Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
John McGreal 07:53 - Jul 5 with 8858 viewsthrillseeker

Big rumours there has been an approach or will be for him.

In Birkenhead it is being said Tranmere want JM to replace Micky Mellon should MM decide to take the Dundee Utd job.

I had even read JM had already quit the U's

Could be an interesting few days - will the rumour be true?
John McGreal on 12:44 - Jul 7 with 1954 viewsmfb_cufc

John McGreal on 09:54 - Jul 7 by thrillseeker

https://www.thesackrace.com/teams/tranmere-rovers

2-1 favourite for the Tranmere job

McGreal is evens with Skybet to get the job. The Gazette are running a story today saying he is linked to the job.

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/sport/18565876.colchester-united-boss-john-mcgrea

mfb

John McGreal on 12:48 - Jul 7 with 1967 viewsgerry_us

Am I missing something here?
How the hell can McG be at the top of the pile with his record? Do Tranmere know something we don't know? However there are a few candidates that I wouldn't object to see at the U's.
John McGreal on 13:00 - Jul 7 with 1958 viewsbwildered

Question one Mr McG from the Rovers interview. Why have you failed to get Colchester promoted while under your charge ?

Next .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

John McGreal on 13:03 - Jul 7 with 1956 viewsthrillseeker

John McGreal on 12:48 - Jul 7 by gerry_us

How the hell can McG be at the top of the pile with his record? Do Tranmere know something we don't know? However there are a few candidates that I wouldn't object to see at the U's.

I agree there are a good few candidates listed that I would like to see at CUFC but can only dream
John McGreal on 14:56 - Jul 7 with 1920 viewsburnsieespana

Tranmere fans certainly seem in agreement they don't want a fifty something retread so John Mc at 48 fits the profile!
See Robbie Fowler also being touted for the Birmingham job.
If John Mc does go I see a worry that Humes might come back as would certainly be a cost cutting exercise so gotta be careful what we wish for!
John McGreal on 15:14 - Jul 7 with 1913 viewsdurham_exile

John McGreal on 14:56 - Jul 7 by burnsieespana

Tranmere fans certainly seem in agreement they don't want a fifty something retread so John Mc at 48 fits the profile!
See Robbie Fowler also being touted for the Birmingham job.
If John Mc does go I see a worry that Humes might come back as would certainly be a cost cutting exercise so gotta be careful what we wish for!

burnsie let's get in first.

HUMES OUT!

Wayne Brown must be favourite if the vacancy arises.

But any from the list I referred to ealier would do I'm sure!

Up the U's
[Post edited 7 Jul 2020 15:18]

Durham_exile

John McGreal on 15:21 - Jul 7 with 1911 viewsdurham_exile

John McGreal on 12:48 - Jul 7 by gerry_us

Gerry - JM has had his CV hacked and some interesting addendums added or taken away!!!!

Definitely time for a change at the helm.

Wayne Brown favourite for the job!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

John McGreal on 15:44 - Jul 7 with 1893 viewsmfb_cufc

John McGreal on 11:07 - Jul 7 by durham_exile

TS, what a list of luminaries he is heading up:

Robbie Fowler
Nigel Adkins
Paul Tisdale
David Unsworth
Nigel Clough
David Flitcroft
Lee Johnson
Kevin Nolan

RC better get planning now.

Oh and in other news Jamille Matt recently released by the Exiles would be a great fit for us in the striking department.

I can read it already "Jamille for the Super U's decorates the opponents goal with a great Matt finish to a sweeping Colchester move".

Up the U's
[Post edited 7 Jul 2020 11:09]

As we have released four decent players who would have probably signed a new contract if they were offered one, I can't see us signing anybody this season. We had a big squad last season, and with money being short I feel we will go with what we have got left.

mfb

Login to get fewer ads

John McGreal on 19:07 - Jul 7 with 1862 viewsdurham_exile

John McGreal on 15:44 - Jul 7 by mfb_cufc

As we have released four decent players who would have probably signed a new contract if they were offered one, I can't see us signing anybody this season. We had a big squad last season, and with money being short I feel we will go with what we have got left.

Mick the only problem we have lost two strikers and we desperately need at least one but better two replacements.

Still a new manager might bring in Slew plus one

Up the U's

Durham_exile

John McGreal on 19:21 - Jul 7 with 1857 viewsbwildered

Have I gone lockdown stir crazy but, why would we offer the possible vacant position to Humes ?
What would happen to Steve Ball's position ? Why would we want to resign any of the Colchester Four if we have already released them ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

John McGreal on 22:37 - Jul 7 with 1800 viewsmfb_cufc

John McGreal on 19:07 - Jul 7 by durham_exile

Mick the only problem we have lost two strikers and we desperately need at least one but better two replacements.

Still a new manager might bring in Slew plus one

Up the U's

Durham I quite agree we do need at least one striker, but if we can't afford to keep Frank, i can't see how we can afford a replacement. When I said we won't make any signings I meant any permanent ones. We could bring in some loans as long as their clubs pay all the wages.

mfb

John McGreal on 23:26 - Jul 7 with 1785 viewsdurham_exile

John McGreal on 22:37 - Jul 7 by mfb_cufc

Durham I quite agree we do need at least one striker, but if we can't afford to keep Frank, i can't see how we can afford a replacement. When I said we won't make any signings I meant any permanent ones. We could bring in some loans as long as their clubs pay all the wages.

Mick I know it is going to be a problem given the financial situation.

My point is Big Frank and Theo have gone and that leaves us short in the striking department.

