Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight 10:33 - Nov 20 with 1237 viewsdurham_exile

The promotion chasing U’s, under the guidance of SB head to Field Mill this evening (7pm kick off) for an intriguing game against rejuvenated Mansfield Town, who are now managed by Nigel Clough.

The first of an away double header that sees us travel to St James’ Park next Tuesday. But first having risen to seventh in the table, we have the chance to keep our league winning sequence this time against the Stags. Now Field Mill is one of those grounds where I normally watch the U’s draw but last season, we managed a 3-2 victory and a similar scoreline tonight would be most satisfying, but it will be difficult simply because Mansfield are in a false league position languishing in 21st. Mansfield must be respected because they have recently triumphed at the Stadium of Light in a FA Cup match.

But this is a strange season not only because of the COVID restrictions but also because we have unearthed a striker who could eclipse 20 goals in a single season for the U’s for the first time since JC and RM.

What Jevani Brown has added to the team is a confidence in front of goal, the ability to score from acute angles and to demonstrate an assuredness that he will create and convert chances either ones that he has made himself or that have been provided to him. It is well documented that we failed to get anything from him last season, but SB should be applauded for giving JB the opportunity and it has worked spectacularly. His pace is frightening, probably only Cohen Bramall in the team is faster over 30 metres.
But he does need support and it seems that Michael Folivi is the player to supply that. SB relented and played the two from the start against Orient (even if there was confusion in the COLU Twitter feed that Josh Bohui was both starting and occupying the bench). They combined effectively and that is what always works well.

I have never been a fan of a single striker, especially away from home where the feeling of isolation is akin to self-isolating at home during lockdown. I know because I have been there!

SB has stated that he is not afraid to tinker with a winning team. I hope the only tinkering that he is considering is the welcome return of Ben Stevenson. Chuck has been a good servant but I see him as a sub to be given 20 minutes or so in the second half unless SB can see an opportunity for him to play as the Number 9 with JB as the number 10 but would SB countenance Folivi as well in the same team. I suspect not.

Perhaps Smith was preoccupied about playing for New Zealand against England at Wembley but once that was squashed because of you know what, he does seem to have played some solid games after some woeful ones. Welch-Hayes and Bramall could become two of the best full backs that we have ever had. Have we truly forgotten about Ryan Jackson already? Also, when we played Stevenage Luke Prosser was anonymous during the match and Brandon Comley was quiet when we played Bolton Wanderers. Only Big Frank seems to still be creating headlines with his shot which was turned into the net by a luckless defender for Plymouth against Pompey in the recently televised Dockyard Derby.

What I am saying is that many of us, myself included, were disappointed when the Colchester four were summarily dismissed at the end of last season. Ethan Ross also left for Lincoln but has only managed only two appearances for the Sincil Bank outfit. The side has been resilient since then and replacements have at least been equal to or more properly greater than their predecessors.

Tom Eastman remains a colossus at the back for Colchester and despite his inconsistency Tommy Smith shows promise. Omar Sowunmi has proved a confident deputy when the opportunity is given to him and perhaps was unlucky not to start against Orient.

In midfield the main difficulty is that SB will not drop his favourite wide midfield players like Senior when the dream team is Stevenson, Pell and Chilvers who has been a revelation this season.

Up front I would like to see Brown, Folivi and Poku or Bohui. Harriott and Gambin are both good players but both drift in and out of games.

Substitutes become even more important this evening with up to five allowed in a league game.

So, starting XI tonight:

Gerken

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Bramall

Pell Stevenson Chilvers

Poku Folivi

Brown

Subs:

George Sowunmi Cowan-Hall Clampin Norris Bohui Senior

Tom Lapslie is close to returning and we also have Miquel Scarlett and Ryan Clampin waiting in the wings. Similarly, Marley Marshall and Samson Tovide.

Greg Halford should not trouble the judges in the Luxembourg Jury, he is yesterday’s player, and we could not justify dispensing with seasoned pros simply to bring someone in who has not played for months.

The weather this evening in Mansfield will be 10 degrees Celsius and sadly more light rain. The pitch will be greasy and possibly heavy but at this time of the year we can expect such surfaces.

The league table looks more promising:

Newport 11 25
Cambridge 12 24
Cheltenham 12 22
Exeter 12 21
FGR 12 21
Carlisle 12 20
COLU 11 19
Port Vale 12 19

Our game in hand is the Scunny match rescheduled for Tuesday 8 December.

And the encouraging news does not just stop with up to 5 subs allowed in a game, there are official noises that supporters could be allowed back into stadia before Christmas. The Morecambe Home game could be a starter for ten, but the prospect of a feisty Boxing Day clash against Southend at Roots Hall with many of the faithful present would be the ultimate Christmas present.

