Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Undiscovered Gems 15:58 - Mar 28 with 5664 viewsQPRSteve

Albums that seem to have passed the majority of people by.

I'll start with the other great band to have come out of Hamburg after the Beatles. Anglo-American-German: Slapp Happy.

Undiscovered Gems on 16:10 - Mar 28 with 3722 viewsdmm

This 1968 album, and the band Family in general, gets missed out in conversations or articles about prog rock which is such a shame. I loved the way it messed with my head back then.

And yes, I know most people hate prog rock.

Undiscovered Gems on 16:13 - Mar 28 with 3708 viewsqpr_1968

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Undiscovered Gems on 16:17 - Mar 28 with 3700 viewsQPRSteve

Undiscovered Gems on 16:10 - Mar 28 by dmm

This 1968 album, and the band Family in general, gets missed out in conversations or articles about prog rock which is such a shame. I loved the way it messed with my head back then.

I love prog rock but i could never get into Family for some reason.
Undiscovered Gems on 16:25 - Mar 28 with 3678 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Undiscovered Gems on 16:35 - Mar 28 with 3652 viewsjohnhoop

Undiscovered Gems on 16:17 - Mar 28 by QPRSteve

I love prog rock but i could never get into Family for some reason.

I think it’s a mistake to classify it as prog rock because that conjures up the idea of bloated long self indulgent tracks. That album is almost the antithesis of prog rock in that it’s full of short little tracks with brilliant melodies and excellent musicianship.
It was the first one I thought of when I saw the thread title too. Maybe more “psychedelic rock” like some of the early Jefferson Airplane stuff.
I can’t do the links but my own entry would be the self-titled first album by the San Francisco band “It’s a Beautiful Day”, although it’s really the standout track White Bird that I’m still playing 50 odd years later.
Undiscovered Gems on 16:55 - Mar 28 with 3606 viewshubble

Noctorum are one of the great undiscovered bands, IMHO. I will confess that they are friends of mine, but I would love their music anyway. They are comprised of Dare Mason and Marty Willson-Piper (The Church, All About Eve, etc.), with many guest musicians along the way. The musical range they cover is amazing, with rock as the core.

This is 'High As a Kite' from their first album, Sparks Lane, which I definitely think is worthy of the title undiscovered gem:

But truly all their albums are brilliant, undiscovered gems (IMHO of course). On a different tip from 'High As a Kite', they fully rock out, on this, 'Mao Tse Tung Kiss' from their third album Honey Mink Forever:

and this is the rock epic, 'You Better Hope You're Not Alone', also from Honey Mink:

And they do prog - or perhaps new-prog - is that a thing? 'New Scientist' also from Honey Mink:

Worth exploring.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2023 16:56]

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Undiscovered Gems on 17:04 - Mar 28 with 3585 viewsericgen34

One of the greatest albums ever from a great band, each song is a gem. The soundtrack to my late teens and one of the best gigs I saw, Town & Country club in 1987 (I think)

Undiscovered Gems on 17:07 - Mar 28 with 3566 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Undiscovered Gems on 16:13 - Mar 28 by qpr_1968

Cheers I just bought the Mp3.

From the 2014 debut Lacus Somniorium.

I saw them Live in Birmingham, they sound just the same live. The newer stuff Is pretty good too.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Login to get fewer ads

Undiscovered Gems on 17:11 - Mar 28 with 3549 viewsLogman

All depends what genres you like. Personally, I like upbeat music with Latin type rhythms and tuneful sequences so if its any such fusions that you might like then I can help. But if it's pretty much any 21st century Western music that you like then I'm afraid I'm a square peg.
Undiscovered Gems on 17:37 - Mar 28 with 3524 viewsSK_hoops

[Post edited 28 Mar 2023 17:39]
Undiscovered Gems on 18:02 - Mar 28 with 3446 viewscolinallcars

Like the OP I liked Slapp Happy and their close counterparts Henry Cow.

Mallard were great but got absolutely nowhere.

Undiscovered Gems on 18:09 - Mar 28 with 3433 viewsRamseyR

1980 Pink Military - Do Animals Believe in God.

Another band championed by John Peel and they were invited in for a few live sessions.