Junior has gone too so we are in dire straits.

Loan signings are how we can survive but if we could afford Jamille Matt he would be an excellent signing.

if JM goes then we need to secure a new manager ASAP.

Grim times indeed.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

John McGreal on 11:35 - Jul 8 with 1741 viewsmfb_cufc

The latest Skybet price for McGreal to be Tranmere manager is 1/3. Seems like they think it is done deal going by that price.

mfb

John McGreal on 13:08 - Jul 8 with 1718 viewsMoor_Pinot

John McGreal on 11:35 - Jul 8 by mfb_cufc

The latest Skybet price for McGreal to be Tranmere manager is 1/3. Seems like they think it is done deal going by that price.

Good odds then Mick, he's had five years and some very good players with which he has achieved 8th place and a lucky 6th this year which may have been 8th if we'd played all our games. We also had a good Lg Cup Run.

Ignoring that, we need a striker much more importantlly. Maybe Brown would be a success under a new boss and no signings - which is as everyone says the likely scenario in these times - would be made. If a few quid were available the new man may want something different and so Slew could be worth a go - no idea what fee he'd command. Either way I still approach next season glad that we should survive, given our Chairman, and merely curious as to what may unfold. Under McGreal I sort of feel I already know we'd be 8th, good sometimes, very good occasionally and listless, ill-prepared and feeble on many other outings..

Moor Pinot

John McGreal on 21:15 - Jul 8 with 1623 viewsmfb_cufc

McGreal has eased to 4/7 as there has been money for somebody called Anthony Barry. Never heard of him. After looking on wiki found out he is an ex non league footballer who was released by Wrexham in 2017, and doesn't appear to have done anything since. Palios said they have had a lot of quality applications. If that is true why is this nobody a clear second favourite to get the job.

mfb

John McGreal on 23:01 - Jul 8 with 1605 viewsdurham_exile

John McGreal on 21:15 - Jul 8 by mfb_cufc

McGreal has eased to 4/7 as there has been money for somebody called Anthony Barry. Never heard of him. After looking on wiki found out he is an ex non league footballer who was released by Wrexham in 2017, and doesn't appear to have done anything since. Palios said they have had a lot of quality applications. If that is true why is this nobody a clear second favourite to get the job.

Maybe Tranmere can't afford JM.

Frankly this matter needs sorting and fast.

There is enough uncertainty at present and were JM to go then we need a replacement lined up quickly especially if the season does restart in the middle of September.

Equally if JM isn't going then come out and tell the club, supporters and media so we can put the matter to bed.

Shades of Mike Bassett when he was sponsored by Wirral Rubbish!!!!!!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

John McGreal on 13:53 - Jul 9 with 1526 viewsburnsieespana

Tranmere Chairman on record also saying no hurry as not even got a fixture list so guess he is also trying to save money by delaying appointment for a month.
The previous coach's, etc at Dundee now left so Tranmere fans expect them to follow Mellon although his No 2 has applied for Manager's job although fans do not seem over impressed.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2020 21:00]
John McGreal on 16:11 - Jul 9 with 1500 viewsmfb_cufc

Latest betting from Skybet has McGreal as third favourite now. Latest prices:-

6/4 Anthony Barry 6/4 Robbie Fowler 3/1 John McGreal

It is a market that wouldn't have much interest, but that is a big change in the McGreal price from 1/3 to 3/1.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2020 20:17]

mfb

John McGreal on 09:26 - Jul 14 with 1339 viewsthrillseeker

McGreal has officiially departed

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2020/july/john-mcgreal-departure/
John McGreal on 10:06 - Jul 14 with 1281 viewsgerry_us

John McGreal on 09:26 - Jul 14 by thrillseeker

Common sense prevailed!
John McGreal on 10:08 - Jul 14 with 1277 viewsmfb_cufc

John McGreal on 09:26 - Jul 14 by thrillseeker

Not just departed, but sacked. I find that statement weird when Cowling said he wants to more tightly align the first team with the academy. I thought McGreal would be the right one to do that.

mfb

John McGreal on 10:15 - Jul 14 with 1269 viewsMoor_Pinot

John McGreal on 10:06 - Jul 14 by gerry_us

Common sense prevailed!

Clearly Mr. Cowling's made the decision before any Tranmere speculation. Good on him. He also hints at a future clearly based on the fall-out from this virus. For a small club like ours it'll be interesting to see if his aims work. Impossible even to say one way or the other at the moment but I agree his decision re the departing manager.
Odd times these, and wycum in the championship too, daresay people said the same about us on May 6th 2006.

Moor Pinot

John McGreal on 10:39 - Jul 14 with 1243 viewsFruitbat

I have no qualms about a change of Head Coach having never been a great McGreal fan but I agree with MFB, it's a slightly odd statement. "aligned with the academy" could mean any number of things and hopefully more detail will be forthcoming over the next few days/weeks. Reading between the lines, does it mean that signings of senior players are likely to be few and far between and that, effectively, the first team will be largely populated from the academy? It might be a necessity depending on how hard the finances have been hit since March.
John McGreal on 11:25 - Jul 14 with 1207 viewsgerry_us

Could it be that Wayne Brown is earmarked for the job as he has made a great success at M&T when utilising several youngsters from the Us academy.
Just please, not Humes!
John McGreal on 11:33 - Jul 14 with 1204 viewsburnsieespana

Must say I am staggered and have a certain fear.
We will not, it seems be signing anybody of statue in the foreseeable future and effectively playing boys, so we might folks, be in for a really nasty season struggling to keep out of the relegation zone.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024