Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U's Reveal Retention List 09:08 - May 14 with 4704 viewsRSCOSWORTH

From official site.

Players under contract for the 2021/22 season:
Dean Gerken
Shamal George
Tommy Smith
Miles Welch-Hayes
Noah Chilvers
Kwame Poku
Brendan Wiredu

Players offered new contracts:
Tom Eastman - Signed - Two year deal
Ryan Clampin - Signed - Two year deal
Sam Cornish - Signed
Billy Cracknell - Signed
Harry Beadle - Signed

Players still awaiting discussions and/or decisions:
Ben Stevenson - Left - Signed for Forest Green
Michael Folivi - Injured - Possible future signing

Players out of contract and released:
Josh Bohui
Jevani Brown
Callum Coulter
Paris Cowan-Hall
Luke Gambin
Callum Harriott
Tom Lapslie
Harry Pell
Courtney Senior
Omar Sowunmi
Diaz Wright

Academy players under contract or offered third year scholorship contracts:
Marley Marshall Miranda
Harvey Sayer
Jake Hutchinson
Al Amin Kazeem
Diogo Freitas Gouviea
Andre Hassanally
Ted Collins
Gene Kennedy
Donnell Thomas
Lordon Alkobirhie
Tom Stagg
[Post edited 23 Jun 2021 10:44]

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

U's Reveal Retention List on 10:12 - May 15 with 1558 viewsDaniel

This has shocked me. I was expecting a bit of a clear out, but I wasn't expecting the cuts to run so deep, especially with some of our best players not even being offered the opportunity to remain at the club!

It also cuts deep with me personally as I had built up a bit of a friendship with Harry Pell over the past year when he auctioned off his League Cup shirt for charity. He'd invited me and my family to the stadium when things returned to normal but that'll obviously never happen now 😔

I believed Robbie Cowling when he said last season was the one we'd taken the hit on and we'd come out stronger, but I can't believe that now and sadly both me and my dad have decided to not renew our season tickets (after 22 years!). 15 years of decline have taken their toll.
U's Reveal Retention List on 10:21 - May 15 with 1552 viewsburnsieespana

Reading between the lines Coleman of Accrington has said they as a club had identified Harry Pell as the one player they wanted to sign some months ago. In my view be naive to think this was not communicated to Harry and n some way.
U's Reveal Retention List on 12:36 - May 15 with 1525 viewsMoor_Pinot

U's Reveal Retention List on 10:21 - May 15 by burnsieespana

Reading between the lines Coleman of Accrington has said they as a club had identified Harry Pell as the one player they wanted to sign some months ago. In my view be naive to think this was not communicated to Harry and n some way.

Yes Burnsie he knew he was off or else he'd never have made those well reported comments about his love for all things Cheltenham and that he 'could see himself back there'.
In lg two I believe you need a Pell type in the side and I hoped he'd stay longer but analytically he was not in the top ten quality footballer wise in the squad, far too many errors etc and he was always a red card in the waiting so I can live with it. Mullins has a big job ahead because shaping so much that is going to be new and unknown alongside promising youngsters from Tiptree in a lingering pandemic will be challenging. I like to think that it may be a worse time for other clubs given our Chairman 's statements but we don't know that for sure. Yes, there seem to be a lot of footballers released but no club has subsided yet. Hopefully none will.

Moor Pinot

U's Reveal Retention List on 20:24 - May 15 with 1460 viewsdurham_exile

U's Reveal Retention List on 10:12 - May 15 by Daniel

This has shocked me. I was expecting a bit of a clear out, but I wasn't expecting the cuts to run so deep, especially with some of our best players not even being offered the opportunity to remain at the club!

It also cuts deep with me personally as I had built up a bit of a friendship with Harry Pell over the past year when he auctioned off his League Cup shirt for charity. He'd invited me and my family to the stadium when things returned to normal but that'll obviously never happen now 😔

I believed Robbie Cowling when he said last season was the one we'd taken the hit on and we'd come out stronger, but I can't believe that now and sadly both me and my dad have decided to not renew our season tickets (after 22 years!). 15 years of decline have taken their toll.

Daniel it could also be worse if Ben Stevenson and Michael Folivi are not persuaded to stay. The three Amigos from Ipswich will obviously be joining us now.

I am sorry about your decsion to not renew your season ticket.