Formed from a talent pool of the scene around Liverpool at the time.

Undiscovered Gems on 18:09 - Mar 28 with 3429 viewsBluce_Ree

No one has heard of Riddle of Steel. Terrible name but they were a post-hardcore band out of Missouri.

I think they were absolutely amazing. All four albums were good but I'm currently enjoying 1985 by them.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Undiscovered Gems on 20:31 - Mar 28 with 3309 viewsSonofpugwash

Great bunch of lads.
Did a tour with them (as Spreadeagle roadie) and Lindisfarne.
Tony Connor brought the house down no sticks drum solo wielding a huge brass hand bell which he smashed the f*ck out of the stage boards.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2023 20:37]

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Undiscovered Gems on 20:48 - Mar 28 with 3267 viewsSonofpugwash

Roger "The Goat" Chapman!
And no we don't all hate prog.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Undiscovered Gems on 20:50 - Mar 28 with 3270 viewsQPRSteve

Undiscovered Gems on 20:31 - Mar 28 by Sonofpugwash

Great bunch of lads.
Did a tour with them (as Spreadeagle roadie) and Lindisfarne.
Tony Connor brought the house down no sticks drum solo wielding a huge brass hand bell which he smashed the f*ck out of the stage boards.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2023 20:37]

A band that had passed me by until a girlfriend introduced me to this in the 8o's. Cracking album.
Undiscovered Gems on 21:43 - Mar 28 with 3194 viewsQPRcounsellor

Undiscovered Gems on 20:50 - Mar 28 by QPRSteve

A band that had passed me by until a girlfriend introduced me to this in the 8o's. Cracking album.

The 1991 album Waterpistol by Scouse band Shack is in my opinion one of the greatest indie albums of all time. Up there with The Stone Roses. Michael Head is still releasing brilliant stuff today and yet is relatively unknown. Check it out on YouTube and thank me later.
Undiscovered Gems on 22:37 - Mar 28 with 3126 viewsted_hendrix

"The Weavers Answer"
"In My Own Time"
And of course;
"Burlesque"

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Undiscovered Gems on 22:41 - Mar 28 with 3103 viewscolinallcars

Undiscovered Gems on 22:37 - Mar 28 by ted_hendrix

"The Weavers Answer"
"In My Own Time"
And of course;
"Burlesque"

Yes, Bandstand was a cracking Family album (geddit?).
I had a few pints with Chapman one night in the Intrepid Fox opposite the Marquee.
Undiscovered Gems on 22:58 - Mar 28 with 3074 viewsqpr_1968

Undiscovered Gems on 21:43 - Mar 28 by QPRcounsellor

The 1991 album Waterpistol by Scouse band Shack is in my opinion one of the greatest indie albums of all time. Up there with The Stone Roses. Michael Head is still releasing brilliant stuff today and yet is relatively unknown. Check it out on YouTube and thank me later.

yeah, just listened to the full album.....very good.

think he formed/joined this band after shack.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Undiscovered Gems on 23:01 - Mar 28 with 3059 viewsdistortR

Undiscovered Gems on 17:37 - Mar 28 by SK_hoops

[Post edited 28 Mar 2023 17:39]

Mush is such a good album.
Undiscovered Gems on 00:23 - Mar 29 with 3022 viewsDannyPaddox

Every time I play this I hear new things. Indefinable. Though some call it Jazz-Twitch.
Undiscovered Gems on 00:33 - Mar 29 with 3013 viewsTacticalR

Air hostess clique

Undiscovered Gems on 01:38 - Mar 29 with 2984 viewsSydneyRs

Undiscovered Gems on 17:04 - Mar 28 by ericgen34

One of the greatest albums ever from a great band, each song is a gem. The soundtrack to my late teens and one of the best gigs I saw, Town & Country club in 1987 (I think)

Definitely not undiscovered here in Oz.
Undiscovered Gems on 01:44 - Mar 29 with 2981 viewsSydneyRs

Not exactly undiscovered I guess, but certainly not as celebrated as other indie artists of the time.

One of my absolute favourite ever albums and the soundtrack to my backpacking times in 95 and 96. Picked up a cheap cassette copy in LA and played it to death.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2023 1:50]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024