Do not forget the action tonight starts at 1900hrs at Field Mill and Colchester to win a close affair 2-1 to maintain the promotion challenge. Enjoy.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:48 - Nov 20 with 453 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:45 - Nov 20 by gerry_us

Good call Peter

What annoys me is that we can beat any team in this league but we only change it up when we are chasing the game away from home.

With attacking intent we will always score

Durham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:55 - Nov 20 with 439 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:48 - Nov 20 by durham_exile

What annoys me is that we can beat any team in this league but we only change it up when we are chasing the game away from home.

With attacking intent we will always score

Durham for Manager
Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:59 - Nov 20 with 434 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:55 - Nov 20 by gerry_us

Durham for Manager

1-1

We deserved a point
But once again chasing a game when had we attacked from the start we could have won.

Up the U's

Now if SB can be brave we can win at Exeter.

7 shots
3 on target

Gerry I haven't got my coaching badges!

Durham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 21:02 - Nov 20 with 421 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:59 - Nov 20 by durham_exile

1-1

We deserved a point
But once again chasing a game when had we attacked from the start we could have won.

Up the U's

Now if SB can be brave we can win at Exeter.

7 shots
3 on target

Gerry I haven't got my coaching badges!

Did any of our erstwhile managers or even current one have them?
Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 21:02 - Nov 20 with 421 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:45 - Nov 20 by durham_exile

Get in

Now no repeat of Newport

Felt we'd lose tonight and on seeing the team and our woeful lack of attacking intent I felt certain of defeat.
So I'm pleased with the point but I do not understand why we offer so little threat and potency away from home. The prep is wrong as are the tactics. We invite defeat and tonight somehow escaped it. Inexperienced management I spose but it would be so easy to change the ploy, plenty of time in the season too.
Exeter may not be so generous.

Moor Pinot

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 21:10 - Nov 20 with 406 viewsnoah4x4

Humes Out. Then SB can listen to the fans.
Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 22:03 - Nov 20 with 380 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 21:02 - Nov 20 by Moor_Pinot

Felt we'd lose tonight and on seeing the team and our woeful lack of attacking intent I felt certain of defeat.
So I'm pleased with the point but I do not understand why we offer so little threat and potency away from home. The prep is wrong as are the tactics. We invite defeat and tonight somehow escaped it. Inexperienced management I spose but it would be so easy to change the ploy, plenty of time in the season too.
Exeter may not be so generous.

What baffles me is that with our passing and pace, we're set up as a counter-attacking side, but we've managed so little away from home? Can't sniff at only two defeats so far, but four draws isn't a good enough return. Let's hope our home form holds strong and gives us enough time to start to get those things right. Good use of subs from Ball tonight though, at least it shows his intent.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 00:25 - Nov 21 with 356 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 22:03 - Nov 20 by wessex_exile

What baffles me is that with our passing and pace, we're set up as a counter-attacking side, but we've managed so little away from home? Can't sniff at only two defeats so far, but four draws isn't a good enough return. Let's hope our home form holds strong and gives us enough time to start to get those things right. Good use of subs from Ball tonight though, at least it shows his intent.

SB should have started Folivi instead of Senior and he could have then played two up front from the start which would have allowed Brown to express himself.

I once again suggested this formation before the game.

We could have won the game then. Instead we put pressure on ourselves then Gerken's howler handed them a goal and we were chasing the game.

SB should be applauded for bringing on Bohui, Folivi and Chuck Norris but he had to because of earlier failings.

The pattern of the game was not dissimilar to Newport bit they secured a last second winner whereas Mansfield were shocked by our equaliser and settled for a point.

My point remains play two up front from the start give Brown support and service and the goals will come. Two points dropped tonight which now means we must win in Devon on Tuesday.

If SB tries the same lame starting tactic we will lose on Tuesday. He must be confident and give Brown support. Senior must be dropped, he must improve his game rather than simply being played because the manager favours him.

Delighted with the point but annoyed that it was only when the cavalry were brought on that it was made possible.

Lessons to be learned.

Up the U's
[Post edited 21 Nov 2020 0:27]

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 11:14 - Nov 21 with 305 viewsbwildered

One for the goalie gaffs dvd. Teapots from the Captain, but first touch let him down. Only rut has usual is our away form mentally. Winless away in six, four points from 18 , if the current trend continues will never put pressure on other clubs , especially in the automatic places, having to rely on home form.
Potential is there, but the belief in a winning mentality is not, has you need to step over that white line knowing a draw is half measures and a win well within capability.
So come on SB and the boys,prove me wrong .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024