Perhaps you should approach David Gregory re the stadium tour in the light of HP departure.

I have been critical of RC this year and it appears that we have not been told the truth given that we were told that next season we would be in a good financial position. Of course when you are struggling to field 18 players without half of the Under 23's which looks likely a number of otherts might follow your lead.

My philosophy has always been that I support the club, Managers and Chairmen come and go but it is Colchester United that I support.

The team will go on but whether HM will be able to field a side to compete for the top seven remains to be seen. However COVID restrictions notwithstanding I will be at the games when I can and watching via iFollow when I can't.

We do need more honesty though after such a drastic cull of players. Jevani Brown I am especially annoyed about after all he cost £325,000 and up until November last year he was scoring goals for fun. Another big loss to the club.

Anyway, Up the U's

Durham_exile

U's Reveal Retention List on 21:10 - May 15 with 1450 viewsmfb_cufc

Interesting comments from Harry Pell in a Gazette interview.

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/sport/19305645.ex-colchester-united-favourite-har

Also on twitter Paris Cowan-Hall said I was fit for basically the whole of this year for the record. Injuries where not why I didn’t play!!

mfb

U's Reveal Retention List on 21:28 - May 15 with 1449 viewsmfb_cufc

U's Reveal Retention List on 20:24 - May 15 by durham_exile

Daniel it could also be worse if Ben Stevenson and Michael Folivi are not persuaded to stay. The three Amigos from Ipswich will obviously be joining us now.

Perhaps you should approach David Gregory re the stadium tour in the light of HP departure.

I have been critical of RC this year and it appears that we have not been told the truth given that we were told that next season we would be in a good financial position. Of course when you are struggling to field 18 players without half of the Under 23's which looks likely a number of otherts might follow your lead.

My philosophy has always been that I support the club, Managers and Chairmen come and go but it is Colchester United that I support.

The team will go on but whether HM will be able to field a side to compete for the top seven remains to be seen. However COVID restrictions notwithstanding I will be at the games when I can and watching via iFollow when I can't.

We do need more honesty though after such a drastic cull of players. Jevani Brown I am especially annoyed about after all he cost £325,000 and up until November last year he was scoring goals for fun. Another big loss to the club.

Anyway, Up the U's

When RC said we will be in a good financial position next season, that was being based on the salary cap coming in, that is not happening now, and the posibility of clubs going into administration, and that has not happened yet.

The only financial advantage we may have is that all our bills are paid, and some League 2 clubs will be looking to defer theirs. But because of Covid they will probably be allowed to defer them longer than they would otherwise.

mfb

(No subject) (n/t) on 22:29 - May 15 with 1441 viewsBlue4U2

U's Reveal Retention List on 11:18 - May 16 with 1391 viewswessex_exile

U's Reveal Retention List on 20:24 - May 15 by durham_exile

Anyway, Up the U's

Why do you think we haven’t been told the truth? Every club is releasing loads of players, we’re no different, just we don’t have deferred debts yet to repay. Interesting that Pell had decided to leave some time ago, a shame though. As for Jevani, I’m afraid turning it on for 3 months of a 2 year contract just isn’t good enough to warrant another one. Probably another reason why RC will be reluctant to shell out big money any day soon.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Login to get fewer ads

U's Reveal Retention List on 15:31 - May 16 with 1344 viewsburnsieespana

When I reflect on our retained list and what other clubs have done I think we have got it about right sinking as players like Stevenson, Eastman, Clampin resign.
U's Reveal Retention List on 17:27 - May 16 with 1328 viewsbwildered

Judging by Pell’s comments, suggest the treatment of the Colchester Four over spilled in the dressing room this season, hence those without contracts at the end of the season already knew their fate.
Considering Mullins had a experience mentor until seasons end, seems bizarre that he is now given the job of overseeing new squad, with the purse strings probably already tightened.
So likely a ground hog season could be upon us ( sorry folks ).

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

U's Reveal Retention List on 12:21 - May 25 with 1121 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Eastman signs new two year deal.

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2021/may/tom-eastman-signs/

U's Reveal Retention List on 13:30 - May 25 with 1101 viewsthrillseeker

U's Reveal Retention List on 12:21 - May 25 by RSCOSWORTH

Eastman signs new two year deal.

