and owner patience runs out.

Our best modern managers at Col Utd have been;

Lambert 45.2% wins
Boothroyd 43.2%
Parkinson 42.8%
McGreal (this season only) 41%

OK, we have lost three on the trot. But Southend have not won in eleven which is a quarter of a season. The U's slump coincides with injury and suspension of key players. At least we know what the problem is and frankly, McGreal's current season record is matching the best of his modern day peers. I can't see why so many want to write him off. .
Manager sacked! on 16:36 - Mar 28 with 1636 viewswessex_exile

Manager sacked! on 13:53 - Mar 28 by noah4x4

Percentage wins 41%

Percentage wins 30.7%

Percentage wins 7.9%

Humes, 32.8%
Ward 29.7%

Hence, Chris Powell (30.6%) was at their level. Suggests the 30% threshold is where both fan and owner patience runs out.

Lambert 45.2% wins
Boothroyd 43.2%
Parkinson 42.8%

OK, we have lost three on the trot. But Southend have not won in eleven which is a quarter of a season. The U's slump coincides with injury and suspension of key players. At least we know what the problem is and frankly, McGreal's current season record is matching the best of his modern day peers. I can't see why so many want to write him off. .

I've made the point about Boothroyd previously, one of our most successful modern-era managers, but everyone ended up hating the way we played...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Manager sacked! on 16:46 - Mar 28 with 1632 viewsLeadbelly

Manager sacked! on 12:09 - Mar 28 by gerry_us

Got my hopes up when I saw the this thread's title...but then badly dashed.
I didn't even know Phil Brown had departed; that's how much I am interested in Sarfend.

Was hoping for a bite or two!

Manager sacked! on 17:00 - Mar 28 with 1628 viewsLeadbelly

Manager sacked! on 13:53 - Mar 28 by noah4x4

Percentage wins 41%

Percentage wins 30.7%

Percentage wins 7.9%

Humes, 32.8%
Ward 29.7%

Lambert 45.2% wins
Boothroyd 43.2%
Parkinson 42.8%

Since Christmas we've secured 16 points from 16 games. Only Yeovil, Notts County and Port Vale have fewer. The slump has been going on for longer than the recent spate of injuries and suspensions.

What many fans feel is that teams have worked us out since we started playing against them for the second time this season. Many also feel, on paper at least, the squad this season looks much better than for a long time, certainly in McGreal's time in charge.

He's now had three years in the job but we don't seem to be progressing very far. Don't imagine he will be leaving any time soon though, unless he decides to go. Even if he did what are the chances of an external appointment? Pretty slim. And who would be the next internal appointment?

Manager sacked! on 17:49 - Mar 28 with 1620 viewsgerry_us

Manager sacked! on 17:00 - Mar 28 by Leadbelly

Since Christmas we've secured 16 points from 16 games. Only Yeovil, Notts County and Port Vale have fewer. The slump has been going on for longer than the recent spate of injuries and suspensions.

What many fans feel is that teams have worked us out since we started playing against them for the second time this season. Many also feel, on paper at least, the squad this season looks much better than for a long time, certainly in McGreal's time in charge.

He's now had three years in the job but we don't seem to be progressing very far. Don't imagine he will be leaving any time soon though, unless he decides to go. Even if he did what are the chances of an external appointment? Pretty slim. And who would be the next internal appointment?

I heard the tea lady in the home end has a bit of interest in football!
Login to get fewer ads

Manager sacked! on 18:38 - Mar 29 with 1549 viewsbwildered

The next two internals must be Brown and Horlock, both have managed Maldon & Tiptree and the academy side. Wondering if a internal appointment actually hampers the clubs progress due to no Football League experience.
All the stats are Intresting, but not a L2 level !!

Manager sacked! on 11:55 - Apr 1 with 1477 viewsburnsieespana

Odd time to sack a Manager with only a few games left and nobody coming in immediately!
Smiled at Roy McDonaugh's facebook page when he said he was booking a flight and somebody added a comment along the lines"Roy your popularity at Colchester will rise greatly if you took Southend down"!
Manager sacked! on 18:33 - Apr 2 with 1452 viewsbwildered

Name is Bond ......

..Kevin Bond, the new manager of the Kursaal non- flyers , appointed until the end of season, and to keep the First City link, the son of John.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2019 7:06]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024