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2021/may/tom-eastman-signs/

Very happy with that
U's Reveal Retention List on 14:05 - May 25 with 1087 viewswessex_exile

U's Reveal Retention List on 13:30 - May 25 by thrillseeker

Very happy with that

Definitely - a couple of good seasons will see him top 500 appearances for the U's.

Up the U's

U's Reveal Retention List on 09:41 - Jun 18 with 897 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Apart from Pell have any of the players we released signed a deal elsewhere yet?

U's Reveal Retention List on 10:29 - Jun 18 with 884 viewsFruitbat

U's Reveal Retention List on 09:41 - Jun 18 by RSCOSWORTH

Apart from Pell have any of the players we released signed a deal elsewhere yet?

Still early days but I don't think so. Only one I've seen linked to another club is Stevenson (Newport and Doncaster) but Ive no idea how credible those sources are (they were on the internet so, probably not very).
U's Reveal Retention List on 11:13 - Jun 18 with 870 viewsLeadbelly

U's Reveal Retention List on 10:29 - Jun 18 by Fruitbat

Still early days but I don't think so. Only one I've seen linked to another club is Stevenson (Newport and Doncaster) but Ive no idea how credible those sources are (they were on the internet so, probably not very).

The number of transfers/signings across the board has been quite low so far. COVID aside, it’s still only mid June. I’m sure activity will grow as preseason training draws closer.

Another explanation could be every other team is aware how poor we were last season and won’t touch our former players with a barge pole!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

U's Reveal Retention List on 12:49 - Jun 18 with 852 viewsbwildered

Most clubs/players return to training on 1st July, that is when activity is more likely to increase.

What I do find bizarre is that some clubs sign players even though they have not got a manager !

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

U's Reveal Retention List on 13:00 - Jun 18 with 849 viewsthrillseeker

U's Reveal Retention List on 11:13 - Jun 18 by Leadbelly

The number of transfers/signings across the board has been quite low so far. COVID aside, it’s still only mid June. I’m sure activity will grow as preseason training draws closer.

Another explanation could be every other team is aware how poor we were last season and won’t touch our former players with a barge pole!

I feel like clubs, players and agents will be playing a game of chicken

I expect a number of clubs not to make any signings until as late as possible in the hope available players will accept a lower wage as something is better than having no contract.

But will players accept lower terms/ shorter contracts?

I doubt it's much fun being a lower league player at this moment in time
U's Reveal Retention List on 13:01 - Jun 18 with 849 viewsburnsieespana

Including our signings so far been a total of 53 in Div 2.
U's Reveal Retention List on 16:04 - Jun 21 with 788 viewsRSCOSWORTH

U's Reveal Retention List on 10:29 - Jun 18 by Fruitbat

Looks like Forest Green for Stevenson. Bit of an odd move that if you ask me.

U's Reveal Retention List on 16:08 - Jun 21 with 782 viewswessex_exile

U's Reveal Retention List on 16:04 - Jun 21 by RSCOSWORTH

Looks like Forest Green for Stevenson. Bit of an odd move that if you ask me.

Done deal now.

https://www.fgr.co.uk/news/rovers-clinch-stevenson-signing

Up the U's

U's Reveal Retention List on 17:35 - Jun 21 with 741 viewsburnsieespana

Close to home would seem the reason.
U's Reveal Retention List on 17:46 - Jun 21 with 736 viewsthrillseeker

A rather sad move

I was expecting him to sign for a Championship or League One club not a same level League Two club as us
U's Reveal Retention List on 18:14 - Jun 21 with 723 viewsdurham_exile

U's Reveal Retention List on 17:46 - Jun 21 by thrillseeker

A rather sad move

I was expecting him to sign for a Championship or League One club not a same level League Two club as us

Totally agree a very strange move.

Will wear Number 7 for FGR.

Given the salary he was on at Col U, the Eco friendly club must have very deep pockets.

Our loss is their gain but why not league one at the very least?

Up the U's

Durham_exile

U's Reveal Retention List on 00:53 - Jun 22 with 682 viewswessex_exile

It’s a buyers market I guess. There will be plenty of players being released who either don’t get a contract at all or drop completely out of the Football League. Getting a new contract at the same level with a team who reached the playoffs last season is probably as good as Ben could expect without playing who blinks first.

Genuinely wish him well.

Up the U's

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024